• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:35
CEST 05:35
KST 12:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10906 users

WCS 2017 Announced - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
347 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
December 09 2016 17:35 GMT
#21
I get that many people will not like the specifics, but can someone be really disappointed by this? I mean, I was honestly expecting the "no WCS in 2017" news to pop up any time soon, so the very existence of WCS 2017 with actual global finals and a dozen tournaments through they year, is strictly positive news to me and a cause for celebration.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
Ansibled
Profile Joined November 2014
United Kingdom9872 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:35:43
December 09 2016 17:35 GMT
#22
On December 10 2016 02:32 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:27 Ansibled wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:25 Darkness2k11 wrote:
Why are koreans still banned from the foreigner circuit?

They are not banned, they can obtain visas to play in the foreign circuit.

Yes but why are only koreans not allowed. Why not germans or french or whatever? The argument always was that it's because koreans have the advantage of their infrastruscture but with that advantage gone I don't see what separates them from other countries so much that they can't compete together?

When WCS France has its own circuit and WCS Germany has its own circuit maybe we can region lock them out?

We have a pretty good amount of Korean tournaments with 3 GSLs, IEM, and whatever the other thing is. We have IEM Katowice being a global event, and whatever GSL vs the World is. Having a region locked foreigner circuit isn't denying Koreans the money to have a stable scene, if it wasn't region locked do you think all these teamless Koreans are going to fly out all over the world to have a chance to earn the money back? This doesn't help the lower tier of Koreans players at all, and they're the ones who will struggle.

There's also nonWCS events like SHOUTcraft and Olimoleague.

I still can't see a more detailed announcement, but I don't think it's reasonable to be upset by what we know so far.
'StarCraft is just a fairy tale told to scare children actually.'
TL+ Member
Rehio
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1718 Posts
December 09 2016 17:36 GMT
#23
On December 10 2016 02:28 Charoisaur wrote:
Expect a lot of retirements now.
I hoped blizzard cared for their careers but apparently not.


Honestly, though, it's not Blizzard's responsibility to keep esports careers alive. That's up to the esports community that's been built around Starcraft. The only thing Blizzard is actually responsible for is making the game, any support they give to the esports scene is a bonus.
Topin
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Peru10128 Posts
December 09 2016 17:36 GMT
#24
On December 10 2016 02:35 Ansibled wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:32 Charoisaur wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:27 Ansibled wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:25 Darkness2k11 wrote:
Why are koreans still banned from the foreigner circuit?

They are not banned, they can obtain visas to play in the foreign circuit.

Yes but why are only koreans not allowed. Why not germans or french or whatever? The argument always was that it's because koreans have the advantage of their infrastruscture but with that advantage gone I don't see what separates them from other countries so much that they can't compete together?

When WCS France has its own circuit and WCS Germany has its own circuit maybe we can region lock them out?

We have a pretty good amount of Korean tournaments with 3 GSLs, IEM, and whatever the other thing is. We have IEM Katowice being a global event, and whatever GSL vs the World is. Having a region locked foreigner circuit isn't denying Koreans the money to have a stable scene, if it wasn't region locked do you think all these teamless Koreans are going to fly out all over the world to have a chance to earn the money back? This doesn't help the lower tier of Koreans players at all, and they're the ones who will struggle.

There's also nonWCS events like SHOUTcraft and Olimoleague.

I still can't see a more detailed announcement, but I don't think it's reasonable to be upset by what we know so far.

would be great of olimoleague could give some wcs points
i would define my style between a mix of ByuN, Maru and MKP
Couguar
Profile Joined April 2010
Russian Federation54 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:38:13
December 09 2016 17:37 GMT
#25
I am very glad to see region lock again. Korea is good like its now.
Noonius
Profile Joined April 2012
Estonia17413 Posts
December 09 2016 17:37 GMT
#26
On December 10 2016 02:27 stuchiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:25 Darkhorse wrote:
Honestly this is garbage for Korea but it's better than I expected lol


How dare you, Korean SC2 is healthy as fuck. With Proleague, hot6ix Cups, SSLs, Kespa Cups and Globals it'll almost be too much.


stuchiu is Apollo


Terran forever | Maru hater forever
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:40:17
December 09 2016 17:38 GMT
#27
Great to see another year of WCS, I was a bit worried. Prizepool looks healthy enough.

