• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:09
CEST 18:09
KST 01:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7262 users

IEM World Championship to be Winner Takes All for $100,000…

Forum Index > SC2 General
1003 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 51 Next
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 21:23:22
January 27 2014 21:21 GMT
#401
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this. If Parting can win 100k doing nothing but the soul Train against foreign Zergs, why can't we let this happen and just enjoy watching it (which is the best thing we can do to support esports).
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
shinobi112
Profile Joined May 2005
19 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 21:24:00
January 27 2014 21:22 GMT
#402
Regarding the level of play in the finals this can happen in every sport… something happens and a player plays poorly or just one guy dominates the other for some reason or another, the winner takes all should have no impact on the play of the finals except to maybe INCREASE it, considering the guy who may be down 0-2 can not just be like well I will take the 2nd place money and I am happy so whatever.

We all need to support IEM and support their efforts for helping the starcraft scene continue to have tournaments.
one day one life
oo_Wonderful_oo
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
The land of freedom23126 Posts
January 27 2014 21:23 GMT
#403
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this.


Don't forget that it's free enter as well and it will be full 11500 stadium.
Dis gon be really good.
And emotions will skyrocket through the roof in the finals.
LiquidLegends StaffFPL 25 #1 | tfw I cast games on-air | back-to-back Liquibet winner
XaCez
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden6991 Posts
January 27 2014 21:23 GMT
#404
What better way to hype a tournament than to make everyone argue about the way to handle the prize pool?
People get too easily offended by people getting too easily offended by the word rape.
HellNino
Profile Joined September 2011
France156 Posts
January 27 2014 21:24 GMT
#405
On January 28 2014 06:21 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:19 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:15 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:14 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:13 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Fucking lol

Giddily awaiting for your soundcloud rant.


I'm on a boat, about to leave port. Frankly I can't even be bothered, I'd rather focus on doing my own thing this year.


Carcass, Dark Tranquillity, Swallow the Sun, Obituary, Death (even without Chuck), DRI, Soilwork, Septic Flesh?

I am fucking jealous. :<

There is a band called Swashbuckle. I just need to know more about that band.


That's just some metal with guys screaming in their mic on apocalyptic sounds. Not the best metal group ever.
Their pirates costumes are sweet though.
26
Ammanas
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Slovakia2166 Posts
January 27 2014 21:24 GMT
#406
On January 28 2014 06:23 oo_Wonderful_oo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this.


Don't forget that it's free enter as well and it will be full 11500 stadium.
Dis gon be really good.
And emotions will skyrocket through the roof in the finals.

Imagine (P)herO[jOin]'s smile when he wins that all
JangBi forever <3 || Classic! herO! Rain! Zest! | Rogue! Hydra! Solar! | Fantasy! Cure! Reality! Sorry! Journey!
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
January 27 2014 21:24 GMT
#407
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this. If Parting can win 100k doing nothing but the soul Train against foreign Zergs, why can't we let this happen and just enjoy watching it (which is the best thing we can do to support esports).


I'd wholeheartedly agree with that if it wasn't the freaking WC.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
January 27 2014 21:25 GMT
#408
On January 28 2014 06:24 Musicus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this. If Parting can win 100k doing nothing but the soul Train against foreign Zergs, why can't we let this happen and just enjoy watching it (which is the best thing we can do to support esports).


I'd wholeheartedly agree with that if it wasn't the freaking WC.


But because it's the WC, isn't everyone participating in it already kinda doing well, or did I miss how the system works? :/
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
January 27 2014 21:26 GMT
#409
I dislike.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 27 2014 21:27 GMT
#410
Good god this is horrible. Sure the finals will be pretty tense, but what better way to aid the thinning out of the number of competitive players in SC2 than denying prize money to those who place well but aren't quite at the top yet?
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
geokilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada8255 Posts
January 27 2014 21:27 GMT
#411
LOL this is such a slap in the face to 2nd place and below. IEM just lost a fan.
Ammanas
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Slovakia2166 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 21:28:38
January 27 2014 21:28 GMT
#412
On January 28 2014 06:27 Darkhoarse wrote:
Good god this is horrible. Sure the finals will be pretty tense, but what better way to aid the thinning out of the number of competitive players in SC2 than denying prize money to those who place well but aren't quite at the top yet?

But this is not a competition with dark horse-fan favourites etc. These are all event winners. These are players that already ARE at the top...
JangBi forever <3 || Classic! herO! Rain! Zest! | Rogue! Hydra! Solar! | Fantasy! Cure! Reality! Sorry! Journey!
imrusty269
Profile Joined January 2014
United States1404 Posts
January 27 2014 21:28 GMT
#413
I'm just sad that one of the protosses is going to win this.
Bbyong | MMA | Polt | Dream | Maru | Mvp
dgwow
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1024 Posts
January 27 2014 21:28 GMT
#414
lol this is crazy... I hope that they actually give SOMETHING to the guy who makes it in second place. Maybe as a surprise... that would make it even more exciting.

However, a winner-takes-all format does make a somewhat stale format seem exciting again. The stakes have never been higher!
Don't let those anti-cheese advocates tell you what to do. Rush to meet life head on!
Muffloe
Profile Joined December 2012
Sweden6061 Posts
January 27 2014 21:28 GMT
#415
I don't see the point, bigger incentive? Imagine the finals ending in a fashion of Mvp vs Squirtle, literally decided by an inch. I guess you could say; won't somebody think of the players!
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
January 27 2014 21:29 GMT
#416
On January 28 2014 06:25 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:24 Musicus wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this. If Parting can win 100k doing nothing but the soul Train against foreign Zergs, why can't we let this happen and just enjoy watching it (which is the best thing we can do to support esports).


