• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:08
CEST 22:08
KST 05:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7561 users

[G] Fleet Keys - Refined Hotkey Systems - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 24 Next All
daagar
Profile Joined May 2013
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-27 15:14:57
May 27 2013 15:11 GMT
#181
Much thanks for providing this layout. The grid layout 'clicked' for me from the start, as it is laid out similar to other games and 3D software so felt familiar, but certain things about it still irked me (mostly the use of the 'z' key). Alloy addresses that exact issue while keeping the general intuitiveness of grid so it was an instant no-brainer.

I really wanted to give TheCore a try because 200+ pages must mean something, but I use a Microsoft 'Comfort Curve 3000' keyboard which makes using the ctrl-shift combo via the thumb a bit more awkward than I think it is supposed to be (they are oversized from a normal keyboard). It also lacks the 'intuitive' factor - in the heat of the moment you can't recall an obscure command by thinking about it - you either know where it is or you don't. Sure, that would come with practice. With a grid/Alloy layout, you can make a decent guess!

Someone upthread I think asked if you're learning a new layout anyway, why wouldn't you go with TheCore right from the outset - as a new SC2 player, the above intuitiveness factor would be a big reason. As a newbie, TheCore is alien not just because of the unusal 'use the wrong side of the keyboard' factor, but because of the layout in general - it puts things in priority order. As a newbie, you most certainly have no idea about priority so the learning curve is steeper because you can't see the 'why' of certain choices until you have a deeper understanding of the game.

I only have two minor 'complaints' about Alloy:
* It is awkward to have 'Add to group' use shift-alt for Q-R, but only use shift for TAB. Same for CAPS LOCK vs. A-V. However, I don't think this is something Alloy can fix because you can't override the ALT-TAB function, for example. Unfortunate, as that has been my biggest stumbling block in adapting to Alloy.
* I'd like to see the original post updated with the latest links to the Alloy downloads (including the new cheatsheets), and the large changelog/guide that was posted on page 8. It took me a while to understand how to properly use the injecting features, for example, and I still don't think I properly understand how to use the 's' key for creep spread. Some of this is being a SC2 newbie in general, I know. It also wasn't until pretty deep in the thread that I realized what Alloy really was, and that it was the new hotness and to not bother with Element.

-------------

@naxi:
1. A conflict warning I believe is normal if you have multiple templates present (though I'm not sure about those specific conflicts). It can be ignored without issue that I've seen.
2. No way to auto-flip between hotkeys. You just have to get real good and going into options and switching while your first worker is building if you're playing random...
naxi
Profile Joined May 2013
United States6 Posts
May 28 2013 01:42 GMT
#182
@daagar

Ah, too bad about the auto-switching, I guess doing it manually isn't such a big deal. Also, looks like you were right about the conflict warning, turns out the three abilities I mentioned had hotkeys, they just didn't show up in the hotkeys menu initially.

Thanks!
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
May 28 2013 07:54 GMT
#183
[QUOTE]On May 28 2013 00:11 daagar wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Much thanks for providing this layout. The grid layout 'clicked' for me from the start, as it is laid out similar to other games and 3D software so felt familiar, but certain things about it still irked me (mostly the use of the 'z' key). Alloy addresses that exact issue while keeping the general intuitiveness of grid so it was an instant no-brainer.

I really wanted to give TheCore a try because 200+ pages must mean something, but I use a Microsoft 'Comfort Curve 3000' keyboard which makes using the ctrl-shift combo via the thumb a bit more awkward than I think it is supposed to be (they are oversized from a normal keyboard). It also lacks the 'intuitive' factor - in the heat of the moment you can't recall an obscure command by thinking about it - you either know where it is or you don't. Sure, that would come with practice. With a grid/Alloy layout, you can make a decent guess!

Someone upthread I think asked if you're learning a new layout anyway, why wouldn't you go with TheCore right from the outset - as a new SC2 player, the above intuitiveness factor would be a big reason. As a newbie, TheCore is alien not just because of the unusal 'use the wrong side of the keyboard' factor, but because of the layout in general - it puts things in priority order. As a newbie, you most certainly have no idea about priority so the learning curve is steeper because you can't see the 'why' of certain choices until you have a deeper understanding of the game.

