• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:47
CEST 18:47
KST 01:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7285 users

I make 6 figures a year playing video games [Polt]

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Normal
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
October 10 2014 00:45 GMT
#1
http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/09/technology/six-figures-to-play-video-games/


Nice article on Polt aka "Captain America". I like the fact that e-sports gets more coverage day by day. I didn't realize Polt that much annually. Awesome to read though cause he seems like a truly nice guy.
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
October 10 2014 00:54 GMT
#2
The article itself was really nothing special, but it's nice to see SC2 and other games getting more recognition. Someone like Polt is especially good to represent SC2 when it comes to the news.
lopido
Profile Joined December 2013
Canada245 Posts
October 10 2014 01:13 GMT
#3
Polt certainly made 6 figures money last year, but this year i really doubt it, unless he win the global finlas of course.
Skynx
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
Turkey7150 Posts
October 10 2014 01:16 GMT
#4
need an article on $o$
"When seagulls follow the troller, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much" - King Cantona | STX 4 eva
Xinzoe
Profile Joined January 2014
Korea (South)2373 Posts
October 10 2014 01:23 GMT
#5
On October 10 2014 10:16 Skynx wrote:
need an article on $o$


"I made 6 figures in 25 minutes."
Circumstance
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States11403 Posts
October 10 2014 01:24 GMT
#6
Not nearly as condescending an article as I was anticipating. Progress, I suppose.
The world is better when every background has a chance.
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
October 10 2014 01:24 GMT
#7
This guy has consistently been at the top in SC2. Much respect for this man. Such a nice guy and so handsome ^_^
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
Yakikorosu
Profile Joined March 2013
1203 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 01:28:10
October 10 2014 01:26 GMT
#8
On October 10 2014 10:13 lopido wrote:
Polt certainly made 6 figures money last year, but this year i really doubt it, unless he win the global finlas of course.


You're only counting prize money, there's also the sponsor money

Polt is a boss. His career has had ups and downs like all SC2 pros who've been playing for so long but go back and watch his games against MC (who was at the time #1 on the Korean ladder) from GSL Open Season 1 back in 2010. He destroyed MC using tactics that were unheard of at the time like base sniping, backstabs and pincer attacks.
EJK
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States1302 Posts
October 10 2014 01:33 GMT
#9
On October 10 2014 10:23 Xinzoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:16 Skynx wrote:
need an article on $o$


"I made 6 figures in 25 minutes."

7000$ in 6 hours?

or 100,000 in 25 mins.....HMM
Sc2 Terran Coach, top 16GM NA - interested in coaching? Message me on teamliquid!
imrusty269
Profile Joined January 2014
United States1404 Posts
October 10 2014 01:38 GMT
#10
On October 10 2014 10:23 Xinzoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:16 Skynx wrote:
need an article on $o$


"I made 6 figures in 25 minutes."


Bbyong | MMA | Polt | Dream | Maru | Mvp
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
October 10 2014 02:02 GMT
#11
CNN hype! polt such a boss
TL+ Member
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
October 10 2014 02:47 GMT
#12
<3 Polt looked really good in that video. Love it
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
October 10 2014 02:47 GMT
#13
On October 10 2014 10:24 Circumstance wrote:
Not nearly as condescending an article as I was anticipating. Progress, I suppose.


Polt is one of the nicest progamers; why would you think he'd be condescending?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Yakikorosu
Profile Joined March 2013
1203 Posts
October 10 2014 02:49 GMT
#14
On October 10 2014 11:47 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:24 Circumstance wrote:
Not nearly as condescending an article as I was anticipating. Progress, I suppose.


Polt is one of the nicest progamers; why would you think he'd be condescending?


He's referring to "mainstream media" being condescending to e-sports. That's definitely still around though less common.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
October 10 2014 02:52 GMT
#15
On October 10 2014 11:49 Yakikorosu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 11:47 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 10:24 Circumstance wrote:
Not nearly as condescending an article as I was anticipating. Progress, I suppose.


Polt is one of the nicest progamers; why would you think he'd be condescending?


