• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:49
CEST 09:49
KST 16:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7845 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 69

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 140 Next
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
September 19 2011 23:40 GMT
#1361
On September 20 2011 08:00 jdseemoreglass wrote:
I'm praying that Ng5 just sacks a pawn so we don't have to continue this "drawn" discussion lol


You can pray all you want, but...+ Show Spoiler +
he won't, I am 90% sure he won't. Most people choose 9. Bxc6+, time to pay for it.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
September 20 2011 00:02 GMT
#1362
On September 20 2011 08:40 chesshaha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 08:00 jdseemoreglass wrote:
I'm praying that Ng5 just sacks a pawn so we don't have to continue this "drawn" discussion lol


You can pray all you want, but...+ Show Spoiler +
he won't, I am 90% sure he won't. Most people choose 9. Bxc6+, time to pay for it.

"I'm 90% sure he won't."

Ng5 has a tendency to troll us. I said he would probably play Bb7 earlier, and he quoted me and played exd4. MrProphylactic said he was sure that Ng5 wouldn't play Ne4, and Ng5 quoted that again and then played Ne4.

Perhaps we should taunt him

"He would NEVER play Rb8!"

On a side note, I think next game we should establish some rule that says "no complaining about moves we have already made." I'm assuming this is what you mean when you say "most people choose 9. Bxc6+, time to pay for it." It does literally nothing for us, and providing thorough analysis on why a move is good or bad BEFORE we make the move is certainly better than simply asserting that we've made poor moves already.

When the game is finally over, everyone who has ever made a vote that didn't win is free to tell everyone else "I told you so," if it makes you feel better
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 01:09:56
September 20 2011 00:10 GMT
#1363
On September 20 2011 09:02 jdseemoreglass wrote:
When the game is finally over, everyone who has ever made a vote that didn't win is free to tell everyone else "I told you so," if it makes you feel better
Which means the odds are good that we'll all be right! I like that.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
hype[NZ]
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Japan412 Posts
September 20 2011 00:22 GMT
#1364
On September 20 2011 09:02 jdseemoreglass wrote:
When the game is finally over, everyone who has ever made a vote that didn't win is free to tell everyone else "I told you so," if it makes you feel better
Woe is us we should have played 1.d4 therefore avoiding this whole mess!

I guess I should vote even though it will have little consequence, and I can't provide any analysis at the moment. Think of it as a "I'm still following this game and enjoying it" vote.

So... 10.Qa4

+ Show Spoiler +
I think we shouldn't trade queens if possible, even if it means not taking the pawn on c6. Hopefully I can get some time to analyse the position better for our next move.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-02 14:38:48
September 20 2011 01:12 GMT
#1365
Final Votes

10. Qa4: 31 (jdseemoreglass, BillMurray, hp.Shell, shackes, Raysalis, LaXerCannon, aphorism, Malli, Chezus, Mabilis, Malinor, TehForce, Ikari, Soluhwin, Mash2, Xaerkar, chesshaha, keyStorm, qrs, EnderSword, Archers_bane, itsjustatank, Misder, wuBu, Jumbled, mastergriggy, Blazinghand, EvilNalu, Cloud1957, timh, hype[NZ])
10. 0-0: 3 (keyStorm, wizard944, Bengui, imBLIND)
10. Qc2: 1 (RAGEMOAR The Pope)
[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
September 20 2011 04:00 GMT
#1366
Deadline's over.

You really didn't need to make a new account just to dick around.

I was wondering how long you would last.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 20 2011 04:14 GMT
#1367
On September 20 2011 13:00 Ng5 wrote:
Deadline's over.

You really didn't need to make a new account just to dick around.

I was wondering how long you would last.
Give him props for his choice of username, at least: rolling new accounts up that hill...
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 04:17:11
September 20 2011 04:15 GMT
#1368
Rb8 was there in every single variation ever since you played cxd4 guys...

It also is the key improvement to an old main line that I only realized after finding that it was the right one in many deviations and went to make it work all the others.

I don't know which lines you considered with all the drawing issues you have, we will see... But if it's so obvious to you, then why wasn't it before Bxc6? A few posts away this was a 'winning plan' for you.

The position is funny in many ways, though - without spoilering anything (I have the feeling white would read it). Personally I wouldn't call it boring no matter which sublines you choose.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 04:27:18
September 20 2011 04:26 GMT
#1369
On September 20 2011 13:15 Ng5 wrote:
Rb8 was there in every single variation ever since you played cxd4 guys...

It also is the key improvement to an old main line that I only realized after finding that it was the right one in many deviations and went to make it work all the others.

I don't know which lines you considered with all the drawing issues you have, we will see... But if it's so obvious to you, then why wasn't it before Bxc6? A few posts away this was a 'winning plan' for you.

The position is funny in many ways, though - without spoilering anything (I have the feeling white would read it). Personally I wouldn't call it boring no matter which sublines you choose.
Rb8 was what we expected you to play (well, I shouldn't speak for everyone--it was what I expected, at any rate, once you warned us that after Qa4 the game would get "dicey"), but it's not the line that the "draw" concerns were being raised about.

