• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:02
CEST 23:02
KST 06:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12934 users

Bunker Freeze

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Ian Ian Ian
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
915 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-19 17:31:14
August 18 2009 16:48 GMT
#1
I'm sort of new on teamliquid, used to spend alot of time on another forum related to starcraft, but it was relatively small, and not filled with players with so much skill/knowledge etc.

There is a glitch there that we've been trying to figure out for the longest time, bunker freezing. I know mostly everyone here might not have ever seen it before because it doesn't happen in melee, but I'm hoping a couple people might know about it.

Basically just like how you can freeze a turret with a building/dropship/air unit, you can also freeze a bunker by moving anything directly overtop of it so it will quit shooting at you. This used to be common knowledge to me and most of the peole I play with, but we recently discovered that if you freeze the bunker with an air unit that attacks (eg valk/wraith/sair), then drop units by it, the bunker will still continue to not retarget.

Wondering if anone could maybe shed some light on this as to why it happens. I might try and record a video sometime too.

Replays: http://repdepot.net/download.php?type=rep&id=19083&name=IanIanIan vs Epsilon Squadron.rep

http://repdepot.net/download.php?type=rep&id=19084&name=IanIanIan vs Epsilon Squadron.rep

http://repdepot.net/download.php?type=rep&id=19085&name=1 players - T.rep

http://repdepot.net/replay.php?id=19090

Screenshots:

[image loading]


dual turret freeze with mutas
[image loading]


dual bunker freeze with mutas
[image loading]


[image loading]

lings unharmed
[image loading]
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
August 18 2009 16:54 GMT
#2
Weird.. i have never seen this.

Does the flying unit have to be positioned right on top before it finally builds? or does it work by just right clicking a shuttle over it even if it was already built?
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
Railz
Profile Joined July 2008
United States1449 Posts
August 18 2009 16:58 GMT
#3
I've seen this happen in larger melee games with turrets which led me to believe it was a sprite issue..
Did the whole world just get a lot smaller and go whooosh?_-` Number 0ne By.Fantasy Fanatic!
Ian Ian Ian
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
915 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-18 17:01:20
August 18 2009 17:00 GMT
#4
I figured alot of players might not have seen it, simply because of what I said before, you never use it in melee.

Use any flying unit (except sci vessel I think, actually I've never tried it but w/e) and just right click on the bunker. Once it gets on top the bunker should freeze. I usually hit hold pos anyways real quick to make sure if it's a valk or something it doesn't take off. But if you use a building, it'll still shoot at ground units. If you use a flying unit it won't :s

There's another weird situation where I have a ghost bunk to the left of a tank in siege mode, and I move my cc down over top them but above slightly, then send a dropship of 8 probes to drop on the siege tank. If I drop 7 of the probes and keep the last in the ship, the ghosts shoot the cc still, if I drop the 8th probe it retargets :s

And no, not a sprite issue. I should really get a video up. Or I can show you if anyone can get on USEast
pangshai
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Chinatown5333 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-18 17:11:26
August 18 2009 17:07 GMT
#5
can you provide a screen shot of this? i can't seem to replicate it with wraiths, buildings, dropships, valkyries, or science vessels. turret freezing only works with observers though.

EDIT: tried with observers as well, and it doesn't work.
#1 midas fan
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
August 18 2009 17:07 GMT
#6
so weird. never heard of it
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
ForTheSwarm
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States556 Posts
August 18 2009 17:08 GMT
#7
On August 19 2009 02:00 Ian Ian Ian wrote:
There's another weird situation where I have a ghost bunk to the left of a tank in siege mode, and I move my cc down over top them but above slightly, then send a dropship of 8 probes to drop on the siege tank. If I drop 7 of the probes and keep the last in the ship, the ghosts shoot the cc still, if I drop the 8th probe it retargets :s

Holy crap that is a really really wierd senario, ha ha. I don't know what ever led you to try that, lmao.

Cool post though; really interesting.
Whenever I see a dropship, my asshole tingles, because it knows whats coming... - TheAntZ
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
August 18 2009 17:08 GMT
#8
A VOD IS DEMANDED
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
August 18 2009 17:08 GMT
#9
If it never happens in melee then it's irrelevant imo.
Peace~
Phelix
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1931 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-18 17:10:11
August 18 2009 17:09 GMT
#10
Do these bugs might have to do with triggering, and using hyper triggers? I experience/use these bugs on UMS maps to gain an advantage, but I can't do it consistently. Sometimes when I use a Command Center, the bunker keeps targeting it even if i drop ground units to attack, when it should retarget.

Edit:Are you IanIanIan from USEast?
Venture Capital is better off spent on lottery tickets rather than investing in E-Sports; you'll get a far better return. The difference is simple: Koreans are tryharding at the game, foreigners are tryharding in real-life.
Ian Ian Ian
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
915 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-18 17:13:57
August 18 2009 17:11 GMT
#11
I'm really awful at making VOD's

I could see turret freezing happening in melee maybe, but having to freeze a bunk? Probably not. And a human playe can just unload anyways

I can show you all the situations right now if anyone can get on USEast. My account on there is IanIanIan

On August 19 2009 02:08 For_The_Swarm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 19 2009 02:00 Ian Ian Ian wrote:
There's another weird situation where I have a ghost bunk to the left of a tank in siege mode, and I move my cc down over top them but above slightly, then send a dropship of 8 probes to drop on the siege tank. If I drop 7 of the probes and keep the last in the ship, the ghosts shoot the cc still, if I drop the 8th probe it retargets :s

Holy crap that is a really really wierd senario, ha ha. I don't know what ever led you to try that, lmao.

