• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:38
CEST 21:38
KST 04:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9144 users

Interview with fOrGG "The Conquerer"

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
yoonstar91
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
88 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 17:55:48
December 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#1
MSL Champion, Park “(T)fOrGG” Ji Soo the “Conquerer” has returned to Starcraft 2 as a progamer.

On September 30, 2011, team oGs has announced that the MSL Champion Pro-gamer, fOrGG has joined the team. This was 9 months after fOrGG announced that he is retired from pro-gaming.

After returning from the retirement, fOrGG was able to confidently break through the Sony Ericson GSL Season 7 Code A Qualifier and illustrate his greatness as a player. He beat (P)Sage(NSHoseo) 2:0 and also beat the Super Tournament Winner, (T)Polt (TSL), 2:0 and was continuing his dominance. Now fOrGG just has to beat (Z)July (Startale), “the God of War,” in the Round 3 to guarantee his spot at the Code S.

fOrGG who has been practicing legitimately for 2 months after returning to Starcraft 2, illustrated his confidence in himself: “If I manage to play like the way I used to before, I think I have a great potential in winning.” Furthermore he stated “Since I am now in Starcraft 2, I might as well do even better and win more than I did in Starcraft 1.”

[image loading]


It has been two months since you returned as a StarCraft 2 Pro-gamer.

Before I started practicing for the tournament, I had no clue what to do. Fortunately, because I am an experienced pro-gamer from StarCraft 1, I was able to concentrate well on my practice and learn quickly. Before I started practicing, I actually had no idea on what to do against Sage, but after some period of practice, I felt that my games were beginning to find their missing pieces. Also I have improved even more after preparing myself for the match against Polt.

Your match against Sage was quite a match.

The game flowed the way I wanted it to. In the first game, I knew that a successful 2 Barrack rush will create a huge mental impact on my opponent. Fortunately, such was the case. I was able to play comfortably after the first game.

As a previous MSL Champion, you are getting a lot of attention. Is that burdensome?

Of course, but I am not nervous because of that. I was able to prepare my self comfortably for my match against Sage.

What convinced you to move over to StarCraft 2 after retiring from StarCraft 1?

I was planning on going to the mandatory military service after retiring from the pro-gaming, but due to my braces, I was unable to enlist. After that, I got interested in Starcraft 2 and saw the great potential of Starcraft 2 from watching the GSL. I did not want people to think that I retired suddenly from Starcraft 1 just to play Starcraft 2, therefore I decided to practice hard and prove myself as a player. I really wanted to qualify for Starcraft 2 as quickly as possible, but I was not confident that I will qualify. Therefore I pondered for a really long time.

Before getting into a legit practice with StarCraft 2, you were highly ranked in the ladder.

Every time I got confident in playing Terran on the ladder, the race got nerfed and I lost my confidence. When I was thinking hard about returning to Starcraft 2, Kim “(Z)Gon” Seong Gon contacted me and tried to convince me to play Starcraft 2 professionally. After a while, I was finally convinced and decided to join oGs. Gon told me that the best way to improve was to practice inside the teamhouse, and such was the case. After Gon convinced me to join oGs, he left to enlist in the mandatory military service. I feel like I was tricked… haha

What’s the benefit of being in oGs?

The team atmosphere is very comfortable to me. When I was in Starcraft 1, my life centered around practice all the time with a tight practice schedule. But practicing in oGs team is definitely more relaxing. I guess I feel like being a human again?

A lot of people predict that top players from Starcraft 1 will do well in Starcraft 2. What do you think about?

Top players from Starcraft 1 have great potential to do well in Starcraft 2. Players who have been a pro-gamer in Starcraft 1 definitely has a different mindset. A lot of top Starcraft 1 players have great experiences with big matches, therefore they have great mind control and I think they’ll be able to learn Starcraft 2 quickly.

You are currently living with a foreign player, Jonathan “(T)Jinro” Walsh, how is that?

