• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:30
CEST 01:30
KST 08:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War685.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12550 users

Nerd Upgrades needs great coaches - Page 3

Forum Index > Sponsored Threads
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
steakbbq
Profile Joined December 2010
United States15 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-23 18:52:39
March 23 2013 18:49 GMT
#41
I love getting coached, its a way more personal experience. I also have extra money from working so its not really a big deal to pay $20 for a couple hours of coaching by someone to see how well they coach me.
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-23 19:43:56
March 23 2013 19:43 GMT
#42
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 23 2013 21:53 althaz wrote:
You should probably hide these errors from the public...
Logging (obviously it's bad to suppress errors without logging) plus global exception handling is like 5-10 minutes work to implement (I am a professional web dev and it wounds me when people don't do this). As an added bonus if you set it up to email support the error, whenever a user gets the error, your support team gets notified .


They were normally logged, they weren't at that time due to a mistake. Thank you though.


Saw a Gold and Diamond ranked coach. No one should pay for coaching from someone of that level, they are doing something wrong which in turn would be taught to others, heck I wouldn't take any coaching advice from the majority of Masters players. Seems like its on the student to find a good coach rather than a service offering a selection of good coaches.

Besides that thou it is a nice set of features you offer to people that want to coach. It looks great for a trusted and well known coach that can link you to his profile to help organize his/her coaching sessions but I'm just not sure it will be so good for the students that are browsing your page looking for a coach.


We appreciate your feedback and this was something we put a lot of thought into. We decided that great coaches come in all shapes and sizes and just because you can play at a high level, doesn't necessarily mean you can teach at a high level.

I would also like to point out that many coaches have started offering free lessons to start with, in order to build a reputation on Nerd Upgrades. Check Out https://nerdupgrades.com/ichigotowar/ http://nerdupgrades.com/Zackor/ http://nerdupgrades.com/mikemack/ for instance. We will also be implementing things like featured coaches, coach of the week and achievements that coaches can earn to order to show merit to potential students.

In general I don't understand why these types of things exist. You should just get better from readying TL.net and other sites (THERE ARE NO OTHERS <3) and from the struggle. If you are in the struggle and don't understand how to get better, there are even parts of TL.net that explain how to get better. This actually has inspired me to do my part and write up something about how I got into Masters League from a crawl out of bronze. From learning and practice. You don't need coaches. Unless you are so lazy that you need a life coach to inspire you to get on TL.net and read about how to get better............


We respect your opinion and we definitely see and understand your side of the argument. However, the topic already heavily discussed in the thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401334. Please direct all further debate about the subject here guys
sabas123
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands3122 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-24 15:47:47
March 24 2013 15:46 GMT
#43
would be awesome if it also had bw

i would love to coach some free bw^^ (i am around C+)
The harder it becomes, the more you should focus on the basics.
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 24 2013 18:48 GMT
#44
On March 25 2013 00:46 sabas123 wrote:
would be awesome if it also had bw

i would love to coach some free bw^^ (i am around C+)


I'll go ahead and add that today. Thanks!
Shin_Gouki
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States313 Posts
March 24 2013 19:12 GMT
#45
woah, pretty cool website you have here. I'll have to keep a close eye on it to see if any reputable coaches decide to promote themselves on it^^
Death comes in many forms
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 25 2013 00:46 GMT
#46
On March 25 2013 04:12 Shin_Gouki wrote:
woah, pretty cool website you have here. I'll have to keep a close eye on it to see if any reputable coaches decide to promote themselves on it^^


Many brilliant coaches have already started offering lessons! We hope that with our site some unknown but great teachers will grow into well known coaches.

However, we're doing our best to let the pros know about us, but we are of humble beginnings - so we'll just continue to provide awesome stuff and they will take notice!
Silvang
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands7 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-25 10:29:46
March 25 2013 10:26 GMT
#47
Hey there,

Very nice site and i think it can grow to something very useful.

On to the features i'd like to see:
- Coach finder : desperately needs a sorting feature! By rate/name/gmt/rating. The games column could potentially be gone(since you already choose your game from within the drop-down menu) with a game-specific column (for instance SC2 really needs a race column per coach, so you can immediately see what races they coach and also then sort it that way).
-Maybe the GMT column transformed into zone column (EU/NA etc)? Just an idea for easier "reference".