He's referring to "mainstream media" being condescending to e-sports. That's definitely still around though less common.


oooooh gotcha

"Captain America is my favorite hero!"

What a guy ^^
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
October 10 2014 02:55 GMT
#16
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.
tshi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2495 Posts
October 10 2014 03:13 GMT
#17
On October 10 2014 11:02 Ctone23 wrote:
CNN hype! polt such a boss

I'd like to see him play vs that hacker, 4chan.
scrub - inexperienced player with relatively little skill and excessive arrogance
kaykoose
Profile Joined February 2014
United States2302 Posts
October 10 2014 03:16 GMT
#18
Polt for president
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
October 10 2014 03:35 GMT
#19
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
October 10 2014 03:35 GMT
#20
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
October 10 2014 03:37 GMT
#21
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/


Ah okay thanks! I couldn't find the original sc2earnings site ^^
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 03:41:40
October 10 2014 03:40 GMT
#22
Yeah sc2earnings has been dead for a while, aligulac was always more accurate anyway.

side note, it's funny to see taeja and hero so close in earnings.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 03:47:26
October 10 2014 03:45 GMT
#23
Yeah I noticed that too lol.

Over 200 players have made over $10K each, over 70 made over $50K so far, and 32 over $100K so far; deeper roster of high earners than I had originally thought!
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
October 10 2014 04:11 GMT
#24
As much as I appreciate esports and SC2 gaining mainstream media attention, it still bothers me that the comments are still so misinformed.

There is always some dude that will mention WoW in the same breath as SC2, when we all know they are vastly different.
geokilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada8255 Posts
October 10 2014 04:39 GMT
#25
On October 10 2014 10:38 imrusty269 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:23 Xinzoe wrote:
On October 10 2014 10:16 Skynx wrote:
need an article on $o$


"I made 6 figures in 25 minutes."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziXeUpuRzrY

That TvT.. It looks so similar to TvT in HOTS in terms of micro and macro army control by Polt. Yet at the same time, it's so different because today, Polt is so much more refined and experienced. So amazing.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
October 10 2014 04:44 GMT
#26
On October 10 2014 13:11 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
As much as I appreciate esports and SC2 gaining mainstream media attention, it still bothers me that the comments are still so misinformed.

There is always some dude that will mention WoW in the same breath as SC2, when we all know they are vastly different.


Yeah I like how he was talking about guilds that raid... in SC2.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
October 10 2014 06:59 GMT
#27
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 07:51:31
October 10 2014 07:50 GMT
#28
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

WoW PvE's skill ceiling is not even close to a real competitive game like sc2, grinding in WoW for PvE is just a matter of time and high-tier raiding is all about trial & error, while in sc2 you need way more than that, I'd say the top of WoW's PvE content can be beaten by at least 80% of the population as long as they have time, but 95% of sc2's population won't be even close to what the progamer can do, you need talent and a way more strong mindset to do that.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
October 10 2014 07:52 GMT
#29
ranked number four in the game's global standings.

This made me laugh a bit, the global standings eh, news to me we have those in Sc2
WCS is not a global ranking system, it is just a specific ranking system for something. It also if people do consider it that not very fair on those who play in Korea as we have all discussed.

Anyway, nice read.
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
October 10 2014 09:21 GMT
#30
On October 10 2014 16:50 digmouse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

WoW PvE's skill ceiling is not even close to a real competitive game like sc2, grinding in WoW for PvE is just a matter of time and high-tier raiding is all about trial & error, while in sc2 you need way more than that, I'd say the top of WoW's PvE content can be beaten by at least 80% of the population as long as they have time, but 95% of sc2's population won't be even close to what the progamer can do, you need talent and a way more strong mindset to do that.

Duh! Of course. I thought the comparison is on the "amateur" level, there's like a serious eSport thing about PvE? I was comparing amateurish teams in sc2 vs guilds in WoW. It's the same, the target is the same. Pro players are a whole different story, obviously You don't get payed from a company for playing PvE 10 hours/day (maybe streaming money...? maybe)
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
October 10 2014 09:33 GMT
#31
Hm I wonder how much all those game experts with 1mil subs on youtube make per year. Being a progamer doesn't seem to be that profitable apart from the few very best.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 10:13:22
October 10 2014 10:12 GMT
#32
On October 10 2014 12:45 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Yeah I noticed that too lol.

