• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:05
CEST 12:05
KST 19:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8290 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 111

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 109 110 111 112 113 383 Next
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-26 01:50:41
March 26 2012 01:48 GMT
#2201
On March 26 2012 10:31 xaoteca wrote:
Hello tl.net.
I want to buy my first mech KB and I need some help. I want blues or browns, as I play only SC. The problem is that I live in Czech Republic, and mechanicals are hard to get here. Basically I have option to get Blackwidow/BW Ultimate (Only Cherry Blues) for $95 and $135 respectively from a local store, or order any Das or Filco Majestouch Pro from http://getdigital.de for $175 and $205 with shipping respectively.

So I wanted to ask:
What switches would you recommend to first time user who types and plays only SC?

Are Das and Filcos worth the money, in comparison to BW? Yes, I heard that BW doesn't have the best build quality, but quite a few people like it. And is Filco worth the additional $30 over Das?

Also, if anyone from CZE or central Europe has some info on other retailers that I should look into, please let me know.
Thanks.

Razer BW/BWU are decent mechanical keyboards, but honestly aren't worth the money you pay for them in the long run. Their mouse department is a lot better. The prices you listed are also higher than the ones here in the US, probably because of the shipping costs to Czech. You can find other keyboards for around the same price, if not lower, and better quality. As for which keyboard, that is a WHOLE different conversation.

The main two switches people use are blue and brown switches. Both have their pros and cons. Blue switches have a tactile feel with a clicky sound when you press them. Browns only have the tactile feel. You can listen to some videos comparing the sounds of switches on Youtube if you want. You'll notice blues are louder (not ideal if you live with other people that would be annoyed by it), while browns have a "bump" sound that are quieter. Anyways those are just not the only switches. You can read this post for further information on these switches and others.
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

As for your last question, Das and Filco keyboards are both solid mechanical keyboards compared to BW. BW is decent, but is not as well made as Das and Filco. Though which one is better between Das and Filco, I can't say because I haven't had either of them, but the amount of good reviews they both receive I'm sure you'd be happy with either. If you really want to ask this question, you can probably wait for others here in Team Liquid to tell you, or go over to the GeekHack forums; they're mechanical keyboard experts. I learned a lot from that site, and still am.
m1rk3
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada412 Posts
March 26 2012 02:09 GMT
#2202
On March 26 2012 10:48 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2012 10:31 xaoteca wrote:
Hello tl.net.
I want to buy my first mech KB and I need some help. I want blues or browns, as I play only SC. The problem is that I live in Czech Republic, and mechanicals are hard to get here. Basically I have option to get Blackwidow/BW Ultimate (Only Cherry Blues) for $95 and $135 respectively from a local store, or order any Das or Filco Majestouch Pro from http://getdigital.de for $175 and $205 with shipping respectively.

So I wanted to ask:
What switches would you recommend to first time user who types and plays only SC?

Are Das and Filcos worth the money, in comparison to BW? Yes, I heard that BW doesn't have the best build quality, but quite a few people like it. And is Filco worth the additional $30 over Das?

Also, if anyone from CZE or central Europe has some info on other retailers that I should look into, please let me know.
Thanks.

Razer BW/BWU are decent mechanical keyboards, but honestly aren't worth the money you pay for them in the long run. Their mouse department is a lot better. The prices you listed are also higher than the ones here in the US, probably because of the shipping costs to Czech. You can find other keyboards for around the same price, if not lower, and better quality. As for which keyboard, that is a WHOLE different conversation.

The main two switches people use are blue and brown switches. Both have their pros and cons. Blue switches have a tactile feel with a clicky sound when you press them. Browns only have the tactile feel. You can listen to some videos comparing the sounds of switches on Youtube if you want. You'll notice blues are louder (not ideal if you live with other people that would be annoyed by it), while browns have a "bump" sound that are quieter. Anyways those are just not the only switches. You can read this post for further information on these switches and others.
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide#post_6009482

As for your last question, Das and Filco keyboards are both solid mechanical keyboards compared to BW. BW is decent, but is not as well made as Das and Filco. Though which one is better between Das and Filco, I can't say because I haven't had either of them, but the amount of good reviews they both receive I'm sure you'd be happy with either. If you really want to ask this question, you can probably wait for others here in Team Liquid to tell you, or go over to the GeekHack forums; they're mechanical keyboard experts. I learned a lot from that site, and still am.



