• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:27
CEST 06:27
KST 13:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7944 users

New Mountains to Climb: soO's 2018 Journey Begins

Forum Index > SC2 General
46 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All

New Mountains to Climb: soO's 2018 Journey Begins

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
Graphics byHushfield
January 15th, 2018 18:57 GMT

Written by Mizenhauer [image loading]
Photos by leimmia [image loading]


It’s not our first rodeo.

At this point, the StarCraft II community is intimately familiar with (Z)soO's struggle. It's one of the most compelling stories in all esports, drawing us in with the gravitational pull of a black hole. We watch with rapt focus, knowing—even dreading—what comes next. No matter how impressive soO looks on the path to the ultimate stage, fate looms like a specter. It’s what makes soO so respected in the first place. He never surrenders in the face of failure.

soO had finished second in GSL a record six times, but the BlizzCon finals was an untarnished frontier. It was a potential Eden if he could only reach it, so soO entered BlizzCon 2017 with his eyes set on a top two finish. The term “life changing money” gets thrown around a lot in sports, but reaching his tenth premier event finals would bag soO more than twice as much as he earned in 2014. $140,000 represented the third largest paycheck in StarCraft history, only eclipsed by winning BlizzCon itself, and TY’s WESG haul.

It might have been aiming for the stars given soO’s form at the time. Most notable were a pair of losses to Dark in GSL Season 3 and the second Super Tournament. soO had always dominated his former teammate, but as BlizzCon crept closer, the wheels seemed to be coming off the bus. This was not the soO who had rampaged to consecutive GSL finals. Fatigue was catching up with him and things weren’t clicking as they had in the first half of the year. The fact that he was happy with second might have been a portent, but he freely admitted that once he and Rogue stood alone, the desire to win flared up as strong as ever. It was an opportunity to pry the monkey off his back.

soO had finished in second place on eight occasions prior to facing (Z)Rogue. But this time was different. He had bared his hopes and dreams to the community when he penned My Life as Sisyphus, winning over more fans to his side than ever before. Those who had previously enjoyed mocking soO status as a running joke had a harder time of it, once they got to know his pain more intimately. soO's confessions revealed another side of a complex personality that didn't know how to give up, cementing the adoration of his followers.

"I’ll get myself ready until BlizzCon no matter what and I’ll show you a different side of myself. A career can be decided in a single moment. BlizzCon is my time to redeem my past mistakes."

It’s clear how much the WCS Global Finals meant to soO. BlizzCon 2014 was a careless embarassment soO never wanted to repeat. 2017 was an opportunity to rectify that mistake, and all the others which had haunted him throughout his career. BlizzCon may not have matched GSL Code S in terms of sheer mathematical difficulty, but the title of WCS world champion came with an unrivaled prestige. Perhaps it would be enough to change the entire narrative of soO's entire career.



It wasn’t to be. There was no doubt that Rogue was a powerful force in himself, but fate was an even stronger one. soO took a 2-1 lead in the series, but crumbled from there. The final blow came on Acolyte where Rogue completely outplayed soO. soO staggered back to the hotel, alone with his thoughts and a suffering none but he could understand.

We had seen soO fail before, but never like this. Rumors of retirement were stirring before BlizzCon even started and they only intensified afterwards. soO was also notably absent from HomeStory Cup and online events. The healing process was harder than ever. Relief was not as forthcoming as it had been when Stats and GuMiho had shattered his dreams. If his brief but noticeable absence fanned the flames, they roared like an inferno when he missed the WESG qualifiers. Some fans couldn’t help running with soO’s ambiguously worded tweet explaining why he had missed the event. It turned out he had simply been out of the country, but it was an unusually timed vacation.

soO seems certain his best days are behind him. 27 is a pivotal age in his eyes, for it is around the period when progaming careers peter out. If he hasn’t won by now, what’s to lead him to believe he ever will?

In 2014 he ascended to the pantheon of ignominious legends by taking second place in three consecutive GSL's. 2016 was the year in which he lost and subsequently regained his drive to be a progamer. 2017 was the year the fans came to know soO as a human and not just a caricature. We marveled at his resurgence, and suffered even greater disappointment because we dared to open our hearts. One can’t help but wonder what 2018 will be for perhaps the greatest Zerg of StarCraft II, the Kong who has outdone even the progenitor of his line, Yellow.

