• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:37
CEST 21:37
KST 04:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7342 users

[Interview] Bill Amend of FoxTrot

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
November 16 2012 06:31 GMT
#1
[image loading]


I recently had the pleasure of talking to Bill Amend, the creator of the FoxTrot comic. For those of you who don't know, he's an avid gamer and plays World of WarCraft and StarCraft. He's also well aware of the eSports scene.

Here's the interview.

Q: In FoxTrot, the character of Jason is shown to be smart, resourceful, and just a little bit geeky. Does any of that come from your own experiences?

BA: Most of Jason's geeky interests are reflections of my own, only amped way up. I've always loved things like math and computers and video games, for example, so it's fun to have a character in my strip to channel that stuff. Plus, it's a lot easier to write jokes about things I care about or have experience with.

Q: You mentioned in your interview with AV Club that you've sort of replaced watching football with StarCraft II. To that end, what do you enjoy about StarCraft II? Are there any "thrills" or "emotions" from football that translate over, and some that don't? Are there any thrills that are exclusive to StarCraft?


BA: Haha this is probably the first time in my life that someone is treating me as a sports authority. Trust me, I'm not. I think what I most like about watching StarCraft II is the combination of sustained intensity and unfolding strategy. With most pro sports you don't usually get that "game on the line" feeling until time is running out or you're in the 9th inning. With SC2 it's much more pervasive. Plus, being old and not particularly athletic, when I watch football or basketball or whatever, I know I'll never be able to do anything like that. With Starcraft, the fantasy of "Yeah, I could do that if I practiced enough" isn't 100 percent farfetched. Just 99.999.

Q: Have you ever been to a live event, and if not, would you consider going to one?


BA: Because I'd done a bunch of strips about World of Warcraft back when the game came out, Blizzard invited me to their first couple of BlizzCons, so I saw some live BW and WC3 matches being played there. It was pretty awesome to see how into it everyone was. Then last year I was at the New York Comic Con and by happy coincidence there was an IEM tournament being played there so I got to watch a lot of that. It was super cool to stand just a few feet away and watch MrBitter and Rotterdam do their casting.

Q: How did you get into watching StarCraft? Did you start by playing? And if so, what race?

BA: I'm not sure what specifically sucked me into watching tournaments online. I was actually a beta tester for the original StarCraft, so I've been playing versions of the game since the get-go and have always enjoyed it. My old BW username was SCVking, which no doubt inspired MarineKing's name choice years later (just kidding). With SC2 I find myself watching games online more than actually playing the game. When I do play, I generally play Protoss and tend to stick to team games. 1v1 scares me.

Q: Favorite player/team? Favorite casters?

BA: I like a lot of players, but I have a soft spot for Minigun. He plays Protoss, seems like a good guy, and he reminds me of my son. Plus he has the best middle name ever. There are a bunch of casters I like for different reasons. I'll mention Day 9 as a definite fave though, since he and I have discussed hooking up for a beer next time he's in my area and I don't want him to suddenly change his mind.

Q: Any shout-outs you'd like to make? Where can we check out your work?

BA: Thanks for the great Qs! For anyone who cares, my strip comes out weekly and can be seen at http://www.foxtrot.com.


His interview with the Gameological Society can be seen here. You can also follow him on Twitter at @billamend.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 06:35:37
November 16 2012 06:33 GMT
#2
Awesome, always my favorite comic writer for sunday cartoons.
I know he was talking about doing some casting, or at least being pressured to do some, wonder if he is still thinking about it.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
November 16 2012 06:34 GMT
#3
Awesome thread man! If this were a blog I'd 5/5.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
November 16 2012 06:43 GMT
#4
awesome dude
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 16 2012 06:46 GMT
#5
Well, that was random and awesome and awesomelu random
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 06:51:03
November 16 2012 06:47 GMT
#6
Isn't it magnificent To Look At Bill Liking StarCraft?
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
November 16 2012 06:50 GMT
#7
Awesome!!

Muthafuckin Bill Amend :D thanks for sharing now hahaha!

