• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:28
CEST 20:28
KST 03:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9888 users

Heart Of The Swarm: The Pro's Opinions - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 32 33 34 Next All
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 22:41:37
December 02 2011 22:29 GMT
#21
Sc2 is already bad enough with all those aoe super powerful no brainer easy to use units (ghost, templar, colo, infestor). Let's add more spellcasting bs on the field so the game gets... worse. This is my opinion and I'm not being a crybaby. If you don't like it don't assume I'm just whining randomly. I'm not blaming my "lack of results" (?!?results that anyway most people who play sc2 all day would love to have) on a bad game since I know it was obviously due to the fact I never liked SC2 for the reasons I stated before so I was never able to enjoy and practice as much as many other tournament winning players. Even if the game is super gamblish and bad players can win against good ones it doesn't mean the very best players in the world are not able to put the results they deserve (and they can still lose to incomparably worse players - watch mlg orlando). Thing is they are gonna add stuff in hots that will probably be sick hard to balance with everything else already and I really wonder if there is any way for units like the oracle or the shredder to not fuck up totally the game. Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope I am just pessimistic and it won't be like this, still it looks pretty grim to me.

edit: and dont call me mid tier foreign player, cause i'm not. thanks.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
L3gendary
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1470 Posts
December 02 2011 22:32 GMT
#22
I gotta agree with cloud. I was really disappointed how gimmicky a lot of the new units were.
Watching Jaedong play purifies my eyes. -Coach Ju Hoon
Deadlyhazard
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1177 Posts
December 02 2011 22:35 GMT
#23
sc2 is a pretty bad game in itself and I haven't respected Blizzard since TBC of WoW, so I have no doubt that HoTS will be awful too. First Blizzard game I won't purchase at launch and am doubtful if ever. We'll see.
Hark!
noxn
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
December 02 2011 22:35 GMT
#24
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.
Tabbris
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Bangladesh2839 Posts
December 02 2011 22:36 GMT
#25
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.

Too be fair he was a pretty good bw player
Skyro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1823 Posts
December 02 2011 22:44 GMT
#26
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


You really shouldn't put much stock into competitive wow. It was never meant/designed to be a competitive game, and it has never gotten close to the level of balance or skill level that SC2 has now.
noxn
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
December 02 2011 22:47 GMT
#27
On December 03 2011 07:44 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


You really shouldn't put much stock into competitive wow. It was never meant/designed to be a competitive game, and it has never gotten close to the level of balance or skill level that SC2 has now.


I think you really missed the point. I wasn't saying WoW was the epitome of skill until Blizzard screwed up. I'm saying that a game was perfectly fine until Blizzard screwed it up and the same thing could happen to SC2. Please don't turn this into a WoW vs SC2 debate... -.-
cLutZ
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19574 Posts
December 02 2011 22:58 GMT
#28
On December 03 2011 07:47 noxn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:44 Skyro wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


You really shouldn't put much stock into competitive wow. It was never meant/designed to be a competitive game, and it has never gotten close to the level of balance or skill level that SC2 has now.


I think you really missed the point. I wasn't saying WoW was the epitome of skill until Blizzard screwed up. I'm saying that a game was perfectly fine until Blizzard screwed it up and the same thing could happen to SC2. Please don't turn this into a WoW vs SC2 debate... -.-


TBC was a good exp though :p

More to the point, the opinions run the gamut from excitement to bitterness and skew a bit negative. That is to be expected because people don't like change. The pro scene is constantly kicking people to the door and it is likely that HOTS will be the coup de gras for many of those guys who were interviewed. Self-preservation is a strong driving force!