The das has a glossy body like the BW's and if you hate having to clean the finish due to oil from your hands go with the filco. If you want something for the long term and good resale value go for the other two (das or filco). i bought the blackwidow as my first mechanical because i wanted to experience the difference for myself.

Anyways, the blues are (as stated above) louder than browns. Sometimes I find myself typing as slow as possible as to lower the amount of noise i make because there are people sleeping at 1 AM. The blackwidow build quality is decent but guaranteed you will notice better build quality from a brand such as filco or das.
For the Dominion!
xaoteca
Profile Joined August 2011
Czech Republic34 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-26 02:11:31
March 26 2012 02:09 GMT
#2203
Thanks for the quick response Sovano! I have read the Manyak's guide already and my preference tilts in favour of browns, but I'm still wondering what others think.
Also I wanted to ask if the glossy finish of the Das is a huge downside?
EDIT: Answered already, thx m1rk3.
A voice in your head giggles... "Nahfriendthiswayyouwontfindmeyoullhavetobemorepatient!" "Meetsomecompanionsofmineinthemeantime!" Suddenly several figures appear out of nowhere!
Odds
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada1188 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 09:13:48
March 27 2012 06:39 GMT
#2204
deleted, i'm retarded
Odds.633, AM. Plat level currently. Would love more practice partners, add me, let's play!
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
March 27 2012 10:09 GMT
#2205
On March 26 2012 11:09 xaoteca wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Sovano! I have read the Manyak's guide already and my preference tilts in favour of browns, but I'm still wondering what others think.
Also I wanted to ask if the glossy finish of the Das is a huge downside?
EDIT: Answered already, thx m1rk3.


I like blue switches more than browns, but that's just my personal preference.

The glossy finish of the Das keyboard can be a downside if don't like to see fingerprints all over the keyboard, otherwise the Das keyboard is actually really good....
Fluxinator
Profile Joined March 2012
United Kingdom4 Posts
March 27 2012 13:00 GMT
#2206
I've got the razer black widow (I got the ultimate for the price of the expert because it was 3 weeks late so they gave it me as compensation). I don't regret getting it, it's cheaper than most of the other mechanical keyboards I was considering.


I was going to post this in a new thread but I can't because I'm a new member. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use keycaps off the WASD keyboards site with the BWU? (for all keys? Also what about the backlighting?)

2) Are there any keycap sets that anyone would recommend for SC2? I was considering doing something standard like WASD, esc, Fn and arrow keys blank black with the rest white. I think I want at least some blank keys on there, I think they look really good. I was also considering the chequered effect as that's also an option. I tried designing one with protoss hotkeys but it looked stupid. Ideas?
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 14:08:13
March 27 2012 14:06 GMT
#2207
After testing several keyboards from Razer, Corsair, and Das( with Brown, Blue, and Red switches), I went with the Razer BWU.

I really like the clickiness and brightness of the backlighting are just awesome fanboy-type things to have. I'm generally more of a Steelseries product line guy, but Razer has been making some great products as of late. After my last season of WoW arena and now LoL + SC2, I'm using quite a few Razer products: Naga, Blackwidow Ultimate, and their mouse bungee.

I have to say, I'm impressed by the fit and finish of the BWU, though I would have gotten the matte(stealth) version if it had Blue switches (stealth has Brown). Brown are still loudish, but it just sounds so freakin' cool to have loud clicky switches.

I remember back in CS season 11 when Razer first started hitting the scene, and were sort of gimmicky and no pros really used them- they seemed to be high-feature, low-durability products at the time. However, my Naga has worked flawlessly for about a year, and this keyboard is a joy. With everything that Razer is doing to establish itself as the major eSports hardware supplier, I have no problem giving them my business.





shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Waterflow
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1550 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 14:46:23
March 27 2012 14:24 GMT
#2208
I already have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate but i would like to have a second mechanical keyboard aswell and im interested in a Ducky keyboard..... but i don't know any safe place to buy them :/

oh.... just found out Ducky don't have any swedish layout :/ (would of really like a Ducky :/ so sexy)

So maybe a Filco instead then. Any recommendation on what Filco keyboard is best for Starcraft 2?
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
March 27 2012 14:25 GMT
#2209
On March 27 2012 22:00 Fluxinator wrote:
I've got the razer black widow (I got the ultimate for the price of the expert because it was 3 weeks late so they gave it me as compensation). I don't regret getting it, it's cheaper than most of the other mechanical keyboards I was considering.


I was going to post this in a new thread but I can't because I'm a new member. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use keycaps off the WASD keyboards site with the BWU? (for all keys? Also what about the backlighting?)