Over 200 players have made over $10K each, over 70 made over $50K so far, and 32 over $100K so far; deeper roster of high earners than I had originally thought!

Maybe Aligulac should put total time (as official progamer) too. 65k in 1 month is more interesting than someone made 70k in two years.
#1 MC 50 483k (sc2 release until now are ~50 months)
...
#8 Stephano 24 248k
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
October 10 2014 10:17 GMT
#33
On October 10 2014 10:24 Circumstance wrote:
Not nearly as condescending an article as I was anticipating. Progress, I suppose.

Same thing that I thought. I was expecting the usual "can you imagine there are people making more money than you simply out of playing video games??"
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
October 10 2014 10:36 GMT
#34
On October 10 2014 18:33 Shikyo wrote:
Hm I wonder how much all those game experts with 1mil subs on youtube make per year. Being a progamer doesn't seem to be that profitable apart from the few very best.

I consider them to be like musicians in that it's somewhat out of your hands how your material is received and if it catches on. Definitely a great gig if you get to that position, but I've seen a lot of great content from folk who are stuck on 50 subs.

At least progaming success is correlative with being good at that specific game so I imagine that is something that appeals to those of a certain mentality.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
October 10 2014 10:38 GMT
#35
On October 10 2014 19:12 Dingodile wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:45 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Yeah I noticed that too lol.

Over 200 players have made over $10K each, over 70 made over $50K so far, and 32 over $100K so far; deeper roster of high earners than I had originally thought!

Maybe Aligulac should put total time (as official progamer) too. 65k in 1 month is more interesting than someone made 70k in two years.
#1 MC 50 483k (sc2 release until now are ~50 months)
...
#8 Stephano 24 248k

That would be a pretty neat filter to have for sure.

We also have to consider how prize pools have changed over time and tournament density as well, gets complicated dagnabbit!
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
October 10 2014 10:41 GMT
#36
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/

MMA even passed Polt
http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/151-starcraft-ii
I Protoss winner, could it be?
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
October 10 2014 11:25 GMT
#37
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.

Maybe in murica but not so much in yurop
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
Noonius
Profile Joined April 2012
Estonia17413 Posts
October 10 2014 11:36 GMT
#38
Polt, terran represent
Terran forever | Maru hater forever
Nirel
Profile Joined September 2011
Israel1526 Posts
October 10 2014 12:25 GMT
#39
I like how they're implying that millions are watching sc2 online, the only problem is that it's not true.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
October 10 2014 12:28 GMT
#40
On October 10 2014 12:13 tshi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 11:02 Ctone23 wrote:
CNN hype! polt such a boss

I'd like to see him play vs that hacker, 4chan.


What? I don't follow >.>
TL+ Member
Yorkie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States12612 Posts
October 10 2014 13:01 GMT
#41
Polt such a boss
Hwang Kang Hooooooooooo. Follow mah boy Shellshock @Shellshock1122
liberate71
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia10252 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 13:08:05
October 10 2014 13:07 GMT
#42
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/


Awww I liked it when the legends from each 3 races, aka the big 3 of 2011 were #1, #2 and #3.

But Polt and MMA were also big in 2011 so I'm happy its those guys that overtook NesTea.

When $O$ does though, that'll be hard to stomach he's barely been around for 2 years!
Minelord Stimfestor, also known as karma.
intotheheart
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada33091 Posts
October 10 2014 13:45 GMT
#43
Does anyone know if Polt still has military service to do?
kiss kiss fall in love
-Dustin-
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States718 Posts
October 10 2014 14:22 GMT
#44
On October 10 2014 21:28 Ctone23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:13 tshi wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:02 Ctone23 wrote:
CNN hype! polt such a boss

I'd like to see him play vs that hacker, 4chan.


What? I don't follow >.>

Pretty sure hes referring to this CNN video over the celeb leaks.