I only have two minor 'complaints' about Alloy:
* It is awkward to have 'Add to group' use shift-alt for Q-R, but only use shift for TAB. Same for CAPS LOCK vs. A-V. However, I don't think this is something Alloy can fix because you can't override the ALT-TAB function, for example. Unfortunate, as that has been my biggest stumbling block in adapting to Alloy.
* I'd like to see the original post updated with the latest links to the Alloy downloads (including the new cheatsheets), and the large changelog/guide that was posted on page 8. It took me a while to understand how to properly use the injecting features, for example, and I still don't think I properly understand how to use the 's' key for creep spread. Some of this is being a SC2 newbie in general, I know. It also wasn't until pretty deep in the thread that I realized what Alloy really was, and that it was the new hotness and to not bother with Element.


Hey, thanks for checking this out and even digging for info. Alloy has been something I was working on and updating off and on for a bit now, and fully incorporating it into the original thread meant re-doing the entire thing in a better way. As soon as I had a stable version of Alloy, I have been gradually adding/updating the file, and as of recently, including and updating the cheat sheets. The latest versions of Element and Alloy along with their cheat sheets are up for download, but the thread itself doesn't reflect the current state of the layouts just yet. This is all still a work in progress and is all still relatively new.

Early on I heard a lot of questions/comparisons to Fleet Keys (any version) and TheCore (still do, probably will for a while). The two layouts are designed so different on so many levels that directly comparing them leaves you wondering what exactly you're comparing to begin with. Comparing apples and oranges is a good but unfortunately cliche example. I like the ongoing development aspect of TheCore a lot, I like that there is a dedicated group of intelligent people working away at it all the time (so much progress has been in those many pages). When you made the comparison of Grid/Alloy to TheCore and mentioned the "guessing" part, you really summed up a lot about the two layouts. Prioritizing makes sense, but keeping things more simple and intuitive is important as well. I say it's important because you don't always learn in a vacuum, you don't always have time or the want to invest time in preparing/fully learning a layout before playing, and like many, do not start off with a lot of knowledge before hand. If you hopped into a game with Alloy or Element, you would only have to look at the Command Cards a few times until you started seeing the pattern, and like you said, began guessing right. It can easily click with people, give them the tools they need with some solid ideas, and send them on their way, while TheCore really trains you to play with prioritized keys and be proactive about learning every bit of the layout to squeeze the most out of the results of their data and testing. They do great work over in that thread, and I enjoy the large community aspect of it and seeing its progress. Comparing Element, or better yet, Alloy to TheCore always feels strange to me because they're so fundamentally different, and opinions can be drastically different depending on who you ask.

I'll tell you a few things that will also be in the refinished thread regarding Element and Alloy that might clear up some questions you and other may have.
Element, while not as "efficient" as Alloy, is a fantastic transitional layout. It's great for players just starting off without any game knowledge, who may only want to play at a strictly casual level with a decent layout, or more commonly, have a lack (but curiosity) of any Grid experience. Some may be happy and stay with Element, and some may like what Element offered them and they can step over to Alloy, while others go straight to Alloy (I would probably recommend that to most). There are many differences between the two, but if you're already familiar with Element, then learning Alloy feels like you're steadily trimming fat off of your game without completely flipping it upside down. From the start, I only wanted to have more options while keeping some solid amount of familiarity. 8 Camera Locations, 10 Control Groups, and other important functions along with some easy and basic keystrokes seemed like a good start. Alloy crunched it up further, and added even more perks. It is very much necessary for both to exist at this point.

To address your two complaints (many others may be wondering about this as well)--

1. Shift+Alt is used simply because it tells the player two things that Ctrl+Alt did not (which is the original way to add to Q-R). It basically says that Shift + Key is how you add to mostly everything else, Shift+Alt+Key is how you add to your hotkeys accessed with Alt+Key; it makes a lot of sense. The second reason is that you are using your ring, middle, and index fingers a lot. Ctrl+Alt+Key didn't allow many players to make continued use of these fingers, as it made you use your index finger to assign nearly all of the Q-R hotkeys, and that felt pretty bad. When using Shift+Alt+Key, you are able to use your thumb and pinky on the modifiers, while continuing on as normal with using your ring, middle and index fingers on Q-R.

