• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:43
CEST 10:43
KST 17:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7176 users

2015: The Renaissance and Golden Age of Korean SC2 - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
53 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
August 03 2020 20:46 GMT
#41
On August 03 2020 17:49 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Well then we agree to disagree here.
Dream vs Life is still the highest level series I have watched to this date.

I would agree.
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
August 04 2020 00:58 GMT
#42
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Even though 5 years is a lot of time to improve, the top players back in 2015 had also all been pros for at least 5 years before then. Some even longer.

Add the that the level of practice these guys were getting when there were like 3x the number of korean pros, and most of them were in kespa houses. The builds those guys were doing were customed and optimised pretty much as well as you could with the game being how it was. I don't think there's much reason to believe any top korean pros now are playing better than they were 5 years ago.
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
August 04 2020 01:08 GMT
#43
On August 03 2020 17:47 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 05:05 Poopi wrote:
On August 03 2020 02:24 Cricketer12 wrote:
On August 02 2020 17:32 Poopi wrote:
Wasn’t 2015 mostly HotS AND blink era? No thanks then, even though there were lot of leagues the game just wasn’t good

Article
SC2 was great because of all the koreans leagues, and dream maru and life trading insane series after insane serirs
Poopi
dUh BluNK

There were korean leagues in 2016 as well and LotV was just a better game for all of its lifespan than HotS ever was imo.
But yeah the article is cool, korean leagues are the most interesting that's for sure.

The game in 2016 was shit with tankivacs, mass Reapers, mass Adepts, 4 supply mass Tempest spam and Ultras that got healed by marine bullets...

Don't forget pylon cannons and maps like Dasan Station.

To be honest 2015 wasn't great in terms of game design either. But it definitely produced the highest level of competition and gameplay between pros.

Maru, herO, and Life were the best players of their races while also being the most entertaining. Rain, INnoVation, soO, and Zest were all still winning championships. Even the next generation of elites (Dark, Stats, TY) had broken out and were making it deep. Even PartinG was in his prime.
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
August 04 2020 04:55 GMT
#44
Good writeup and good reminiscing. Except for broodlord+infestor. Those aren't good memories. Broodlord infestor and swarm host wars aren't the SC2 memories I want in 2030.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
1-Larry
Profile Joined August 2020
4 Posts
August 04 2020 06:54 GMT
#45
The release of sc2 was so unnecessary it even killed broodwar for some years. David Kim failed hard and the whole company failing even harder till this day.. Nuff said
Argonauta
Profile Joined July 2016
Spain4967 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-08-04 13:58:01
August 04 2020 13:57 GMT
#46
2015 was the year I got hooked up in the SC2 pro scene. No wonder why.
Rogue | Maru | Scarlett | Trap
TL+ Member
stilt
Profile Joined October 2012
France2755 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-08-04 15:05:45
August 04 2020 15:01 GMT
#47
On August 03 2020 02:24 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 02 2020 17:32 Poopi wrote:
Wasn’t 2015 mostly HotS AND blink era? No thanks then, even though there were lot of leagues the game just wasn’t good

Article
SC2 was great because of all the koreans leagues, and dream maru and life trading insane series after insane serirs
Poopi
dUh BluNK


Well, no matter what the structures are, if the game are shits (and oh god they were, the 2015 blizzcon really showcase awful stuff, Life advancing just with tricks because it was the only way as a zerg) I just don't watch.
A year of mech and blink dominance doesn't make me nostalgic in the slightest.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
August 04 2020 15:16 GMT
#48
On August 04 2020 09:58 Fango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Even though 5 years is a lot of time to improve, the top players back in 2015 had also all been pros for at least 5 years before then. Some even longer.

Add the that the level of practice these guys were getting when there were like 3x the number of korean pros, and most of them were in kespa houses. The builds those guys were doing were customed and optimised pretty much as well as you could with the game being how it was. I don't think there's much reason to believe any top korean pros now are playing better than they were 5 years ago.

I think they both are and they aren’t.

If SC2 was quite as demanding as BW then perhaps. Still very demanding, but I don’t think you have to grind mechanics out quite as hard.

One obvious problem is more the next generation. The current top guys don’t have the coming generation to push them to stay at the top of the game, so perhaps there’s some complacency there too. And not just complacency, boredom too, some of these guys have been playing the same game for 7-10 years and the hunger might not be quite the same for them. In BW that decline in appetite would be ruthlessly seized by the next generation, who would quickly supplant their more decorated elders. You don’t really have that now.

Optimised and tailored strategies have declined a little, equally so have the tournaments that require them. We got to see more of them with an extra Starleague and Proleague for sure.

For weekenders, or just a general high level of skill it seems much the same to me, or higher in areas. The areas it is higher I would argue are just years of extra experience, and the pace of improvement would have possibly been higher still with the Kespa scene still intact.