Nothing else comes to mind for the time being, i'll be sure to add if/when they do.

Good luck with the site
WhiteBratt
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands7 Posts
March 25 2013 12:41 GMT
#48
Wow nice! Great idea and platform :D
Gratz!

First wanted to address somethings bit less related in this topic; concerning learning and teaching.
I've started my studies in Psychology many years ago and concerning the topic of learning a lot can be said (and actually has been said ).
1. The most important thing is that a learning experience is different for everyone and even the optimal way to learn stuff is different. (off-topic; do you see what the problem might be with public schooling as we know it ).
So some people benefit the most from reading a lot, trial-and-error, some prefer to think ahead, some find role-models at megahigh level and some find role-models at more moderate levels etc etc. Either solution in itself or a combination of different aspects sums up the perfect learning experience for a certain individual (well, could be, more or less, related to personality types...)
2. It's off course dependent on your own personal goals/capabilities whether or not you need a higher or lower level coach or a certain coaching style. I myself had never ever played RTS before in my life and although I am a real big fan of starcraft2, I find my life to busy to practice a lot. So although offcourse I'd love to be a diamond or masters league I am also very much aware that this would require a shit load of practice for me. But at the same time I think my current level of playing could easily improved in about 1/2/3 hours with a coach even at the platinum level. I mean, since my goal isn't to surpass them but to get a similar level how could it really damage me ;-)


and back to the topic at hand;
I'd like to ask; have you found a reliable way of getting feedback? I mean the one danger I see that could ruin this perfect idea is what I like to call StarcraftFluffyness
I am a huge fan of being nice and treating the rest of the world accordingly, but if you're gonna set-up a system where people have to leave feedback about their coach you will quite easily find yourself in situation where the student has gotten to like his coach and hence be much friendlier about his coaching then might be prudent. (or reversed, a perfectly okay coach getting a shitty review because of some personal dislikes)
The way science handles this troublesome situation is to design questions which, as much as humanly possible, could be measured and reproduced.

I really think you guys are on to something and I wish you luck! :D
Silvang
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands7 Posts
March 25 2013 12:49 GMT
#49
Great post and insight WhiteBratt. Maybe it could help them if you had/could provide some feedback questionnaires (like the ones you mentioned) as an example?

I'd certainly be more than interested to check them out myself!

NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 26 2013 08:34 GMT
#50
On March 25 2013 19:26 Silvang wrote:
Hey there,

Very nice site and i think it can grow to something very useful.

On to the features i'd like to see:
- Coach finder : desperately needs a sorting feature! By rate/name/gmt/rating. The games column could potentially be gone(since you already choose your game from within the drop-down menu) with a game-specific column (for instance SC2 really needs a race column per coach, so you can immediately see what races they coach and also then sort it that way).
-Maybe the GMT column transformed into zone column (EU/NA etc)? Just an idea for easier "reference".

Nothing else comes to mind for the time being, i'll be sure to add if/when they do.

Good luck with the site


Thank you guys very much for the feedback and criticisms. I've been working hard to improve the coach finder, and this will be done very soon.
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 26 2013 08:39 GMT
#51
On March 25 2013 21:41 WhiteBratt wrote:
Wow nice! Great idea and platform :D
Gratz!

First wanted to address somethings bit less related in this topic; concerning learning and teaching.
I've started my studies in Psychology many years ago and concerning the topic of learning a lot can be said (and actually has been said ).
1. The most important thing is that a learning experience is different for everyone and even the optimal way to learn stuff is different. (off-topic; do you see what the problem might be with public schooling as we know it ).
So some people benefit the most from reading a lot, trial-and-error, some prefer to think ahead, some find role-models at megahigh level and some find role-models at more moderate levels etc etc. Either solution in itself or a combination of different aspects sums up the perfect learning experience for a certain individual (well, could be, more or less, related to personality types...)
2. It's off course dependent on your own personal goals/capabilities whether or not you need a higher or lower level coach or a certain coaching style. I myself had never ever played RTS before in my life and although I am a real big fan of starcraft2, I find my life to busy to practice a lot. So although offcourse I'd love to be a diamond or masters league I am also very much aware that this would require a shit load of practice for me. But at the same time I think my current level of playing could easily improved in about 1/2/3 hours with a coach even at the platinum level. I mean, since my goal isn't to surpass them but to get a similar level how could it really damage me ;-)


