• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:41
CEST 19:41
KST 02:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10063 users

SC2 Master League Information - Page 34

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 38 Next All
SovSov
Profile Joined September 2010
United States755 Posts
February 03 2011 10:40 GMT
#661
On February 03 2011 01:34 SDream wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2011 01:14 SovSov wrote:
Hello Excalibur, I have a couple of questions for you..

Ok, so Masters is the Top 2% of ACTIVE players. Does this mean that if those same Top 2% players stayed active then no one would be able to get into Masters unless someone gets demoted first? (I'd assume this to be true for all leagues if every player was active all the time).

Which leads me to my next question..

In theory doesn't playing ladder more (staying active) increases your chance of getting promoted? Since the Top 2% of active players in November might not be as strong as the October ones, which would mean Master League actually fluctuates in skill level depending on who is active?


Active players have to do with every league. So if the total number of active playes goes up, then slots for every league will be made. Master has 2% of (top) active players in the same sense that bronze has 20% of (bottom) active players.

Inactive players are also playing though, they can play everyday and still be inactive, so they also deserve to have a slot in some league, right? Active players will dictate the boundaries for leagues, and then inactive players just need to cross it and position there confortable so the system promotes them.

You can't ignore that the server has "total players" and that total players are made of active and inactive players. Being inactive doesn't mean that you don't play for X time, but that you have a X bonus pool, which means someone can play every single day and still be inactive cause of the huge amount of bonus pool. (if you play only 1 game every day chances are you won't spend all your bonus points, ever, they'll just accumulate at infinite, so you'll be inactive forever.)

Is that really true? Because people get promoted into Diamond (like myself) and Masters with low amounts of games played and high bonus pool.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
February 03 2011 16:20 GMT
#662
On February 03 2011 19:40 SovSov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2011 01:34 SDream wrote:
On February 03 2011 01:14 SovSov wrote:
Hello Excalibur, I have a couple of questions for you..

Ok, so Masters is the Top 2% of ACTIVE players. Does this mean that if those same Top 2% players stayed active then no one would be able to get into Masters unless someone gets demoted first? (I'd assume this to be true for all leagues if every player was active all the time).

Which leads me to my next question..

In theory doesn't playing ladder more (staying active) increases your chance of getting promoted? Since the Top 2% of active players in November might not be as strong as the October ones, which would mean Master League actually fluctuates in skill level depending on who is active?


Active players have to do with every league. So if the total number of active playes goes up, then slots for every league will be made. Master has 2% of (top) active players in the same sense that bronze has 20% of (bottom) active players.

Inactive players are also playing though, they can play everyday and still be inactive, so they also deserve to have a slot in some league, right? Active players will dictate the boundaries for leagues, and then inactive players just need to cross it and position there confortable so the system promotes them.

You can't ignore that the server has "total players" and that total players are made of active and inactive players. Being inactive doesn't mean that you don't play for X time, but that you have a X bonus pool, which means someone can play every single day and still be inactive cause of the huge amount of bonus pool. (if you play only 1 game every day chances are you won't spend all your bonus points, ever, they'll just accumulate at infinite, so you'll be inactive forever.)

Is that really true? Because people get promoted into Diamond (like myself) and Masters with low amounts of games played and high bonus pool.


That's why we think you're not considered inactive unless you fail to fulfill both of those activity requirements (not spending 90 a week and not going above X remaining bonus pool).
Moderator
BlackMesa
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Kenya338 Posts
February 03 2011 19:47 GMT
#663
I haven't laddered in a long time and yesterday I started again with a bp of 1500 and ratings of 1000. After 20 or so games, winning more than 80% of them. I was 1500 with bp of about 1250. Then I read your post saying that you can only be promoted if your bp is less than a certain value. Is this true, and will I have to play a ton of games to decrease my bp to get into Masters?
Need a Light
Predateur
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada79 Posts
February 03 2011 19:51 GMT
#664
I think i'm on the borderline (Barbu.255)

Currently #1 on my division with 2900ish points
Faced 4 masters so far and won 3 of them but I sometimes loose to 2800+ diamond so the system is probably waiting...