There’s also more cross-pollination of ideas and strategies across the scenes, but equally within the Korean scene too. The top guys are more free to practice together and players with appreciable English or links to the foreign scene feed stuff back to Korea in a way that maybe didn’t happen when it was considered the Kespa way was the only way.

The foreign scene has a lot of good ideas, even if it’s purely theoretical that the Korean scene has maybe historically neglected investigating fully. With more porous borders some of the better theorycraft is polished with the Korean mechanical chops.

It’s only one example, and I took a pretty long hiatus but coming back and having watched Serral’s stream for example, where he uses the mouse scroll a lot over screen scrolling.

I don’t recall high level players using that technique before but it clearly has a lot of theoretical advantages (with some drawback), so people are still pushing what’s efficient and optimal to this day.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
egrimm
Profile Joined September 2011
Poland1201 Posts
August 04 2020 16:36 GMT
#49
On August 04 2020 10:08 Fango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 17:47 Charoisaur wrote:
On August 03 2020 05:05 Poopi wrote:
On August 03 2020 02:24 Cricketer12 wrote:
On August 02 2020 17:32 Poopi wrote:
Wasn’t 2015 mostly HotS AND blink era? No thanks then, even though there were lot of leagues the game just wasn’t good

Article
SC2 was great because of all the koreans leagues, and dream maru and life trading insane series after insane serirs
Poopi
dUh BluNK

There were korean leagues in 2016 as well and LotV was just a better game for all of its lifespan than HotS ever was imo.
But yeah the article is cool, korean leagues are the most interesting that's for sure.

The game in 2016 was shit with tankivacs, mass Reapers, mass Adepts, 4 supply mass Tempest spam and Ultras that got healed by marine bullets...

Don't forget pylon cannons and maps like Dasan Station.


Yeah the beginning of LotV was even worse than the beginning of HotS imho
I hated a lot of changes that were brought with the last expansion especially 12 workers start, takivacs, adepts and libs.
However as with HotS, LotV has gotten steadily better and I can see why people think that it is the best version of sc2 now - but it certainly wasn't at its' day of release.

2015 was great. Proleague + GSL + SSL combo was delivering superb games and Fantasy PL was pure gold.
Thanks for the article, nice read and a lot of memories
sOs TY PartinG
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-08-06 12:17:21
August 06 2020 12:16 GMT
#50
On August 04 2020 09:58 Fango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Even though 5 years is a lot of time to improve, the top players back in 2015 had also all been pros for at least 5 years before then. Some even longer.

Add the that the level of practice these guys were getting when there were like 3x the number of korean pros, and most of them were in kespa houses. The builds those guys were doing were customed and optimised pretty much as well as you could with the game being how it was. I don't think there's much reason to believe any top korean pros now are playing better than they were 5 years ago.

Now the players are better than they were. This is the stupidest move IMO - comparing the plaeyrs with years of difference. Unless the game totally crashes and bankcrupts the players will be better. But taking an old player and saying he wouldn't have a chance today - duh, he doesnt know the game since the player wasn't bloody playing the god damn game for 5 years!

Now, to the bigger issue. Back then we have many behemoths of the top play. Maru, soO, Life, Zest, Inno, TY, Dark, Rogue, Soulkey, herO, ByuL, Classic and some I forgot. (edit> somehow I deleted Rain, I wouldn't forget my most beloved SC2 Protoss )

Now? Maru, Dark, Stats, Rogue, Zest, Inno, TY. The issue is nowadays half of the players appear to not even try properly. The best example is Rogue, probably the most unpredictable player in the terms of form. Back then Rogue was a beast every time. There was a reason why Maru, Rogue and sOs costed so much in the Fantasy Proleague
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
stilt
Profile Joined October 2012
France2755 Posts
August 06 2020 15:07 GMT
#51
On August 06 2020 21:16 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2020 09:58 Fango wrote:
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Even though 5 years is a lot of time to improve, the top players back in 2015 had also all been pros for at least 5 years before then. Some even longer.

Add the that the level of practice these guys were getting when there were like 3x the number of korean pros, and most of them were in kespa houses. The builds those guys were doing were customed and optimised pretty much as well as you could with the game being how it was. I don't think there's much reason to believe any top korean pros now are playing better than they were 5 years ago.

Now the players are better than they were. This is the stupidest move IMO - comparing the plaeyrs with years of difference. Unless the game totally crashes and bankcrupts the players will be better. But taking an old player and saying he wouldn't have a chance today - duh, he doesnt know the game since the player wasn't bloody playing the god damn game for 5 years!

