Stronger Reapers, Stim Timings, 1-1-1, 4-gates, all made a zerg's life hell. Zergs often had to aggressively scout, barely tie a fight while gaining an economic/upgrade advantage, and snowball a slight edge to victory. It was tough to be a Zerg, and the race was almost purely reactionary in real time.
To help out the Zergs in the early-mid game, 2 main things were done. First, there is a spot by every natural expansion where Zerg can park an Overlord without it being killed. The Overlord gives a pretty good idea of what the opponent is doing for the next few minutes, thus swapping out the need to 2-4 lings, and swapping them out for drones, boosting the economy. Next, the Queen was made significantly stronger. Not just in one or two areas, but essentially every single way opposing the items in the first paragraph. The Queen is the most well rounded and cost efficient unit in the game, scaling very well to the mid game.
Fast forward to today, and the maps are much larger, there is much more care given to the placement of spawn positions. The early game threats of the reaper, 4-gate, and early timing attacks have been nerfed out of the game. Other early game interactions have largely been eliminated due to the mobility and DPS of the Queens, as well as the significantly easier scouting abilities of Zerg. Zerg no longer needs to react well on the spot, because the information is coming way too quickly. This needs to be remedied. I believe that it can be remedied very easily without breaking the race.
The following solutions would contribute strongly to requiring Zerg players to scout as much as the other races:
1) Eliminate that spot where Overlords can perch without being seen at the natural expansion. I believe this is a must and the only mandatory change.
and 1 or 2 of the following:
1) Decrease Queen Health from 175 to 125/150 depending on other nerfs
2) Decrease Transfusion from 75 to 50 and have the 50 health over time occur outside of combat
3) Decrease Overlord and Overseer speed/health by 10-15%
4) Decrease Queen Speed by 10-15%
5) Revert Creep Tumor spawn time to 15s
6) Decrease Queen Range by 1 to both Ground and Air
7) Give Queen Light or Armored designation
These are slight changes that will force Zerg to be more diligent, and allow more exciting early game interactions. I don't think they will break the race or cause immense swings in balance. I'd like your feedback to see if this makes sense or what different minor changes can occur in the game to revive early game interactions vs Zerg. I am excluding the complete all-ins of the 3 rax proxies and cannon rushes when I say early game interactions.