2. I don't have a changelog properly documented right now, and I won't have one with the release of the redesigned thread, but I think I could put one together. Reducing the amount of info and shortening up the necessary stuff was on the top of my list when I started reworking all of this. There haven't been a ton of iterations, but I understand what you mean, and I think I could put something useful together in the future that serves as a decent changelog.

I am not sure if you've seen the new cheat sheets for download, but they contain some basic directions on how to perform Injects, including directions for the Backspace method, Mouseless Backspace method, and Camera (aka Layered) Injects. More detailed info can and will be added to the redesign, and in the end, hopefully a set of quick videos can be included to cut out all the heavy reading that the current thread is plagued with. I realize this response is becoming something just like that, but it's not mandatory to sift through like most of the OP should be. This is where the discussions go, so I'll use the space here to explain things and answer questions the best that I can. I'll end this by just saying that although you may be an SC2 newb, being proactive in other constructive ways is never a bad thing, especially if you enjoy it. Thanks again, and hopefully that post helped you and anyone else with similar concerns.
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
May 28 2013 13:38 GMT
#184
Is the download link in the original post up to date?
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
May 28 2013 16:33 GMT
#185
On May 28 2013 22:38 Tritone wrote:
Is the download link in the original post up to date?


Yup, any place where you see that red download link will take you to where you need to go. The top of the thread has the link that is the easiest to locate, but any that you find throughout the thread are also up to date.

When I make any big changes that people must know about I make a post regarding the update. It depends on what the issue is, but If I'm just fixing up little miss-binds here and there or anything very minor like that I just update the files and that's it. If a player notices an issue and I resolve it, I try to solve it and and post here to mention the fix.
daagar
Profile Joined May 2013
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 03:54:11
May 29 2013 03:46 GMT
#186
On May 28 2013 16:54 eneyeseekay wrote:

Hey, thanks for checking this out and even digging for info. Alloy has been something I was working on and updating off and on for a bit now, and fully incorporating it into the original thread meant re-doing the entire thing in a better way. As soon as I had a stable version of Alloy, I have been gradually adding/updating the file, and as of recently, including and updating the cheat sheets. The latest versions of Element and Alloy along with their cheat sheets are up for download, but the thread itself doesn't reflect the current state of the layouts just yet. This is all still a work in progress and is all still relatively new.



Of course! No rush. Alloy seemed fairly 'complete' as it is (since you have cheatsheets for it now), it just wasn't obvious from the first post that it was ready (and suggested). And now that I re-read the first post, I see most of this is covered in the FAQ. I must have stopped reading. Shame on me.

On May 28 2013 16:54 eneyeseekay wrote:
Comparing Element, or better yet, Alloy to TheCore always feels strange to me because they're so fundamentally different, and opinions can be drastically different depending on who you ask.


Remember though, noobs like myself want to jump in with "the best", despite there being no 'best' (or one-size-fits-all solution). Which is why I wanted to put in my 2c about why (and how!) Alloy did differ for others that were curious.


On May 28 2013 16:54 eneyeseekay wrote:
To address your two complaints (many others may be wondering about this as well)--

1. Shift+Alt is used simply because it tells the player two things that Ctrl+Alt did not (which is the original way to add to Q-R). It basically says that Shift + Key is how you add to mostly everything else, Shift+Alt+Key is how you add to your hotkeys accessed with Alt+Key; it makes a lot of sense. The second reason is that you are using your ring, middle, and index fingers a lot. Ctrl+Alt+Key didn't allow many players to make continued use of these fingers, as it made you use your index finger to assign nearly all of the Q-R hotkeys, and that felt pretty bad. When using Shift+Alt+Key, you are able to use your thumb and pinky on the modifiers, while continuing on as normal with using your ring, middle and index fingers on Q-R.


Ah, you may have misunderstood me here. I have absolutely no complaint about shift-alt - it is a very natural binding. I was merely stating that it is unfortunate that you can't use shift-alt-tab (to be consistent with shift-alt-q, shift-alt-w, etc.), and similarly for bindings that involve caps lock. This isn't anything Alloy can fix


eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
May 29 2013 05:16 GMT
#187
On May 29 2013 12:46 daagar wrote:
Remember though, noobs like myself want to jump in with "the best", despite there being no 'best' (or one-size-fits-all solution). Which is why I wanted to put in my 2c about why (and how!) Alloy did differ for others that were curious.

