• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:26
CEST 07:26
KST 14:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6328 users

How many SC2 hours/day is the most efficient? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
July 25 2010 07:50 GMT
#61
I don't know. I wouldn't treat it like you're grinding out levels in some RPG. More games = more XP lol!

I would probably treat it like I do studying for a test. There's only so much studying you can do.

So I guess... it really depends on how much you can learn out of your games. Narrowing down what you need to learn probably helps. Like not playing random; keeping track of 3 match ups instead of all 9.

But hey I'm no pro.
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
MuTT
Profile Joined July 2010
United States398 Posts
July 25 2010 07:52 GMT
#62
On July 25 2010 16:41 fyyer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2010 16:35 MuTT wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:32 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:29 Everlong wrote:
Its good to have a gf, period. If she loves you, she wont let you play like 7-8 hours a day and she will keep you in real life - good thing.


why is that good? nothing wrong with doing what you like to do. if someone stops you from doing what you love to do I think they're not good.

I love smoking, eating fast food, and drinking beer. My gf cooks for me and helps me to relax so i can quit smoking so i think shes good.


your gf helping you stop things you feel guilty of, if someone wants to play a game for 8 hours a day and someone else steps in, there's a problem.

Gotta disagree with you there. Most rational people know what the best choice is, the thing that stops them is usually their emotions, habits, and pretty much themselves. I know that if i live a healthier lifestyle, then i will lead a longer, happier life. Like in school, for example, i knew that if i did my homework first then played starcraft that it would be better, but instead i procrastinated and had to pull all-nighters making the assignments much more painful than they actually were. This is the same situation she is just helping me overcome myself. There is no doubt how i live now what better than i was then.
MC's strength: confidence weakness: over confidence
fyyer
Profile Joined February 2010
United States145 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 07:53:46
July 25 2010 07:52 GMT
#63
On July 25 2010 16:46 Everlong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2010 16:44 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:43 Everlong wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:41 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:35 MuTT wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:32 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:29 Everlong wrote:
Its good to have a gf, period. If she loves you, she wont let you play like 7-8 hours a day and she will keep you in real life - good thing.


why is that good? nothing wrong with doing what you like to do. if someone stops you from doing what you love to do I think they're not good.

I love smoking, eating fast food, and drinking beer. My gf cooks for me and helps me to relax so i can quit smoking so i think shes good.


your gf helping you stop things you feel guilty of, if someone wants to play a game for 8 hours a day and someone else steps in, there's a problem.


I think that if someone wants to play a game for 8 hours a day, there's a problem.


yeah, its society that doesnt look at gaming as legitimate. that is the problem. partying, and sitting on the couch watching tv is much more legit past time to society and thats sad.


That is why Koreans are so good actually. You are right on this one.



This type of stuff has been happening for years. Koreans dominate Starcraft like Russians dominated Chess. I remember seeing Bobby Fischer talk about how there is Chess talent everywhere out of Russia but there's no incentive or motivation to compete because players don't have the backing and support like Russia, so the good foreign players just fade away. It's EXACTLY like Starcraft in Korea. Good players everywhere, but gaming isn't really legitimate, atleast in USA. So unless people are like IdrA, and physically move to there, there is not much hope. But love for the game won't stop anyone, whether people think its legit or not.

I think you should do what you really like to do no matter what others say, as long as it doesn't hurt others.
-HellZerg-
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States409 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 07:57:36
July 25 2010 07:56 GMT
#64
I think you should do what you really like to do no matter what others say, as long as it doesn't hurt you and others and doesn't make you poor and starve in your future life.
We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
July 25 2010 07:57 GMT
#65
2 days none stop playing within a week would make you very good player. Also, quality much better than quantity since SC 2 is more of using common sense on what unit to counter what unit.
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
fyyer
Profile Joined February 2010
United States145 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 07:59:11
July 25 2010 07:58 GMT
#66
On July 25 2010 16:56 ProHellZerg wrote:
I think you should do what you really like to do no matter what others say, as long as it doesn't hurt you and doesn't make you poor and starve in your future life and not hurt others.


What is "poor"? I think if you are happy with what you do, poor or rich not matter. PS if you can't feed yourself maybe you should figure out a way to feed yourself. I don't recommend playing SC until you die of starvation, you need to eat so you can play SC forever! :D
Everlong
Profile Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1973 Posts
July 25 2010 08:00 GMT
#67
On July 25 2010 16:52 fyyer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2010 16:46 Everlong wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:44 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:43 Everlong wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:41 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:35 MuTT wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:32 fyyer wrote:
On July 25 2010 16:29 Everlong wrote:
Its good to have a gf, period. If she loves you, she wont let you play like 7-8 hours a day and she will keep you in real life - good thing.


why is that good? nothing wrong with doing what you like to do. if someone stops you from doing what you love to do I think they're not good.

I love smoking, eating fast food, and drinking beer. My gf cooks for me and helps me to relax so i can quit smoking so i think shes good.


your gf helping you stop things you feel guilty of, if someone wants to play a game for 8 hours a day and someone else steps in, there's a problem.


