• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:03
CEST 06:03
KST 13:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8603 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 719

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 717 718 719 720 721 730 Next
DimmuKlok
Profile Joined June 2010
United States225 Posts
December 20 2011 07:34 GMT
#14361
On December 20 2011 03:41 purecarnagge wrote:
260lbs today. thats 15 lbs in 3 weeks. With one of those weeks being finals and only working out 1x that week. I'm almost halfway to my intial goal of 240lbs.

Excellent progress, Purecarnagge! The first couple weeks you'll lose weight pretty quickly but if you maintain a good diet you can keep a nice rate of continued weight loss without much effort.

Keep us updated. ^^
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-20 10:17:11
December 20 2011 10:16 GMT
#14362
On December 20 2011 15:17 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2011 10:50 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:
On December 20 2011 10:13 phyre112 wrote:
On December 19 2011 20:53 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:
Today's workout:

Squat 102,5kg 5-5-5 ATG, really proud
Bench Press 72,5kg 5-5 75kg 1x3 72,5kg 1x5
Deadlift 132,5kg 1x2

I had one of those existentialist conversations with myself after squats. 'Wehh, this can't be healthy wehhh, maybe I should switch programs wehhh, I didn't sleep enough so it's okay if I fail WEHHHHHH, IS THIS REALLY MAKING ME HAPPY?! WEHHH', but then I realised that the goal in life is to be awesome so I just smashed bench.


Dammit, I have to get eating if I'm going to stay ahead of you =(.

I've got 5kg on you in squat, even in bench (but for 5x5), and even in deadlift last time I pulled heavy - but that was before rugby, I've taken months off from heavy deads. Probably couldn't pull more than 120kg if I went in to deadlift tomorrow. You're right around my height/weight, correct? (193 cm/84kg)

Race to 1.5x BW squat (125kg) 1.75x BW dead (150kgish) and, because BW is so close for both of us, 100kg bench?

Make it three separate races, or have to accomplish all three? 1rm, set of 5, or 3x5?

I'm 1.96. Will get an accurate measurement on friday (if the french gym is open). I think I'll keep eating and sleeping like a boss and try to squeeze out a few weeks more progress on Starting Strength, then switch to BillStarr's 5x5.
But yeah on July 1st I was squatting 30kg and on the 11th that was 50kg. I think you do indeed gotta change something or I'll overtake you >:D

I'll race you to squats and deads, but my bench is pretty weak so meh :D


My bench is bad too, but I'm working on it. It's always a work in progress.

My stats honestly are so low for a couple reasons:

1) Excuses
2) Excuses
3) Excuses
4) Excuses


Fixed. You gotta man up for e-sports. I made five months of progress on you, basically. That's rediculous and you should do something about it.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
December 20 2011 11:49 GMT
#14363
been in korea for a little while now and we dont really eat enough/the right things to support working out.
a cook makes all our food for us, generic korea food with lots of white rice and veggies and random shit, not a lot of meat. empty carbs and not much protein. is it possible for me to sufficient nutrients to work out and build muscle with supplements or do i need to make additional meals for myself? if so, which supplements, are they available in korea, and can you get good protein powder/protein bars/whatever in korea or do i need to order them from the us?

havent done any research on this myself yet was hoping one of you could make my life easy. thanks.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
December 20 2011 12:00 GMT
#14364
On December 20 2011 20:49 IdrA wrote:
been in korea for a little while now and we dont really eat enough/the right things to support working out.
a cook makes all our food for us, generic korea food with lots of white rice and veggies and random shit, not a lot of meat. empty carbs and not much protein. is it possible for me to sufficient nutrients to work out and build muscle with supplements or do i need to make additional meals for myself? if so, which supplements, are they available in korea, and can you get good protein powder/protein bars/whatever in korea or do i need to order them from the us?

havent done any research on this myself yet was hoping one of you could make my life easy. thanks.


There are several options I think....

First would be asking the cook to do more meaty stuff. Supplements would be great, just some regular whey since the main thing you seem to be lacking is protein and perhaps some fish oil. I have no idea what are good/bad supplement companies in SK but a quick run on google showed that my personal favourite seems to sell in Korea.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/retailers.php

It's not ideal to workout with bad nutrition but I'd still say it is better than eating shit and not working out.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
December 20 2011 12:37 GMT
#14365
On December 20 2011 20:49 IdrA wrote:
been in korea for a little while now and we dont really eat enough/the right things to support working out.
a cook makes all our food for us, generic korea food with lots of white rice and veggies and random shit, not a lot of meat. empty carbs and not much protein. is it possible for me to sufficient nutrients to work out and build muscle with supplements or do i need to make additional meals for myself? if so, which supplements, are they available in korea, and can you get good protein powder/protein bars/whatever in korea or do i need to order them from the us?

havent done any research on this myself yet was hoping one of you could make my life easy. thanks.