For all the stupid conspiracy blizzard haters:





Neosteel Enthusiast
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
December 09 2016 17:39 GMT
#28
Could have been much, much worse, all things considered I'm okay with this. Though I hope to god this isn't every tournament.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Swisslink
Profile Joined March 2011
2958 Posts
December 09 2016 17:39 GMT
#29
On December 10 2016 02:34 Topin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:29 CynicalDeath wrote:
...what's the point of keeping the "dividing line" between Korean WCS and Foreigner WCS if Korean Sc2 is basically no more? this is just stupid, it seems almost they did it without taking into count the last 2 months events...

werent IEM and DH heads the guys that didnt want to have koreans and prefered AM/EU players? if thats the case sc2 status in Korea means nothing to them so why change it


Well, not exactly. Blizzard paid money for DreamHack and IEM to exclude Koreans. We can assume that IEM and DH wanted a Korean-Ban, not gonna argue about that. But Blizzard supporting only the WCS Circuit Events and not the WCS Globel Events definitely didn't help neither.
Drigger
Profile Joined November 2011
254 Posts
December 09 2016 17:43 GMT
#30
Seems like there are still too many koreans playing Sc2 for blizzards taste. Another season of region locking will probably take care of that though.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:45:46
December 09 2016 17:45 GMT
#31
I don't know what he's expecting as a normal casual has no idea what goes into keeping SC2 in the tournament circuit. At the same time we push the idea that SC2 is always on the up and up as a scene building false expectations, so I can't really blame fans for being irrationally angry since they've been told everything is fine and dandy.
Moderator
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:47:56
December 09 2016 17:47 GMT
#32
Looks cool. So far it's 6 tournaments in Korea and 4 Tournaments outside of Korea. I hope there will be more when all the info is out.

Really hyped about GSL vs The World!

Only 1 global event makes me said, but I think there will be a lot of online competition in 2017. Shoutcraft is already confirmed and TB has even more planned.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 18:44:13
December 09 2016 17:47 GMT
#33
Deleted.



The system is alright.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Ansibled
Profile Joined November 2014
United Kingdom9872 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:50:42
December 09 2016 17:48 GMT
#34
On December 10 2016 02:47 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:35 opisska wrote:
I get that many people will not like the specifics, but can someone be really disappointed by this? I mean, I was honestly expecting the "no WCS in 2017" news to pop up any time soon, so the very existence of WCS 2017 with actual global finals and a dozen tournaments through they year, is strictly positive news to me and a cause for celebration.

I'm not sure this is better for me.
Of course it's good that WCS is still there but with continuing the region-lock for no reason I feel like it's very discriminating.
Before the disbandment of the teams the region-lock supporters could argue that it's not fair to compete with people that have such superior infrustructure but now is there any other reason to ban koreans other than "I don't want to see asians win"?
I mean we can see now more sc2 but watching such a system kinda feels like supporting racism.
I mean obviously nothing will drive me away from sc2 but this is disgusting to say the least and if I wouldn't love sc2 so much I'd boycott this system.

I'd honestly prefer no WCS over racist WCS.

It's not racist. Don't be stupid.

You'd prefer no WCS and no tournaments over having regional tournaments? Talk about spite...
'StarCraft is just a fairy tale told to scare children actually.'
TL+ Member
chipmonklord17
Profile Joined February 2011
United States11944 Posts
December 09 2016 17:50 GMT
#35
All of the circuit events look like they're DHs, I hope that's because IEM hasn't announced next seasons schedule and not that they've pulled out of SC2.

I know the global event is an IEM but that's the end of this seasons not next seasons
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
December 09 2016 17:51 GMT
#36
On December 10 2016 02:48 Ansibled wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:47 Charoisaur wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:35 opisska wrote:
I get that many people will not like the specifics, but can someone be really disappointed by this? I mean, I was honestly expecting the "no WCS in 2017" news to pop up any time soon, so the very existence of WCS 2017 with actual global finals and a dozen tournaments through they year, is strictly positive news to me and a cause for celebration.