Good luck to you guys !
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
February 03 2011 20:07 GMT
#665
On February 04 2011 04:47 BlackMesa wrote:
I haven't laddered in a long time and yesterday I started again with a bp of 1500 and ratings of 1000. After 20 or so games, winning more than 80% of them. I was 1500 with bp of about 1250. Then I read your post saying that you can only be promoted if your bp is less than a certain value. Is this true, and will I have to play a ton of games to decrease my bp to get into Masters?


No, that is not accurate. Promotion occurs independently of your active status. You can be promoted even if you are inactive, but you are not counted among the active population. You get promoted based on the active status of your opponents.
Moderator
Deleted User 109835
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
629 Posts
February 04 2011 20:21 GMT
#666
--- Nuked ---
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
February 04 2011 20:42 GMT
#667
On February 05 2011 05:21 Vezex wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2011 04:51 Predateur wrote:
I think i'm on the borderline (Barbu.255)

Currently #1 on my division with 2900ish points
Faced 4 masters so far and won 3 of them but I sometimes loose to 2800+ diamond so the system is probably waiting...

Good luck to you guys !



in the same boat man over 3k points in diamond, about to break into the top 10 (of diamond) in NA but still no promo

been beating master league players (some favored some not)

Is it possible at some point that master league will be "full" and that people like me and Predateur would have to wait for other players to go inactive or be demoted regardless of our MMR?


Again, no. You could just get higher up than existing Master league players and get promoted once you cross that confidence threshold.
Moderator
Deleted User 109835
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
629 Posts
February 04 2011 21:19 GMT
#668
--- Nuked ---
ssregitoss
Profile Joined September 2004
Turkey241 Posts
February 04 2011 21:31 GMT
#669
me and my friend after reached 3060 elo points prompted to master leage.
escobari
Profile Joined July 2010
Finland192 Posts
February 07 2011 16:36 GMT
#670
I friggin finally got promoted, had 3,1k points. Seeing sc2ranks there are 4,6k people in master now, about the same amount as when I got promoted to diamond in the summer.... lulz. Which means I'm not getting any better and blizzard should stop adding useless leagues every ½y.
Simmtron
Profile Joined October 2010
United States47 Posts
February 07 2011 17:23 GMT
#671
I wish you could see how close you are to getting promoted. I'm sitting at ~3.1k Diamond and have been consistently beating players in Masters. I even show up as favored against some of the Masters I play.
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
February 07 2011 17:35 GMT
#672
On February 03 2011 03:13 BeMannerDuPenner wrote:
dunno if that is known but just saw this blue post(kapselus) in eu forums:


Show nested quote +
We are planning on adding a master league for 2v2, when it becomes popular in eSports. However, our developers will still discuss the possibility of opening it up earlier.


http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1622865644#13


I hope they do this! My buddy and I are top 100 world in 2v2 and we were hoping to have a spiffy star, but no... :<
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
LetoAtreides82
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1188 Posts
February 07 2011 17:49 GMT
#673
On February 08 2011 01:36 escobari wrote:
I friggin finally got promoted, had 3,1k points. Seeing sc2ranks there are 4,6k people in master now, about the same amount as when I got promoted to diamond in the summer.... lulz. Which means I'm not getting any better and blizzard should stop adding useless leagues every ½y.


Well Diamond in EU now has around 36k players, so you being in a league with under 5k players has to mean something don't you think?
The spice must flow
Twistacles
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1327 Posts
February 07 2011 18:23 GMT
#674
I'm working on getting promoted, I'll try to keep tabs every few games to help your information gathering. But so far:


2832 Diamond with 115 Bonus Pool
I've faced a total of 3 or 4 Masters I believe, in the 2400-2600 range.
My division is UED Charlie, no idea what the bias is.
"If you don't give a shit which gum you buy, get stride" - Tyler
Kwanny
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany222 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-07 18:38:04
February 07 2011 18:29 GMT
#675
I dunno if it helps, but here is some information
I got myself a second account, I had a 15 winstreak before and while being in diamond and before the patch. I had I think 44 to 16. I was already playing Diamonds while being in platin. After the patch, I won 1 game and got promoted to Masters and had 700 points, while the rest was probably bonus pool.