If you come to any more conclusions through your experience with Fleet Keys or other layouts I'd love to hear them. If I create a feedback section with quotes from other players, it may give those without much Fleet Keys experience a better idea of what to expect without having me feed them the info directly from my mouth. Avoiding my potentially biased side of of things is what I'd like to do if possible. Impressions straight from the other players is the best way in my opinion! If it means anything, Fleet Keys is not a business for me and I have no plans of crafting a brand or anything around it. It's not a business venture where I plan to gain popularity and eventually become a caster or significant community figurehead of some sort. I just want Fleet Keys to be a solid option for players throughout SC2's lifespan. Observations and opinions such as yours helps to either weed it out or solidify its existence, so more of that will surely help paint a more accurate picture in any case. Thank you for your two cents!

Yes, it's unfortunate that Alt+Tab can't be used together. The Alt+Tab interaction issue isn't something Alloy can fix at the moment, you're right about that. Given the choice and the ability to change it, I don't think I would. Adding Queens and Hatcheries (or Nexuses and CC's) has to be deliberate but easy to do often. It can't be too deliberate but it can't be too easy either, as miss-binding something like that can be game-breaking, so that's how I feel about those commands atm (firmly in the middle). Who knows, if something comes up that's amazing and works better without throwing people off, sure I'll consider incorporating it. I don't see that coming about until Blizzard adds more options for Ctrl+ and Shift+ commands though.
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 03:19:36
May 30 2013 03:18 GMT
#188
So even though there's no "left handed" version of this setup, I'm gonna try out Alloy for Zerg with some modifications. I'm switching around the attack/patrol/stop/move commands, adding a "return resources" key for drones, switching spacebar to select idle workers and switching tilde to base camera. Standard for lefties sucks and on a Mac I can't eve get the function keys to work properly (even if I select "allow accessibility" or whatever in system preferences). So I'm really excited to switching to a layout that works better for lefties and has useable camera locations!

Thanks for your hard work, eneyeseekay.
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
May 30 2013 08:52 GMT
#189
On May 30 2013 12:18 Tritone wrote:
So even though there's no "left handed" version of this setup, I'm gonna try out Alloy for Zerg with some modifications. I'm switching around the attack/patrol/stop/move commands, adding a "return resources" key for drones, switching spacebar to select idle workers and switching tilde to base camera. Standard for lefties sucks and on a Mac I can't eve get the function keys to work properly (even if I select "allow accessibility" or whatever in system preferences). So I'm really excited to switching to a layout that works better for lefties and has useable camera locations!

Thanks for your hard work, eneyeseekay.


If you're using Zerg, then Space Bar as Base Camera is the money spot. The Mouseless Backspace method and the regular Backspace method play quite heavily off of Space Bar's use.

I should probably ask why you would want to use return resource. Are there common situations where you use it? My guess would be post-harass management, after a split or something.

How do your Attack, etc. commands look like now? Have you tried using 1E, 2E, 3E? I find it to feel extremely smooth and quick, especially when controlling 3 or more army groups. If Control Group 1 was on " ` ", CG 2 on "1", CG3 on "2", and CG4 on "3",, then "W" would make for a great binding for attacking with multiple CG's. What prompted the changes? Was it due to pre-existing preferences? Or just bad locations in the layout for you?
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 17:08:36
May 30 2013 15:12 GMT
#190
On May 30 2013 17:52 eneyeseekay wrote:
If you're using Zerg, then Space Bar as Base Camera is the money spot. The Mouseless Backspace method and the regular Backspace method play quite heavily off of Space Bar's use.

I should probably ask why you would want to use return resource. Are there common situations where you use it? My guess would be post-harass management, after a split or something.

How do your Attack, etc. commands look like now? Have you tried using 1E, 2E, 3E? I find it to feel extremely smooth and quick, especially when controlling 3 or more army groups. If Control Group 1 was on " ` ", CG 2 on "1", CG3 on "2", and CG4 on "3",, then "W" would make for a great binding for attacking with multiple CG's. What prompted the changes? Was it due to pre-existing preferences? Or just bad locations in the layout for you?