I really like the Zerg/Terran changes and dislike the Protoss changes. As a whole I also think that Zerg and Toss needed another mineral dump (and didn't get one, but zerg got some other cool things), while terran needed some more gas options and ended up getting them. Maybe hydras and pheonix could become more mineral heavy, I'm not sure.
Freeeeeeedom
SeeDLiNg
Profile Joined January 2010
United States690 Posts
December 02 2011 23:23 GMT
#29
I have to agree 100% with inControl... Excited but nervous like crazy.
VanGarde
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden755 Posts
December 02 2011 23:32 GMT
#30
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


I think you and several others are vastly missing the point, whether it is true or not that sc2 is really random and bad players can get good results by "throwing the dice" is a different question. Still one I would argue against with passion. Clouds statement puts it like he stopped playing because it is not worth it, you don't have to be good to get good results, which is just sulking when you have not gotten the results you want and saying "whatever this game is stupid, you can win stuff with random shit so I am not going to bother playing anymore". And yes your results actually do matter. If any of the very top players were to go out and say that the game is too random, I could lose to anyone because in every game I have to throw a dice then that would be a huge statement.

There is a vast difference between saying there is randomness in the game and suggesting that there is no point competing because the game is so random that anyone can win.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
S2Lunar
Profile Joined June 2011
1051 Posts
December 02 2011 23:35 GMT
#31
Cloud is just a whiner, he was just whining about how Terran requires much more skill mechanics and dedication than the other races.
petro1987
Profile Joined May 2009
Brazil374 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 23:40:53
December 02 2011 23:40 GMT
#32
On December 03 2011 08:35 Toppp wrote:
Cloud is just a whiner, he was just whining about how Terran requires much more skill mechanics and dedication than the other races.


Cloud should have sticked with Protoss it seems. He would be together with the top foreigners P now.
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 23:42:38
December 02 2011 23:40 GMT
#33
On December 03 2011 08:32 VanGarde wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


I think you and several others are vastly missing the point, whether it is true or not that sc2 is really random and bad players can get good results by "throwing the dice" is a different question. Still one I would argue against with passion. Clouds statement puts it like he stopped playing because it is not worth it, you don't have to be good to get good results, which is just sulking when you have not gotten the results you want and saying "whatever this game is stupid, you can win stuff with random shit so I am not going to bother playing anymore". And yes your results actually do matter. If any of the very top players were to go out and say that the game is too random, I could lose to anyone because in every game I have to throw a dice then that would be a huge statement.

There is a vast difference between saying there is randomness in the game and suggesting that there is no point competing because the game is so random that anyone can win.

By giving up on sc2 I just meant I gave up on my hopes for an exciting sequel of SCBW. I didn't give up playing actually I'm playing more than I ever did in the past 2 months. Still, at least from my level of competence, I can see so many worse players winning by making random moves with no logics behind it, even in big tournaments, against players who actually are overall much better and just got unlucky, didn't watch the right screen for a split second cause any aoe in the game is too strong or they simply couldn't scout what was going on so they had to take a game changing blind decision. This happened in SCBW too but to a much, much, much smaller degree, and the fact the game also required to have good mechanics and multitasking allowed the pro scene to weed out many players that couldn't get at the level of the best ones.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
Chamenas
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
96 Posts
December 02 2011 23:41 GMT
#34
Balance issues? Really? When we're at the end of the beta people can talk about balance issues, but I'm fairly certain Blizzard isn't going to release a game that isn't competitive.
eourcs
Profile Joined February 2011
United States459 Posts
December 02 2011 23:43 GMT
#35
On December 03 2011 07:36 Tabbris wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.

