"We are thrilled once again to have StarCraft II featured during the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship, which will be the first WCS Global event of 2017. It's a legacy we cherish as IEM embarks on its 32nd StarCraft II event. As the players continue their journey for valuable WCS points, fans can expect to see world-class plays and moments we'll remember for many years to come.
The tournament will be the first out of three WCS Global events and the biggest gathering of top tier StarCraft II players of the year. The IEM World Champion will be the first of eight crowned players to secure a spot in the WCS Global Finals. WCS points will also be up for grabs for those who don't make it to the top, which means IEM will set the pace as players vie to reach the WCS Global Finals in 2017. You can read more about the 2017 WCS on the WCS site.
Here are all the details about the upcoming tournament, which has the largest prize pool in StarCraft II IEM history:"
February 27-March 5
We'll see six days of great StarCraft II action! The full schedule will be as follows:
- February 27: Round of 64 (ESL Arena)
- February 28: Round of 64 (ESL Arena)
- March 2: Round of 24 group stage (Auditorium at IEM EXPO)
- March 3: Round of 24 group stage (Auditorium at IEM EXPO)
- March 4: Last matches of the group stage + Round of 12 playoffs (Auditorium at IEM EXPO)
- March 5: Semifinals and Grand Final (Spodek arena)
We welcome StarCraft II fans to join us for the matches taking place on March 3-5!
76 player tournament
- We will begin with the Ro64, which consists of four double elimination brackets of 16 players each. 12 top players will advance to the next round, and they'll be joined by 12 players from the online qualifiers.
- Ro24 will consists of four groups with six players in round robin format. Top three players from each group advance to the Ro12.
- Ro12 will be a single elimination playoff bracket. Players who placed first in their group will advance directly to the quarterfinals. The final 12 players will fight for the coveted trophy and IEM World Championship in StarCraft II, as well as a spot in WCS Global Finals.
With the upcoming ladder season planned to begin on the 24th of January, we do not believe there to be sufficient time for players to be fully prepared. Therefore we will play our qualifiers on the old map pool and then adjust to play the main event on the latest official map pool.
Qualifier map pool
• Daybreak • Vaani Research Station • Echo • Habitation Station • Overgrowth • Newkirk Precinct • Whirlwind
Main event map pool
The main event map pool with updated to the latest official ladder map pool.
We're pleased to announce that this tournament will have the largest prize pool in StarCraft II IEM history-US$250,000! It will be distributed as follows:
- 1st place: $100,000
- 2nd place: $45,000
- 3rd and 4th place: $17,500
- 5th-8th place: $7,000
- 9th-12th place: $3,000
- 13th-24th place: $1,000
- 24th-44th place: $600
Full qualifier info can be found on the official IEM page.