• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:42
CEST 16:42
KST 23:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9511 users

Is i5 2400 enough for Sc2?

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Heinstar
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia61 Posts
September 21 2011 03:53 GMT
#1
I'm currently building a Gaming Rig optimized just for Sc2. My budget is around $1000. It can go little higher if it's cost effective in the long run.

Option 1 – Can be overclocked and upgraded to next-gen CPU(ivy):
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $218
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ $32
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $138
RAM: G.Skill-NT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 $44
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $54
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB $255
Case: Antec 300 $58
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W $69

Total: $866

Option 2 – Can't be overclocked or upgraded to next-gen CPU(ivy):
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 $185
Mobo: ASRock H61 U3S3 $77
RAM: G.Skill-NT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 $44
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $54
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB $255
Case: Antec 300 $58
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W $69

Total: $742

So if I go with the i5 2500K setup, I'll need to pay at least extra $124. I want to make sure I don't get below 60 fps when playing Sc2 because I'm a very competitive player. So is 2400 powerful enough to keep doing 60 fps when playing Sc2 in intensive settings? e.g. ultra setting, 4 vs 4 and 200/200 supply.
carloselcoco
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2302 Posts
September 21 2011 03:58 GMT
#2
Both of them are more than enough for SC2. I recommend going w/ the first build if you can
http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/296431601 <------Suscribe! Casts in Spanish :) |||| http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/300285215<----- CSL: Before Sunday! Episode 3!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 21 2011 03:59 GMT
#3
Ivybridge is on LGA1155 and is expected to work on every board with a simple BIOS update...

There is currently no processor capable of achieving a constant sixty frames per second on ultra settings throughout the game fyi...
Horst
Profile Joined November 2010
338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 04:07:43
September 21 2011 04:06 GMT
#4
You wanna save a couple of bucks, I highly recommend this case/psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156098

Just built a computer with it, really easy to put together, and entirely tool-less.

The fold out motherboard tray made it a snap to put the mobo in.

The PSU wires aren't braided, but the case is very nice.

also, in your post... very competitive, 4v4, and 200/200 aren't words one normally utters at the same time when talking about sc2

Either of those setups should be fine for ANY 1v1 situation, even 200/200 battles.
carloselcoco
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2302 Posts
September 21 2011 04:10 GMT
#5
On September 21 2011 13:06 Horst wrote:
You wanna save a couple of bucks, I highly recommend this case/psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156098

Just built a computer with it, really easy to put together, and entirely tool-less.

The fold out motherboard tray made it a snap to put the mobo in.

The PSU wires aren't braided, but the case is very nice.

also, in your post... very competitive, 4v4, and 200/200 aren't words one normally utters at the same time when talking about sc2

Either of those setups should be fine for ANY 1v1 situation, even 200/200 battles.


He is in Australia, not the US mate. He can't use newegg :/
http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/296431601 <------Suscribe! Casts in Spanish :) |||| http://www.twitch.tv/carloselcoco/b/300285215<----- CSL: Before Sunday! Episode 3!
Horst
Profile Joined November 2010
338 Posts
September 21 2011 04:26 GMT
#6
On September 21 2011 13:10 carloselcoco wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 21 2011 13:06 Horst wrote:
You wanna save a couple of bucks, I highly recommend this case/psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156098

Just built a computer with it, really easy to put together, and entirely tool-less.

The fold out motherboard tray made it a snap to put the mobo in.

The PSU wires aren't braided, but the case is very nice.

also, in your post... very competitive, 4v4, and 200/200 aren't words one normally utters at the same time when talking about sc2

Either of those setups should be fine for ANY 1v1 situation, even 200/200 battles.


He is in Australia, not the US mate. He can't use newegg :/


I wouldn't want to live in a world without newegg.
Heinstar
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia61 Posts
September 21 2011 04:50 GMT
#7
On September 21 2011 12:59 skyR wrote:
Ivybridge is on LGA1155 and is expected to work on every board with a simple BIOS update...

There is currently no processor capable of achieving a constant sixty frames per second on ultra settings throughout the game fyi...


Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need a Z68 board to support ivy bridge cpu's. At least that's what I keep hearing. We dont know for sure if they will work with H61/67/p68 boards.
Heinstar
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia61 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 05:16:37
September 21 2011 05:02 GMT
#8
On September 21 2011 13:06 Horst wrote:
also, in your post... very competitive, 4v4, and 200/200 aren't words one normally utters at the same time when talking about sc2

Either of those setups should be fine for ANY 1v1 situation, even 200/200 battles.


haha you're right. I can't call myself a competitive player if I play 4v4. But then again, having more fps during 4v4 match wouldn't hurt either.


On September 21 2011 12:59 skyR wrote:
Ivybridge is on LGA1155 and is expected to work on every board with a simple BIOS update...

There is currently no processor capable of achieving a constant sixty frames per second on ultra settings throughout the game fyi...


So how much better is overclocked 2500K compared to 2400? Do you think it's worth the extra $124? This benchmark review says 2400 actually performs better than 2500K in 1920x1080 resolution: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/21/
Melancholia
Profile Joined March 2010
United States717 Posts
September 21 2011 05:17 GMT
#9
If your only concern is StarCraft than no, it isn't worth it.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
September 21 2011 05:18 GMT
#10
How much better is subjective. Here's an article for you to decide: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_9.html#sect2 Think of the core i5 2400 as slightly worse than the core i5 2500k at 3.3GHz and than compare it to the overclocked values of 4.3GHz (which is easily achievable) and 4.7GHz (which might take some effort).

But I can tell you now that even an overclocked core i5 2500k won't be capable of achieving a constant sixty frames per second in 4v4 ultra, and not even on high either (I would know since I have one and play team games regularly).

Ivybridge is on LGA1155. Every H61, H67, P67 and Z68 board is LGA1155. Intel has confirmed that it'll solely depend on the BIOS of the board. Gigabyte has confirmed all their boards are Ivybridge ready. There's some garbage rumor going around that UEFI boards won't be capable of supporting Ivybridge, whether you want to believe this crap or not is up to you.
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 05:29:13
September 21 2011 05:28 GMT
#11
Go for the 2500k. It's the most clock speed hungry game >_>
Die tomorrow - Live today
fuzzy_panda
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand1681 Posts
September 21 2011 05:40 GMT
#12
Yeah i have pretty much what you have, except instead of 8gb ram i have 4gb, and instead of the GTX560 i have GTX 280. I can run sc2 on Ultra and keep a consistent 60fps, only slowing down in 4v4 late game where there are 200/200 armies.
Heinstar
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia61 Posts
September 21 2011 06:28 GMT
#13
On September 21 2011 14:18 skyR wrote:
But I can tell you now that even an overclocked core i5 2500k won't be capable of achieving a constant sixty frames per second in 4v4 ultra, and not even on high either (I would know since I have one and play team games regularly).

Ivybridge is on LGA1155. Every H61, H67, P67 and Z68 board is LGA1155. Intel has confirmed that it'll solely depend on the BIOS of the board. Gigabyte has confirmed all their boards are Ivybridge ready. There's some garbage rumor going around that UEFI boards won't be capable of supporting Ivybridge, whether you want to believe this crap or not is up to you.


Thanks, I'm only going to play competitive on 1v1 anyway so I might as well save myself $124. And if H61 will be able to support ivy then I'm not losing any upgradability.
Kamma
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark111 Posts
September 21 2011 06:33 GMT
#14
I've got a smaller version of the i5 and I can run SC2 on Ultra and 1440x900 without any problems pretty much
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Heinstar
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia61 Posts
September 21 2011 11:17 GMT
#15
Thanks guys. This is my final decision. I might even order it today if I have time.

Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 $185 – PCCG
Mobo: ASRock H61 U3S3 $77 – PCCG
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3(1600?) $65 – PCCG
HDD: Seagate 250GB 7200rpm Baracuda 7200.10
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 1GB $255 – PCCG
Case: Antec 300 $58 – PCCG
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W $69 – PCCG

Total: $720 + $74 shipping = $794

It's a bit too under budget but:
- this Gaming Rig is going to be sufficient for competitive Sc2 gaming.
- my next upgrade will likely be GPU first then CPU. So I won't need to replace the Case, RAM, mobo or PSU for a while.
- I'll be able to upgrade to ivy bridge when 2400 becomes obsolete.
- It's only going to be played in 1920x1080 resolution on a single monitor.