So I decided not to change most of the attack buttons and stuff, but I *did* switch tilde and space bar, because as a lefty, hitting shift + S + space bar is really awkward, and shift + S + tilde is a lot easier.

But I am having one annoying problem with caps lock. Doing stuff with the caps lock control group only works when the button is going from "not caps locked" to "caps locked"; if my little green indicator light is on, hitting caps lock does nothing. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? I'm running OS X 10.8.3 and using a Razer Black Widow keyboard.
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 18:53:12
May 30 2013 18:45 GMT
#191
@Tritone

Hey, if the tilde switch feels better as a lefty, then by all means. If it feels better and it doesn't de-rail your layout then change it I say. If you ever decide to use the Camera (Layered Injects) method instead of the Backspace method, would you feel the need to make adjustments for that? Right now the keystrokes look like: Caps Lock, S, Shift(Hold)+Alt, A,S,D,F,Z,X C,V (clicking between each camera). The first half of it looks like a lot, but Caps Lock, S is done nearly simultaneously, and Shift(hold)+Alt is actually done simultaneously, so it isn't as slow as the keystrokes look, especially once you're used to it.

With the Backspace method, you can also cut out the use of Shift entirely by clicking between each base. It would look like (in default Alloy): Caps Lock, S+Space Bar, Click. S+Space Bar,Click again for each additional Hatchery. Much of this is also done with simultaneous keystrokes so it's fast. The only downside is that there is a rhythm to it; you must be on point when hitting that Click between the S+Space Bar step. This method cuts down on needing Shift, which I think speeds things up a bit, but like I said, there's some skill/practice involved. Not using Shift in this scenario also helps when you're susceptible to wandering Queens, as you'll only wind up with one Queen at the most if you make a mistake because you aren't Shift-queuing the Spawn Larva ability. The entire wandering issue is solved completely though by pressing W (Hold Position in default Alloy) after each cycle. It's very close to S on the keyboard, so it's easy to press at the end of a cycle.

The issue of the toggling Mac Caps Lock has come up before, but I don't think there was a solid solution found. I did do some looking around, and a potential fix might be to re-map Caps Lock similarly to the way Sharpkeys re-maps Windows keys. Given the choice, I personally wouldn't opt for playing games on a Mac, but I would still like to help find a solution to this since Mac users are in fact out there and want to play unhindered. Here are a couple links that might help, but I can't be entirely sure that it will remedy the problem as I'm not overly familiar with Mac (only used them for digital imaging/video editing programs in the past).

http://www.osxlatitude.com/remapping-keys-in-osx/

http://lifehacker.com/5882684/the-best-keyboard-remapper-for-mac-os-x

I hope something can be done about this, as Caps Lock is a great key to have at your disposal. If you're able to use a QWERTY or other type of PC keyboard with your Mac then perhaps that might make it easier? I'm not sure how Caps Lock would behave if used this way, but it might be worth a try.

Does anyone out there know of a solid fix for this?
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
May 30 2013 19:14 GMT
#192
On May 31 2013 03:45 eneyeseekay wrote:
If you're able to use a QWERTY or other type of PC keyboard with your Mac then perhaps that might make it easier? I'm not sure how Caps Lock would behave if used this way, but it might be worth a try.


I use a Razer Black Widow keyboard.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
May 31 2013 00:34 GMT
#193
5 games into using Alloy after playing slightly modified standard since launch, I'm having quite a tough time but I can already see the potential benefit here. I keep forgetting that I need to use the Alt key, so that's a problem on my part.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
eneyeseekay
Profile Joined March 2013
239 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-31 05:29:22
May 31 2013 05:29 GMT
#194
On May 31 2013 09:34 yakitate304 wrote:
5 games into using Alloy after playing slightly modified standard since launch, I'm having quite a tough time but I can already see the potential benefit here. I keep forgetting that I need to use the Alt key, so that's a problem on my part.


That's great! Is the difficulty mostly due to the fact that you're going from Standard to Alloy's version of an optimized Grid? If you want to get a better feel for using the Q-V keys (or any other keys for that matter), I'd suggest hopping into a custom game and doing some simple drills.
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-01 02:03:23
June 01 2013 02:02 GMT
#195
On May 31 2013 03:45 eneyeseekay wrote:The issue of the toggling Mac Caps Lock has come up before, but I don't think there was a solid solution found.
[...]
Does anyone out there know of a solid fix for this?


