• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7994 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 334

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 332 333 334 335 336 383 Next
rkshox
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan536 Posts
December 24 2013 09:44 GMT
#6661
On December 24 2013 18:07 v0rtex wrote:
I am a noob to mechanical keyboards and looking for my first buy. This is the board I was looking at getting: http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfiretk/
How is this board and is it worth the cash?

Also I need to have a quiet typing experience due to people often in the vicinity when I type, I am unsure if i should go for Red's or Brown's? I do a lot of programming and a fairamount of gaming, would the brown's be too loud? I like the tactile feedback of blue's but they are way too loud so I thought the brown might be a compromise?
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!


Close vicinity as in, dorm room?

If you do a lot of programming I would not suggest Red keys.

My cousin has the Quickfire TK with brown keys and due to the build quality, the brown keys are actually not as loud as most brown keys that I've tried. I myself have a Ducky DK9087 and my board lined up right next to his board, mine is much much more louder than his.
@ranleee /// "first we expand, then we defense it'
v0rtex
Profile Joined November 2011
123 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-24 10:10:07
December 24 2013 10:09 GMT
#6662
But in general, are brown keys too loud? I am ok going for red's but I would rather get brown's. I've heard such mixed things, some say they are really quiet, others say they are loud... I'm not sure
JD, Snute, TLO, Soulkey, $o$, HerO, Suppy, Hendralisk, MKP, Maru
rkshox
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan536 Posts
December 24 2013 10:34 GMT
#6663
On December 24 2013 19:09 v0rtex wrote:
But in general, are brown keys too loud? I am ok going for red's but I would rather get brown's. I've heard such mixed things, some say they are really quiet, others say they are loud... I'm not sure


Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? There has to be a store somewhere selling gaming gear where they let you test the keyboards?

Personally, if I was a programmer that does countless hours of coding, I wouldn't go with red switches. However, what is your primary concern? Your board being too loud or programming? Time to break out the staples memo pad for pros and cons of each switch haha.
@ranleee /// "first we expand, then we defense it'
v0rtex
Profile Joined November 2011
123 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-24 10:54:09
December 24 2013 10:53 GMT
#6664
Located in a main center in South Africa and sadly no PC shops close nearby have mechanical keyboards/switches to test (the one that did closed down last month ), I will be ordering my keyboard online so I am mainly going off reviews/opinions...

I have tried blues and loved the feeling but as I said my main concern is that they are too loud. I live in a dorm room and I will get complaints programming late at night if the switches are too loud. I suppose the root of my question is, are MX brown's too loud for my purpose and if so are red's ok to type on or are they only meant for gaming? Sorry for the long winded question, I just don't want to get a Mechanical keyboard and regret it afterwards.
JD, Snute, TLO, Soulkey, $o$, HerO, Suppy, Hendralisk, MKP, Maru
blackone
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany1314 Posts
December 24 2013 12:44 GMT
#6665
I don't think anyone would describe Browns as "really quiet". If you know how blues sound, there's pretty much only one difference and that's the distinct "click" noise the blues make at the activation point. Browns don't have that, but everything else is just as loud. If you share a room with someone, they would probably be too loud I think.
Senshin
Profile Joined June 2004
Netherlands115 Posts
December 24 2013 13:14 GMT
#6666
I Bought a cm storm tournament edition with Red cherry's, all I can say wow, I think I should have done this way before.

Coming from a Razer Blackwidow with blue Cherry (have it now 6 months, but i was learning about cherry's the last month so i tried some).

For me, Red Cherry for the win, tried them all last month.
Can't say I dislike blue, they are great but the red are alot better for me.
ThatGuy
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada695 Posts
December 24 2013 15:22 GMT
#6667
I had the luxury of having a friend who's a mech keyboard aficionado, and got to try out all of the various switch types before deciding which one was right for me. Ultimately, I enjoyed Black the most, and ended up getting a Quickfire Rapid with 'em. Feels great and super happy with the purchase . I think they are pretty quiet as well if you don't get into the habit of bottoming out every time, but none of the switch types I tried were quieter than rubber dome.
WadeSC2
Profile Joined December 2013
Finland6 Posts
December 24 2013 21:46 GMT
#6668
Anyone with Poker or some other keyboard with 60% layout? I'd really love to have one, but I'm used to the "nordic" ISO layout, and don't know how much i would have to remap keys to make it work.
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
December 24 2013 22:27 GMT
#6669
On December 24 2013 15:30 rkshox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2013 18:35 wptlzkwjd wrote:
On December 20 2013 14:35 smOOthMayDie wrote:
I want to get the Ducky 9008 G2, but im stuck deciding between the Red and the Brown switches. Recommendations?