So there's no reason for me to pay extra $124 to go for the 2500K setup since it would probably only last maximum of 1 year longer. But by then I could buy myself a cheaper and more powerful CPU for less money.

1. If I could, I would reuse my old Auriga case but it only has 1 x 90mm rear fan and 1 x optional fan on side panel and 1 x optional 90mm fan at the front fan but no option for top fans. If I was to buy a 90mm front fan for this case, I'd need to pay extra $10 - $20 so I might as well get Antec 300 since it's better looking and has better cooler.

2. I just realized I already have Seagate 250GB 7200rpm Baracuda 7200.10 so I can save myself $54 on HDD.
Horst
Profile Joined November 2010
338 Posts
September 21 2011 14:28 GMT
#16
is 250 GB enough space for a computer for you?

I've got 4.5 TB worth of space for movies and junk (little over half full)..

with storage as cheap as it is, make sure you don't need more.
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
September 21 2011 14:38 GMT
#17
On September 21 2011 23:28 Horst wrote:
is 250 GB enough space for a computer for you?

I've got 4.5 TB worth of space for movies and junk (little over half full)..

with storage as cheap as it is, make sure you don't need more.

Well its easy to just throw more HDD's in when 250 is starting to go full.
Achiraaz
Profile Joined March 2007
Denmark25 Posts
September 21 2011 14:52 GMT
#18
Regarding the question. Yes i5 2400 is more than enough. I dont think you would feel any difference running this one compared to say an i3.

The most important piece of hardware for running SC2 is probably the graphics card and that looks like its well covered as well in both specs
Fyodor
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada971 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 14:59:17
September 21 2011 14:56 GMT
#19
In my history of building computers I've never felt the need to upgrade CPUs. Especially true in this case since Ivy Bridge will only be marginally faster than Sandy Bridge.

I go for CPUs that have massive overclocking overhead. That tides me over for at least two-three generations of CPUs. I went from core 2 duo E2160 @ 3ghz to i5-750 @ 4ghz. The transition wasn't that smooth because it was actually like 5 generations skipped in truth but only one game made me really suffer and that was supreme commander which still lags for me anyways lol.

But yeah, the likelihood of your motherboard still being able to house your next CPU is pretty low. That said the CPU and mobo you chose are very good in the first place.

You might wanna see if you can grab an AMD HD6950 for cheaper than that. Not familiar with Australian pricing though. They perform roughly the same afaik. (not great timing though, that generation of GPUs is about to end. Two years ago you could have had this level of performance with the HD5850. I might suggest to keep an old gpu or buy a really cheap one to tide you over until the new stuff comes out.)
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Bambipwnsu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada698 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-21 15:11:23
September 21 2011 15:06 GMT
#20
definitely strong enough.

Funny thing that happened this morning. I left prime95 running overnight and forgot to turn it off when I logged on this morning. I was sorta stumped why my fps would drop to 40s during max 200/200 2v2 battles. Then I'm like OHHHHHH. -_-

edit : its a 2500k
LoL @ NA: bambipwnsu
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 988
ComeBackTV 874
SteadfastSC680
TaKeTV 448
IndyStarCraft 144
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 680
IndyStarCraft 144
ProTech144
Rex 120
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50495
Bisu 1830
Horang2 1265
EffOrt 1117
Soma 619
Hyuk 591
Mini 540
BeSt 538
Light 426
Larva 418
[ Show more ]
Rush 267
ZerO 215
910 89
Mong 83
Leta 72
firebathero 69
Pusan 54
Snow 54
Sexy 45
Mind 38
ToSsGirL 36
JYJ 31
Aegong 30
Bale 21
Shine 18
Rock 16
Terrorterran 15
Noble 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7511
qojqva1050
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1105
Lowko461
Other Games
singsing1999
olofmeister1496
hiko1196
Beastyqt664
B2W.Neo404
Livibee202
Hui .184
Liquid`VortiX145
XaKoH 125
ArmadaUGS107
KnowMe102
djWHEAT83
Mew2King79
QueenE65
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 19
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3064
Other Games
• Shiphtur179
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 18m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 18m
Online Event
20h 18m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.