I think that if someone wants to play a game for 8 hours a day, there's a problem.


yeah, its society that doesnt look at gaming as legitimate. that is the problem. partying, and sitting on the couch watching tv is much more legit past time to society and thats sad.


That is why Koreans are so good actually. You are right on this one.



This type of stuff has been happening for years. Koreans dominate Starcraft like Russians dominated Chess. I remember seeing Bobby Fischer talk about how there is Chess talent everywhere out of Russia but there's no incentive or motivation to compete because players don't have the backing and support like Russia, so the good foreign players just fade away. It's EXACTLY like Starcraft in Korea. Good players everywhere, but gaming isn't really legitimate, atleast in USA. So unless people are like IdrA, and physically move to there, there is not much hope. But love for the game won't stop anyone, whether people think its legit or not.

I think you should do what you really like to do no matter what others say, as long as it doesn't hurt others.


That is right, but doing what you love to do as long as it doesnt hurt others is kinda automatic. Doing what you love as long as it doesnt hurt you is a bit tricky. And there you have gf and people that will help you..
Aldair
Profile Joined May 2010
United States78 Posts
July 25 2010 08:00 GMT
#68
Poor is not being able to pay bills and feed yourself.

If you can be happy smelling of urine, I'll take your cash and even point you to a nice street corner with a heating grate.
yema1
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland101 Posts
July 25 2010 08:00 GMT
#69
School from 8 - 15:00 (grammar school)
Back home at 15:30
Study and eat till 17:00

17 - 22:00 could be SC time :D
Dont tread on me
-HellZerg-
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States409 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 08:03:20
July 25 2010 08:01 GMT
#70
As long as SC2 is not one's sole full-time job until one is like 65 years old, playing SC2 competitively is okay.
We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Stimpk
Profile Joined July 2010
France165 Posts
July 25 2010 08:02 GMT
#71
I played between 1 and 2 hours a day during the beta and reached diamond league although I never played broodwar. It is sufficient for me, I can't stand staying in front of the computer screen more than a few hours.
I know it's hard to reach good level with this amount of hours, but always playing at 100% makes it really efficient.
darklordjac
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada2231 Posts
July 25 2010 08:02 GMT
#72
The more the better, I guess.
TriniMasta
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1323 Posts
July 25 2010 08:02 GMT
#73
Most people have a life to live and don't play the game over 7 hours at most... (or lower if you have school/job, but it's summer for me)
I play 3-5 during the summer.
정명훈 FIGHTING!!! Play both T and P.
fyyer
Profile Joined February 2010
United States145 Posts
July 25 2010 08:03 GMT
#74
On July 25 2010 17:00 Aldair wrote:
Poor is not being able to pay bills and feed yourself.

If you can be happy smelling of urine, I'll take your cash and even point you to a nice street corner with a heating grate.



I see, must be just play with words. I think not being able to feed yourself or pay bills is poverty, way worse than poor. Poor just means you don't have money to always spend having fun or get to have latest gadgets, this is where a gaming habits come in and are really good because its' alot cheaper than other things.
-HellZerg-
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States409 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 08:17:18
July 25 2010 08:05 GMT
#75
Yeah but fyyer, you can't expect someone to be a SC2 pro-gamer and have a decent, stable financial income for over 5 years or longer. Do you expect that person to win the first place at every big prized SC2 tournament over the world every time? Hell no. How will that player play when he is over 35 years old, or even 50 years old? He won't play so well compared to new upcoming generations of Sc2 pro-gamers in the future since aging does in fact slow one's reflexes and body.
We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
MuTT
Profile Joined July 2010
United States398 Posts
July 25 2010 08:06 GMT
#76
I don't know why people keep talking about if you train correctly you don't need to spend many hours playing... In order to be a successful pro gamer you need to be able to beat other pro gamers. And because in this game top players have enough time and are willing to playing in pretty much every tournament with a decent prize pool you are going to have to one of the best to make a decent amount of money. The pros know how to practice AND they are willing to spend 10+ hours today. Unless you are super godly at this game (and if you were you wouldn't be reading this) then you can play less. The major components to this game are experience and mechanics. I don't think IdrA's/korean routine is bad at all for sc because it covers these two topics very well. For mechanics you need muscle memory which translates into a lot of gaming hours. And because of the nature of the game where you plan before you play instead of during the game is run by experience. Experience means running into strats and knowing how to deal with them all - which again is alot of games. The other part is Perfecting your builds which also requires alot of games. Just approach your decisions logically and stick with that decision and ignore your gut feelings; because your gut is actually controlled by the 'stupid' part of your brain.

Also doing what you like isn't a good way to go about life. You have to strike a balance and choose the best decision from what you do know. If i were to do only what i wanted to i would be homeless because i would never work.
MC's strength: confidence weakness: over confidence
Everlong
Profile Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1973 Posts
July 25 2010 08:06 GMT
#77
On July 25 2010 17:03 fyyer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2010 17:00 Aldair wrote:
Poor is not being able to pay bills and feed yourself.

If you can be happy smelling of urine, I'll take your cash and even point you to a nice street corner with a heating grate.