Despite finishing second at BlizzCon less than three months ago, soO does not enter the first GSL of the new year as a favorite. The spotlight shines far brighter on INnoVation, Dark, and the man who beat him in the WESG APAC qualifier, Classic. soO, riddled with doubt, troubled with old age, and coming off the largest defeat of his career has slipped through the cracks. He finds himself in maybe the most challenging group of the Round of 32. Zest is an elite Protoss. Bunny and his distinctive mech play are formidable in their own right. soO’s opening match against NoRegret is unlikely to trip him up, but there’s no denying that soO finds himself in the middle of the pack once more, a startling feat given all he accomplished in 2017.

soO has never quit. He’s given us reason to believe time and again, but this as we enter 2018, we can’t help but wonder if it’s one time too many. Those who savor his losses are licking their lips at the prospect of the only dish that can sate their hunger: soO finally breaking. But soO doesn't play for buzzards. He plays for those who have given him their hearts and cheered for him every step of the way. Those whose attention he garnered in 2014, and those he won over by baring his vulnerabilities in 2017. soO will keep fighting even if this is his last year. He still has to repay his fans for their kindness.

"As for the fans cheering for me and wanting me to win because I've lost so many times... I want to repay you for your expectations, but there's nothing I can say besides “I'm sorry”. I feel you are the driving force that keeps me working hard at the game. It's not over yet so I still want to become a champion, if only to repay your kindness."



Credits

Writer: Mizenhauer
Editors: CosmicSpiral, Wax.
Photo: leimmia
Digital art: Hushfield

Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
January 15 2018 19:08 GMT
#2
The real patchzerg
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-15 22:12:38
January 15 2018 19:08 GMT
#3
On January 16 2018 04:08 GumBa wrote:
The real patchzerg

Back off, vulture, I thought you were only in the campaign and StarCraft 1 -_-
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
January 15 2018 19:09 GMT
#4
No K-pop? 1 star.
kiss kiss fall in love
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
January 15 2018 19:09 GMT
#5
On January 16 2018 04:08 Waxangel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:08 GumBa wrote:
The real patchzerg


The Zerg of many many patches, given the lengthy resume

His blatant abuse of so many patches is quite frankly disgusting.
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
January 15 2018 19:09 GMT
#6
I hope he will not be eliminated in Ro32, considering his group and the style of play of Bunny it's unfortunately possible.
TL+ Member
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
January 15 2018 19:10 GMT
#7
On January 16 2018 04:09 GumBa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:08 Waxangel wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:08 GumBa wrote:
The real patchzerg


The Zerg of many many patches, given the lengthy resume

His blatant abuse of so many patches is quite frankly disgusting.

Don't forget the maps.

soO is mapzerg confirmed?
kiss kiss fall in love
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
January 15 2018 19:10 GMT
#8
On January 16 2018 04:09 GumBa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:08 Waxangel wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:08 GumBa wrote:
The real patchzerg


The Zerg of many many patches, given the lengthy resume

His blatant abuse of so many patches is quite frankly disgusting.

Perhaps the truest patchzerg is one who can abuse EVERY patch. I am enlightened now, thanks Gumba
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
January 15 2018 19:12 GMT
#9
On January 16 2018 04:10 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:09 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:08 Waxangel wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:08 GumBa wrote:
The real patchzerg


The Zerg of many many patches, given the lengthy resume

His blatant abuse of so many patches is quite frankly disgusting.

Perhaps the truest patchzerg is one who can abuse EVERY patch. I am enlightened now, thanks Gumba

Anytime sgtk.
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
January 15 2018 19:17 GMT
#10
soO's gonna get at least one more finals--there's no other way it could be.
Clonester
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany2808 Posts
January 15 2018 19:18 GMT
#11
Time for more silver medals.
Bomber, Attacker, DD, SOMEBODY, NiKo, Nex, Spidii
starkiller123
Profile Joined January 2016
United States4030 Posts
January 15 2018 19:21 GMT
#12
On January 16 2018 04:09 DieuCure wrote:
I hope he will not be eliminated in Ro32, considering his group and the style of play of Bunny it's unfortunately possible.

hoping for Bunny and soO to advance, sorry Zest
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-15 19:40:20
January 15 2018 19:38 GMT
#13
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
GumBa
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United Kingdom31935 Posts
January 15 2018 19:43 GMT
#14
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup
To all the haters: you deserve to witness many, many more Serral victories, worthy of the godlike player he is.
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
January 15 2018 20:11 GMT
#15
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-15 20:16:43
January 15 2018 20:13 GMT
#16
I'm not a soO fan and can't say I was sad to watch him lose in 2014. But seeing it happen all over again in 2017 was kind of painful, even for a detached observer.