There’s nothing different between living with him and living with a Korean player. Also Jinro is very good at understanding Korean, therefore we never have a communication issue.

Is there a particular reason why you chose to play Terran in Starcraft 2?

I tried out Protoss, but in the end I decided to play Terran. I played Terran in Starcraft 1, therefore I believe I am most familiar with that race.

What’s the difference between the Terran from Starcraft 1 and Starcraft 2?

They’re very different. In Starcraft 2, you have to use the bionic unit very well and it was much more complicated. Therefore I was timid to play with Terran at first, but now I am confident in playing the race.

[image loading]

What’s the overall difference between the two games?

Starcraft 1 tends to have a lot of different types of diversion plays one can do. Such is not the case with Starcraft 2. I feel that Starcraft 2 is more battle based. Therefore if one loses in a big battle, it’s really hard to recover.

In Starcraft 1, a lot of people called you the “Time Attacker,” but you’re not using the timing attack as much as you used to.

I have only played legitimately for 2 months, therefore I do not fully understand the game yet. I think I’ll be able to return to my playing style from Starcraft 1 once I get some experience.

If you compare between the fOrGG when he was the MSL Champion and fOrGG now?

Back when I won the MSL, my life completely revolved around gaming. Nowadays, I have been thinking about other things outside of gaming. Therefore I am trying to get my head straight and concentrate back on gaming. I have a high expectation of my self and I am afraid that such expectation will back fire on me.

When do you think you’ll be able to reach the result you want?

I am still learning a lot while practicing the game. At this pace, I think I can continue on to the Code S and win it. For some reason, I am very confident with myself right now.

In your opinion, who’s the best Starcraft 2 player right now?

(T)MVP (IM), (Z)NesTea(IM), (P)MC (oGs), (Z)Leenock (FXO), and (Z)JookTo (oGs). Something along that line? I am actually learning a lot from watching MVP’s vod replays. Once a pro-gamer is on fire, they’re usually invincible and I feel that such is the case with MVP. MVP can probably win even without practicing with the way he’s been playing. Also, I respect and am jealous of Nestea who have won 3 times already and have been maintaining his status as a top player for a while despite his old age compared to all the other pro-gamers.

Starcraft 2, there are a lot of tournaments with a lot of prize money. You must be interested in those?
Since I am now in Starcraft 2, of course one of my main goal is to make a lot of money. I want to make more money than I did in Starcraft 1.

Do you have a desire to go to the foreign tournaments?

I saw the finals between (T)MVP (IM) and (T)MMA (SlayerS) and whoa. The fans there are ridiculously awesome! I would love to play in front of those fans. It’s been a long time since I played in front of a big audience and I would love to have that feeling again.

You were quite popular in Starcraft 1

I actually lost a lot of fans since I retired from Starcraft 1. I guess I did not take care of them enough. Once I returned as a pro-gamer with Starcraft 2, all of my fans have evaporated. Haha. I’m sure they’re all doing well, but the Conqueror has returned and please support me. I was hoping that I will at least have some fans when debuting… but NONE came and I was shocked… haha
Unfortunately I was unable to take care of my fans because of my sudden decision of retiring from pro-gaming. I am very sorry and now that I am back, please support me again!

Are there any other retired pro-gamers from Starcraft 1 that are thinking of playing Starcraft 2?

I think (T)HiyA (Hwaseung OZ) was thinking about playing Starcraft 2 professionally. But recently, I heard that he’s going to the mandatory military service. I’m not sure about the rest of the players.

Hwaseung OZ, the team you used to be in has been dispatched.

Right before the team was dispatched, I was actually over at the Hwaseung team house to hang out. When I was there, there were a lot of trainees and the atmosphere seemed happy. But it feels really weird to realize that OZ is now gone. I was very sad when Hwaseung OZ was gone.

What’s your future goal?