2) Are there any keycap sets that anyone would recommend for SC2? I was considering doing something standard like WASD, esc, Fn and arrow keys blank black with the rest white. I think I want at least some blank keys on there, I think they look really good. I was also considering the chequered effect as that's also an option. I tried designing one with protoss hotkeys but it looked stupid. Ideas?


1) Somewhat. The regular keys should, numbers and letters. But BWU spacebar is different as well as the alt,cntrl etc (Source). So you can't change the spacebar, but I don't know exactly how many keys would be changeable.

Also the WASD keys are apparently taller than BWU keys, so keep that in mind.

2) Go on the WASD facebook and check out the albums of customer designed keyboards there. Lots of great ideas and designs. Get some inspiration and then go try stuff out with the designer, you are bound to come up with something you like eventually.
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
March 27 2012 14:41 GMT
#2210
Hmm, first time visiting this thread. I first bought a 6gv2, and instantly fell in love with mechanicals, however there's not a great selection here in brick-and-mortar stores, aside from SteelSeries and Razer ones. I have a black widow, and I like it, but ultimately I prefer the more simple, straightforward, built-to-last feel of the 6gv2.

Based purely off of those admittedly vague experiences I have with mechanicals, is there anything I should immediately look at? I'll probably be looking at most of the ones listed in the OP anyway, but some recommendations would be excellent. I highly prefer simple keyboards with no fancy extra features or any bullshit, just straight up built-to-last stuff.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm afraid I can't go into extreme specifics or anything
memes are a dish best served dank
Fluxinator
Profile Joined March 2012
United Kingdom4 Posts
March 27 2012 14:49 GMT
#2211
On March 27 2012 23:06 Crownlol wrote:

I really like the clickiness and brightness of the backlighting are just awesome fanboy-type things to have. I'm generally more of a Steelseries product line guy, but Razer has been making some great products as of late. After my last season of WoW arena and now LoL + SC2, I'm using quite a few Razer products: Naga, Blackwidow Ultimate, and their mouse bungee.



What's your experience with the mouse bungee been like? Considering getting one.


On March 27 2012 23:25 Blaec wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2012 22:00 Fluxinator wrote:
I've got the razer black widow (I got the ultimate for the price of the expert because it was 3 weeks late so they gave it me as compensation). I don't regret getting it, it's cheaper than most of the other mechanical keyboards I was considering.


I was going to post this in a new thread but I can't because I'm a new member. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can I use keycaps off the WASD keyboards site with the BWU? (for all keys? Also what about the backlighting?)

2) Are there any keycap sets that anyone would recommend for SC2? I was considering doing something standard like WASD, esc, Fn and arrow keys blank black with the rest white. I think I want at least some blank keys on there, I think they look really good. I was also considering the chequered effect as that's also an option. I tried designing one with protoss hotkeys but it looked stupid. Ideas?


1) Somewhat. The regular keys should, numbers and letters. But BWU spacebar is different as well as the alt,cntrl etc (Source). So you can't change the spacebar, but I don't know exactly how many keys would be changeable.

Also the WASD keys are apparently taller than BWU keys, so keep that in mind.

2) Go on the WASD facebook and check out the albums of customer designed keyboards there. Lots of great ideas and designs. Get some inspiration and then go try stuff out with the designer, you are bound to come up with something you like eventually.


I guess I'll have to pick a design and then see whether it would look OK without having the spacebar etc changed, I'll look into it, thanks.
Waterflow
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden1550 Posts
March 27 2012 14:49 GMT
#2212
On March 27 2012 23:41 marttorn wrote:
Hmm, first time visiting this thread. I first bought a 6gv2, and instantly fell in love with mechanicals, however there's not a great selection here in brick-and-mortar stores, aside from SteelSeries and Razer ones. I have a black widow, and I like it, but ultimately I prefer the more simple, straightforward, built-to-last feel of the 6gv2.

Based purely off of those admittedly vague experiences I have with mechanicals, is there anything I should immediately look at? I'll probably be looking at most of the ones listed in the OP anyway, but some recommendations would be excellent. I highly prefer simple keyboards with no fancy extra features or any bullshit, just straight up built-to-last stuff.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm afraid I can't go into extreme specifics or anything


Same here. My first visiting this thread aswell. I have a Blackwidow Ultimate and i love it to death but just as you im in love with mechanical keyboards so i just want another one.

