• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:29
CEST 16:29
KST 23:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8852 users

[M] (2) Perdition

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-16 14:40:07
November 08 2010 06:15 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Perdition

Images:
Overview: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Angled View: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Analyzer Image: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Old Images:
+ Show Spoiler +
Overview: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Angled View: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Analyzer Image: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Notes:
This is my first reflection symmetric map. It's on the Char tile set. Char is full of rocks, pulsating gooey things and guts apparently. Welcome to Perdition. I hate it. I hope you do too.

P.S. Droopy.

My Map Thread
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
TheAmazombie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States3714 Posts
November 08 2010 06:28 GMT
#2
I dig it just from the look. I will have to check it out more though. I love these 2-player maps like Scrap Station style. They lead to some interesting play.
We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. -Charlie Chaplin
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 08 2010 06:34 GMT
#3
Let's talk through this. Can you expand on your negative feelings? How do you feel when you look at your map?
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 08 2010 06:50 GMT
#4
On November 08 2010 15:34 EatThePath wrote:
Let's talk through this. Can you expand on your negative feelings? How do you feel when you look at your map?

I figured no one actually read that. Nice to know some people do. I don't actually hate it, but I do much prefer rotationally symmetric maps when it comes to two players.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Amadi
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland139 Posts
November 08 2010 07:18 GMT
#5
I don't really hate this, but I can't say I'd love this, either. I don't like the air distance, to begin with, and the mains are boring. The gold in middle is way too risky to be taken under almost any circumstances, and the way expansions are set up is a bit boring. It's not bad in any way, it's just very standard, basic, simple, and forgettable.
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 08 2010 08:04 GMT
#6
On November 08 2010 16:18 Amadi wrote:
I don't really hate this, but I can't say I'd love this, either. I don't like the air distance, to begin with, and the mains are boring. The gold in middle is way too risky to be taken under almost any circumstances, and the way expansions are set up is a bit boring. It's not bad in any way, it's just very standard, basic, simple, and forgettable.

I can't disagree with you. But, I will say that the air distances are comparable to close air on Metalopolis. And I'm not really sure what an exciting main would look like. You'll have to explain that to me.

Also, Any expansion anywhere close to the middle of the map will be difficult to take. Do you think it would make the map better if I removed the gold in the middle? I don't think it would change much, so why not leave it in and make it a slap in the face to your opponent when you're winning and you do take it.

I think the expansion pattern on this style of map has a fine line between safe and impossible. I leaned toward safe. But if a game progresses as far as taking a 4th expansion, there will be definite conflict.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
November 08 2010 09:06 GMT
#7
1 questions, did you turn around the whole map? I thought during your first version of this the bases were at 9 and 12 instead of 3 and 6? ^^ Anyway it still looks somewhat like a BETTER remake of scrap station. What's the rush distance?
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
NastyMarine
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States1252 Posts
November 08 2010 09:12 GMT
#8
I approve of this map.
Treatin' fools since '87
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 08 2010 09:15 GMT
#9
On November 08 2010 18:06 dezi wrote:
1 questions, did you turn around the whole map? I thought during your first version of this the bases were at 9 and 12 instead of 3 and 6? ^^ Anyway it still looks somewhat like a BETTER remake of scrap station. What's the rush distance?

Yes, I did flip it around. I also changed the far away gold... It's probably not the best WIP I had in my thread, but I have trouble doing finishing work on a map unless I have a clear vision of what I want the map to look like. I found the Char tile set easy to work with so I decided to finish it despite its not-so-greatness. Ground rush distances according to the map analyzer are 167.2 main-to-main, and 149.8 nat-to-nat.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Perdition
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
American Samoa77 Posts
November 08 2010 10:57 GMT
#10
In short, I approve.
The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-08 11:08:40
November 08 2010 11:06 GMT
#11
compared to ground distance it looks like flying is really super short distance.

