• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:00
CEST 11:00
KST 18:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8018 users

[Q] Build Worker or Split?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
jaerak
Profile Joined January 2010
United States124 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 04:17:28
May 17 2010 04:06 GMT
#1
This is sort of a noobie question, but I was wondering which is economically better when the game starts: sending your workers to mine first (assume a perfect split) or to queue your first worker before you split. I know in sc1, you were supposed to always queue the worker first, but with new split AI, mining AI, and harvesting time, and initial worker count, what is the experimentally supported answer?

EDIT: Another factor to consider may be the fact that splitting easier and thus requires less time in sc2 than required in sc1 (Part of split AI)
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
May 17 2010 04:09 GMT
#2
I always queue a worker then do a 3/3 split and macro on happily.
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
Kow
Profile Joined May 2010
United States32 Posts
May 17 2010 04:09 GMT
#3
Usually what I aim to do is to send the workers in one fell swoop to a node, queue a worker and before the workers get to the mineral line, send half to a different node (ideally 2-3 away from the one I chose).

But lag usually screws me up. I don't know why it always lags for like .5s at the beginning of the game and then the rest is fine. I'd rather just have that extra .5s loading, though I'm sure that's not the problem xD


I don't know what is the most efficient though.
Iri
Profile Joined January 2010
150 Posts
May 17 2010 04:10 GMT
#4
Build a worker and send all six to one patch is fastest as far as I can tell... starts the build immediately and if workers are sent to right patch they'll bring in 50 mins before you have to build your next. Different for zerg, obviously, but for T/P anyway.
Opportunities multiply as they are seized. -Sun Tzu
lu_cid
Profile Joined April 2008
United States428 Posts
May 17 2010 04:12 GMT
#5
You should start your worker first.
Jugan
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1566 Posts
May 17 2010 04:13 GMT
#6
I build a worker then do a 3/3 split....
Unless I mess something up, then it's disastrous! It usually works out for me pretty well
Even a Savior couldn't fix all problems. www.twitch.tv/xJugan
RAUS
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
210 Posts
May 17 2010 04:13 GMT
#7
you're talking about .05 of a second here, and you can get 50 minerals before your scv finishes, so honestly, splitting well only puts you ahead by a tiny fraction of a second.

someone should make a joke about splitting hairs.

its up to preference and it doesn't matter.
recognize me?
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 04:18:02
May 17 2010 04:17 GMT
#8
On May 17 2010 13:13 derpaderp wrote:
you're talking about .05 of a second here, and you can get 50 minerals before your scv finishes, so honestly, splitting well only puts you ahead by a tiny fraction of a second.

someone should make a joke about splitting hairs.

its up to preference and it doesn't matter.


What if Day[9] casts you in a replay and omg you will look like a noob and be made fun of forever!

>.>

But yeah, its such a tiny tiny detail.
I try to do my best with the ole send workers, build, split workers before they mine thing because its a pretend mental mini-game I play but I don't stress it.
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
roemy
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany432 Posts
May 17 2010 04:19 GMT
#9
On May 17 2010 13:09 captainwaffles wrote:
I always queue a worker then do a 3/3 split and macro on happily.

this, but i do a 4/2 split
rock is fine.. paper could need a buff, but scissors have to be nerfed
Raelcun
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States3747 Posts
May 17 2010 04:20 GMT
#10
F1 split is where it's at imo, select hatch SD, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click. Tiny differences but the F1 split looks gosu when people watch you do it.
ReketSomething
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6012 Posts
May 17 2010 04:24 GMT
#11
I once asked a wise man...(qxc) if he normally goes 3 => 3 split rather than a 6 => 3 split.

He told me....that it doesn't make a bit of difference because none of this will be so important that you will lose a game over and to not worry about it. So work on other things first! =D
Jaedong :3
Xiphiasar
Profile Joined April 2010
United States78 Posts
May 17 2010 04:26 GMT
#12
i always queue first. I figure i'll be building workers constantly for a while, so the faster I start the faster i'll have more workers. That's not supported by any evidence though.

I wonder what the most efficient way to do it is?
lu_cid
Profile Joined April 2008
United States428 Posts
May 17 2010 04:29 GMT
#13
Building the worker first is obviously more efficient since you should be able to queue the second worker before the first is finished anyway. That is of course if you get a good split. I find that I almost always have my second worker in queue before the first is done. Therefore you will have more workers faster.
Anxiety
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States650 Posts
May 17 2010 04:34 GMT
#14
LOL in BW i screwed up a split so badly... I clicked on the mineral patch instead of an SCV and i was like WTF IS WRONG.
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
May 17 2010 04:38 GMT
#15
Build your worker first

but this really isn't big enough of a deal to ever affect your games. At the very highest level of brood war this might make a difference but no one is even close to that level at sc2 yet
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
Hyperion2010
Profile Joined April 2010
United States122 Posts
May 17 2010 04:56 GMT
#16
On May 17 2010 13:20 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
F1 split is where it's at imo, select hatch SD, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click. Tiny differences but the F1 split looks gosu when people watch you do it.


lol, I wonder how many sc1 players forgot about the hot new tech of the idle worker button (I know i did)
My waifu for aiur!
Jintetsu
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden152 Posts
May 17 2010 04:57 GMT
#17
allways que up worker then split, did that in bw, wc3 and in sc2
http://www.alien-invasion.eu
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
May 17 2010 04:59 GMT
#18
jus make unit then split.
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
johnnybrav0
Profile Joined March 2010
United States61 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-17 05:15:38
May 17 2010 05:12 GMT
#19
On May 17 2010 13:20 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
F1 split is where it's at imo, select hatch SD, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click. Tiny differences but the F1 split looks gosu when people watch you do it.

Nice, I'll have to try that just so I can look cool. I never even realized the initial workers were "idle" but I mean its pretty obvious now that you mention it.

A side question on something I've never tried but it seems like it would definitely work the best: does anyone hit "Backspace" + "E" (for Protoss) for the initial probe? I always click the Nexus but it seems like hitting Backspace would be the fastest way to do it.
Exteray
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1094 Posts
May 17 2010 05:19 GMT
#20
On May 17 2010 14:12 johnnybrav0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2010 13:20 iCCup.Raelcun wrote:
F1 split is where it's at imo, select hatch SD, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click, F1 Click. Tiny differences but the F1 split looks gosu when people watch you do it.

Nice, I'll have to try that just so I can look cool. I never even realized the initial workers were "idle" but I mean its pretty obvious now that you mention it.

A side question on something I've never tried but it seems like it would definitely work the best: does anyone hit "Backspace" + "E" (for Protoss) for the initial probe? I always click the Nexus but it seems like hitting Backspace would be the fastest way to do it.


But then you'd have to move your right hand to the mouse and select all the workers. It would be slower overall I think
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1162
Hyun 528
GuemChi 438
firebathero 412
BeSt 357
Hyuk 236
Soma 181
Mong 141
Shine 76
PianO 69
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 65
910 49
sSak 45
Jaedong 34
ZergMaN 28
Shinee 24
Bale 23
yabsab 19
HiyA 18
Noble 13
Sharp 6
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss997
olofmeister814
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King292
Other Games
gofns11062
summit1g8360
ceh9646
JimRising 428
KnowMe145
Pyrionflax56
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick453
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos863
• Stunt412
Other Games
• Shiphtur445
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h
Patches Events
7h
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.