• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:36
CEST 17:36
KST 00:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8818 users

GSL Finals Retrospective Part 2: #7 - #1 - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
145 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
forsooth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3648 Posts
January 02 2014 06:29 GMT
#21
On January 02 2014 15:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
I was almost correct in my predictions for how top 7 would be ranked, but my bias towards DRG made me switch the top 2 around
my problem with Mvp v Squirtle was that other than that INCREDIBLE finish, game 5 on metropolis (my favorite map in all of Starcraft) was painfully annoying with how passive both of them were
Either way those top 3 finals at least truly deserved to be top 3

That's one of the reasons I don't even consider game 5 to be a particularly good game. It was endless camping split map followed by a terrible blunder that ended the game in 10 seconds.
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
January 02 2014 06:32 GMT
#22
I cried when Mvp won that Game 7
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
bittman
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia8759 Posts
January 02 2014 06:32 GMT
#23
Great read, thanks Fionn!

Agree with the top 3, including the order for the reasons listed.
Mvp - Leenock - Dongraegu - MC - Gumiho - Keen - Polt - Squirtle - Jjakji - Genius - Seed - Life - sC - Dream || LG-IM - MVP - FXO
levelping
Profile Joined May 2010
Singapore759 Posts
January 02 2014 06:34 GMT
#24
As a measure of how awesome mvp v squirtle is, let me tell you all what I was doing on that day. I was seeing this awesome girl at the time and on the day of the finals she was in my room hanging out. One thing let to another, and we were about to have sexy time when I realised "o shit! The finals are on!"

So I had to disengage and invited a (somewhat annoyed) girl who has never heard of statecraft inn her life, to watch the finals with me. I spent the first few matches explaining to her how the game worked and pointing out good plays. By game 7 she was hooked and cheering on mvp. When the proxy rax happened, she yelled at the monitor. When it appeared to fail she cursed along with me. And when mvp won we both clapped.

I miss mvp, sad to see him fade away. O I guess I miss that girl too.
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
January 02 2014 06:38 GMT
#25
Oh, what sweet memories!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
January 02 2014 06:46 GMT
#26
On January 02 2014 15:34 levelping wrote:
As a measure of how awesome mvp v squirtle is, let me tell you all what I was doing on that day. I was seeing this awesome girl at the time and on the day of the finals she was in my room hanging out. One thing let to another, and we were about to have sexy time when I realised "o shit! The finals are on!"

So I had to disengage and invited a (somewhat annoyed) girl who has never heard of statecraft inn her life, to watch the finals with me. I spent the first few matches explaining to her how the game worked and pointing out good plays. By game 7 she was hooked and cheering on mvp. When the proxy rax happened, she yelled at the monitor. When it appeared to fail she cursed along with me. And when mvp won we both clapped.

I miss mvp, sad to see him fade away. O I guess I miss that girl too.

I cry evryitm
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
January 02 2014 06:50 GMT
#27
On January 02 2014 14:43 Fionn wrote:It's time to go old school. While most of the early GSL finals ended up at the bottom of our list, the second GSL final, featuring former Brood War player ZergBong and former Brood War B-teamer Claire, is the only final from the early days of StarCraft 2 that fans can look back on with fond memories.


I will always have fonder memories of Fruitdealer's finals. From this final, I mostly just remember Marine-SCV all-ins.
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
January 02 2014 06:54 GMT
#28
I actually rewatched game 7 of MMA vs DRG a few days ago, so good.
Refer to my post.
lystier
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
China877 Posts
January 02 2014 06:58 GMT
#29
All hail to the king.
Startale forever.
Advantageous
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
China1350 Posts
January 02 2014 07:03 GMT
#30
Why can't I hold all these feels?
"Because I am BossToss" -MC ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ I'm sure that all of my fellow class mates viewed me as the Adonis of the Class of 2015 already. -Xenocider, EG, ieF 2013 Champion.
MysterySC
Profile Joined October 2012
Andorra109 Posts
January 02 2014 07:11 GMT
#31
ohhh Mvp, so many games to remember <3
<3 Hyvaa
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-02 07:20:06
January 02 2014 07:15 GMT
#32
amazingly written. Is my memory faulty or is one of the reasons Leenok lost game one against jjakji becuase he accidently detonated all his banelings while trying to pull off baneling landmines? I'd check the game but all of gom's 2011 videos have basically disappeared (old website says there on youtub, only stuff on youtube is GSL 2012)


also have to disagree about th game 7 of MVP Squirtle being the best game ever, at least for me. In my heart the best game will always be Killer versus July game 1 of the COH tourny. It was the first time I ever watched Koreans play and it was hilariously bad in every way. Killer blocked his own expo with a cannon while trying to FFE and then July responded by canceling his expo and going for a 1 base roach all in which killer held by throwing up like 5 cannons on the high ground.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
bittman
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia8759 Posts
January 02 2014 07:22 GMT
#33
On January 02 2014 16:15 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
amazingly written. Is my memory faulty or is one of the reasons Leenok lost game one against jjakji becuase he accidently detonated all his banelings while trying to pull off baneling landmines? I'd check the game but all of gom's 2011 videos have basically disappeared (old website says there on youtub, only stuff on youtube is GSL 2012)


Leenock did explode banelings, yeah. Was something like 20 or so. Big loss, but jjakji was already turning the knife at that point. I'd say he didn't "lose because of it", but it might have made it closer.
Mvp - Leenock - Dongraegu - MC - Gumiho - Keen - Polt - Squirtle - Jjakji - Genius - Seed - Life - sC - Dream || LG-IM - MVP - FXO
Inflicted
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Australia18228 Posts
January 02 2014 07:29 GMT
#34
On January 02 2014 15:29 forsooth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2014 15:13 Cricketer12 wrote:
I was almost correct in my predictions for how top 7 would be ranked, but my bias towards DRG made me switch the top 2 around
my problem with Mvp v Squirtle was that other than that INCREDIBLE finish, game 5 on metropolis (my favorite map in all of Starcraft) was painfully annoying with how passive both of them were
Either way those top 3 finals at least truly deserved to be top 3

That's one of the reasons I don't even consider game 5 to be a particularly good game. It was endless camping split map followed by a terrible blunder that ended the game in 10 seconds.