I'm not sure this is better for me.
Of course it's good that WCS is still there but with continuing the region-lock for no reason I feel like it's very discriminating.
Before the disbandment of the teams the region-lock supporters could argue that it's not fair to compete with people that have such superior infrustructure but now is there any other reason to ban koreans other than "I don't want to see asians win"?
I mean we can see now more sc2 but watching such a system kinda feels like supporting racism.
I mean obviously nothing will drive me away from sc2 but this is disgusting to say the least and if I wouldn't love sc2 so much I'd boycott this system.

I'd honestly prefer no WCS over racist WCS.

It's not racist. Don't be stupid.

Then tell me what the reason is for only excluding koreans from tournaments other than "I don't want to see asians win"
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Ppjack
Profile Joined March 2015
Belgium489 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:53:57
December 09 2016 17:51 GMT
#37
looks good to me !

keep in mind that this is the WCS circuit (supporter by BlizzMoney and they don't have to)
nothing is stopping tournament organizers to make events, that give extra competition and cash prizes to the players (Shoutcraft is an exemple, it could also be any kind of online or LAN tournaments) and ofc they would be mostly open to anyone aka koreans too.


edit: if we don't see that much extra tournaments it's because sc2 is not bankable anymore, you guys should be grateful and show a little bit more optimism towards the support Blizzard shows to the game
<;o)
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
December 09 2016 17:52 GMT
#38
I think this is great! Starcraft 2 may be declining in viewers but Blizzard still supports the game with both prize money and huge patches.

This is why I love Blizzard.
Ansibled
Profile Joined November 2014
United Kingdom9872 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-12-09 17:54:32
December 09 2016 17:52 GMT
#39
On December 10 2016 02:51 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2016 02:48 Ansibled wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:47 Charoisaur wrote:
On December 10 2016 02:35 opisska wrote:
I get that many people will not like the specifics, but can someone be really disappointed by this? I mean, I was honestly expecting the "no WCS in 2017" news to pop up any time soon, so the very existence of WCS 2017 with actual global finals and a dozen tournaments through they year, is strictly positive news to me and a cause for celebration.

I'm not sure this is better for me.
Of course it's good that WCS is still there but with continuing the region-lock for no reason I feel like it's very discriminating.
Before the disbandment of the teams the region-lock supporters could argue that it's not fair to compete with people that have such superior infrustructure but now is there any other reason to ban koreans other than "I don't want to see asians win"?
I mean we can see now more sc2 but watching such a system kinda feels like supporting racism.
I mean obviously nothing will drive me away from sc2 but this is disgusting to say the least and if I wouldn't love sc2 so much I'd boycott this system.

I'd honestly prefer no WCS over racist WCS.

It's not racist. Don't be stupid.

Then tell me what the reason is for only excluding koreans from tournaments other than "I don't want to see asians win"

They are not excluded, they can play if they have a visa. The winner of the main WCS circuit events last year were Polt, Showtime, and TRUE.

The existence of WCS Korea also gives Koreans who don't want to do this tournaments to play in and a way to qualfiy for global competitions.

'StarCraft is just a fairy tale told to scare children actually.'
TL+ Member
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
December 09 2016 17:53 GMT
#40
On December 10 2016 02:50 chipmonklord17 wrote:
All of the circuit events look like they're DHs, I hope that's because IEM hasn't announced next seasons schedule and not that they've pulled out of SC2.

I know the global event is an IEM but that's the end of this seasons not next seasons

I think those circuit events are all the seasonal championships (aka our modern day equivalent of WCS Premier) and not all WCS tournaments that happen next year.

At least I hope so.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings106
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 243
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 39
hero 34
Terrorterran 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1109
NeuroSwarm185
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Counter-Strike
taco 351
minikerr43
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King207
hungrybox130
Other Games
summit1g10265
Maynarde227
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick464
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 157
• practicex 21
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo966
• Rush825
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 25m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 25m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.