Red is noticeable quieter if you type lightly. Browns are just as loud as Blues but without the click. I've used both and I prefer the red ones over the browns because there's no tactile feedback making it more enjoyable to type. The downside to this is that it's very easy to mis-type especially during fast games like Starcraft. For me personally, I had a much more accurate typing experience on the browns.


I wouldn't really suggest Red switches for SC2, but that's just my opinion. I have a Ducky DK9087 with brown switches and a Razor Blackwidow Stealth with blue. I prefer the Ducky for Dota2 and Blackwidow for SC2, just my preference, but maybe it can help with your decision.


Yeah I totally agree, I've mis-typed countless number of times while playing SC2. Browns are definitely better for fast games.

Are you sure your Blackwidow STEALTH came with blue switches? I thought they were all browns.
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
December 24 2013 22:28 GMT
#6670
On December 25 2013 06:46 WadeSC2 wrote:
Anyone with Poker or some other keyboard with 60% layout? I'd really love to have one, but I'm used to the "nordic" ISO layout, and don't know how much i would have to remap keys to make it work.


I actually use the Nordic keyboard layout too. Which one did you get? I have the Zowie Celeritas and Corsair K70.
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
WadeSC2
Profile Joined December 2013
Finland6 Posts
December 24 2013 23:26 GMT
#6671
I'm using the Das Ultimate with mx blues. I really need to use ä and ö because I'm from Finland, and was just wondering how it would work out on a ANSI layout.
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
December 24 2013 23:55 GMT
#6672
On December 25 2013 08:26 WadeSC2 wrote:
I'm using the Das Ultimate with mx blues. I really need to use ä and ö because I'm from Finland, and was just wondering how it would work out on a ANSI layout.


It is pretty much the same except for 2 keys. The <> key between L-shift and Z becomes \ and |. The * and ' key between æ and enter becomes \ and | as well.

Everything else follows the layout you can find online.
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
December 24 2013 23:55 GMT
#6673
On December 25 2013 08:26 WadeSC2 wrote:
I'm using the Das Ultimate with mx blues. I really need to use ä and ö because I'm from Finland, and was just wondering how it would work out on a ANSI layout.


There's a "US International" keyboard layout. It uses dead keys to get you ä and ö. "Dead" means the behavior you know from the ` ' ^ keys on your current layout... the " key gets hidden until you press a second key and then you get something like äöüïÿ.

There's also key combinations using the right Alt key, AltGr-P gets you ö, AltGr-Q = ä. You have to check out a picture of the US International layout to see if it can do everything you need, but it's probably alright. «¿¡ñøßðåþ怣¥!?»

That's how it works with US keyboard. It's overall pretty annoying. It might be neat for writing C++ code or something because things like { } [ ] are in a better place on US compared to European layouts.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
WadeSC2
Profile Joined December 2013
Finland6 Posts
December 25 2013 12:11 GMT
#6674
Cool, thanks Doesn't sound too hard to get used to, definitely worth it for all the custom keycaps and other mods :D
rkshox
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan536 Posts
December 26 2013 03:29 GMT
#6675
On December 25 2013 07:27 wptlzkwjd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 24 2013 15:30 rkshox wrote:
On December 20 2013 18:35 wptlzkwjd wrote:
On December 20 2013 14:35 smOOthMayDie wrote:
I want to get the Ducky 9008 G2, but im stuck deciding between the Red and the Brown switches. Recommendations?



Red is noticeable quieter if you type lightly. Browns are just as loud as Blues but without the click. I've used both and I prefer the red ones over the browns because there's no tactile feedback making it more enjoyable to type. The downside to this is that it's very easy to mis-type especially during fast games like Starcraft. For me personally, I had a much more accurate typing experience on the browns.


