• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:27
CEST 10:27
KST 17:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10521 users

[UK-Ire LAN] Planning and Discussion

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 21:52:57
May 15 2010 23:17 GMT
#1
current plans
So you guys are aware, these are just some guideline prices and times. There has been some shifting, but use this post as your guideline. Note, none of these are final or comfirmed.

Dates: 14th & 15th August (possible extra days needed for your travel)
Location: Newcastle
Cost: For LAN entry, we're looking at about £17 for both day's entry.
Accomodation: There are a number of hostels around that I will group book when I have a good idea of numbers.

We have some cool plans with this. My current day plan is:
Day 1: BW tournament and hopefully we can do a Live BIO Finals and drunken escapades.
Day 2: SC2 tournament then some more drunken escapades.
Totalbiscuit said he'd be there, hopefully with some awesome casting equipment. Hope to see a bunch of you from the TSL finals meet too =).

For those travelling:
From Abroad: Newcastle has an airport, so just fly there. There are other options nearby.
From UK: I would suggest the train if you're more than 4 hours away by car. From where I live, I'm looking at 4:20 on the train or 9:30 on a bus.

For those in the south, I may be planning a mini-meet in London for lunch before travelling up on Friday.

Oh, just to point out that Kovutalli is helping out with this so thank him to.

Whys


Venue
As you know, it's super awesome to have a BYOC LAN at someone's house or in a hall due to cheapness and possible free sleep but due to SC2, we pretty much need to have a LAN centre for this as people have reported issues with too many people from the same IP logging onto Bnet.

Location
The two of us generally arranging this (Myself and Kovutalli) live at opposite ends of the country and basically the only option is to pick a venue near one of us. A lot of the local venues near me are either closing down or aren't suitable for big meets like this so we opted for Newcastle. It's a major city, so it's easy to get to for both UK citizens and international people. Also, a number of people live near Newcastle, so it's good to have a strong local crowd.

Date
I think midsummer is the best idea. Most people are off work/school and the nice weather opens other options for us. I did want a weekend when I was already off work, but we can't do that. The original weekend at our planned venue is booked, and earlier weekends are a little too close to Launch for my liking, so we've opted for the 14th and 15th of August for now.

Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Ourk
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom298 Posts
May 16 2010 00:08 GMT
#2
THIS Looks cool
monkh
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom568 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-16 00:15:45
May 16 2010 00:15 GMT
#3
Multiplay run a LAN every quarter the I-Series don't know if u know about them. They were pretty good and accommodate all gamers. I haven't been for several years now tho, don't know what its like now. was hoping to attend one this year but i doubt i can get money to go, its pretty expensive but if u can get money would say its worth it!
Daeden.620
durecell
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom85 Posts
May 16 2010 17:17 GMT
#4
I wouldn't be able to come however it sounds fun. Good Luck .
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44325 Posts
May 16 2010 17:20 GMT
#5
On May 16 2010 09:15 monkh wrote:
Multiplay run a LAN every quarter the I-Series don't know if u know about them. They were pretty good and accommodate all gamers. I haven't been for several years now tho, don't know what its like now. was hoping to attend one this year but i doubt i can get money to go, its pretty expensive but if u can get money would say its worth it!

Also if we have WCG for bw or sc2 this year it'll be at an i-lan.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
matthewfoulkes
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom246 Posts
May 16 2010 17:23 GMT
#6
yeah i posted a thread to see if any1 off here was going to i-lan. i know id be in for a meeting at either an i-lan or at an independently organised event.
Lies? I Dont Tell lies! Thats no lie!
Gridlock
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom517 Posts
May 16 2010 18:50 GMT
#7
What sort of costs are we talking lads? How much have old LANs cost you all?

We'd be there!
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-16 19:17:38
May 16 2010 19:17 GMT
#8
On May 17 2010 03:50 Gridlock wrote:
What sort of costs are we talking lads? How much have old LANs cost you all?

We'd be there!


Honestly, for cost I have no idea. For my last LANs it's been:

1: Cost was the travel, food and drink only, venue was a Uni lodging so that was free.
2. I hosted at my house, was free.
3. Is flight and entry fee is like £65.