Now, to the bigger issue. Back then we have many behemoths of the top play. Maru, soO, Life, Zest, Inno, TY, Dark, Rogue, Soulkey, herO, ByuL, Classic and some I forgot. (edit> somehow I deleted Rain, I wouldn't forget my most beloved SC2 Protoss )

Now? Maru, Dark, Stats, Rogue, Zest, Inno, TY. The issue is nowadays half of the players appear to not even try properly. The best example is Rogue, probably the most unpredictable player in the terms of form. Back then Rogue was a beast every time. There was a reason why Maru, Rogue and sOs costed so much in the Fantasy Proleague


Exactly, the players might be better but the game is sadly less competitive in Korea.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
August 06 2020 15:47 GMT
#52
On August 06 2020 21:16 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2020 09:58 Fango wrote:
On August 03 2020 05:30 ejozl wrote:
On August 03 2020 04:52 Die4Ever wrote:
On August 03 2020 03:48 ejozl wrote:
The level in Korea was high, yes, but even Life, Dream and PartinG of that era would die to Serral now.

Doubt it. Serral would have to practice the game in 2015 to learn the build orders and get used to everything like 6 worker start and different units and all sorts of balance changes. Once he does any practice in 2015, KeSPA with all their players and coaches would see his replays and take whatever lessons they can learn from the future knowledge. It's not like he could just show up in 2015 and win a GSL. Remember that many of the balance changes were designed to make skilled players appear even more impressive. Also I think korean players were more in-shape back then, they practiced more and lived in teamhouses and had coaches.

I think players like Dream, DRG, Parting coming back, and GSL shrinking down to just 24 players instead of 32, is showing that 2019 really was not the highest skill era and neither is 2020. Even Byun showed this a bit, I mean if he was so good and skill of the scene only goes upwards, then why didn't he dominate back in 2010 and 2011?

I didn't make up a story about him going back and beating them, I'm comparing his skill with theirs. I think preparation was much stronger back then and players were under strict regiments to try and eek out as much of their performance as possible for short-term benefits. 5 years is a LOT to hone your finger dexterity and feeling of the game though and with practice comes expertise. But as I said there certainly is not the same depth as it is spread out on EU and Kr instead. But for top level play it's best to compare the rivalries I think. Life vs Dream, Life vs PartinG, Life vs TaeJa I feel were the highest levels we'd seen and Reynor vs Serral is above that as I see it.

Even though 5 years is a lot of time to improve, the top players back in 2015 had also all been pros for at least 5 years before then. Some even longer.

Add the that the level of practice these guys were getting when there were like 3x the number of korean pros, and most of them were in kespa houses. The builds those guys were doing were customed and optimised pretty much as well as you could with the game being how it was. I don't think there's much reason to believe any top korean pros now are playing better than they were 5 years ago.

Now the players are better than they were. This is the stupidest move IMO - comparing the plaeyrs with years of difference. Unless the game totally crashes and bankcrupts the players will be better. But taking an old player and saying he wouldn't have a chance today - duh, he doesnt know the game since the player wasn't bloody playing the god damn game for 5 years!

Now, to the bigger issue. Back then we have many behemoths of the top play. Maru, soO, Life, Zest, Inno, TY, Dark, Rogue, Soulkey, herO, ByuL, Classic and some I forgot. (edit> somehow I deleted Rain, I wouldn't forget my most beloved SC2 Protoss )

Now? Maru, Dark, Stats, Rogue, Zest, Inno, TY. The issue is nowadays half of the players appear to not even try properly. The best example is Rogue, probably the most unpredictable player in the terms of form. Back then Rogue was a beast every time. There was a reason why Maru, Rogue and sOs costed so much in the Fantasy Proleague

Inno and especially Zest are currently a shadow of their former selfes so I'm not sure I'd include them in that list.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
rednusa
Profile Joined October 2012
651 Posts
October 15 2020 13:18 GMT
#53
On August 01 2020 23:26 ZAWGURN wrote:
2015 was the year I first got into StarCraft esports, and boy was it a great year to get into it. I took a 1 year break and came back in 2016 and thinking “what happened to all the teams?”


Proleague was running up until September 2016. All the KeSPA teams disbanded after that - except JAGW.
AntiHack
Profile Joined January 2009
Switzerland553 Posts
October 17 2020 02:04 GMT
#54
What this site turned into? What are all this lies of BW being imbalanced and sc2 being popular in Korea?



User was temp banned for this post.
"I am very tired of your grammar errors" - Zoler[MB]
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 140
EnDerr 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2594
Soma 168
Stork 120
Hyuk 100
NotJumperer 64
Mong 49
Killer 47
Shinee 40
Sharp 40
Bale 34
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 34
Hm[arnc] 30
ajuk12(nOOB) 24
yabsab 14
Noble 8
League of Legends
JimRising 476
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1092
shoxiejesuss623
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King157
Other Games
summit1g8025
singsing568
ceh9562
Happy353
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick671
BasetradeTV180
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 16
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2212
League of Legends
• Rush1145
• Stunt478
Other Games
• Shiphtur801
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 17m
INu's Battles
2h 17m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
4h 17m
OSC
13h 32m
Replay Cast
14h 17m
OSC
1d 14h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.