• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:09
CEST 22:09
KST 05:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7966 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 117

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 173 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2014 14:47 GMT
#2321
Never tried to do a pistol before I could squat over double bodyweight and now I easily do pistols on both sides :D I imagine mobility and shit plays a big part though.

Let me know how it goes gotunk! no particular questions, curious to if he's going to start training seriously for rio 2016 (as most high level lifters aiming for this are) and when. Also, ask him who would win if maligov, apti, and okulov got in a fight, who would win?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
August 14 2014 16:17 GMT
#2322
On August 14 2014 23:27 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2014 23:18 Najda wrote:
On August 14 2014 23:04 GoTuNk! wrote:
On August 14 2014 22:17 Najda wrote:
On August 14 2014 20:38 zatic wrote:
Why can I do a handstand pushup (without holding the top position) but not a bodyweight OHP? Doesn't make sense to me. Is it because I am likely not pushing straight up because I almost immediately fall over from the top position in the handstand pushup?


The confusion, and subsequent discrepancy in these overhead pressing strength ratios, usually arises from comparing what are essentially as different as apples and oranges. Non-gymnasts have a tendency to confuse headstand pushups (HeSPUs) with handstand pushups (HSPUs). HeSPUs are the popular partial ROM movement where the body only lowers until the top of the head contacts the ground. These are several orders of magnitude easier than true HSPUs. As an illustration, consider the difference in difficulty between a military press where the weight never goes below the top of the head and a military press where the weight descends to the collar bones.

HeSPUs are an essential step in the process of developing HSPU strength, however it should be recognized that they are the journey's beginning - not the end. If you have progressively built up to HSPUs in your training (rather than remaining with HeSPU variations) you will be able to military press AT LEAST your bodyweight; depending on how far through the HSPU variations you have progressed.

Remember resistance is resistance; it does not matter if it is a pound of iron or a pound of bodyweight - used methodically and with dedication the end result is still greater strength.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer


Taken from https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/23-discrepancies-in-military-pressing-vs-hspu-strength/

The tl;dr is if you are doing full ROM HSPU you should be able to do a bodyweight OHP


That's ridiculous they are different movements. It's like saying because you can do pistols with both legs you can do a 2x body weight squat.

I'll be attending a klokov seminar this weekend (:D:D:D) was wondering if anyone has any suggestion for questions to klokov.


A pistol on each leg would be roughly equivalent to a bodyweight barbell squat following the same logic since you still have to account for your body and not just the barbell, although with a non-barbell squat you aren't moving your entire mass so it'd be slightly less than bodyweight.


Yes but that doesn't really matter at all, you can't do those conversions. The angle of the joints and body position is different, stabilizing a barbell on your shoulders is different than controlling your weight, etc you can't draw straight correlations. I used to be able to do 3-5 one arm push ups and bench 80kg, now I bench 160kg and can't do more than 1 simply because I haven't practiced them.

I'll rephrase that and ask klokov :D


I think HSPU -> OHP is a case where the conversion is pretty accurate, granted it's always harder to go from barbell to bodyweight movements since bodyweight requires much more stabilization. It's similar to how a person who is capable of a full planche is likely able to bench 1.5x+ bodyweight with little benching experience, but a person who benches even 2x+ bodyweight would still have to train a long time to get a full planche.

And yeah, I can almost squat 2x bodyweight but can't do a pistol, but it's because of lack of mobility. If I'm allowed to use something for balance (so i can go on my tiptoe and ignore my poor ankle mobility) then I've pretty much always been able to do a pistol even before I started squatting.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2014 16:25 GMT
#2323
Warning, great read:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/08/13/why-every-man-should-be-strong/

Warning, TRIGGER rage inducing article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/10965930/Why-gym-toned-men-are-a-huge-turn-off.html
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
August 14 2014 16:52 GMT
#2324
On August 15 2014 01:25 decafchicken wrote:
Warning, great read:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/08/13/why-every-man-should-be-strong/

Warning, TRIGGER rage inducing article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/10965930/Why-gym-toned-men-are-a-huge-turn-off.html


I think the most telling quote from the second article there:

I suspect my reaction to visibly fit, healthy men is connected with my own vanity - and guilt. I know I’m not as healthy as I ought to be, and I fear that I will be shown up.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2014 16:59 GMT
#2325
Yeah she's obviously super insecure about her lifestyle and health and doesn't want it shoved back in her face that there's people who enjoy something other than eating tubs of ice cream to sex and the city marathons.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
August 14 2014 17:42 GMT
#2326
I love Sex And The City :D
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2014 17:52 GMT
#2327
[image loading]
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AsnSensation
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany24009 Posts
August 14 2014 18:19 GMT
#2328
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and I don't really want to shame her or anything but assuming this is her
http://www.theguardian.com/profile/daisy-buchanan
I get where her insecurities might come from.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19258 Posts
August 14 2014 20:07 GMT
#2329
On August 15 2014 01:59 decafchicken wrote:
Yeah she's obviously super insecure about her lifestyle and health and doesn't want it shoved back in her face that there's people who enjoy something other than eating tubs of ice cream to sex and the city marathons.

At least it's a "this is my opinion and I know it's just mine" article and not an "in shape men are the bane of society" spew.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 14 2014 20:54 GMT
#2330
On August 15 2014 05:07 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2014 01:59 decafchicken wrote:
Yeah she's obviously super insecure about her lifestyle and health and doesn't want it shoved back in her face that there's people who enjoy something other than eating tubs of ice cream to sex and the city marathons.

At least it's a "this is my opinion and I know it's just mine" article and not an "in shape men are the bane of society" spew.