+ Show Spoiler +
mvdunecats
Profile Joined December 2011
United States102 Posts
October 10 2014 14:41 GMT
#45
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/

It's amazing to me some of the active players still below Puma on that list.
PhoenixVoid
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Canada32755 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-10 14:46:11
October 10 2014 14:45 GMT
#46
On October 10 2014 22:45 IntoTheheart wrote:
Does anyone know if Polt still has military service to do?

I'm fairly certain Polt still has military service but he delayed it due to his studies.
I'm afraid of demented knife-wielding escaped lunatic libertarian zombie mutants
jedi1982
Profile Joined January 2011
United States172 Posts
October 10 2014 14:47 GMT
#47
Just saw this today. Great that eSports is getting attention and even greater that this is POLTUUUUUU!
ElMeanYo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1032 Posts
October 10 2014 15:01 GMT
#48
What the article doesn't cover is the fact that earning big money from this game is probably 1 in a million. Even becoming a pro-athlete is more likely to earn a living.
“The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
Deathstar
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
9150 Posts
October 10 2014 16:19 GMT
#49
^that's irrelevant though. The point of the article is to state
1. There exists an esports industry
2. A lot of money is involved in it
3. Pro players have been acknowledged as athletes by the government

It's not "hey kids you too can make a living if you play games!"
rip passion
THELEHGOTERRAN
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1837 Posts
October 10 2014 21:58 GMT
#50
POLTUUUUU great vid
IMMVP // HIKARU NAKAMURA // DEREK JETER // GARETH BALE
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
October 10 2014 23:42 GMT
#51
On October 10 2014 20:25 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.

Maybe in murica but not so much in yurop


I don't get this, Polt isn't a big name in EU because he doesn't play in WCS EU? He plays in tournaments that get more european viewers than WCS EU.
royalroadweed
Profile Joined April 2013
United States8301 Posts
October 10 2014 23:53 GMT
#52
On October 10 2014 22:07 liberate71 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/


Awww I liked it when the legends from each 3 races, aka the big 3 of 2011 were #1, #2 and #3.

But Polt and MMA were also big in 2011 so I'm happy its those guys that overtook NesTea.

When $O$ does though, that'll be hard to stomach he's barely been around for 2 years!

Taeja T_T most premier wins and only #10.
"Nerfing Toss can just make them stronger"
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
October 10 2014 23:55 GMT
#53
On October 11 2014 08:53 royalroadweed wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 22:07 liberate71 wrote:
On October 10 2014 12:35 Dodgin wrote:
On October 10 2014 12:35 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.


Officially more than Nestea? I know Nestea was third for a really long time and Polt was fourth, but Nestea hasn't won decent money in quite a while now so it was only a matter of time before Polt took third place in winnings.


even MMA passed Nestea

http://www.aligulac.com/earnings/


Awww I liked it when the legends from each 3 races, aka the big 3 of 2011 were #1, #2 and #3.

But Polt and MMA were also big in 2011 so I'm happy its those guys that overtook NesTea.

When $O$ does though, that'll be hard to stomach he's barely been around for 2 years!

Taeja T_T most premier wins and only #10.


should have won bigger tournaments D:
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-11 00:04:43
October 11 2014 00:04 GMT
#54
On October 10 2014 18:33 Shikyo wrote:
Hm I wonder how much all those game experts with 1mil subs on youtube make per year. Being a progamer doesn't seem to be that profitable apart from the few very best.


I just saw a part-time youtuber put out a vlog where he showed his most recent month - 25k total views for $40 bucks. I think the scaling is not totally linear though and if you're been around with more views / history the ad placement is probably better.

Oh and being a big youtuber means youtube partnership, which I believe gives you more of a revshare. But ya, I don't think those 1mil subbers are making a ton either.