I've never lived in Korea, but Korea and Japan are pretty similar in a lot of regards so maybe the situation here is the same.

If you're having enough trouble getting sufficient protein, I recommend a simple whey protein. If you're lactose intolerant, you can just go for whey protein isolate. You can most likely just buy whey in Korea (not isolate most likely), but ordering from www.iherb.com would probably be cheaper, even including shipping (especially so if you're ordering using KRW). Their overseas shipping services are pretty good so it would be a good place to start.

Of course, this depends on how little protein you happen to be eating right now. If you're only getting something like 30g/day from food, and you want to get the standard of 1g of protein/1 pound of bodyweight, you'll probably be better off going out for a protein rich meal once a day and then filling in the rest with whey. Getting the vast majority of your protein from supplements is not recommended.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 20 2011 12:53 GMT
#14366
ya get some protein milkshake tubs and an electric blender
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
December 20 2011 13:29 GMT
#14367
Idra, I dunno how it works in your house, if the team pays for the food, etc, but I guess you can buy some meat yourself (tuna fish is pretty cheap) and ask the cook to prepare it for you. You can always drink a lot of milk, eat cheese, yogurts as they are an easy way to get some protein. Check this site: http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/
For the Swarm!
Gomas
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Poland312 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-20 14:33:15
December 20 2011 14:31 GMT
#14368
I was lifting for 3 months with no access to kitchen or fridge, so quite similar situation to Idra's. Snack on nuts (especially almonds) all day. Eat a tub of cottage cheese in the evening, for dat dere slow digesting casein. Ofc things like peanut butter, tuna, canned beans are good easy sources of protein as well. I also dipped everything in olive oil for healthy fats. Drink milk and whey if you don't meet your daily protein goals that way alone.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice myself. Been lifting for just over 3 months, started at skinnyfat with no muscle.

http://i.imgur.com/vQOqd.jpg

I'm doing SS with added chin-ups. Started with bar only on all, atm my 3x5 are: squat 90kg, dl 110kg, bench 60kg, ohp 40kg.

As you can probably see in pic and from stats, my upper-body is lacking. I still wanna do something like SS, cause I wanna maximize the easiest gains I'll ever have. Should I start squatting less? Add some arm assistance? I haven't seriously stalled on anything yet, so in theory I shouldn't be switching routines, but those legs are becoming huge
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
December 20 2011 14:43 GMT
#14369
On December 20 2011 23:31 Gomas wrote:
I was lifting for 3 months with no access to kitchen or fridge, so quite similar situation to Idra's. Snack on nuts (especially almonds) all day. Eat a tub of cottage cheese in the evening, for dat dere slow digesting casein. Ofc things like peanut butter, tuna, canned beans are good easy sources of protein as well. I also dipped everything in olive oil for healthy fats. Drink milk and whey if you don't meet your daily protein goals that way alone.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice myself. Been lifting for just over 3 months, started at skinnyfat with no muscle.

http://i.imgur.com/vQOqd.jpg

I'm doing SS with added chin-ups. Started with bar only on all, atm my 3x5 are: squat 90kg, dl 110kg, bench 60kg, ohp 40kg.

As you can probably see in pic and from stats, my upper-body is lacking. I still wanna do something like SS, cause I wanna maximize the easiest gains I'll ever have. Should I start squatting less? Add some arm assistance? I haven't seriously stalled on anything yet, so in theory I shouldn't be switching routines, but those legs are becoming huge


Huh? If you're still making progress why would you stop, and what's the problem with huge legs...
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
December 20 2011 15:00 GMT
#14370
are almonds the best nut to snack on or just a preference?
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-20 15:09:04
December 20 2011 15:04 GMT
#14371
yeah, almonds and walnuts are pretty good

@Gomas: SS is not the best program if you want a huge upper body and dont care about legs. but i'd still advise you keep milking those beginner gains on strict SS and switch over to a bro routine once you've hit some respectable numbers with SS.
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Logros
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands9913 Posts
December 20 2011 15:11 GMT
#14372
Whey, milk, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese (if you can stand it) or quark cheese are all good to reach your daily protein goals.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
December 20 2011 15:31 GMT
#14373
Nuts are decent to snack on overall (there's no real 1 best nut either -- mostly your preference).

Although they don't give you much protein if that's what you're looking for. Most plants, nuts, soy, etc. only have protein that is about 40-70% bioavailable in your intestines to use.

Animal proteins like meats, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. are more along the lines of 90-99% available to use which is why they tend to be universally better.