Too be fair he was a pretty good bw player

He's damn good at sc2 as well, he just went afk for a while with MyM slowly dyeing. After joining aTn and having his broken arm heal, he's been doing well in online cups, but I guess he has given up (dunno how old these interviews are).
Masters Terran | Strelok after losing to Kas' BCs "FUUUUUCK" *Stream Offline* | "Fuck hellions. Fuck them in the ass" IdrA
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
December 02 2011 23:44 GMT
#36
On December 03 2011 07:29 aTnClouD wrote:
Sc2 is already bad enough with all those aoe super powerful no brainer easy to use units (ghost, templar, colo, infestor). Let's add more spellcasting bs on the field so the game gets... worse. This is my opinion and I'm not being a crybaby. If you don't like it don't assume I'm just whining randomly. I'm not blaming my "lack of results" (?!?results that anyway most people who play sc2 all day would love to have) on a bad game since I know it was obviously due to the fact I never liked SC2 for the reasons I stated before so I was never able to enjoy and practice as much as many other tournament winning players. Even if the game is super gamblish and bad players can win against good ones it doesn't mean the very best players in the world are not able to put the results they deserve (and they can still lose to incomparably worse players - watch mlg orlando). Thing is they are gonna add stuff in hots that will probably be sick hard to balance with everything else already and I really wonder if there is any way for units like the oracle or the shredder to not fuck up totally the game. Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope I am just pessimistic and it won't be like this, still it looks pretty grim to me.

edit: and dont call me mid tier foreign player, cause i'm not. thanks.


Then what changes would you like to see? Blizz needs to hear some actual feedback from the Pros, not just "super gamblish" comments. Is the damage simply too high? Would SC2 benefit from a more "Warcraft 3" type gameplay, but without the spells? Would all the units in general just benefit from an HP/shield buff, so fights last much longer and give everyone a chance to micro more?

I get the sense that you're saying spells like fungal growth, psi storm, and EMP are the cause of much of the downfall of this game, and it needs to move more towards the direction of just more military might vs spell casters. Perhaps the spell casters just in general need to be more de-emphasized, but I just don't know.

That two variables at odds with each other:

- too much spellcasting (requires micro to perform)
- units are too A-move friendly (requires little to no micro to perform)

...which confounds the tightrope between how much micro should be the base minimum, to be allowed success at a high level. If these "bad players" are too successful with their strats, what would you say is the true cause? Is the game too noob friendly?

Anyways sorry that you don't enjoy the game. BW is still going strong and won't be going away anytime soon. I think if you dislike SC2, HOTS won't change your opinion.
Canada
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
December 02 2011 23:47 GMT
#37
On December 03 2011 08:44 D_K_night wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 07:29 aTnClouD wrote:
Sc2 is already bad enough with all those aoe super powerful no brainer easy to use units (ghost, templar, colo, infestor). Let's add more spellcasting bs on the field so the game gets... worse. This is my opinion and I'm not being a crybaby. If you don't like it don't assume I'm just whining randomly. I'm not blaming my "lack of results" (?!?results that anyway most people who play sc2 all day would love to have) on a bad game since I know it was obviously due to the fact I never liked SC2 for the reasons I stated before so I was never able to enjoy and practice as much as many other tournament winning players. Even if the game is super gamblish and bad players can win against good ones it doesn't mean the very best players in the world are not able to put the results they deserve (and they can still lose to incomparably worse players - watch mlg orlando). Thing is they are gonna add stuff in hots that will probably be sick hard to balance with everything else already and I really wonder if there is any way for units like the oracle or the shredder to not fuck up totally the game. Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope I am just pessimistic and it won't be like this, still it looks pretty grim to me.

edit: and dont call me mid tier foreign player, cause i'm not. thanks.


Then what changes would you like to see? Blizz needs to hear some actual feedback from the Pros, not just "super gamblish" comments. Is the damage simply too high? Would SC2 benefit from a more "Warcraft 3" type gameplay, but without the spells? Would all the units in general just benefit from an HP/shield buff, so fights last much longer and give everyone a chance to micro more?

I get the sense that you're saying spells like fungal growth, psi storm, and EMP are the cause of much of the downfall of this game, and it needs to move more towards the direction of just more military might vs spell casters. Perhaps the spell casters just in general need to be more de-emphasized, but I just don't know.

That two variables at odds with each other:

- too much spellcasting (requires micro to perform)
- units are too A-move friendly (requires little to no micro to perform)

...which confounds the tightrope between how much micro should be the base minimum, to be allowed success at a high level. If these "bad players" are too successful with their strats, what would you say is the true cause? Is the game too noob friendly?