While I disagree with her I don't have any problem on her stating her opinion, but I wonder why it gets any media attention beyond a self published blog. As long as I'm allowed to say fat woman are disgusting, obviously.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
August 14 2014 21:27 GMT
#2331
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and well, she stated hers and the other website dude stated his.

I'll always side with one or another, but I have no problem having her say w/e she wants. Internet's a free place still. and Like GoTuNk said, fat bitches are the worst.

Also, I like my woman not fit fit, just enough that I can grab that ass. God damn, God bless girls with lovely ass.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 15 2014 02:13 GMT
#2332
On August 15 2014 06:27 funkie wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and well, she stated hers and the other website dude stated his.

I'll always side with one or another, but I have no problem having her say w/e she wants. Internet's a free place still. and Like GoTuNk said, fat bitches are the worst.

Also, I like my woman not fit fit, just enough that I can grab that ass. God damn, God bless girls with lovely ass.


crossfit girls with yoga pants
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
August 15 2014 03:40 GMT
#2333
As someone who loves food, cutting goes against every fiber of my being, but I have managed to drop about 3 kg in the past three weeks. Also managed to deadlift 130 kg (285lbs) this morning which is a PR for me. Squat is still a work in progress to keep achieving depth and keep my torso upright, but hit 95kg 3x5 and 1x3, 1x2 this morning which is also a sort of PR, if we count my new and improved form. Otherwise, I keep stretching and I can feel my mobility improving, but it still has a ways to go. Ordered a foam roller and it was supposed to arrive last night... didn't. Now it's a holiday in Korea so I gotta wait till Monday.

A few weeks ago I ranted a bit about my weight and how most people think I'm out of shape. And also that I'll run a 10 km with my parents in-law who seemed to doubt I could run at all. I was happy to impress my father in law by running 8.5 km with him last Sunday morning (wife and mom-in-law had to turn back after about 3 km). Running twice a week with the wife as well and we're progressing well. After the gym this morning we ran about 6 km without stopping. Her furthest run without having to walk.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 15 2014 12:07 GMT
#2334
Tough Mudder discount 40% off this weekend, heads up those who are into that kinda thing.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-15 13:40:54
August 15 2014 13:40 GMT
#2335
On August 15 2014 12:40 SoleSteeler wrote:
As someone who loves food, cutting goes against every fiber of my being, but I have managed to drop about 3 kg in the past three weeks. Also managed to deadlift 130 kg (285lbs) this morning which is a PR for me. Squat is still a work in progress to keep achieving depth and keep my torso upright, but hit 95kg 3x5 and 1x3, 1x2 this morning which is also a sort of PR, if we count my new and improved form. Otherwise, I keep stretching and I can feel my mobility improving, but it still has a ways to go. Ordered a foam roller and it was supposed to arrive last night... didn't. Now it's a holiday in Korea so I gotta wait till Monday.

A few weeks ago I ranted a bit about my weight and how most people think I'm out of shape. And also that I'll run a 10 km with my parents in-law who seemed to doubt I could run at all. I was happy to impress my father in law by running 8.5 km with him last Sunday morning (wife and mom-in-law had to turn back after about 3 km). Running twice a week with the wife as well and we're progressing well. After the gym this morning we ran about 6 km without stopping. Her furthest run without having to walk.



get her to do some squats, deadlifts and maybe some overhead squats.

You'll love me later, but you'll love her more .

Edit: Also, tell your father in law, that true strength is not defined by your endurance, true strength is defined by the abilities you're able to empower your body with by moving heavy objects around like it's cake.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Donkeys
Profile Joined August 2010
Mexico308 Posts
August 15 2014 13:58 GMT
#2336
On August 14 2014 23:47 decafchicken wrote:
Never tried to do a pistol before I could squat over double bodyweight and now I easily do pistols on both sides :D I imagine mobility and shit plays a big part though.

Let me know how it goes gotunk! no particular questions, curious to if he's going to start training seriously for rio 2016 (as most high level lifters aiming for this are) and when. Also, ask him who would win if maligov, apti, and okulov got in a fight, who would win?


Heard on a podcast that he's going to resume serious training next April preparing for 2015 worlds which is a Rio 2016 qualifier.
http://www.belowtherimyo.blogspot.com/
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19258 Posts
August 15 2014 15:56 GMT
#2337
Tough Mudder is a lot of fun. I recommend it to all of you :D
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-15 16:17:58
August 15 2014 16:16 GMT
#2338
On August 16 2014 00:56 tofucake wrote:
Tough Mudder is a lot of fun. I recommend it to all of you :D

Indeed! I plan to run two laps >:D

Also, it is expensive, but it's significantly less expensive right now than if you decided to register a few months out from the event. The open tickets give you flexibility on which one you attend if you have a few options near you.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
August 15 2014 16:28 GMT
#2339
According to a one rep max calculator, I still have a way to go before I hit my goals.

Current goals for 2014 (think I can hit them):

Squat 190 lbs 3x5 ---> 235 lbs 3x5
Bench Press 145 3x5 ---> 170 3x5
Overhead Press 105 3x5 ---> 130 3x5
Deadlift 295 1x5 ---> 340 1x5

I've also finally gotten up to 160 lbs bodyweight. I've been bulking really hard this summer, but I'm afraid that I'm going to lose a bit of weight once school starts again. Unfortunately, the first few months will be really busy with college applications, standardized testing, and all of my regular school work, but I guess I'll have to channel the power of Celltech and try to push though
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 15 2014 16:49 GMT
#2340
On August 16 2014 00:56 tofucake wrote:
Tough Mudder is a lot of fun. I recommend it to all of you :D


I just remember the last TM I heard about half the runners got norovirus rofl. I'll pass ^_^
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 51m
Stellar Fest
16h 51m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.