I am interested to know how the rampy "inner circle" plays out considering it being highgroud to control outer circle.

on the symmetrical 1on1 map problem:
when you feel bad about the close distance of bases in 2player symmetrical maps, why did you not switch main and third? then the air close distance issue is kind of solved.
another possibility is to fit another expansion between the two that is long distance or hard to controll unless you have air advantage allow me to shamlessly link to my last map

I think a bigger problem (in 2player symmetrical maps) is to design a centre. it must provide enough space, you need to have access from everywhere, but it has to be controllable at the same time.
therefore I'd love to play on your map and see how the centre(circle thing) with ramps plays!

great stuff for an interesting discussion, guys!
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 08 2010 20:01 GMT
#12
I don't really have any problems with the air distance. I knew it was short when I made it and did what I could to make it reasonable. If it proves to be a problem, I can add air pathing blockers. I have attempted doing a reflection symmetrical map where the mains are far away in the corners. As you noted, with that layout, I had difficulty designing a center that was interesting while leaving room for viable expansions and while not having close rush distances. If I'm going to put the mains in the opposite corners, I might as well make a rotationally symmetric map.

For example, take your suggestion to switch the main and third. This could work, but the changes would be pretty drastic. I would have to remove the high ground ramp path because it would be too close to the main. I would then make it so the two (old) mains connected in order to make the thirds attackable without having to travel through the natural. This would create conflict around the thirds but destroy any idea of an interesting center by splitting the attack paths. I've come to believe that the center space is what makes a map interesting. That space and how it is controlled is key.

Though, my biggest problem with reflection symmetry is that the closer an expansion gets the line of symmetry, the more difficult it becomes to take. Look at Scrap Station and it's thirds. The thirds are too close making them quite difficult to take and because of this, I rarely see plays on the map above two bases. Look at Tendency (Samro's map linked in his post), the fourths are close and if you read the thread many are concerned that a single player might take both of them. It's difficult creating a viable and interesting expansion pattern when you have to so closely and carefully avoid the center without making the map too huge.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
November 08 2010 20:15 GMT
#13
Wow, another great map. It feels like scrap station done right. Going to play a few games on it whenever I get my computer fixed so I can give more feedback. Keep up the good work.
ESV Mapmaking Team
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
November 08 2010 20:56 GMT
#14
Ha, I was being a bit tongue in cheek, though I was riffing on that grain of truth...

The discussion has gone over everything I saw in this map. Yeah, it's more "reasonable" than Scrap Station, but it comes off so bland and vaguely problematic. I really agree with you that a main tenet of good mapmaking is having a good center, and that this is harder on a mirrored 2 player. You achieved good results here.

It really helps to have a theme in mind to play up in your layout, otherwise everything turns out ho-hum unless you get lucky. "What is the purpose of making this map that other maps have not yet achieved?"

In this case, the map is so plain at first glance, but your careful design considerations bear out some interesting mid/late-game possibilities. In fact I think the cosmetics could be leveraged to make things "pop" more, helping to define spaces, which gives the player direction in how to use the map advantageously. This is why char can't have nice things.

I know you've seen it before because you posted in the thread, but I think this map is a great example of the possibilities of mirror 2 player that are still available to experiment with: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=150414
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 08 2010 22:17 GMT
#15
How would you change the cosmetics in order to better define the spaces? When I texture maps, I usually try to make sure each area is distinct from the area next to it. For Example, the main is much darker than the natural, and the third is given more of a red rock texture. So each expansion is separated from each other with difference in textures. Then the main attack path is highlighted with a light dirt texture. Are there other areas which need definition?

I see 5-6 general areas of conflict throughout play: The 2 areas outside of the naturals in the early game and once the rocks have been broken down between the bases, the 2 high ground ramp areas on the central attack path in the mid game, and the area between the fourths in the late game. Am I wrong about these areas? Should these areas be more clearly defined?