Cool post though; really interesting.


And yeah, that made us think it had something to do with worker units. But we couldn't replicate it anywhere else, except where I let one drop die then the next had a worker in it and then it froze or something idk. It was weird

And I don't think they would be inovlved with hyper triggers. I know it's a UMS map that I did it on. But I froze a bunk in melee once too with a dropship, sort of by accident.
ZeroCartin
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2390 Posts
August 18 2009 17:16 GMT
#12
share reps at least. Ive never seen these bugs.
"My sister is on vacation in Costa Rica right now. I hope she stays a while because she's a miserable cunt." -pubbanana
Phelix
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1931 Posts
August 18 2009 17:16 GMT
#13
The bugs are pretty weird, but is it relative to Diplomacy-Infinity 2.8a, or does this occur in all UMS maps? Might want to test that out before coming to any other suggestions. I know the unload bug happens in 7.7, but I'm not sure about the rest.
Venture Capital is better off spent on lottery tickets rather than investing in E-Sports; you'll get a far better return. The difference is simple: Koreans are tryharding at the game, foreigners are tryharding in real-life.
Ian Ian Ian
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
915 Posts
August 18 2009 17:18 GMT
#14
Yeah they are all in Infinity. The REALY REALLY weird scenario's I probably couldn't replicate. I bet I could do the others though. Someone work with me cmonn
Phelix
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1931 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-18 20:33:38
August 18 2009 17:20 GMT
#15
Yeah, I'll work with you, I'm trying to figure this out too, and how to do it consistently
Venture Capital is better off spent on lottery tickets rather than investing in E-Sports; you'll get a far better return. The difference is simple: Koreans are tryharding at the game, foreigners are tryharding in real-life.
BanZu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3329 Posts
August 18 2009 17:21 GMT
#16
Kinda happens when something flies over a goliath, as the missile shoots and just keep flying in circles and it doesn't attack anymore.

And the most common occurrence in melee would probably be observer over a turret. Not so much in professional games or in iccup since they're both banned glitches that can get you DQed but I've done it before on bnet haha.

I'm guessing it occurs because it's kinda like a vulture planting mines. The vulture can't plant mines unless it moves a tiny distance, as in you can't plant a mine by clicking on the vulture. A turret isn't able to shoot directly upwards so it can't shoot anything directly above it. Maybe it's similar in some way with bunkers and ghosts.
Sun Tzu once said, "Defiler becomes useless at the presences of a vessel."
DreaM)XeRO
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Korea (South)4667 Posts
August 18 2009 17:30 GMT
#17
pics or it never happened
cw)minsean(ru
jiabung
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States720 Posts
August 18 2009 17:35 GMT
#18
On August 19 2009 02:21 BanZu wrote:
Kinda happens when something flies over a goliath, as the missile shoots and just keep flying in circles and it doesn't attack anymore.

And the most common occurrence in melee would probably be observer over a turret. Not so much in professional games or in iccup since they're both banned glitches that can get you DQed but I've done it before on bnet haha.

I'm guessing it occurs because it's kinda like a vulture planting mines. The vulture can't plant mines unless it moves a tiny distance, as in you can't plant a mine by clicking on the vulture. A turret isn't able to shoot directly upwards so it can't shoot anything directly above it. Maybe it's similar in some way with bunkers and ghosts.


obs over turret isn't banned iirc
fanatacist
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
10319 Posts
August 18 2009 17:38 GMT
#19
On August 19 2009 02:35 ilovelosses wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 19 2009 02:21 BanZu wrote:
Kinda happens when something flies over a goliath, as the missile shoots and just keep flying in circles and it doesn't attack anymore.

And the most common occurrence in melee would probably be observer over a turret. Not so much in professional games or in iccup since they're both banned glitches that can get you DQed but I've done it before on bnet haha.

I'm guessing it occurs because it's kinda like a vulture planting mines. The vulture can't plant mines unless it moves a tiny distance, as in you can't plant a mine by clicking on the vulture. A turret isn't able to shoot directly upwards so it can't shoot anything directly above it. Maybe it's similar in some way with bunkers and ghosts.


obs over turret isn't banned iirc

It's banned in pro games and in most tournaments.
Peace~
Shadowfury333
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada314 Posts
August 18 2009 17:45 GMT
#20
Really? I was under the impression that iCCup was one of the last places to allow obs over turret.
Darkness called...but I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O168
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18564
Calm 2044
Shuttle 328
White-Ra 223
Mini 178
ZZZero.O 168
firebathero 73
soO 12
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1548
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4511
Liquid`Hasu558
Other Games
summit1g8511
Liquid`RaSZi2194
FrodaN2117
fl0m1292
crisheroes281
IndyStarCraft 217
Pyrionflax210
Livibee190
ToD125
Mew2King49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick995
BasetradeTV249
StarCraft 2
angryscii 25
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 31
• musti20045 8
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1417
• Shiphtur665
• WagamamaTV350
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 59m
Replay Cast
1h 59m
OSC
14h 59m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.