• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:08
CEST 03:08
KST 10:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8295 users

Protoss Identity in SC2: Power and Cost - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Series7
Profile Joined April 2011
United States12 Posts
October 10 2012 22:06 GMT
#41
Wonderful post, and while I feel like some of these changes go too far, I love the general direction of your thought.

The stalker change in particular makes a lot of sense.
Tao367
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom324 Posts
October 10 2012 22:10 GMT
#42
I'm honestly not sure what to think. On the one hand, my heart says warp gates are an amazing utility and a major part of the reason I play protoss. The strategy potential is amazing if implemented right and is absolutely required to make them an interesting mechanic.

On the other hand, my head says getting warp gates as early as they currently are (t1) provides balance issues and promotes deathballs because t1 units have to be weak and t3 units have to be as good as tier 3 units, AND pick up the slack from the bad t1 units. I think making Warp Gates t2 would be the best solution, it gives gateway units viability in the early game to be more powerful, and therefore colossus/ht can get nerfed slightly as well.

Also, because I love the Warp Gate mechanic so much, I have wondered why only gateway units can be warped in via warp gates. It would obviously have to be balanced, but imagine warping in a colossus on the field of a carrier. That would be the single most epic aesthetic effect in sc2, and it would feel very protoss - warping in massive war machines with their extremely developed technology is something I could imagine fitting in. Another problem is because colossus die very easily to corruptors/vikings, if you don't have enough to do enough damage before they die you've lost because the gateway units that are left are just not good enough. There are really interesting dynamics about the protoss race that warrant a redesign, but not completely. Warp gate should stay. But not as t1. Warp gate should also affect every production building (even make it t3).

I will be watching this discussion closely though I think.
SarcasmMonster
Profile Joined October 2011
3136 Posts
October 10 2012 22:15 GMT
#43
On October 11 2012 06:34 v3chr0 wrote:
"Rock, Developer" -
+ Show Spoiler +
Thanks for the post! There is a lot of good detailed feedback here. I don't agree with everything but it's a great discussion. For example I don't believe that "Gateway units are weak because of warp-in." I do agree that Sentry is core to Gateway and that Gateway units are balanced around the use of Sentry. What makes this worse is that Sentries are hard to use. Guardian Shield isn't too difficult to manage, but Force Fields can be very difficult to use correctly. We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him.

I think that Gateway units can be very, very deadly. It's just a matter of when. Stalkers with blink are very powerful and Zealots with charge are very dangerous as well (even against Stim Terrans). But when I fight with my Gateway units against most Terran players I don't yet have these upgrades.

I believe that most Protoss players (myself included) feel the need to go Robotics first to scout and to avoid cloaked threats. If we give the Mothership Core someway to detect cloaked units Protoss players should be able to open Twilight Council and upgrade their Gateway units very quickly. This might reduce the Terran stim timing attacks and make it less required for Protoss to go Robo or Templar tech as fast as possible to avoid being crushed by an infantry timing.

Though with Widow Mine in the picture I'm not sure how that will change things. Since that is another cloak threat.

We will be looking some at the Void Ray soonish. I don't know what if anything we will decide to do with him but your feedback on this unit has certainly been heard.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.


Well, there is the first blue response!

FAITH HATH BEEN RESTORED!


I dunno... I really dislike his his answer

For example I don't believe that "Gateway units are weak because of warp-in."


This line hurts the most
MMA: The true King of Wings
Ljas
Profile Joined July 2012
Finland725 Posts
October 10 2012 22:21 GMT
#44
I feel like he didn't really talk about anything in the OP.
Ramone
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada85 Posts
October 10 2012 22:26 GMT
#45
heh, I like how "Rock" would like to make sentries easier to use

I'm pretty bad at this game and I still find them fairly simple...more range might be nice to be of use in countering stim-stutter step retreat.
Living the dream
Kryt0s
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany209 Posts
October 10 2012 22:31 GMT
#46
This is such a good post and so true. Gateway Units are just too weak without sentry for their cost.
bole
Profile Joined January 2011
Serbia164 Posts
October 10 2012 22:38 GMT
#47
Sentries are not hard to use.. lol ? I don't know how he concluded that ? Main problem with protoss is that they relied on force fields so much...

And it's so boring mechanic to use and to watch from E sport perspective of watching game that one player can control army of other that is so ridiculous...Its not good for game and E sport...