and back to the topic at hand;
I'd like to ask; have you found a reliable way of getting feedback? I mean the one danger I see that could ruin this perfect idea is what I like to call StarcraftFluffyness
I am a huge fan of being nice and treating the rest of the world accordingly, but if you're gonna set-up a system where people have to leave feedback about their coach you will quite easily find yourself in situation where the student has gotten to like his coach and hence be much friendlier about his coaching then might be prudent. (or reversed, a perfectly okay coach getting a shitty review because of some personal dislikes)
The way science handles this troublesome situation is to design questions which, as much as humanly possible, could be measured and reproduced.

I really think you guys are on to something and I wish you luck! :D


As of now, only students who have booked a lesson may submit a review. If a coach has a problem with a review, we will handle it the way eBay does with seller ratings. Both sides with have a chance to state their case - after that we will decide as a team how to best make both parties satisfied.

Thank you for your feedback good sir.
rezzan
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden329 Posts
March 26 2013 17:20 GMT
#52
if you made this WAY before the new replay system , id probably use it. .
Sponsored by Play3r.net and eurodomination.net www.twitch.tv/tacowtf
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 26 2013 17:38 GMT
#53
On March 27 2013 02:20 rezzan wrote:
if you made this WAY before the new replay system , id probably use it. .


Replays are great but they will never replace a good coach.
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-27 04:48:29
March 27 2013 04:47 GMT
#54
On March 26 2013 17:34 NerdUpgrades wrote:
Thank you guys very much for the feedback and criticisms. I've been working hard to improve the coach finder, and this will be done very soon.


Coach finder is now updated for easier use. I know a lot of people in here were wanting improvements. Of course, more features will continue to be added.
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
March 27 2013 06:31 GMT
#55
Sick site! Reminds me of some of the old ones that unfortunately didn't make it. I have signed up as a coach and hopefully can meet some of the requirements for a featured coach.
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
Squallman
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden5 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-27 08:15:00
March 27 2013 08:14 GMT
#56
A suggestion I have would be that in the same list where you search for the coaches, there can be a little button called Advanced Search, or just implement it on the same page. I want to be able to choose the minimum and maximum price for coaching, which region the coach is situated in and also which race the coach is currently playing. For me as a protoss player I would really want to search for a protoss coach, just seems more effecient. So you dont have to scroll through so many pages and even having to click on the coaches to see which race they are.

I know a Grandmaster Zerg can probably still teach the shit out of me, im a protoss player. But I think everyone feels the most comfortable being tought by their own race (Starcraft 2 race, nothing else!)

Targe
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom14103 Posts
March 27 2013 10:27 GMT
#57
Sick looking site but I noticed pressing the back button breaks the search and you have to search again, asks to send a form again.
11/5/14 CATACLYSM | The South West's worst Falco main
sCFade
Profile Joined September 2010
307 Posts
March 28 2013 16:40 GMT
#58
The coach finder should show coaches by rating instead of by name.
Let it Raine
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1245 Posts
March 29 2013 01:49 GMT
#59
Seems like its going to be hard for people to distinguish me from all the of the bad zergs.
Grandmaster Zerg x14. Diamond 1 LoL. MLG 50, Halo 3. Raine.
NerdUpgrades
Profile Joined March 2013
Canada41 Posts
March 29 2013 02:07 GMT
#60
On March 29 2013 10:49 Let it Raine wrote:
Seems like its going to be hard for people to distinguish me from all the of the bad zergs.


Promote your services! We encourage coaches to promote their profile page like they would promote their twitter page.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings53
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta15
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O113
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9542
Artosis 697
ZZZero.O 113
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm185
League of Legends
Doublelift5714
JimRising 353
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe13
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3930
Other Games
summit1g9182
FrodaN2209
Liquid`RaSZi1867
Livibee427
C9.Mang0353
Maynarde159
ArmadaUGS45
Mew2King41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1166
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 151
• Sammyuel 34
• musti20045 32
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1567
• Scarra1206
• Shiphtur639
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 30m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.