I'd like to get some kind of free venue that is sleepable so that it's essentially free. If not, paying part of the rental fee for the venue is one possibility and in worse case, paying for accomodation could also be possible. Hopefully, it will just be your travel costs and food/drink.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Regrets
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom12 Posts
May 16 2010 22:47 GMT
#9
Definately up for something like this, sounds really appealing with fantastic potential! Keep up the good work. This doesn't matter but location and cost is irrelavent for me, lets make this happen!
Raneth
Profile Joined December 2009
England527 Posts
May 16 2010 23:27 GMT
#10
sounds epic dude, if i can get off work im there fo sho (i work monday to sunday over summer)
lans for me are usually cheap, but they only usually involve about 12 or so people
tom: "dont you mean TWO g keys???" kwark: "nah, i'll probably just press it twice"
exKid
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom118 Posts
May 18 2010 00:54 GMT
#11
Would it not really be best to have it AFTER the 27th of July?...
stolensheep
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom306 Posts
May 18 2010 17:35 GMT
#12
My 18th birthday is on the 8th of august so I wouldn't be going if it is on the 8th. Also I think somewhere in the midlands would be ideal for everyone, no one can really moan about things being too far away then!

30th july-1st august would be ideal, sc2 only being out a few days etc.
twitter.com/stolensheeps
Luxotica
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom18 Posts
May 20 2010 17:54 GMT
#13
INNNN FOR THE WIN!
Pork is the meat of kings.
Wohmfg
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom1292 Posts
May 21 2010 16:37 GMT
#14
Is this for SC2 or BW, or both?

Love to have some sort of LAN either way. :D
BW4Life!
matthewfoulkes
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom246 Posts
May 21 2010 18:41 GMT
#15
i think there should be pay for the person hosting because having like 10 people in your lodging for like 3 days will be pretty costly.
Lies? I Dont Tell lies! Thats no lie!
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
May 21 2010 18:49 GMT
#16
Are non-pommies welcome?
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
matthewfoulkes
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom246 Posts
May 21 2010 18:54 GMT
#17
as if a community as kind and as vast as that of the UK would deny anybody!!!
Lies? I Dont Tell lies! Thats no lie!
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
May 21 2010 20:21 GMT
#18
On May 22 2010 03:49 Pholon wrote:
Are non-pommies welcome?


"As you guys may know, I've been trying to set up some kind of LAN for TL members in the UK (and anyone else who wants to come)"

Of course! You think I'd miss a chance to hang out with my Continental friends?
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
Vilda
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Sweden111 Posts
May 21 2010 20:56 GMT
#19
Flicky: Are you really surprised Pholon didn't read the whole op before posting?

I'm totally game, anyway. I might have to come late or leave early if it doesnt match my schedule, but in August it's very slow, so I doubt I'll get many shifts then.

Yap if you need my help with anything Flicky, I'll help with whatever I can!
Vilda is all about StarCraft
MrCeeJ
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom57 Posts
May 28 2010 10:33 GMT
#20
I helped organise the national LAN tour a few years ago, we had about 20 PCs in a trailer and toured hotel conference facilities in Glasgow, Dublin, Cardiff, Birmingham and London, although the tour was privately funded with some minor sponsorship (we held pre-release tournaments for Codename: Outbreak sponsored by Virgin) it lost a lot of money, and some dates were cancelled.

One of the big things we took from this was that although 100s of people had said they would come on forums/mailing lists etc, without pre-sale tickets we didn't really have any idea of numbers and were totally swamped in some venues, and virtually desolate in others.

Still doing the tour was the best thing ever and I have always dreamed of getting another one going with the right funding model in place. In the mean time rocking up to awesome LAN events is always fun and I'd be happy to help in any way I can

CJ
Argue for your limitations and they shall be yours!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 491
Hyuk 309
910 205
Dewaltoss 68
Killer 48
NotJumperer 27
ZergMaN 27
Bale 23
Shinee 22
yabsab 19
[ Show more ]
Mind 16
Noble 11
Dota 2
XcaliburYe127
League of Legends
JimRising 473
Counter-Strike
olofmeister862
ceh9538
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1851
Khaldor409
Other Games
singsing950
Sick255
Mew2King152
XBOCT103
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick702
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream300
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH150
• LUISG 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2308
League of Legends
• Jankos967
• Stunt569
Other Games
• WagamamaTV38
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 33m
Stellar Fest
4h 33m
The PondCast
1d 1h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.