OK, I found a pretty simple solution. An app called PCKeyboardHack (and yes, despite the name, it works for OS X) can switch your capslock with backspace. It's working perfectly for me.

https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/pckeyboardhack.html.en

Hooray!
Antylamon
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1981 Posts
June 01 2013 02:43 GMT
#196
I never noticed this before, but why is Move bound to R? It's completely redundant because it actually takes one more action than simply right-clicking. It should be replaced with Stop, which is not redundant because Hold Position is much different; Stop cancels all other commands instead.
icww
Profile Joined June 2013
5 Posts
June 01 2013 03:02 GMT
#197
I've recently switched from Standard hotkeysetup to Element QWERTY Zerg. Really enjoying it so far. Thanks for putting the time into this.

I have encountered one problem that eludes me. For the rapidfire key for Element, its 'X'. I cannot get this to work at all. If I switch to Alloy, the rapidfire key 'S' works flawlessly. I checked the mapped hotkey under unit management for Element and it's set the same way as the Alloy version. I don't know what the problem is and could not find anybody reporting this problem in this thread. Any good guesses on what the problem is for the Element QWERTY version?
telfire
Profile Joined May 2010
United States415 Posts
June 01 2013 05:46 GMT
#198
On June 01 2013 11:43 Antylamon wrote:
I never noticed this before, but why is Move bound to R? It's completely redundant because it actually takes one more action than simply right-clicking. It should be replaced with Stop, which is not redundant because Hold Position is much different; Stop cancels all other commands instead.


It's not bound to R per se, but Element uses Grid, and move is R in grid, you can't change individual keys.

I highly recommend Alloy. I found it easier to grow accustomed to coming from standard hotkeys.

I thoroughly enjoy Alloy in fact. It has improved my mechanics a ton! Now if only my strategy could catch up....
icww
Profile Joined June 2013
5 Posts
June 02 2013 01:36 GMT
#199
found a solution to the rapid fire key. Apparently have to press shift before holding 'X' key. The grid profile doesn't let you get into the Zerg unit hotkeys, So that sucks to since creep tumor is bounded to A and S in Alloy.
yakitate304
Profile Joined April 2009
United States655 Posts
June 02 2013 01:38 GMT
#200
On May 31 2013 14:29 eneyeseekay wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 09:34 yakitate304 wrote:
5 games into using Alloy after playing slightly modified standard since launch, I'm having quite a tough time but I can already see the potential benefit here. I keep forgetting that I need to use the Alt key, so that's a problem on my part.


That's great! Is the difficulty mostly due to the fact that you're going from Standard to Alloy's version of an optimized Grid? If you want to get a better feel for using the Q-V keys (or any other keys for that matter), I'd suggest hopping into a custom game and doing some simple drills.

I've just been playing unranked games and practicing with my Clarity Gaming Community Team teammates. I've played about 15-20 games and my spending is pretty bad so far, but I'm getting more comfortable making buildings and units. Just need to get used to using the camera keys more, since I didn't utilize them very much when I played standard with F1-F4 cameras. I really like Alloy (moreso than Element), I'm just still clunky with it.
Yaki's Streaming Madness: twitch.tv/YakiSC ||| FRB Grand Tournament Organizer ||| @YakiStarCraft ||| Youtube.com/YakiStarCraft
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15772
Calm 2212
Mini 156
Rush 104
EffOrt 93
Trap 21
Bale 17
scan(afreeca) 17
Dota 2
febbydoto12
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
fl0m5586
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King54
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4203
Liquid`Hasu634
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1836
Beastyqt716
RotterdaM574
B2W.Neo536
shahzam284
C9.Mang0282
crisheroes183
IndyStarCraft 181
QueenE99
Trikslyr94
UpATreeSC60
Dewaltoss58
ToD41
ZombieGrub40
JuggernautJason20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
Other Games
Algost 4
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 30
• Michael_bg 16
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade997
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 52m
INu's Battles
14h 52m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
16h 52m
OSC
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 2h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.