I wouldn't really suggest Red switches for SC2, but that's just my opinion. I have a Ducky DK9087 with brown switches and a Razor Blackwidow Stealth with blue. I prefer the Ducky for Dota2 and Blackwidow for SC2, just my preference, but maybe it can help with your decision.


Yeah I totally agree, I've mis-typed countless number of times while playing SC2. Browns are definitely better for fast games.

Are you sure your Blackwidow STEALTH came with blue switches? I thought they were all browns.


Did I say stealth? I think I meant to say ultimate XD

@ranleee /// "first we expand, then we defense it'
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
December 26 2013 12:25 GMT
#6676
ok so i got mad playing league of legends and punched my cm storm quickfire rapid a good amount, and now whenever I type my scroll lock comes on and it types random keys a lot. Any way to fix this or is it basically busted?
kinsky
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany368 Posts
December 26 2013 19:40 GMT
#6677
On December 26 2013 21:25 IMoperator wrote:
ok so i got mad playing league of legends and punched my cm storm quickfire rapid a good amount, and now whenever I type my scroll lock comes on and it types random keys a lot. Any way to fix this or is it basically busted?



I´d start with some proper anger management followed by buying a new keyboard.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-26 20:27:48
December 26 2013 19:46 GMT
#6678
On December 27 2013 04:40 kinsky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2013 21:25 IMoperator wrote:
ok so i got mad playing league of legends and punched my cm storm quickfire rapid a good amount, and now whenever I type my scroll lock comes on and it types random keys a lot. Any way to fix this or is it basically busted?



I´d start with some proper anger management followed by buying a new keyboard.


Ya, if you really wanna get at all decent at a competitive game it's probably better to spend 50 hours doing anger management stuff and 20 hours playing rather than 70 hours playing while breaking expensive things - and if you're not at all competitive, why are you mad? It's a better solution IMO
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
DERPDERP
Profile Joined October 2010
Kyrgyzstan189 Posts
December 26 2013 22:04 GMT
#6679
On December 25 2013 07:28 wptlzkwjd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2013 06:46 WadeSC2 wrote:
Anyone with Poker or some other keyboard with 60% layout? I'd really love to have one, but I'm used to the "nordic" ISO layout, and don't know how much i would have to remap keys to make it work.


I actually use the Nordic keyboard layout too. Which one did you get? I have the Zowie Celeritas and Corsair K70.


Ducky sells nordic layout 60%. They go by the name ducky mini and are sold pretty exclusively by a few shops in sweden and sweden for now. KBT sells some too I think but the layout is a bit funky.
8)
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
December 27 2013 13:18 GMT
#6680
ok i bought a new leopold tenkeyless with brown switches, my old one had the blues but they were really loud and since I stay up pretty late I thought i'd make it at least a little quieter this time. How are the leopold keyboards btw?
Prev 1 332 333 334 335 336 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 601
Railgan 59
MindelVK 28
Codebar 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68375
Calm 10808
Rain 2418
Bisu 2226
FanTaSy 800
Stork 671
Rush 506
soO 481
Soma 247
Snow 218
[ Show more ]
firebathero 213
Last 177
Light 109
Mind 95
hero 88
Pusan 86
Sharp 56
Free 42
ToSsGirL 41
Trap 39
Bale 36
Mong 31
Hm[arnc] 29
Aegong 22
zelot 19
Sexy 16
HiyA 15
yabsab 15
Noble 14
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Rock 5
Terrorterran 5
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc8962
Dendi825
Counter-Strike
fl0m2871
byalli1101
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King94
Other Games
gofns36704
singsing2300
B2W.Neo635
Liquid`RaSZi338
Pyrionflax246
Beastyqt135
Hui .113
Trikslyr45
Chillindude18
Happy8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 104
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP39
• Response 10
• Dystopia_ 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV452
League of Legends
• Jankos3116
• Nemesis2920
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1238
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 54m
OSC
9h 54m
Replay Cast
9h 54m
OSC
22h 54m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.