Seems like eighter Ducky or Filco is the best from what i've managed to figure out. Ducky has no nordic layout though wich is a big dissapointment. But then there's Filco who actually have Swe/Fin layout. http://www.keyboardco.com/

I dunno if you as a Norwegian can use a swe/fin layout but you could try i guess ^^
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 14:59:49
March 27 2012 14:59 GMT
#2213
On March 27 2012 23:49 Waterflow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2012 23:41 marttorn wrote:
Hmm, first time visiting this thread. I first bought a 6gv2, and instantly fell in love with mechanicals, however there's not a great selection here in brick-and-mortar stores, aside from SteelSeries and Razer ones. I have a black widow, and I like it, but ultimately I prefer the more simple, straightforward, built-to-last feel of the 6gv2.

Based purely off of those admittedly vague experiences I have with mechanicals, is there anything I should immediately look at? I'll probably be looking at most of the ones listed in the OP anyway, but some recommendations would be excellent. I highly prefer simple keyboards with no fancy extra features or any bullshit, just straight up built-to-last stuff.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm afraid I can't go into extreme specifics or anything


Same here. My first visiting this thread aswell. I have a Blackwidow Ultimate and i love it to death but just as you im in love with mechanical keyboards so i just want another one.

Seems like eighter Ducky or Filco is the best from what i've managed to figure out. Ducky has no nordic layout though wich is a big dissapointment. But then there's Filco who actually have Swe/Fin layout. http://www.keyboardco.com/

I dunno if you as a Norwegian can use a swe/fin layout but you could try i guess ^^


Yeah, it's insane how much better mechanicals feel. When I first bought the 6gv2 I didn't actually know it was a mechanical, or what that meant, practically. But when I used it it was like "WHAT IS THIS MAGIC"

It is somewhat of a bother to be a country with 3 extra letters tacked on to the end of the alphabet, as it creates some problems when shopping for keyboards. I think I can fix it, though, but i'd have to get creative with remapping keys and so forth.

I am going to the UK (specifically to visit my brother at Oxford university) in a week or so, perhaps they have a wider selection of mechanicals there.
memes are a dish best served dank
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
March 27 2012 15:04 GMT
#2214




What's your experience with the mouse bungee been like? Considering getting one.



To be honest, I can't believe I never used one before- it's amazing, the amount of drag the cables make is way more than I would have expected.

Its a similar feeling to adding fresh mouse skates to your mouse- it really changes the feel and glide, and for $20 why not.
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
March 27 2012 15:44 GMT
#2215
On March 27 2012 23:41 marttorn wrote:
Hmm, first time visiting this thread. I first bought a 6gv2, and instantly fell in love with mechanicals, however there's not a great selection here in brick-and-mortar stores, aside from SteelSeries and Razer ones. I have a black widow, and I like it, but ultimately I prefer the more simple, straightforward, built-to-last feel of the 6gv2.

Based purely off of those admittedly vague experiences I have with mechanicals, is there anything I should immediately look at? I'll probably be looking at most of the ones listed in the OP anyway, but some recommendations would be excellent. I highly prefer simple keyboards with no fancy extra features or any bullshit, just straight up built-to-last stuff.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I'm afraid I can't go into extreme specifics or anything


Filco is the standard for a simple and solid mechanical board. But they are quite expensive.

Most boards are fairly similar (A fair chunk of the market is made by one company), so my recommended strategy for choosing a board would be:

1)
Choose a switch type
Ideally by trying keyboards in the flesh, but most have to settle for reading descriptions and watching youtube videos.

2)
Now make a list of keyboards available in your part of the world that come with this switch type

3)
Decide from your list by comparing prices, quality and features.
Odds
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada1188 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 19:36:04
March 27 2012 19:18 GMT
#2216
Alright. My earlier post aside, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but it looks like all of them use PS/2 for this overhyped rollover feature. My computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I'm wondering if using a PS/2 -> USB adapter would potentially be problematic in any way.
Also, are there any retailers that don't charge ridiculous prices to ship to canada?
Odds.633, AM. Plat level currently. Would love more practice partners, add me, let's play!
Boblhead
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2577 Posts
March 27 2012 19:39 GMT
#2217
On March 28 2012 04:18 Odds wrote:
Alright. My earlier post aside, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but it looks like all of them use PS/2 for this overhyped rollover feature. My computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I'm wondering if using a PS/2 -> USB adapter would potentially be problematic in any way.
Also, are there any retailers that don't charge ridiculous prices to ship to canada?

thats a misconception, most mechanical keyboards are usb with ps/2 adapters. unfortunatly i can only think of ncix or newegg that will ship to canada without crazy prices, pchome ships to canada for $20 or so. its a good deal, considerimg their selection.
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
March 27 2012 20:17 GMT
#2218
On March 28 2012 04:18 Odds wrote:
Alright. My earlier post aside, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but it looks like all of them use PS/2 for this overhyped rollover feature. My computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I'm wondering if using a PS/2 -> USB adapter would potentially be problematic in any way.
Also, are there any retailers that don't charge ridiculous prices to ship to canada?