Here's the vlog if anyone's interested:


Streaming seems to be more profitable as you are online for much longer at at time though (the obvious benefit of not making videos ahead of time but ad-hoc). Here's Destiny being quite open about the numbers he was getting ~3 years ago:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/218714-what-do-the-pros-earn-and-how?page=13#250

(Twitch.tv was spun out from Justin.tv, so I assume the price per ad is roughly the same, but Twitch has those subscriber buttons for big streamers to add more money into the mix too).
royalroadweed
Profile Joined April 2013
United States8301 Posts
October 11 2014 00:11 GMT
#55
On October 11 2014 08:42 Dodgin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 20:25 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:55 Dodgin wrote:
Polt is basically legend status in our scene now, it took a while but he made it. over 300k earnings, third place behind MC and Mvp.

Maybe in murica but not so much in yurop


I don't get this, Polt isn't a big name in EU because he doesn't play in WCS EU? He plays in tournaments that get more european viewers than WCS EU.

I don't get it either. Polt has been around since the 1st GSL, which is forever by sc2 standards. He won the GSL super tournament, became prime's optimus (MKP is probably still sour about that) and generally remained a fixture in code S even until the very end of wol. He made his name in GSL not wcs am. Saying europeans don't know polt is like saying americans don't know mma.
"Nerfing Toss can just make them stronger"
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
October 11 2014 00:24 GMT
#56
WTF? How is a starcraft tournament like a rave? ROFL
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
imrusty269
Profile Joined January 2014
United States1404 Posts
October 11 2014 00:33 GMT
#57
On October 10 2014 10:26 Yakikorosu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:13 lopido wrote:
Polt certainly made 6 figures money last year, but this year i really doubt it, unless he win the global finlas of course.


You're only counting prize money, there's also the sponsor money

Polt is a boss. His career has had ups and downs like all SC2 pros who've been playing for so long but go back and watch his games against MC (who was at the time #1 on the Korean ladder) from GSL Open Season 1 back in 2010. He destroyed MC using tactics that were unheard of at the time like base sniping, backstabs and pincer attacks.


Polt is always such a pleasure to watch.

Bbyong | MMA | Polt | Dream | Maru | Mvp
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
October 11 2014 00:45 GMT
#58
Jesus Polt and MC look so young haha.

Also I wish I could bring my metagame knowledge and travel back to that time, would be sick
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
royalroadweed
Profile Joined April 2013
United States8301 Posts
October 11 2014 01:14 GMT
#59
On October 11 2014 09:33 imrusty269 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:26 Yakikorosu wrote:
On October 10 2014 10:13 lopido wrote:
Polt certainly made 6 figures money last year, but this year i really doubt it, unless he win the global finlas of course.


You're only counting prize money, there's also the sponsor money

Polt is a boss. His career has had ups and downs like all SC2 pros who've been playing for so long but go back and watch his games against MC (who was at the time #1 on the Korean ladder) from GSL Open Season 1 back in 2010. He destroyed MC using tactics that were unheard of at the time like base sniping, backstabs and pincer attacks.


Polt is always such a pleasure to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQuLSCmg6Zk

Nexus sniping since 2010.
"Nerfing Toss can just make them stronger"
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
October 11 2014 01:23 GMT
#60
On October 10 2014 23:22 -Dustin- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 21:28 Ctone23 wrote:
On October 10 2014 12:13 tshi wrote:
On October 10 2014 11:02 Ctone23 wrote:
CNN hype! polt such a boss

I'd like to see him play vs that hacker, 4chan.


What? I don't follow >.>

Pretty sure hes referring to this CNN video over the celeb leaks.

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5i171h_no


LOL that video made my day. I also enjoyed during the piece about Polt when the narrator said the good ole cliche, "thousands watch him attendance, in addition to the millions around the world"

hype
TL+ Member
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-11 01:24:42
October 11 2014 01:24 GMT
#61
On October 10 2014 18:21 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 16:50 digmouse wrote:
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

WoW PvE's skill ceiling is not even close to a real competitive game like sc2, grinding in WoW for PvE is just a matter of time and high-tier raiding is all about trial & error, while in sc2 you need way more than that, I'd say the top of WoW's PvE content can be beaten by at least 80% of the population as long as they have time, but 95% of sc2's population won't be even close to what the progamer can do, you need talent and a way more strong mindset to do that.