Anyways sorry that you don't enjoy the game. BW is still going strong and won't be going away anytime soon. I think if you dislike SC2, HOTS won't change your opinion.

I think what really ruined the game is the fact units clump way too much and the smart casting system. If units were more spread through the map aoe would be less effective and they would have to balance the game around the basic units (like scbw) rather than on the big spell casting hard counter imba ones. Also fights would last more and it would allow more room for comebacks and good unit placements, and not a-moving huge ass army balls. Hots is not gonna change this so my opinion on the game will still be negative I guess.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
December 02 2011 23:52 GMT
#38
On December 03 2011 08:40 aTnClouD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 08:32 VanGarde wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:35 noxn wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:12 VanGarde wrote:
No offense to Cloud but it is getting silly how all of the mid tier foreign players are the ones who whine that the game is too random and the skill cap is too low so there is no point in competing. Unless you are beating mvp or nestea in gsl finals arguments like that are completely irrelevant when it comes to actually competing in the game. Seriously stop using how "flawed the game is" to explain away a lack of results. These kinds of comments always only come from the players who play seriously but who are never seen in the top of tournaments.


Sure, but I've seen the same thing before in other games. When someone "at the top" complains, then someone will say "if the game is so bad, then how come nestea and mvp have won so many championships? seems pretty consistent/balanced to me".

it's a bit of a catch 22.

anyway, there's nothing wrong with what cloud said. you don't have to be amongst the top 5 players in the world to have a valid opinion on the game. plus, as someone who came from wow - I can see why he's concerned. Blizzard is known for having killed the competitive aspect of WoW back in wotlk when they added all kinds of new jazz, realized how broken it was half a year later, and failed to balance it.


I think you and several others are vastly missing the point, whether it is true or not that sc2 is really random and bad players can get good results by "throwing the dice" is a different question. Still one I would argue against with passion. Clouds statement puts it like he stopped playing because it is not worth it, you don't have to be good to get good results, which is just sulking when you have not gotten the results you want and saying "whatever this game is stupid, you can win stuff with random shit so I am not going to bother playing anymore". And yes your results actually do matter. If any of the very top players were to go out and say that the game is too random, I could lose to anyone because in every game I have to throw a dice then that would be a huge statement.

There is a vast difference between saying there is randomness in the game and suggesting that there is no point competing because the game is so random that anyone can win.

By giving up on sc2 I just meant I gave up on my hopes for an exciting sequel of SCBW. I didn't give up playing actually I'm playing more than I ever did in the past 2 months. Still, at least from my level of competence, I can see so many worse players winning by making random moves with no logics behind it, even in big tournaments, against players who actually are overall much better and just got unlucky, didn't watch the right screen for a split second cause any aoe in the game is too strong or they simply couldn't scout what was going on so they had to take a game changing blind decision. This happened in SCBW too but to a much, much, much smaller degree, and the fact the game also required to have good mechanics and multitasking allowed the pro scene to weed out many players that couldn't get at the level of the best ones.


Thanks, sorry - my last post just came too late before I saw your response here. Your concern comes from

- AoE damage is just too high.

That makes sense, and does sound like a valid complaint to take back to Blizz.

I recall seeing some very nice templar/shuttle play in BW, where drone lines are devastated. Would you say that templar/infestor/ghost type units in SC2 are just too devastating for their cost? By how much would you say their AOE should be toned down(percentage-wise)?