My current plan is to make it to Code S. GSL is the only tournament I am participating in right now therefore I will put all of my effort into the GSL.

When do you think you will be able to win once again?

If I get my game back, I think I’ll be able to even win the first season of 2012. When I was on a role in Starcraft 1, I did not even have to practice much and new builds will just appear in my head! But now, because I do not have a lot of experiences with this game, I have to study really hard in order to be able to plan a strategy. I think I’ll be able to get better in planning strategies once I practice more. Hopefully I will win by then.

[image loading]





Original Article
Original Article posted on 12/02/2011


Thanks for reading!
Translated by Kevin
Original Article by Mineral
Follow me on twitter @yoonstar91
MrHoon *
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
10183 Posts
December 02 2011 17:08 GMT
#2
nice translation! Great read it was :D
dats racist
tnud
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden2233 Posts
December 02 2011 17:09 GMT
#3
Nice translation! Always nice to hear that the BW pro's are having some difficulty with SC2 at least :O
+ Show Spoiler [Obligatory pretender video] +


- ಠ_ಠ - | disinfect wrote: AHAHHAHAHA 2DG FUCK ME ALREADY.
antilyon
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Brazil2546 Posts
December 02 2011 17:10 GMT
#4
Great interview but you mispelled the title, it should be: Interview with fOrGG "The Pretender"
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
December 02 2011 17:10 GMT
#5
Thank you for translating

You are currently living with a foreign player, Jonathan “Jinro” Walsh, how is that?

There’s nothing different between living with him and living with a Korean player. Also Jinro is very good at understanding Korean, therefore we never have a communication issue.


Oh stop..
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
XiGua
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden3085 Posts
December 02 2011 17:11 GMT
#6
fOrGG gonna show that elephant in the room to everyone. XD

Great play by him so far, really excited for more BW legends to join SC2!
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) APM, Why u make me spam?
Whiplash
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2929 Posts
December 02 2011 17:13 GMT
#7
Someone needs to convince ForGG to go back and use that name over Fin, cool article nice hearing from BW -> SC2 players.
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator. Former Starcraft commentator/player
SarcasmMonster
Profile Joined October 2011
3136 Posts
December 02 2011 17:13 GMT
#8
SC2 Terran is more complicated than SC1 Terran. Well said.

Thanks for the translation.
MMA: The true King of Wings
rafaliusz
Profile Joined December 2009
Poland482 Posts
December 02 2011 17:14 GMT
#9
Nice! Liquid fighting!
Coal
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden1535 Posts
December 02 2011 17:14 GMT
#10
Thanks for translating! Looking forward to seeing ForGG conquer GSL
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
December 02 2011 17:15 GMT
#11
On December 03 2011 02:13 SarcasmMonster wrote:
SC2 Terran is more complicated than SC1 Terran. Well said.

Thanks for the translation.

I read it as bionic being more complicated than in SC1.

Anyway, thanks for the interview! Was waiting for this.
stokes17
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1411 Posts
December 02 2011 17:15 GMT
#12
On December 03 2011 02:11 XiGua wrote:
fOrGG gonna show that elephant in the room to everyone. XD

Great play by him so far, really excited for more BW legends to join SC2!

Haha well put. Dood improved insanely fast, like KR diamond to almost code S in 2 months.... shit son
Quakie
Profile Joined October 2008
Norway725 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 17:17:40
December 02 2011 17:16 GMT
#13
The team atmosphere is very comfortable to me. When I was in Starcraft 1, my life centered around practice all the time with a tight practice schedule. But practicing in oGs team is definitely more relaxing. I guess I feel like being a human again?

Gotta say, sounds like living in a BW-prohouse is a stressful experience. This is something many others have said as well.

Thanks for translating!

