• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:09
CEST 10:09
KST 17:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9760 users

[G]Zerg vs Protoss Baneling Revolution - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
May 19 2012 03:56 GMT
#21
Woww you hold immortal/sentry allin with mutas? I fiind even if I take my 5 6 gas and then toss does immortal/sentry allin I die. I hold it more than not, but with only by going 4 gas roachling, and making sure not to drone or tech too hard, and eventually burrow move. I've had trouble with double robo immortal all ins though, maybe mutas are good against that? Love to see a re of you holding immortal/sentry allin.

Maybe banelings are the answer to vortex though. Its really intersting, I think in a month or two every zerg will either get banes or not to counter vortex, and it sounds like banes are becoming the more poular choice vs more infestor. FB can be gay but I think that the 10+ bl 'counter' ht, you just ff the ht moving up to fb.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
May 19 2012 18:58 GMT
#22
On May 19 2012 12:56 Belial88 wrote:
Woww you hold immortal/sentry allin with mutas? I fiind even if I take my 5 6 gas and then toss does immortal/sentry allin I die. I hold it more than not, but with only by going 4 gas roachling, and making sure not to drone or tech too hard, and eventually burrow move. I've had trouble with double robo immortal all ins though, maybe mutas are good against that? Love to see a re of you holding immortal/sentry allin.

Maybe banelings are the answer to vortex though. Its really intersting, I think in a month or two every zerg will either get banes or not to counter vortex, and it sounds like banes are becoming the more poular choice vs more infestor. FB can be gay but I think that the 10+ bl 'counter' ht, you just ff the ht moving up to fb.


Well normally I can get muta's in time. But tbh I don't know the best timing as you have to start lair at about 7 minutes to get the mutalisks out in time. Not sure of any other ways as infestors never works for me, roach/hydra can as long as you can avoid an engagement in a choke. It's a stupid push . Another thing I know that works vs that immortal all in is baneling drops :D.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
May 19 2012 23:34 GMT
#23
I've felt the best way to hold immortal sentry was ling/roach, and when he pushes out with just immortal/sentry before any warp-ins, you kill off some of the sentries or at least the energy. You just get 200/200 vs his push, and eventually you win, but I think burrow move is really the best against it (usually though it comes too late, but the idea is to hold with just mass roach/ling at first, and then burrow move really seal the deal if he's really attcking hard).

http://www.gomtv.net/2012gsls2/vod/67148
avenge vs sniper being the best example of the this (avenge all-in immortal/sentry, kills the third, sniper gets burrow move eventually and destroys avenge's army easily when he tries to finish the game, and then he goes on to win later on after retaking his third).

ive never really seen hydras work, but i've heard some people say they are the answer (maybe it was you lol).
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
grungust
Profile Joined September 2010
United States325 Posts
May 20 2012 00:26 GMT
#24
Love your guides Blade. Great guide once again, and something I'm very interest in trying. Going to watch some of the replays now actually
Flash 하나님
Aocowns
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway6070 Posts
May 20 2012 01:07 GMT
#25
I must say, this looks really really promising. I am dying to see if I can get it to work ^^ Bookmarked, definetly going to read a lot more into this
I'm a salt-lord and hater of mech and ForGG, don't take me seriously, it's just my salt-humour speaking i swear. |KadaverBB best TL gaoler| |~IdrA's #1 fan~| SetGuitarsToKill and Duckk are my martyr heroes |
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-20 02:03:57
May 20 2012 02:02 GMT
#26
http://drop.sc/183540

Here's a zvp I just played, 800 pt masters.

So I was considering doing your whole baneling thing, i got baneling speed when the big battle occurred (i dont know how important watchign the rep is, i just tell you what happened, its just rep evidence for what i'm saying here). I know 30 banelings is not even 20 supply, but I just am too gas starved when the mothership comes out, and I think more broodlords and infestors are better. I knew he was getting a mothership (he was on 4 bases, if he didnt it would just be easier for me, so i didnt particularly have to scout it), so i got more infestors.

In the final battle, I had a ton of queens for support, and lots of broodlords. I know you say FB is a big problem, but that's why I just get a ton of broodlords, and zero corruptors - you just can't FB 10+ infestors when there is queen support, mass spines (i didnt have it this game because the battle happened early, the lategame happened very quickly due to him massing phoenix early game and fast third), and most of all, 13+ broodlords that just prevent anything from getting that close. As he brought his mothership forward to vortex, I FG'd it and just desperately spammed NP NP NP on it. Eventually, I got it.