Duh! Of course. I thought the comparison is on the "amateur" level, there's like a serious eSport thing about PvE? I was comparing amateurish teams in sc2 vs guilds in WoW. It's the same, the target is the same. Pro players are a whole different story, obviously You don't get payed from a company for playing PvE 10 hours/day (maybe streaming money...? maybe)

Sure but the commenter was talking about the addictiveness of WoW and how SC2 is just as addictive, and how hundreds of lives was ruined because of WoW (which i truly believe because it fucked my life). I highly doubt even a hundred kids quit college because they were addicted to SC2 lol
My_Fake_Plastic_Luv
Profile Joined March 2010
United States257 Posts
October 11 2014 03:04 GMT
#62
I don't think I'll ever understand why LOL and dota2 have such big fan bases, but I love that Polt has found success in something he is good at, lets hope passionate about as well.

Also makes me wonder if there are any statistics on how much an average Kespa player makes. I'm talking about the ones that don't necessarily win tournaments to supplement their income. Players like Stats! or DRG or Stork or any Code A GSl players, or even Flash (although he did get a DH win finally)
Its going to be a glorious day, I feel my luck could change
My_Fake_Plastic_Luv
Profile Joined March 2010
United States257 Posts
October 11 2014 03:11 GMT
#63
On October 11 2014 10:24 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 18:21 deacon.frost wrote:
On October 10 2014 16:50 digmouse wrote:
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

WoW PvE's skill ceiling is not even close to a real competitive game like sc2, grinding in WoW for PvE is just a matter of time and high-tier raiding is all about trial & error, while in sc2 you need way more than that, I'd say the top of WoW's PvE content can be beaten by at least 80% of the population as long as they have time, but 95% of sc2's population won't be even close to what the progamer can do, you need talent and a way more strong mindset to do that.

Duh! Of course. I thought the comparison is on the "amateur" level, there's like a serious eSport thing about PvE? I was comparing amateurish teams in sc2 vs guilds in WoW. It's the same, the target is the same. Pro players are a whole different story, obviously You don't get payed from a company for playing PvE 10 hours/day (maybe streaming money...? maybe)

Sure but the commenter was talking about the addictiveness of WoW and how SC2 is just as addictive, and how hundreds of lives was ruined because of WoW (which i truly believe because it fucked my life). I highly doubt even a hundred kids quit college because they were addicted to SC2 lol


Also, in response to the quote above...addiction to WoW would point to other underlying personal/mental problems. IE. WoW itself, although addicting is not enough to explain your/their addiction. The addiction is a manifestation of another problem; a problem which is usually related to an escape from your/their own lives. Its like alcoholics. They didn't get addicted to alcohol solely because alcohol is addictive, they got addicted because alcohol gave them something their normal lives couldn't.

Not saying I'm above this problem btw.
Its going to be a glorious day, I feel my luck could change
LarJarsE
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1378 Posts
October 11 2014 03:11 GMT
#64
I'm a server at a mid-upper class restaurant. Today I overheard a conversation between a group of 40-50 year olds. This man was saying how he joined the army when he was 18, and how he does not allow his son who just turned 18 to play video games in the house. He said with anger anger "I'm not going to allow my 18 year old son to sit there and play games, it's just not happening."

This article smashes that perspective all to hell.
since 98'
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
October 11 2014 03:16 GMT
#65
On October 11 2014 12:11 My_Fake_Plastic_Luv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2014 10:24 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
On October 10 2014 18:21 deacon.frost wrote:
On October 10 2014 16:50 digmouse wrote:
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

WoW PvE's skill ceiling is not even close to a real competitive game like sc2, grinding in WoW for PvE is just a matter of time and high-tier raiding is all about trial & error, while in sc2 you need way more than that, I'd say the top of WoW's PvE content can be beaten by at least 80% of the population as long as they have time, but 95% of sc2's population won't be even close to what the progamer can do, you need talent and a way more strong mindset to do that.