Also a question around your "randomness" complaint. These "worse" players getting lucky due to a blind decision. Also your comment about the "couldn't scout" as well. Was this a factor in BW as well, or does SC2 simply have just too many tech paths that, if not scouted, could spell your doom just too easily?
Canada
Liamo Luo
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom10 Posts
December 02 2011 23:55 GMT
#39
Clouds a positive fella isn't he
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
December 02 2011 23:57 GMT
#40
On December 03 2011 08:47 aTnClouD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 08:44 D_K_night wrote:
On December 03 2011 07:29 aTnClouD wrote:
Sc2 is already bad enough with all those aoe super powerful no brainer easy to use units (ghost, templar, colo, infestor). Let's add more spellcasting bs on the field so the game gets... worse. This is my opinion and I'm not being a crybaby. If you don't like it don't assume I'm just whining randomly. I'm not blaming my "lack of results" (?!?results that anyway most people who play sc2 all day would love to have) on a bad game since I know it was obviously due to the fact I never liked SC2 for the reasons I stated before so I was never able to enjoy and practice as much as many other tournament winning players. Even if the game is super gamblish and bad players can win against good ones it doesn't mean the very best players in the world are not able to put the results they deserve (and they can still lose to incomparably worse players - watch mlg orlando). Thing is they are gonna add stuff in hots that will probably be sick hard to balance with everything else already and I really wonder if there is any way for units like the oracle or the shredder to not fuck up totally the game. Don't get me wrong, I obviously hope I am just pessimistic and it won't be like this, still it looks pretty grim to me.

edit: and dont call me mid tier foreign player, cause i'm not. thanks.


Then what changes would you like to see? Blizz needs to hear some actual feedback from the Pros, not just "super gamblish" comments. Is the damage simply too high? Would SC2 benefit from a more "Warcraft 3" type gameplay, but without the spells? Would all the units in general just benefit from an HP/shield buff, so fights last much longer and give everyone a chance to micro more?

I get the sense that you're saying spells like fungal growth, psi storm, and EMP are the cause of much of the downfall of this game, and it needs to move more towards the direction of just more military might vs spell casters. Perhaps the spell casters just in general need to be more de-emphasized, but I just don't know.

That two variables at odds with each other:

- too much spellcasting (requires micro to perform)
- units are too A-move friendly (requires little to no micro to perform)

...which confounds the tightrope between how much micro should be the base minimum, to be allowed success at a high level. If these "bad players" are too successful with their strats, what would you say is the true cause? Is the game too noob friendly?

Anyways sorry that you don't enjoy the game. BW is still going strong and won't be going away anytime soon. I think if you dislike SC2, HOTS won't change your opinion.

I think what really ruined the game is the fact units clump way too much and the smart casting system. If units were more spread through the map aoe would be less effective and they would have to balance the game around the basic units (like scbw) rather than on the big spell casting hard counter imba ones. Also fights would last more and it would allow more room for comebacks and good unit placements, and not a-moving huge ass army balls. Hots is not gonna change this so my opinion on the game will still be negative I guess.


I hear you. The new clump-up system that's in place. It also seems to make the armies look smaller than they are. Although I will say I don't mind the smart-cast system from Warcraft 3. It's pretty punishing to cast psi-storm from all your Templars when you wanted it to be from just one, but that is my opinion, and I am not a micro master.

What are your thoughts on the single cast abilities(snipe, feedback) or does it just fall under the umbrella of "smart casting" woes?
Canada
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 32 33 34 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
Clem vs Harstem
IndyStarCraft 248
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 248
Railgan 80
JuggernautJason60
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14960
BeSt 379
Mini 208
Soma 188
Dewaltoss 145
Mind 92
hero 63
Zeus 48
Hyun 41
ToSsGirL 26
[ Show more ]
Bale 23
Rock 21
NaDa 21
PianO 17
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
qojqva2737
420jenkins511
Counter-Strike
fl0m3821
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5055
Khaldor1219
Liquid`Hasu1044
MindelVK10
Other Games
FrodaN1715
B2W.Neo810
summit1g551
byalli453
Hui .260
QueenE72
Mew2King47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1177
BasetradeTV180
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream53
StarCraft 2
angryscii 22
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 31
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 43
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix4
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4279
League of Legends
• Nemesis1881
Other Games
• imaqtpie634
• Shiphtur282
• WagamamaTV238
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
33m
BSL Open Qualifier
33m
Replay Cast
4h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
16h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
21h 33m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.