To be fair, it was so passive because Mvp had devised the perfect defense.
IIRC, Squirtle tried breaking it a few times but just ended up wasting resources, so he just built his own deathball.
Liquipedia"Expert"
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
January 02 2014 07:30 GMT
#35
My favorite series is still Jjakji vs Leenock, but that g7 between Mvp vs Squirtle was just something else. No one has failed an all-in to only force it to work with an ambush in a g7 of the biggest GSL Finals of the year. Mvp is the embodiment of victory.
Moderator
LimitSEA
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia9580 Posts
January 02 2014 07:33 GMT
#36
Great read. Great article. Always get chills reading about that seventh game between Mvp and Squirtle. Always praying for another Mvp resurgance.
Long live the King of Wings
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
January 02 2014 07:35 GMT
#37
On January 02 2014 16:22 bittman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2014 16:15 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
amazingly written. Is my memory faulty or is one of the reasons Leenok lost game one against jjakji becuase he accidently detonated all his banelings while trying to pull off baneling landmines? I'd check the game but all of gom's 2011 videos have basically disappeared (old website says there on youtub, only stuff on youtube is GSL 2012)


Leenock did explode banelings, yeah. Was something like 20 or so. Big loss, but jjakji was already turning the knife at that point. I'd say he didn't "lose because of it", but it might have made it closer.

I'd say with the ghost count being what it was miraculous baneling hits were the only chance leenock had, and that while it was a big deal he was pretty much done anyway.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-02 07:37:41
January 02 2014 07:37 GMT
#38
On January 02 2014 16:35 bo1b wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2014 16:22 bittman wrote:
On January 02 2014 16:15 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
amazingly written. Is my memory faulty or is one of the reasons Leenok lost game one against jjakji becuase he accidently detonated all his banelings while trying to pull off baneling landmines? I'd check the game but all of gom's 2011 videos have basically disappeared (old website says there on youtub, only stuff on youtube is GSL 2012)


Leenock did explode banelings, yeah. Was something like 20 or so. Big loss, but jjakji was already turning the knife at that point. I'd say he didn't "lose because of it", but it might have made it closer.

I'd say with the ghost count being what it was miraculous baneling hits were the only chance leenock had, and that while it was a big deal he was pretty much done anyway.


k thanks. I haven't watched it in like a year so I didn't remember what the game was like at the time I just remember the banelings exploding.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
xAdra
Profile Joined July 2012
Singapore1858 Posts
January 02 2014 07:55 GMT
#39
I have no doubt this thread will be filled with people talking about how bad Mvp vs Squirtle actually was, that g5 was a passive turtlefest that displayed all that was wrong with sc2, that mvp vs squirtle doesn't deserve to be #1 because of having a protoss in it.

Nonetheless, I want to thank Fionn for putting effort into this- it's a beautiful piece of work, and if I hadn't watched these finals before and read these descriptions, they'd get me so hyped up to watch them immediately that I'd be going over to gomnet and watch them now.
forsooth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3648 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-02 08:09:04
January 02 2014 08:07 GMT
#40
On January 02 2014 16:55 xAdra wrote:
I have no doubt this thread will be filled with people talking about how bad Mvp vs Squirtle actually was, that g5 was a passive turtlefest that displayed all that was wrong with sc2, that mvp vs squirtle doesn't deserve to be #1 because of having a protoss in it.

Nonetheless, I want to thank Fionn for putting effort into this- it's a beautiful piece of work, and if I hadn't watched these finals before and read these descriptions, they'd get me so hyped up to watch them immediately that I'd be going over to gomnet and watch them now.

Not necessarily, I enjoyed that finals overall and game 7 was an absolute heart-stopper that will always be one of my favorite games of all time. I just thought game 5 was incredibly boring and had a silly ending. I don't take issue with that finals being ranked #1 all time at all. And part of the reason it was easier to stomach than TvP generally is was that Mvp was playing such an unorthodox and aggressive style that saved us from 7 consecutive battles of the balls.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 474
BRAT_OK 43
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31224
Shuttle 2292
Bisu 2191
Hyuk 1073
EffOrt 773
Mini 683
Soma 429
Larva 410
ZerO 243
firebathero 234
[ Show more ]
hero 134
Zeus 120
Sexy 63
Hyun 46
Mong 44
Trap 42
Pusan 36
Killer 33
PianO 33
Bale 31
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 25
sorry 20
Hm[arnc] 19
zelot 18
Rock 14
Terrorterran 13
JulyZerg 11
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8579
qojqva1568
Dendi998
Counter-Strike
fl0m3029
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1397
crisheroes1073
Liquid`Hasu589
Lowko424
Other Games
singsing2144
B2W.Neo1192
Beastyqt627
Mlord316
Hui .230
Livibee204
Liquid`VortiX141
KnowMe115
ArmadaUGS104
Mew2King80
elazer78
CosmosSc2 18
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream54
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 66
• StrangeGG 31
• mYiSmile118
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8010
League of Legends
• Jankos2032
Other Games
• WagamamaTV256
• Shiphtur166
Upcoming Events
FEL
24m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 24m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 24m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 24m
INu's Battles
20h 24m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.