I think the main thing that changed was that we actually played Bxc6: once it was a fait accompli there was obviously more discussion of its details. While it wasn't yet even certain that we would play it, people may have done analysis on it, but there were comparatively fewer posts on the subject.

People may have talked about "winning chances" and advantages things like that, but I don't think anyone has gone so far as to declare something a "winning plan" yet. That still seems a bit presumptuous at this point, I think. (I did post something about "mate in 262", but that was from an unrelated endgame study.)
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
September 20 2011 04:46 GMT
#1370
I will make the move now because it doesn't really matter if I make it now or tomorrow and I don't want to be counting vote on Friday night.

I think we can safely assume that...

10. Qa4 Rb8


There's main branches for both colours in the coming few moves... Which means there can be main differences in the positions depending on both sides.

Rb8 was such a subtle move in most of the other lines. Oh well.

Round 11 starts right here.

I will update the OP soon (an hour or so), but if you guys are still/already up and want to start the convo, go ahead.

I have a feeling you're freaked about Qxc6 though... You might have heard about him...
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
September 20 2011 05:40 GMT
#1371
Everything is updated. I will also send out the reminders in some time.
Raysalis
Profile Joined July 2010
Malaysia1034 Posts
September 20 2011 10:44 GMT
#1372
11. Qxc6 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+ Show Spoiler +


going to the interesting ending where black is a pawn down but have the 2 bishops. I believe in white (i think)

:)
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 10:51:57
September 20 2011 10:46 GMT
#1373
Don't prepare the shovel yet. Sending out reminders.

In other words: you've already thought, planned and discussed more about chess than most of you probably thought was even possible. I would call that alone an awesome and incredible feat. And it's not over till the fat lady sings.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 20 2011 10:47 GMT
#1374
11. Qxc6+
+ Show Spoiler +
I like pawns.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 20 2011 10:50 GMT
#1375
my vote is 11. Qxc6
this move is obvious
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
September 20 2011 10:57 GMT
#1376
Only one thing is obvious and that's I'm going to hell in every religion.

Really guys. Be a little more positive.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
September 20 2011 11:00 GMT
#1377
On September 20 2011 13:46 Ng5 wrote:
I have a feeling you're freaked about Qxc6 though... You might have heard about him...

On September 20 2011 19:46 Ng5 wrote:
Don't prepare the shovel yet. ...

In other words: you've already thought, planned and discussed more about chess than most of you probably thought was even possible. I would call that alone an awesome and incredible feat. And it's not over till the fat lady sings.

On September 20 2011 19:57 Ng5 wrote:
Only one thing is obvious and that's I'm going to hell in every religion. ...

Really guys. Be a little more positive.
This guy is sounding very confident for someone who's about to go down a pawn...
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
September 20 2011 11:16 GMT
#1378
Vote: 11. Qxc6+ + Show Spoiler +
But it forces a queen trade ...Qb7 if we don't want to retreat to 12. Qc2 then we must Qxb7. This doesn't prevent black from castling (11. Qxc6+ Qb7 12. Qxb7 Bxb7) and black's positional advantage is immense.

11. Qxa7 is a bad idea + Show Spoiler +
because it loses the b2 pawn after the mass piece trade at d2, and it also pins the rook on a1 or forces the a2 pawn to move or be lost. Really we come out ahead in material with 11. Qxc6+ but it is a bad move overall. I suggest castling queenside (O-O-O) in the very near future.
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
shackes
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany148 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 11:24:45
September 20 2011 11:24 GMT
#1379
11. Qxc6+

+ Show Spoiler +
I don't have a big problem with 12. Qc2. We trade in the initiative for a pawn, and since I'm a materialistic guy that's ok with me. (At my level this often wins the game, but of course I don't play people of the caliber of Ng5 very often if at all...)
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-20 11:25:44
September 20 2011 11:24 GMT
#1380
On September 20 2011 20:16 hp.Shell wrote:Vote: 11. Qxc6+
+ Show Spoiler +
But it forces a queen trade ...Qb7 if we don't want to retreat to 12. Qc2 then we must Qxb7. This doesn't prevent black from castling (11. Qxc6+ Qb7 12. Qxb7 Bxb7) and black's positional advantage is immense.
Why is it so definite that we don't want to + Show Spoiler +
retreat with 12. Qc2? Yes, Black can prevent us with castling Kingside with 12...Bh3, but he can do the same with ...Bb5 after we trade Queens.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 425
Leta 276
Dewaltoss 108
sSak 61
Killer 37
Bale 30
Aegong 29
NotJumperer 29
ZergMaN 28
Noble 13
[ Show more ]
yabsab 11
League of Legends
JimRising 547
Reynor41
Other Games
summit1g9511
olofmeister545
Sick201
Happy196
KnowMe3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick773
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1258
• Stunt559
• Jankos545
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 11m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 11m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 11m
Replay Cast
15h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.