I would think that it is definitely about the MRR. Right now I am playing vs 2800 Masters on that account, and I played probably not more than 6 games after being promoted to Masters.

EDIT: Read through the last some posts.
I guess, the Master Leagues weren't full yet so it was quite easy to get into.
BlackMesa
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Kenya338 Posts
February 07 2011 19:03 GMT
#676
Yeah i've been playing straight masters for a while and still no promotion.
Need a Light
Simmtron
Profile Joined October 2010
United States47 Posts
February 09 2011 02:36 GMT
#677
Just got into Masters league after a 7-8 win streak against Master players. I had ~3.1k points in Diamond and now I'm at 2690ish Masters.
ChrysaliS_
Profile Joined January 2011
United States261 Posts
February 09 2011 02:54 GMT
#678
On February 08 2011 01:36 escobari wrote:
I friggin finally got promoted, had 3,1k points. Seeing sc2ranks there are 4,6k people in master now, about the same amount as when I got promoted to diamond in the summer.... lulz. Which means I'm not getting any better and blizzard should stop adding useless leagues every ½y.


Master League is far from useless.. it doesn't matter that there's still a huge gap between top of the top and low masters, the point is that now we don't have to fuss around with division modifiers. If I want to know where I stand on NA, I just hope on sc2ranks and bam, there I am, #1340 or whatever
Chrysalis.145
escobari
Profile Joined July 2010
Finland192 Posts
February 09 2011 09:44 GMT
#679
On February 09 2011 11:54 ChrysaliS_ wrote:
Master League is far from useless.. it doesn't matter that there's still a huge gap between top of the top and low masters, the point is that now we don't have to fuss around with division modifiers. If I want to know where I stand on NA, I just hope on sc2ranks and bam, there I am, #1340 or whatever


What I meant was that adding leagues to top is useless, is there going to be 40k in masters in 6months or even ~10k. Becaus in beta platinium was highest, then diamond and now master, basically blizzard is just adding leagues to "cheat" peoples egos. What I what is that people would actually drop from leagues or kicked out because inactivity.
Ballistixz
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1269 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 11:45:59
February 09 2011 11:39 GMT
#680
i know this is offtopic but i like the look of the diamond better then the star...

also i got a question about the "active/inactive" thing. does this apply to players that are active purely on ladder or active on bnet in general? like if ive been playing a ton of custom games the last few months and not laddering, but i then suddenly start to play some games would i get promoted from diamond to masters if i start having a win streak against master players? or would it take significantly longer because i was not active on ladder?

i mean i am active on benet in general from play custom games/maps... just not on ladder. only got like 1xx games under my belt on ladder. so idk if its possible to get promoted to ladder with like 200 games played even tho i have heard it happening quite often.
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 301
ProTech143
UpATreeSC 125
BRAT_OK 75
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3221
Bisu 2122
Soulkey 1062
EffOrt 521
Larva 392
Mini 379
ZerO 198
Dewaltoss 187
hero 97
Mind 77
[ Show more ]
sorry 63
Sharp 61
Shinee 48
Barracks 37
Bale 27
Trap 25
Terrorterran 21
ToSsGirL 19
NaDa 19
scan(afreeca) 14
Rock 13
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Dendi1253
XaKoH 429
420jenkins377
League of Legends
Reynor74
Counter-Strike
fl0m4321
pashabiceps846
Fnx 663
x6flipin437
edward24
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu422
Other Games
Grubby2436
Liquid`RaSZi1591
FrodaN662
XBOCT263
Livibee187
TKL 125
C9.Mang0120
QueenE87
RotterdaM41
Mew2King33
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 67
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3073
• TFBlade662
Other Games
• Shiphtur637
• WagamamaTV580
• imaqtpie361
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 19m
Patches Events
22h 19m
The PondCast
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.