Loving his responses. Team protoss for the win! 1v1 scares me too T_T
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
November 16 2012 06:51 GMT
#8
BA: I like a lot of players, but I have a soft spot for Minigun. He plays Protoss, seems like a good guy, and he reminds me of my son. Plus he has the best middle name ever.


That he does.
ModeratorGood content always wins.
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
November 16 2012 06:53 GMT
#9
On November 16 2012 15:51 motbob wrote:
Show nested quote +
BA: I like a lot of players, but I have a soft spot for Minigun. He plays Protoss, seems like a good guy, and he reminds me of my son. Plus he has the best middle name ever.


That he does.


The best motherfucking one in the world.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
itsjustatank
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Hong Kong9179 Posts
November 16 2012 07:03 GMT
#10
oh man this is awesome!
Photographer"nosotros estamos backamos" - setsuko
MinzySC2
Profile Joined August 2011
United States261 Posts
November 16 2012 07:05 GMT
#11
This is cool, and congrats to Chad "Motherfuckin" Jones on being Bill Amends favorite player.
Shitposting for America.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
November 16 2012 07:07 GMT
#12
[image loading]
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
November 16 2012 07:09 GMT
#13
On November 16 2012 16:07 dAPhREAk wrote:
[image loading]

One of the best strips hes done. Thanks for digging it up.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
November 16 2012 07:21 GMT
#14
Foxtrot is by far my favorite comic of all time, thus, as random as this interview seems, I am all for it =]. I didn't know he was an avid watcher of the game though, even after seeing it referenced in the strips. Thought perhaps it was just some casual knowledge of video games in general seeping through.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
PH
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6173 Posts
November 16 2012 07:27 GMT
#15
This is awesome, lol. Thanks for doing the interview.
Hello
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
November 16 2012 07:30 GMT
#16
On November 16 2012 16:21 red_ wrote:
Foxtrot is by far my favorite comic of all time, thus, as random as this interview seems, I am all for it =]. I didn't know he was an avid watcher of the game though, even after seeing it referenced in the strips. Thought perhaps it was just some casual knowledge of video games in general seeping through.


You're welcome to check out his interview with the Gameological Society in the OP for more information about his gaming side in general. He's a very intense gamer (and at 50, too!).
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
leveller
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1840 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 08:25:00
November 16 2012 07:37 GMT
#17
I love foxtrot, never read any interviews with Bill before though he seems like an awesome fellow! Knew he was nerdy but not to this degree
edit; better than I thought this man is a freakin baller.
CuteZergling
Profile Joined November 2011
641 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 08:23:24
November 16 2012 08:23 GMT
#18
Yeaaa Chad Jones gettin' dat shoutout!

Btw, love Foxtrot, I have a bunch of the books at home.
Team owner of team QTLing
DinosaurJones
Profile Joined February 2012
United States1000 Posts
November 16 2012 08:24 GMT
#19
Hahaha, this is great, I grew up reading Foxtrot.
Acronysis
Profile Joined November 2011
872 Posts
November 16 2012 11:35 GMT
#20
Wow! That is extremely cool. I love Fox Trot, but I didn't know Amend played Starcraft and WoW. That blows my mind XD. I mean i guess he does reference video games a lot with Jason, but i didn't think anything of it.

Great interview none the less. Thanks so much Divino =)
The multiplying villanies of man do swarm upon him.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM906
TaKeTV 317
TKL 308
IndyStarCraft 181
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub73
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 906
TKL 308
IndyStarCraft 181
MaxPax 167
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub73
JuggernautJason52
Nathanias 39
EmSc Tv 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 655
ggaemo 156
White-Ra 141
firebathero 76
Barracks 61
910 50
Shine 30
Trap 26
Killer 25
yabsab 7
Counter-Strike
Fnx 813
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0171
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8876
crisheroes1772
Liquid`Hasu1531
Trikslyr64
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4801
summit1g4438
singsing1382
Beastyqt930
shahzam414
B2W.Neo342
KnowMe136
ArmadaUGS132
UpATreeSC73
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream392
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 19
EmSc2Tv 19
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 189
• Reevou 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• FirePhoenix14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade739
Other Games
• Shiphtur313
• imaqtpie292
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 23m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.