• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:13
CEST 16:13
KST 23:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5906 users

[M] (2) Crimson Crater

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 01 2010 09:32 GMT
#1
Crimson Crater
[image loading]


Version: 0.1
Players: 2
Size (Playable): 140x140
Spawn Positions: 1 & 8

Features:
- Outer and inner attack paths
- Open Natural expansion
- Simple, regular stuff

Angled Image: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Analyzer Images: + Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]



Notes:
Back to basics. Regular sized map with simple features. Multiple attack paths radiating from the center. Less experimenting and more just trying to make a good map. Hope you like it. As always, comments and questions are appreciated.

My Other Maps
Moonlit Monastery
Orbital Decay
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
October 01 2010 11:24 GMT
#2
plain, simple and good gameplay I guess, though I will not become a big fan of such a layout.

- the LoSB make it difficult for the defender
- third is very open, I rather take fourth (left hand, that is top left fourth, when starting at 8 and abuse highground at main to siegetankspam atackers from my right)
-central area should be more open (smaller crater, allthough I oike it desgnwise)

if you want to balance things out (left, central, right hand route) I would suggest to move Xl'Naga infront of third and get rif of this ramp, switch gold towards current position of Xel'Naga, probably a bit more towards Nat and make one wider ramp into centre from each side and gain some space for outer gold bases, pathes and centre.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
October 03 2010 19:17 GMT
#3
The only problem that I see is that the natural seems to difficult to defend early on. I mean defend the nat and the ramp to the main. It is too stressful as zerg due to hellions cooking up all of the drones :S.

Reposition the ramp so that it faces the natural instead of your opponents base and/or tighten the choke to the natural by pulling the lava closer to the ramp to the main.

gl
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
October 03 2010 20:22 GMT
#4
Have the above posters played the map?? The issues you guys are talking about are subtle and very spacing dependent. I agree they are things to think about, but you can't recommend tuneups without even seeing it in action.

The offending observations seem more like features of the map, to me. Personally, I think the middle is the coolest (and somehow plainest!) center area I've yet seen on a map, so good job there. I like the texturing; would you be adverse to adding some kind of distinguishing feature (perhaps ornamental) to the main bases? That's the only improvement I can think of from just looking at the pictures.

The basic utilitarian style really makes this a success, kudos.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 04 2010 03:24 GMT
#5
@Samro225am,
- I assume you're speaking of the LoSB near the naturals. Why do you think it makes it harder to defend?
- If you think the fourth is better than the third, then I think I've done a good job. They have their advantages and disadvantages and I like to encourage decision making in my maps.
- I wanted the center to be more constricted while the outside was wider.

@Antares777, The natural and main ramp should be easily defended by two well placed spine crawlers. It's not any more open than Metalopolis. The ramp is pretty close to the natural even if it looks far.

@EatThePath, Thanks. Can you explain more what you mean by adding distinguishing features to the mains? What would be an example?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
October 04 2010 09:40 GMT
#6
On October 04 2010 12:24 BoomStevo wrote:
@Samro225am,
- I assume you're speaking of the LoSB near the naturals. Why do you think it makes it harder to defend?
- If you think the fourth is better than the third, then I think I've done a good job. They have their advantages and disadvantages and I like to encourage decision making in my maps.
- I wanted the center to be more constricted while the outside was wider.


LoSBs:
it makes it hard for the defender because he has to scout up/down to the watchtower to control the outer path. you cannot position your forces close to base. newly aquired forces will be in constant danger of being attacked from centre or from behind LoSBs. I commented on this feature as I think this makes it hard for the player in defense once he is under pressure.

it is interesting though. I think it contributes to the design as one has to decide if you want to take the left or the right path. the comment was not meant to be connected to my comment that i will not become a fan of the layout. i actually did the same in my last map, too, putting LoSBs between naturalö and backdoor ramp. if you do not scout enough you will have to move some forces to the other side of blockers that then are kind of out of position because of the main path into the nat being pretty much on the opposing site of the base.

so I understand this as a design feature, but wanted to emphasize that it makes it hard for the defender. in such a layout i think it is hard for both opponents to expand towards each other, one goes left, the other takes the right path, kind of I guess (I did not play the map)
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
October 05 2010 01:53 GMT
#7
@Samro: I appreciate the comment more now. I think in this case sitting at your main ramp covers you well enough?

@BoomStevo: I just meant that the ground at main and nat looks exactly the same. If it were me, I would paint some lighter spots around the main, or metal shapes, so that you can see immediately where you are.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 06 2010 18:10 GMT
#8
@EatThePath, Ah, I see what you mean now. I used 2 textures for the natural and completely different 2 textures for the main. It's probably hard to tell with these zoomed out views. I may add some metal as you've suggested just to make it clearer and break up the blandness.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 15 2010 20:27 GMT
#9
Working on a few revisions for the map and I thought I'd throw them by everyone first.

Rough Image: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Planned Changes:
- Repositioning the 4th closer to the naturals, thereby making it an easier 3rd base. (Green)
- Making the current 3rd easier to defend by adding cliffs in front of it. (Blue)
- Adding another expansion between the 3rd and 4th. (Red)
- Retexturing the main to make it more unique.
- Moving LoS blockers.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
October 15 2010 21:00 GMT
#10
I'm not sure if it would be to much bases if you add a 5th Oo
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 16 2010 00:34 GMT
#11
On October 16 2010 06:00 dezi wrote:
I'm not sure if it would be to much bases if you add a 5th Oo

I'll probably reduce the number of mineral patches on the expansions, and perhaps make one of them mineral only or have only one gas.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 993
WardiTV768
OGKoka 286
Rex136
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 286
ProTech141
Rex 136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2783
Shuttle 1702
EffOrt 872
BeSt 632
Light 399
firebathero 339
Mini 324
Stork 303
ZerO 277
Rush 237
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 222
Barracks 121
Zeus 84
Shine 80
Killer 64
Hyun 47
sorry 39
Yoon 35
Shinee 29
Sexy 28
ToSsGirL 26
Aegong 25
Mong 23
PianO 23
Bale 21
Terrorterran 18
soO 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
HiyA 10
yabsab 9
Icarus 7
zelot 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
qojqva3082
Dendi1980
BananaSlamJamma343
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes448
Other Games
singsing2247
olofmeister1681
hiko925
B2W.Neo785
Lowko395
Pyrionflax227
Sick214
Liquid`VortiX195
ArmadaUGS105
Mew2King40
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream505
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH298
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2117
• Nemesis1805
• TFBlade501
Other Games
• WagamamaTV262
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 47m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.