I may not be a fan, but I will still cheer for him to break his curse and finally lift a GSL trophy. Nobody with a heart could do any less. Though until that happens, I reserve the right to meme about his second places.

Great writing as usual, Mizenhauer. Though I gotta say, the frequency of these soO articles is a bit.....blatant.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-15 20:15:34
January 15 2018 20:14 GMT
#17
On January 16 2018 05:11 Fango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?

Of course not. They undervalue Kespa Cups because soO won one. Clearly it can't be a true first place.

Petition to rename the Kong line the soO line.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-01-15 20:22:32
January 15 2018 20:20 GMT
#18
On January 16 2018 05:11 Fango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?


Neeb's KeSPA Cup was more prestigious than soO's since there was twice the prize pool and a group stage.

On January 16 2018 05:14 pvsnp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 05:11 Fango wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?

Of course not. They undervalue Kespa Cups because soO won one. Clearly it can't be a true first place.

Petition to rename the Kong line the soO line.


And Flash made top 4 of KeSPA Cup twice. Definitely a joke event.
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
January 15 2018 20:26 GMT
#19
On January 16 2018 05:20 ZigguratOfUr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 05:11 Fango wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?


Neeb's KeSPA Cup was more prestigious than soO's since there was twice the prize pool and a group stage.

Show nested quote +
On January 16 2018 05:14 pvsnp wrote:
On January 16 2018 05:11 Fango wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:43 GumBa wrote:
On January 16 2018 04:38 Musicus wrote:
I like soO.

I enjoy watching him. He is my favourite player.

When he gets second place, I think to myself: No

When he gets first place, I think to myself: ...well that doesn't happen

Never4get Kespa cup


Do people undervalue Kespa Cups because a foreigner won one?

Of course not. They undervalue Kespa Cups because soO won one. Clearly it can't be a true first place.

Petition to rename the Kong line the soO line.


And Flash made top 4 of KeSPA Cup twice. Definitely a joke event.

Building firebats against Protoss, such a bad habit. And he got to the top 4? Joke confirmed.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
January 15 2018 20:33 GMT
#20
On January 16 2018 05:13 pvsnp wrote:
I'm not a soO fan and can't say I was sad to watch him lose in 2014. But seeing it happen all over again in 2017 was kind of painful, even for a detached observer.

I may not be a fan, but I will still cheer for him to break his curse and finally lift a GSL trophy. Nobody with a heart could do any less. Though until that happens, I reserve the right to meme about his second places.

Great writing as usual, Mizenhauer. Though I gotta say, the frequency of these soO articles is a bit.....blatant.


I have written a fair number of articles about soO, but I think you'd be shocked to know the other player I've written about the most. Note: I'll be excluding previews from GSL Season 1 because that system was scrapped and the topic was forced rather than chosen.

By my count, I wrote four articles about soO in 2017 (VSL Preview/Eo Yun Soo/BlizzCon/Weekly Focus). Two others were written as GSL final previews by other people. I wrote three articles about Inno during the same time period (VSL Preview/GSL S3 Preview/Weekly Focus). Two more articles were written for BlizzCon and SSL Season 1 by other writers. There was just an Inno/Maru article and now a soO article. So the two are pretty even on how frequently they've been covered in my tenure. It's not my fault soO's story, and by extension the articles about him, are more interesting and stick out so much more than other players in the scene like INnoVation.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 239
NeuroSwarm 182
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19582
Dewaltoss 168
Bale 54
Terrorterran 19
Noble 8
Icarus 5
League of Legends
JimRising 822
Counter-Strike
taco 260
Other Games
summit1g11606
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1309
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream45
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 20
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota295
League of Legends
• Lourlo1198
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 33m
Replay Cast
18h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.