Uhhhh, haven't seen any that are PS/2 only... it's a dead technology.

Many of them offer PS/2 for n-key rollover, but almost everyone uses USB. USB is a far better port than PS/2, but only supports 6-key rollover.

shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
Odds
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada1188 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 20:25:16
March 27 2012 20:21 GMT
#2219
On March 28 2012 04:39 Boblhead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2012 04:18 Odds wrote:
Alright. My earlier post aside, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but it looks like all of them use PS/2 for this overhyped rollover feature. My computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I'm wondering if using a PS/2 -> USB adapter would potentially be problematic in any way.
Also, are there any retailers that don't charge ridiculous prices to ship to canada?

thats a misconception, most mechanical keyboards are usb with ps/2 adapters. unfortunatly i can only think of ncix or newegg that will ship to canada without crazy prices, pchome ships to canada for $20 or so. its a good deal, considerimg their selection.

Alright. After a bunch of hunting, I'm looking specifically at the cm storm here: (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060)
Blue switches aren't really an option (as far as I can tell, they seem very loud. Maybe they're not as bad in person as they seem on youtube?), as I live at home and my parents are very light sleepers. Red ones look like the most efficient to me, but should I be worried or concerned about using reds on a first mech keyboard? I'm told that they can be distressingly light.
Odds.633, AM. Plat level currently. Would love more practice partners, add me, let's play!
m1rk3
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada412 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-27 21:05:04
March 27 2012 21:01 GMT
#2220
On March 28 2012 05:21 Odds wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2012 04:39 Boblhead wrote:
On March 28 2012 04:18 Odds wrote:
Alright. My earlier post aside, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard but it looks like all of them use PS/2 for this overhyped rollover feature. My computer doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I'm wondering if using a PS/2 -> USB adapter would potentially be problematic in any way.
Also, are there any retailers that don't charge ridiculous prices to ship to canada?

thats a misconception, most mechanical keyboards are usb with ps/2 adapters. unfortunatly i can only think of ncix or newegg that will ship to canada without crazy prices, pchome ships to canada for $20 or so. its a good deal, considerimg their selection.

Alright. After a bunch of hunting, I'm looking specifically at the cm storm here: (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3060)
Blue switches aren't really an option (as far as I can tell, they seem very loud. Maybe they're not as bad in person as they seem on youtube?), as I live at home and my parents are very light sleepers. Red ones look like the most efficient to me, but should I be worried or concerned about using reds on a first mech keyboard? I'm told that they can be distressingly light.


yes the reds are light, i just ordered the cm storm (reds) a week ago and it should be coming in soon. The best way i can explain the force needed to depress a red switch to something that you have experienced is this: it's slightly lighter than a membrane keyboard. Lol, sorry if that doesn't help, but when i tried them out that's how it felt for me.

The quickfire reds cost a bit more than some of the keyboards on this thread (qtan's chocmini or kbc), but there were two downsides with buying from china: longer wait time (shipping) and if i needed to make a return. The leopolds on elitekeyboards had a higher shipping cost than the quickfires.
For the Dominion!
Prev 1 109 110 111 112 113 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19024
firebathero 2223
Bisu 683
Hyuk 465
Horang2 220
BeSt 205
EffOrt 114
Sexy 111
Larva 109
Leta 108
[ Show more ]
Soma 94
Killer 84
Dewaltoss 82
Light 81
ZerO 55
ToSsGirL 49
soO 43
Rush 36
Pusan 35
Yoon 35
Sharp 32
Shinee 25
Aegong 23
NaDa 21
Bale 21
Sacsri 20
Hm[arnc] 16
sorry 14
JulyZerg 11
Barracks 7
Noble 5
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
Fuzer 178
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1001
byalli749
kRYSTAL_49
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
crisheroes716
Other Games
gofns35108
singsing1717
olofmeister1095
Mew2King98
ArmadaUGS52
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2373
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 55m
OSC
11h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 55m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.