That's all the micro I really did in this battle, a-moved my army, threw down a bunch of IT and FG and spammed transfuse, then when the mothership arrived, I Fg it out of range of my broodlords and spam NP on it until I got one off, and that was GG. I know it can be hard to get a NP into vortex off when you have a ton of colossi, but that's why I made so many infestors and broodlords. Just the mess of it all makes it hard for him to klil ALL of the infestors before one gets a NP off, and if I saw I couldnt get the NP off or his mothership getting too close, I would have backed off and laid down a ton of IT as I retreat.

I find the best way to deal with vortex, is more infestors, and really good energy management on your infestors. As long as you are never below about half energy on all your infestors, you should do fine in any battle, because you can just spam ITs and back off. It's when you run out of energy that you are fucked, but it's the trade off of banelings vs more infestors to make sure you never run out of energy.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
May 21 2012 02:31 GMT
#27
On May 20 2012 11:02 Belial88 wrote:
http://drop.sc/183540

Here's a zvp I just played, 800 pt masters.

So I was considering doing your whole baneling thing, i got baneling speed when the big battle occurred (i dont know how important watchign the rep is, i just tell you what happened, its just rep evidence for what i'm saying here). I know 30 banelings is not even 20 supply, but I just am too gas starved when the mothership comes out, and I think more broodlords and infestors are better. I knew he was getting a mothership (he was on 4 bases, if he didnt it would just be easier for me, so i didnt particularly have to scout it), so i got more infestors.

In the final battle, I had a ton of queens for support, and lots of broodlords. I know you say FB is a big problem, but that's why I just get a ton of broodlords, and zero corruptors - you just can't FB 10+ infestors when there is queen support, mass spines (i didnt have it this game because the battle happened early, the lategame happened very quickly due to him massing phoenix early game and fast third), and most of all, 13+ broodlords that just prevent anything from getting that close. As he brought his mothership forward to vortex, I FG'd it and just desperately spammed NP NP NP on it. Eventually, I got it.

That's all the micro I really did in this battle, a-moved my army, threw down a bunch of IT and FG and spammed transfuse, then when the mothership arrived, I Fg it out of range of my broodlords and spam NP on it until I got one off, and that was GG. I know it can be hard to get a NP into vortex off when you have a ton of colossi, but that's why I made so many infestors and broodlords. Just the mess of it all makes it hard for him to klil ALL of the infestors before one gets a NP off, and if I saw I couldnt get the NP off or his mothership getting too close, I would have backed off and laid down a ton of IT as I retreat.

I find the best way to deal with vortex, is more infestors, and really good energy management on your infestors. As long as you are never below about half energy on all your infestors, you should do fine in any battle, because you can just spam ITs and back off. It's when you run out of energy that you are fucked, but it's the trade off of banelings vs more infestors to make sure you never run out of energy.


You were so gas starved because you made so many roaches and kept trying to put on pressure/kill him. Yes getting banelings after making a ton of roaches and keep making roaches is going to leave you more gas starved then normal. Also going mutalisks vs phoenix was a bad idea xD, when I see phoenix (4+) I will make some corruptors and no mutalisks and go straight into infestors.

Your infestors were super late as well, almost 16 minutes into the game and 0 infestors. This is very odd to me as you aren't even slowly making infestors it seems you just try to mass them all at once xD.

When you get infestors that late you will never be able to afford that because you are spending so much gas to get them all at once more so then slowly. By this I mean, I start off getting 6 infestors and it builds as the game goes on. You have to spend all your gas on them whenever you want them because you dont' build on it, you have 2 by 17 minutes into the game which you should have way more of by then. By 18 you have 9 which is good, but could have had it sooner if you had started infestor production way sooner.

Also that toss should not have let that neural work lol. That game in general was kind of a bad one to try to show why you prefer infestors over both. He also let you get 6 bases almost uncontested, idk that game was just kinda bad to showcase why you disagree. If you are going to go heavy roach/ling aggression and not get infestors until 17 minutes into the game then yes getting banelings will be insanely hard, if not impossible if you want brood support ^^.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
May 21 2012 03:17 GMT
#28
You were so gas starved because you made so many roaches and kept trying to put on pressure/kill him. Yes getting banelings after making a ton of roaches and keep making roaches is going to leave you more gas starved then normal. Also going mutalisks vs phoenix was a bad idea xD, when I see phoenix (4+) I will make some corruptors and no mutalisks and go straight into infestors.