Duh! Of course. I thought the comparison is on the "amateur" level, there's like a serious eSport thing about PvE? I was comparing amateurish teams in sc2 vs guilds in WoW. It's the same, the target is the same. Pro players are a whole different story, obviously You don't get payed from a company for playing PvE 10 hours/day (maybe streaming money...? maybe)

Sure but the commenter was talking about the addictiveness of WoW and how SC2 is just as addictive, and how hundreds of lives was ruined because of WoW (which i truly believe because it fucked my life). I highly doubt even a hundred kids quit college because they were addicted to SC2 lol


Also, in response to the quote above...addiction to WoW would point to other underlying personal/mental problems. IE. WoW itself, although addicting is not enough to explain your/their addiction. The addiction is a manifestation of another problem; a problem which is usually related to an escape from your/their own lives. Its like alcoholics. They didn't get addicted to alcohol solely because alcohol is addictive, they got addicted because alcohol gave them something their normal lives couldn't.

Not saying I'm above this problem btw.

You are absolutely right about addiction. It usually becomes an addiction when someone uses it as an escape from reality. Of course the commenter on the article's site casually skips any other facts, and just focuses on WoW ruining lives, thus SC2 will also ruin lives.
MoonfireSpam
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1153 Posts
October 11 2014 03:45 GMT
#66
I would be interested to see a time spent / earnings to give an hourly rate ratio.
Random_0
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1163 Posts
October 11 2014 04:30 GMT
#67
To be fair to Polt, he deserves the money. He's a very talented, championship winning player in an eSport which has a clear and paying fanbase.

If he were the world Ping Pong champion, or the world Monopoly champion, nobody would blink an eye at saying he makes six figures.
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
October 12 2014 06:07 GMT
#68
On October 10 2014 15:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Eh, what is the difference between a guild of x players(never played WoW, so I don't want to say 8 players when someone would argue to death that it is 128 players and I am noob etc.) and a team of x players focusing 2-4 hours every evening on the goal to get better in the game? The result is the same, you get better in the game.

I am totally OK with that. Grinding gear or grinding build orders, pff, the same. It consumes the same time, you use the same means to achieve that and for most of the mankind it is a waste of time

I agree that the games are totally different, but in some way they are not.

It's nothing alike. Grinding games won't make you good and neither does raiding. Professional e-sports athletes spend 6-12 hours per day practicing. Not grinding games, but deliberately practicing to improve which is quite different. Anybody can raid once they learn how (and anybody can learn how), very few have the dedication, determination, talent and skill to become a pro gamer.
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
maartendq
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium3115 Posts
October 12 2014 07:33 GMT
#69
On October 11 2014 09:33 imrusty269 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2014 10:26 Yakikorosu wrote:
On October 10 2014 10:13 lopido wrote:
Polt certainly made 6 figures money last year, but this year i really doubt it, unless he win the global finlas of course.


You're only counting prize money, there's also the sponsor money

Polt is a boss. His career has had ups and downs like all SC2 pros who've been playing for so long but go back and watch his games against MC (who was at the time #1 on the Korean ladder) from GSL Open Season 1 back in 2010. He destroyed MC using tactics that were unheard of at the time like base sniping, backstabs and pincer attacks.


Polt is always such a pleasure to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQuLSCmg6Zk

2010.. That sure takes me back. It's funny to see how Polt's play style didn't change all that much but MC has grown into an entirely different beast. It's actually weird to see him play this passively.
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM605
TaKeTV 179
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 605
TKL 222
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 95
UpATreeSC 72
Codebar 46
Rex 45
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1001
EffOrt 597
Mini 531
ggaemo 211
firebathero 192
Dewaltoss 125
Rush 78
Barracks 68
910 64
Sea.KH 59
[ Show more ]
Zeus 59
Hyun 50
Shine 47
Killer 38
Shinee 36
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 24
soO 23
Sexy 17
Trap 13
yabsab 11
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4406
Dendi1870
Counter-Strike
Fnx 763
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes864
Liquid`Hasu351
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2237
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt327
ceh9319
Sick181
ArmadaUGS159
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr46
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream521
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile129
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade734
Other Games
• WagamamaTV267
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 14m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.