I see, must be just play with words. I think not being able to feed yourself or pay bills is poverty, way worse than poor. Poor just means you don't have money to always spend having fun or get to have latest gadgets, this is where a gaming habits come in and are really good because its' alot cheaper than other things.


But other things are way more satisfying than 7-8 hours of SC2 per day.. :-)
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
July 25 2010 08:08 GMT
#78
For a new player entering the scene you really need to play the 12+ hours Idra talks about. Whitera has been around for a very long time and mechanics from SC1 switched over very nicely to SC2. While HuK practices 10 hours a day, he really is not one of the tip top players but is a very skilled player none the less. He can win games against good players but that does not mean he can stand toe to toe in a bo100 with tester.Really you must practice, especially if you are new to the scene.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
Zinbiel
Profile Joined October 2008
Sweden878 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-25 08:12:05
July 25 2010 08:10 GMT
#79
On July 25 2010 16:27 Piski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2010 15:12 T.O.P. wrote:
On July 25 2010 15:05 Piski wrote:
I would say quality over quantity. Use your time well, actually learn something from your games rather than just grind through them and I guess 5h a days is plenty. You won't be A+ Korean but you will manage

Of course not. You'll always be better if you practice more.

I found this quote while reading the source link from this thread
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=137872

You think you can get as much done in 40 hours as a synthetic organic chemist versus someone who works 80? Bullshit. Don’t believe me? I’ll reassign my graduate student Suk Deep Lee to your molecule. He’s going to work on an alternative route. Don’t talk to me until you’ve made the molecule. Let’s see who makes the most progress, shall we?

Exactly. You’ll fall in line like everyone else.

That's why korean pros are better than foreigners, they just practice so much more.


I completely agree I believe that hard work always pays off. I just got from his post that he isn't intending to compete with the koreans but just wanted to be very good.
That's why I said that playing 5h every day will be enough, comparing that say for White-Ra who says he can play over 8h one day and not play the next two days.

I disagree. The example is not relevant since "getting more work done" in organic chemistry is more likely to translate into more games played than skill. Don't get me wrong, of course a lot of practice is needed. In fact, I would wager that if one wants to be the very best it is important to try to play like 10-12 hours a day. Why? Because being able to effectively practice for that long takes practice. I'm an amateur violinist but when I went to a music college I couldn't just start practice 8 hours a day and think it would be beneficial. But after a couple of months gradually increasing the workload I could.

However to try to go from 4 to 10 hours is not going to work out well, because of how our muscle-memory (at least mine) works. YOU NEED TO NOT DO MISTAKES. Rather play 2 hours with minimal mistakes due to really high concentration than play for 3 hours where the last hour is sloppy as hell. Or you will learn doing these mistakes, and keep doing them subconciously.

The study replay part of training can probably be almost as long as you want though, there is most definately diminishing returns the more you do, but at least it is probably not detrimental to your skill.

In short, I would think that the most effective way of practicing to be the best would be to have about 10-12 hours of total SC time a day, and one might start out with 4 x 1 hour mechanical practice (as in playing games) with breaks in between, and the rest for analyzing the game and watching replays. As time goes by increase the amount of mechanical practice as you feel you can without starting to do too many mistakes.

Edit: Meh, I wasted my 666:th post on this -.-
Backho fan since 080416. Favourite terran: Mind. Favourite Zerg: Jaedong.
Ploppytheman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States248 Posts
July 25 2010 08:12 GMT
#80
Taking a small break from my 15 page report on robbery... yeh I like SC2 and all but I also like lifting weights. I genuinely enjoy spending 6hrs in the gym and getting stronger. It makes me stronger, faster, more attractive, and its good for my health, and you get respect. If I look at SC2 I don't really see it gaining me anything. Girls don't give a crap and it really doesn't do anything for you in your life. I hope gaming becomes more popular in the US to the point where gaming can be a good skill toi have but atm its just not. I still plan on spending several hours a week on SC and it will be my primary hobby (especially since there is no gym where I live) but I see it falling away. I wish there was more time to do more things but there isn't.

This is why video games are not as popular b/c its a waste of time literally with almost no pay-off, and even when there is pay-off like in Korea its a very small amount of people making money. If I lift weights, and I don't even have to compete or try to be the best or anything like that, I get lots of payoff from it. If there was a following like in poker and games were on money then it would be worth it, but its not. I love video games and SC especially but I'd rather have a wife and money for decent living. Speaking of that I need to get back to my report so I can actually play SC like a madman on release... next two days will be hell but I get to play SC all day mon-tues at least :D
youtube.com/ploppytheman for GAIMEZ!!!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 112
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2141
GuemChi 679
Snow 139
Leta 128
Terrorterran 57
Bale 34
Noble 14
Icarus 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
febbydoto20
League of Legends
JimRising 621
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King209
Other Games
summit1g7139
WinterStarcraft356
C9.Mang0282
Sick142
ViBE84
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick551
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2158
League of Legends
• Lourlo1260
• Stunt442
Other Games
• Shiphtur482
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 34m
Patches Events
10h 34m
The PondCast
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 16h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.