Well I made a lot of roaches because I felt he took his third too quickly. I think my low supply at the 8:00 mark (i think i was at 58, ugh) and then me droning really hard as opposed to making units in response to his stargate play (i think i droned even past 9:00) resulted in a sort of half-assed play in where I tried to put on pressure, but after I had already droned really hard and made minimal units. Yea, that was probably a bad call I guess, but I was just reacting to what I felt was a greedy fast third. I guess on any other map, what he did would not have worked.

I actually originally made that spire for defense against his stargate opener, which was clearly becoming more than just 1 or 2 air units. I made mutas, along with roach/ling, in response to his greedy fast third with no stalkers, but then he made a ton of phoenix. I stopped going mutas and went to infestors immediately.

Really, all of this, was based on his stupid third with no units. But I guess I should have figured his phoenixes as proper AA, and with his air fleet, he did have a somewhat normal army value/size taking a third. Plus, that map is just shit for both mutas and aggression, Toss just takes easy third on that map. I should have done as much as possible to race to hive, really. lesson learned.

When you get infestors that late you will never be able to afford that because you are spending so much gas to get them all at once more so then slowly. By this I mean, I start off getting 6 infestors and it builds as the game goes on. You have to spend all your gas on them whenever you want them because you dont' build on it, you have 2 by 17 minutes into the game which you should have way more of by then. By 18 you have 9 which is good, but could have had it sooner if you had started infestor production way sooner.


My infestors were late due to going mutas. I went mutas only because I saw him take a super fast third. Lesson learned, a ton of stargate units count as army just as much as some stalkers. I just was reacting to his fast third (it wasnt that fast, but kind of fast) and taking it only with like 6 sentries and 2 zealots, then 1-2 immortals. I just really thought he was taking a greedy third, I didn't take into account that those phoenixes just lift up any mass roach or helps against mutas.

I generally make a bunch of infestors all at once though. I'll take your tip, I'll tech towards infestors quicker now on, and just build up the count instead of 8+ all at once, and instead use the gas for faster broodlrods. i guess. i dont know, I feel like I dont have trouble. I'll just keep it in mind.

Thanks for looking at the rep though.

Also that toss should not have let that neural work lol. That game in general was kind of a bad one to try to show why you prefer infestors over both. He also let you get 6 bases almost uncontested, idk that game was just kinda bad to showcase why you disagree. If you are going to go heavy roach/ling aggression and not get infestors until 17 minutes into the game then yes getting banelings will be insanely hard, if not impossible if you want brood support ^^.


I'll try to play more games, and see if NP and more infestors doesn't work for me, but I don't really seem to have a problem with vortex. As long as you really respect the mothership, and make sure you always have lots of energy before a battle occurs, if the mothership comes by, you NP it, and if it starts to get too close, you run away and spam IT to cover your retreat.

I think the reason I won the game was because Toss invested so much into phoenixes though. You can see he only has 1 colossi when he started to push out, and like 2-3 when the big battle happened. I knew I had won the game the second I saw how many phoenixes he had and him trying to rape my muta flock, especially when he got the anion upgrade. I knew I was behind when I made so many roaches against his third and it doing nothing, so then I went mutas because I figured maybe sentries and the map deny my roach aggression, but it wont deny my mutas. You see my mutas do damage, but then his mass phoenix with 6 range are revealed, and I just basically lol because I know I just fast track to 6 bases, bl/infestor, and win, because he won't have 4+ colossi to push out soon enough.

Thats how I got the 6 bases, him going so heavy into air.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
chebhe
Profile Joined May 2012
United States113 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-16 04:15:23
June 16 2012 04:12 GMT
#29
ultra hydra baneling is a good combo. You need something to deal with forcefield I think. Flanks help yeah but good forcefields can still beat rolling banelings. I also like getting baneling drops while teching broodlord since it allows me to be aggressive with that army. I don't think simply getting banelings in themselves is that good unless you are countering mothership.
Mebd: how are you fucking helping? you think i'm joking? you think I don't regularly cut myself to relieve stress? want me to email you pictures of my bloody mouse
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 474
Hyuk 300
910 132
Dewaltoss 68
Killer 33
ZergMaN 30
NotJumperer 27
Bale 25
yabsab 16
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe120
League of Legends
JimRising 496
Counter-Strike
olofmeister608
ceh9530
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King166
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1953
Khaldor264
Other Games
singsing787
WinterStarcraft408
Happy340
Sick211
Livibee186
ArmadaUGS49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick657
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream300
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH100
• LUISG 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2316
League of Legends
• Stunt522
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 51m
Stellar Fest
4h 51m
The PondCast
1d 1h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.