If your goal is to get more protein and calories overall, then whole milk is probably the best thing if you're not lactose intolerant. Great for building muscle mass.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
December 20 2011 15:34 GMT
#14374
On December 20 2011 23:31 Gomas wrote:
I was lifting for 3 months with no access to kitchen or fridge, so quite similar situation to Idra's. Snack on nuts (especially almonds) all day. Eat a tub of cottage cheese in the evening, for dat dere slow digesting casein. Ofc things like peanut butter, tuna, canned beans are good easy sources of protein as well. I also dipped everything in olive oil for healthy fats. Drink milk and whey if you don't meet your daily protein goals that way alone.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice myself. Been lifting for just over 3 months, started at skinnyfat with no muscle.

http://i.imgur.com/vQOqd.jpg

I'm doing SS with added chin-ups. Started with bar only on all, atm my 3x5 are: squat 90kg, dl 110kg, bench 60kg, ohp 40kg.

As you can probably see in pic and from stats, my upper-body is lacking. I still wanna do something like SS, cause I wanna maximize the easiest gains I'll ever have. Should I start squatting less? Add some arm assistance? I haven't seriously stalled on anything yet, so in theory I shouldn't be switching routines, but those legs are becoming huge


Imo your upperbody isn't lacking, you've had great proress with SS and why fix something that isn't borken?

Your legs aren't that huge tbh.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
December 20 2011 16:13 GMT
#14375
You can't buy cottage cheese in Korea (that I've ever seen outside speciality stores). Nor canned beans, unfortunately. Peanut butter is insanely expensive also ($10+ for a medium sized jar) but you can get it for cheap at Costco.

Idra: you can go to Namdaemun (the "grey/black" traditional Korean market near City Hall area) and find protein powder there. I bought 10 pounds a couple weeks ago for 130,000 won. Can't get it for much cheaper than that in Korea, especially when you order it online. Buying it in 5 pound tubs usually costs about 70-80,000 won.

Hard to find the woman who sells it though in that maze... Let me know if you'd want me to try and give you directions.

NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
December 20 2011 16:20 GMT
#14376
Don't go for cheap, go for quality. Protein powder has a sick protein-to-money ratio. Just go with like Optimum Nutrition Gold whey. Really wouldn't try to skimp on Protein Powder, heard some bad things.

And food should be cheaper in Korea, so just get the chef to throw in more meat.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
Gomas
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Poland312 Posts
December 20 2011 16:21 GMT
#14377
I just like almonds, and they don't have any overwhelming taste like other nuts, so I can eat them in large quantities. I always seen them recommended as good bodybuilding snacks thou.

"Almonds provide a good source of protein and fat, but it’s their vitamin E that is most beneficial to your muscles. The powerful antioxidant fights free radicals and helps you recover quicker from your workouts."
purecarnagge
Profile Joined August 2010
719 Posts
December 20 2011 16:25 GMT
#14378
Sorry but I can't stop thinking of Fruitdealer dropping off snacks for Idra. I'm horrible.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
December 20 2011 16:32 GMT
#14379
On December 21 2011 01:20 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:
Don't go for cheap, go for quality. Protein powder has a sick protein-to-money ratio. Just go with like Optimum Nutrition Gold whey. Really wouldn't try to skimp on Protein Powder, heard some bad things.

And food should be cheaper in Korea, so just get the chef to throw in more meat.


It's the same stuff you buy at the GNC or any other health store. The sellers get it from the US military cheap and then re-sell it. On that note, if you can get access to a military base, that's the best place for protein powder in Korea. But anyway, the stuff at Namdaemun isn't cheap or a knock-off brand or anything. Actually, the one I bought is the same one on iherb.com >_<
KT s0ng
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Korea (South)88 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-20 16:33:40
December 20 2011 16:32 GMT
#14380
Little diary/update, spoilered because there's not much health info:
+ Show Spoiler +

Down to 85/86kg now. My last post was 93kg about a month ago (original original weight was 120kg in May). This month I've just been running in the real world down by a river, around 6/7km a night. Actually the last week I've been pretty sick so I didn't run I just kept to my diet of kimchi jiggae (soup) and veggie rice and I'm still losing weight. My body is so fucking weird right now, haha. Like I have some manboobs and a little gut but the area in between is pretty thin, and my lower back is looking good, but I still have some fat on my upper back. From the front I look pretty good (I buy clothes now in Korea, like a US medium/95 woot woot), but from the side it's just damn strange.

I've been losing a little willpower because I'm pretty happy with how I am and I've been enjoying playing SC this week and just keeping my diet and losing weight a little slower. I used to really want a girlfriend but now I'm actually in the position to get one, it seems like a lot of hassle kekeke

But still after Christmas I want to go mental again for a few months I think, especially with beach time coming up in the summer.
Prev 1 717 718 719 720 721 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings127
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta20
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 243
NeuroSwarm 172
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 283
hero 60
ZergMaN 8
sorry 8
Terrorterran 7
Bale 1
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1179
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Counter-Strike
taco 457
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King204
Other Games
summit1g9336
Maynarde206
ArmadaUGS47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick462
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 142
• Berry_CruncH59
• practicex 21
• Letter144
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota251
League of Legends
• Lourlo1192
• Rush1006
• Stunt175
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 57m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 57m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 57m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.