Edit: Stokes17: He has been playing since january.
Caladbolg
Profile Joined March 2011
2855 Posts
December 02 2011 17:17 GMT
#14
The Conqueror is quite apt. But we all know that behind that conquering grin is a pretender waiting for the true (T)King to arrive
"I don't like the word prodigy at all. To me prodigy sounds like a person who was 'gifted' all these things rather than a person who earned all these talents by hard training... I must train harder to reach my goal." - Flash
ROOTheognis
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States4482 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-02 17:22:20
December 02 2011 17:17 GMT
#15
thanks for this!

edit: Show pics of forGG with braces so we can get some memes going pls :D
If you avoid your weakness, it will remain your weakness. www.twitter.com/#!/rootheognis Follow me!
SarcasmMonster
Profile Joined October 2011
3136 Posts
December 02 2011 17:19 GMT
#16
On December 03 2011 02:15 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 02:13 SarcasmMonster wrote:
SC2 Terran is more complicated than SC1 Terran. Well said.

Thanks for the translation.

I read it as bionic being more complicated than in SC1.

Anyway, thanks for the interview! Was waiting for this.


That's possible. The translation is a bit ambiguous.
MMA: The true King of Wings
yoonstar91
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
88 Posts
December 02 2011 17:19 GMT
#17
On December 03 2011 02:15 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 02:13 SarcasmMonster wrote:
SC2 Terran is more complicated than SC1 Terran. Well said.

Thanks for the translation.

I read it as bionic being more complicated than in SC1.

Anyway, thanks for the interview! Was waiting for this.


I think it really depends on the way you read. I think he's saying that Bionic is also more difficult to use. Therefore terran overall is more difficult in sc2. =) i think.. hehe

Thanks though. I appreciate your comment!

Thanks for reading guys!
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
December 02 2011 17:19 GMT
#18
On December 03 2011 02:15 stokes17 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 02:11 XiGua wrote:
fOrGG gonna show that elephant in the room to everyone. XD

Great play by him so far, really excited for more BW legends to join SC2!

Haha well put. Dood improved insanely fast, like KR diamond to almost code S in 2 months.... shit son

He's good, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

That Jinro question is totally random :D
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
December 02 2011 17:20 GMT
#19
On December 03 2011 02:16 Quakie wrote:
The team atmosphere is very comfortable to me. When I was in Starcraft 1, my life centered around practice all the time with a tight practice schedule. But practicing in oGs team is definitely more relaxing. I guess I feel like being a human again?

Gotta say, sounds like living in a BW-prohouse is a stressful experience. This is something many others have said as well.

Thanks for translating!

Edit: Stokes17: He has been playing since january.


It's also more proof that Starcraft 2 Koreans aren't training as hard as their Broodwar counterparts. That's why the Broodwar players do well when they switch, they still have Broodwar work ethic and training strategy which produces better results than casual practice.
Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
December 02 2011 17:20 GMT
#20
On December 03 2011 02:15 stokes17 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 03 2011 02:11 XiGua wrote:
fOrGG gonna show that elephant in the room to everyone. XD

Great play by him so far, really excited for more BW legends to join SC2!

Haha well put. Dood improved insanely fast, like KR diamond to almost code S in 2 months.... shit son

He was already in the top of the korean ladder since the start of 2011 I think, so no. Cool to see that he is rising so fast though, I could see him taking out July and going straight to Code S.
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O85
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason174
BRAT_OK 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15722
Artosis 659
Mini 249
Dewaltoss 166
ZZZero.O 85
Mind 75
Hyun 39
Bale 27
NaDa 26
Dota 2
qojqva2713
420jenkins568
League of Legends
Doublelift1124
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5987
Khaldor1319
Liquid`Hasu1042
MindelVK16
Other Games
summit1g5571
FrodaN2088
B2W.Neo801
byalli584
ToD197
Railgan43
Mew2King39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1200
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
StarCraft 2
angryscii 38
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 36
• StrangeGG 18
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• FirePhoenix6
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie911
• Shiphtur269
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 23m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 23m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 23m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.