Dont make force fields easier to use remove them completely from the game its so boring to watch and to play its not good for the game...fungal have same problem...REMOVE FORCE FIELDS !!! make sentries regenerate shields or something...

thx for reading
archon256
Profile Joined August 2010
United States363 Posts
October 10 2012 22:45 GMT
#48
These are great ideas, but this late into the lifetime of the game I simply don't see them happening
"The troupe is ready, the stage is set. I come to dance, the dance of death"
WickedBit
Profile Joined August 2010
United States343 Posts
October 10 2012 22:54 GMT
#49
Wonderful ideas. I love most of your suggestions especially the ones regarding sentry and warpgates.
Making immortal a slightly stronger dragoon is also a really good idea. Also an anti light stalker might just solve blink stalker allins since they won't be able to overwhelm tanks,roaches or other armoured units so easily anymore due to decreased damage vs them.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 22:57:49
October 10 2012 22:55 GMT
#50
I am pretty certain that I don't fear BW Zealots with my Cracklings or Dragoons. Yet i don't want to send Cracklings into Zealots in SC2. Also don't forget that the t2 upgrades for Protoss t1 are extremely potent compared to the other races, excluding stim. But we had that for the Zealot already. I mean Zealots and Dragoons ... try to fight speed Hydras without the reaver/psy if you forgot the speed upgrade for Zealots.
It is also fairly interesting that you ignored the attack speed of the units, as leaving them out really supports your arguments. A Zealot attacks every 1.2 seconds and a Roach every 2 seconds.
That being said a roach is easy to mass because of the 3:1 cost that fits perfectly with base income.

You also shouldn't forget about the shields. In BW your army didn't regained alot of "health" after each battle. And now if you micro well you end up regenerating shields even in battle.

I think Protoss didn't changed their Identity and only added their dark side to it.

Anyway the suggestions were really fun to read, just like the arguments leading there. Especially after a long ZvP, atleast now I know that Zealots and Goons don't protect the Reavers and Templars, but are the actual problems for Zerg t1 units. (ya I know what Goons really are supposed to do against Zerg)
Morton
Profile Joined July 2012
United States152 Posts
October 10 2012 22:57 GMT
#51
The positive response to this is very telling.

very well written and amazingly thought out thread!

One thing I would ask is whether some custom mapmaker out there would be so kind as to make a custom with these changes for toss? I would love to see some replays of how these changes played out.

again, very nice!
Paladia
Profile Joined August 2003
802 Posts
October 10 2012 22:59 GMT
#52
This makes a lot of sense, most impressive.
I can no longer rest under the tree of wisdom, since you have axed down the roots feeding it.
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 23:12:19
October 10 2012 23:08 GMT
#53
Rocks answer:
We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him

HAHHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
This game is doomed.gg
Cackle™
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
October 10 2012 23:20 GMT
#54
Most of this looks pretty good. I think a few of the numbers could use some tweaking, but the overall idea is pretty solid.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
v3chr0
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States856 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 23:44:15
October 10 2012 23:28 GMT
#55
On October 11 2012 07:15 SarcasmMonster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2012 06:34 v3chr0 wrote:
"Rock, Developer" -
+ Show Spoiler +
Thanks for the post! There is a lot of good detailed feedback here. I don't agree with everything but it's a great discussion. For example I don't believe that "Gateway units are weak because of warp-in." I do agree that Sentry is core to Gateway and that Gateway units are balanced around the use of Sentry. What makes this worse is that Sentries are hard to use. Guardian Shield isn't too difficult to manage, but Force Fields can be very difficult to use correctly. We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him.

I think that Gateway units can be very, very deadly. It's just a matter of when. Stalkers with blink are very powerful and Zealots with charge are very dangerous as well (even against Stim Terrans). But when I fight with my Gateway units against most Terran players I don't yet have these upgrades.

I believe that most Protoss players (myself included) feel the need to go Robotics first to scout and to avoid cloaked threats. If we give the Mothership Core someway to detect cloaked units Protoss players should be able to open Twilight Council and upgrade their Gateway units very quickly. This might reduce the Terran stim timing attacks and make it less required for Protoss to go Robo or Templar tech as fast as possible to avoid being crushed by an infantry timing.

Though with Widow Mine in the picture I'm not sure how that will change things. Since that is another cloak threat.

We will be looking some at the Void Ray soonish. I don't know what if anything we will decide to do with him but your feedback on this unit has certainly been heard.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.


Well, there is the first blue response!

FAITH HATH BEEN RESTORED!


I dunno... I really dislike his his answer

Show nested quote +
For example I don't believe that "Gateway units are weak because of warp-in."


This line hurts the most


I feel the same. Gateway units were also toned down because of the sentry, but they definitely were also effected by the Warp Gate mechanic, something had to give and it was the units stats. I can see his point, because it is true, but I think it's only half the reason.