Highest Authority does provide one way to assuage the difficulties. Namely, it is much, much larger than Perdition. Highest Authority has a playable area of 168x158 whereas Perdition is 132x132. If I do make another reflection symmetric map I will probably make it slightly bigger, but probably not as big as Highest Authority. Though you will notice that most of the bases are far from the line of symmetry and this does create some very long attack distances. Think about attacking the thirds; they are so far away.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-08 22:53:49
November 08 2010 22:49 GMT
#16
You describe the layout the way I see it. I was more commenting than critiquing. I agree with the "map of europe" approach where adjacent areas are different textures. With Char though, at least for me, the distinction is minor. It's sort of a feeling I get, I guess? Think about it like this. If you were sent to Perdition to do a mission at a specific location but your spaceship won't land precisely there, how would your orders read? "Go to the dark rocks next to the gray-brown rocks, next to the lava." Silly example but that's the only way I can explain it. Imagine the same map redone in Belshir, for instance. There'd be a rocky plateau [main], a grassy U-ridge with a ravine in the middle [gold] and two secluded beaches [third]. The tree lined avenue [fourths] has a gap in the vegetation where you can go behind the pond [corner gold]. (This is just extemporized.) It seems like Char has to work a lot harder to evoke a sense of distinct settings. Personally I find this helps a lot while you're playing.

Working on Char I would probably turn to doodads to fill it out in the style I describe. Just making it up: the thirds would be boneyards with carcasses strewn about. The high ground pods would be rocky pinnacles with spires around the edge. The avenue between fourths would have active lava bubble pits, or some kind of alien lava foliage.

This might be a personal preference thing, or does it seem valid?

Edit: As an addendum, I think you could have a less distinctive map appearance as well, but I find this suits an intentional "dreary wasteland" aesthetic. The layout here is much more "active" though. A wind-blown desert with spaces defined by rock walls can be monotone. There are a lot of curves and ups and downs here that, to me, want to be their own little places.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
November 09 2010 02:57 GMT
#17
There's definitely a lot of detail work that may be difficult to see in the images. I haven't really thought about making it so each area used different doodads. I think if the areas were too different from each other, it might look weird. It is all supposed to be the same place after all.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
December 14 2010 08:37 GMT
#18
--- Nuked ---
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
December 16 2010 14:47 GMT
#19
Updated the OP with a new version.

Changes:
- Moved the ramp to the third.
- Increased the size of the natural choke.
- Decreased the size of the ramps to the center gold.
- Added a third gas to the center gold base.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 23:37 GMT
#20
How exactly can you use the symmetry tool like that? I have trouble with that feature, it's like guess and check.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1387
ComeBackTV 559
SteadfastSC530
TaKeTV 448
LamboSC2328
Rex150
IndyStarCraft 149
EnkiAlexander 45
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 504
LamboSC2 320
Rex 147
IndyStarCraft 145
ProTech135
BRAT_OK 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34783
Shuttle 2627
Horang2 859
EffOrt 847
Light 729
Mini 703
Soma 458
BeSt 342
Stork 323
firebathero 308
[ Show more ]
Rush 236
Hyuk 235
Snow 201
ggaemo 196
ZerO 194
Leta 101
hero 81
Pusan 80
Killer 72
sorry 52
Sharp 41
Shine 38
Shinee 35
Mind 33
Mong 29
Sexy 26
ToSsGirL 26
Trap 25
Yoon 25
soO 24
Aegong 24
Bale 23
Terrorterran 22
Free 17
NotJumperer 14
Sacsri 11
JulyZerg 10
zelot 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8554
Dendi973
qojqva908
Fuzer 170
420jenkins140
Counter-Strike
markeloff502
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1983
crisheroes1222
XaKoH 174
Other Games
singsing2016
B2W.Neo1007
Hui .186
Liquid`VortiX182
ArmadaUGS117
Mew2King108
QueenE102
Chillindude18
Railgan16
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream101
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Gemini_19 8
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2208
League of Legends
• Nemesis2577
• Jankos2197
• TFBlade893
Other Games
• WagamamaTV172
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 32m
Stellar Fest
22h 32m
OSC
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 19h
Online Event
1d 20h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.