I'd wholeheartedly agree with that if it wasn't the freaking WC.


But because it's the WC, isn't everyone participating in it already kinda doing well, or did I miss how the system works? :/


No that's mostly true. But then they should've announced it at the beginning of the season. Everybody just assumed it would be the same distribution as usual. If they announced it from the start, I wouldn't be so disappointed. It's just a 180° turn out of nothing.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
oo_Wonderful_oo
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
The land of freedom23126 Posts
January 27 2014 21:30 GMT
#417
On January 28 2014 06:24 Ammanas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:23 oo_Wonderful_oo wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:21 DinoMight wrote:
Guys, is it really a big deal if ONE IEM tournament is winner takes all for a little hype? IEM does a lot more than most to promote and grow e-sports and they want to do ONE tournament with something a little out of the ordinary. E-sports has not been growing at the rate that everyone in the community wants so they're trying something new.

I wasn't really going to watch this tournament, but now I am. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets great viewership actually.

Again, it's just ONE tournament like this. I'm okay with it. The players are all being flown out all expenses paid anyway. So they can only benefit from this.


Don't forget that it's free enter as well and it will be full 11500 stadium.
Dis gon be really good.
And emotions will skyrocket through the roof in the finals.

Imagine (P)herO[jOin]'s smile when he wins that all


I prefer Nani or sOs jumping :D
Or Parting with some weird ceremony.
But smiling herO will make finals a bit more fun for runner-up i guess.
LiquidLegends StaffFPL 25 #1 | tfw I cast games on-air | back-to-back Liquibet winner
Epamynondas
Profile Joined September 2012
387 Posts
January 27 2014 21:31 GMT
#418
Watch an awesome patch be released two days before this tournament and a TvT finals.
chaos021
Profile Joined March 2012
United States258 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 21:32:04
January 27 2014 21:31 GMT
#419
On January 28 2014 06:09 Epamynondas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:07 chaos021 wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:05 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 28 2014 06:02 chaos021 wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:50 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:48 SpikeStarcraft wrote:
I like Socke's opinion.


Except playing tournaments is actually a competition and casting is not.


Tell that to all the casters who get crapped on the minute some big name says "Sure, I don't mind casting that for you." There may not be an explicit, posted competition, but you better believe there's competition. Even among notable casters.

That's a competition in the same way getting a contract from EG is a competition.

A tournament competition is not the same thing and there's no similar thing in casting that i know of.


Because we've never seen teams setup tournaments for that sort of thing. [/sarcasm]


That's the most nitpicky and less relevant thing i've read today.


You're the moron who brought it up.

On January 28 2014 06:11 LongShot27 wrote:
This is great news, all the players who get there have likely already won something from IEM in this season. This is just icing on the cake. If you're whining about not finishing first, don't compete. Play to win, if you dont, oh well.


That's the exactly the problem in my opinion. How often do you see someone get cheesed out of the game because their opponent clearly knew they weren't going to make it with macro play. That's fine and all either way, but I don't get excited by that sort of dynamic, no matter how it shakes out. I get that this is generally going to be icing on the cake for those who have won some significant money prior to this. The problem I have is that I don't think this format will help find the best player or help the SC2 scene as a whole. They argue that the WCS gives pro scene a place to earn a living, but that just seems plain wrong. I don't see solid pros making it into the money all the time. It's easy to get cheesed out or just have a bad day there. Then again it's not IEM's job to be there for everyone. I just don't agree with their opinion on how this will shake out for everyone.
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
January 27 2014 21:31 GMT
#420
JD vs MarineKing final
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM339
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 339
TKL 185
ProTech140
SteadfastSC 128
UpATreeSC 42
ByuN 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34082
Calm 3335
Shuttle 2260
Jaedong 1665
Mini 613
Horang2 561
EffOrt 497
Soma 310
Rush 298
Stork 238
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 235
ZerO 215
BeSt 176
Snow 157
firebathero 110
Mong 97
Zeus 85
hero 81
910 81
Mind 70
Hyun 44
sorry 41
Shine 37
Sharp 37
Free 35
Shinee 32
Yoon 30
ToSsGirL 27
Killer 25
PianO 24
Terrorterran 24
Aegong 20
JYJ 19
Bale 17
Trap 15
Rock 14
scan(afreeca) 14
Sexy 13
Sacsri 12
HiyA 11
Hm[arnc] 9
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5903
Dendi1211
League of Legends
KnowMe3
Counter-Strike
fl0m3440
Fnx 561
x6flipin453
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King79
ChuDatz33
Other Games
singsing2073
Liquid`RaSZi1256
B2W.Neo705
hiko657
ceh9387
crisheroes309
dupreeh309
Khaldor217
420jenkins214
Livibee213
QueenE122
Trikslyr84
Beastyqt76
Dewaltoss62
C9.Mang056
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV263
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH291
• Hinosc 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4108
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2595
Other Games
• Shiphtur782
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 52m
INu's Battles
18h 52m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
20h 52m
OSC
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.