The faith being restored part is about him seeing the thread in general, his answer wasn't the most promising but at least he read it. I am glad however, that he at least admits/agrees the void ray needs a looking at. Let's hope he took more into consideration... because quite frankly none of these changes are extremely drastic, nothing is really being removed; just stat changes.

edit:
On October 11 2012 08:08 TheKefka wrote:
Rocks answer:
Show nested quote +
We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him

HAHHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
This game is doomed.gg


He could mean that they are removing forcefield/making it weaker, or giving it something else that is easier to use but less effective. Could go both ways, I'm hoping that's the case anyway.

edit2: ^ nvm. lol
"He catches him with his pants down, backs him off into a corner, and then it's over." - Khaldor
IMLyte
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada714 Posts
October 10 2012 23:37 GMT
#56
I love your thought process behind your suggestions. Protoss does feel quite awkward and lost in Sc2 right now as a race and needs the "Strong but Expensive" feel back from bw. The change i find most interesting is the Immortal -> Gateway and Sentry -> Robo, I feel like a change like this will really diversify Protoss play and as you said decrease the insane focus 'forcefield' has on the game. Literally ff is the most used/relied/gamechanging spell in the game. Awesome post btw!
I'ma show you how great I am ~ Muhammed Ali
rUiNati0n
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1155 Posts
October 10 2012 23:40 GMT
#57
On October 11 2012 08:08 TheKefka wrote:
Rocks answer:
Show nested quote +
We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him

HAHHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
This game is doomed.gg

Man... I wanna have faith in blizzard, but its just so hard.
eating corn while thinking about eating more corn
SarcasmMonster
Profile Joined October 2011
3136 Posts
October 10 2012 23:42 GMT
#58
Just to clarify, we don't mean we're changing Force Fields in any way. We love how the ability works.

What we are thinking currently for the Sentry is what if Hallucination didn't require an upgrade?

This might be good because:

1. Scouting is more important in HotS due to the added new threats.
2. Protoss has a lot of trouble vs. early Widow Mines. (Hallucinations can be a soft counter until detection is ready)
3. Players who aren't able to utilize Force Fields well will be able to use the more expensive Hallucinations to combo with their army.

Please remember all this isn't final decisions, but we're just trying to be as open about our thoughts as possible. Thanks~


-David Kim

Phew! Bullet dodged.
MMA: The true King of Wings
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
October 10 2012 23:47 GMT
#59
Hallucination being free of research time helps, but doesn't fix the problem. Sentries are expensive, and the energy cost on hallucination is pretty damn high. You can't afford to use it to scout as soon as you hit 100 energy, because if you spot an attack coming, you won't have the forcefield energy to actually defend it. You need at least 3-4 sentries out before you can really afford the energy costs to use hallucination at all, and that's a lot of gas. In PvZ that's not that hard to justify, because you can defend super early aggression with wall-offs and cannons, and the lack of long range units early game means forcefields are very powerful. But in PvT, you just plain can't afford it, you absolutely have to start teching ASAP in order to hold stim timings. You simply cannot defeat stim marine/maruaders with medivac support unless you have AoE, and sentries cost so much gas that getting enough to hold super early pressure AND be able to afford the energy cost of hallucination will seriously delay that tech.

It seems that their supposed solution to Protoss fragility is to make Protoss more fragile.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
unteqair
Profile Joined November 2011
United States308 Posts
October 10 2012 23:48 GMT
#60
Thanks for the post! There is a lot of good detailed feedback here. I don't agree with everything but it's a great discussion. For example I don't believe that "Gateway units are weak because of warp-in." I do agree that Sentry is core to Gateway and that Gateway units are balanced around the use of Sentry. What makes this worse is that Sentries are hard to use. Guardian Shield isn't too difficult to manage, but Force Fields can be very difficult to use correctly. We are talking about ways to make the Sentry easier to use so more Protoss players can get value out of him.

I think that Gateway units can be very, very deadly. It's just a matter of when. Stalkers with blink are very powerful and Zealots with charge are very dangerous as well (even against Stim Terrans). But when I fight with my Gateway units against most Terran players I don't yet have these upgrades.

I believe that most Protoss players (myself included) feel the need to go Robotics first to scout and to avoid cloaked threats. If we give the Mothership Core someway to detect cloaked units Protoss players should be able to open Twilight Council and upgrade their Gateway units very quickly. This might reduce the Terran stim timing attacks and make it less required for Protoss to go Robo or Templar tech as fast as possible to avoid being crushed by an infantry timing.

Though with Widow Mine in the picture I'm not sure how that will change things. Since that is another cloak threat.

We will be looking some at the Void Ray soonish. I don't know what if anything we will decide to do with him but your feedback on this unit has certainly been heard.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.


That reveals a lot. I'm not so sure about all of that, but we'll see. I think that Protoss would be more fun to watch if it were less Stalker-heavy, so I like the idea of making Stargate units like the Void Ray and Phoenix stronger.

FF's are not fun to watch. Stalker balls are not fun to watch. I wish he'd step away from these and add powerful combat units to the Robotics Facility and Stargate.

The Widow Mine is the kind of unit the Protoss should have; it would help tremendously to break up their balls and to lessen the turtling.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft420
CranKy Ducklings27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft420
CosmosSc2 64
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2141
Artosis 647
910 40
Dota 2
monkeys_forever597
Counter-Strike
taco 49
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox568
Other Games
summit1g8578
JimRising 605
C9.Mang0310
Maynarde141
ViBE127
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1017
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream133
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
9h 52m
Stellar Fest
11h 52m
The PondCast
1d 8h
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
OSC
1d 22h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.