• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:06
CEST 18:06
KST 01:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8343 users

[G] Zerg versus Zerg: Glaive Guillotine - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Natalya
Profile Joined December 2011
Belgium287 Posts
December 26 2011 21:40 GMT
#61
On December 27 2011 00:04 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
Infestors are up at the same as muta does. He take his third after the first spawn of muta, so do I with my infestors. So thatt he has, in the worst case, an expo something like a minute before me. Which is no big deal given that infestors are so much more cost efficient.


Not really. You need to build up energy on the infestors too. I pop out 10 mutas the same time you get out 6 infestors. You only have 6 FG, and you have to walk slow-ass infestors.

Also, if you are going infestors, it means no ground army. It means I just take my third. You, on the other hand, can't really take your third - sure you can try, but then the mutas pop and just kill it. It would be half okay if you massed roaches, but if you are going infestors, you can't get any roaches.

There's a reason no one goes 2 base infestor anymore in ZvZ. It's why you'll never see Nestea or Losira go 2 base infestor, or any korean for that matter, in ZvZ.

You sound like you are venting more than keeping on the discussion. You can PM me, I'm well aware some masters players disagree with me. A lot of masters disagree. I just try to understand what the best players seem to do, like Nestea and Losira, and the rest of the koreans. It's also part personal experience.

This conversation we're having Natalya, is ridiculous anyways, because 2 base muta is a bad build, it's kind of what I was arguing with the OP about, although it's not as bad as 2 base infestor. I was just arguing in defense of the OP, that his 2 base muta build is better than 2 base infestor, so no, you make no sense, but this whole thread is about the OP's 2 base muta build. You are the one that is disagreeing by saying the OP's 2 base muta build is wrong.

If I saw someone go 2 base infestor, I wouldn't go 2 base muta. I never go 2 base muta. I'm simply saying it's the 'better' 2 base build, but I never go lair before third in ZvZ (except against roach/ling hatch tech all-ins). If I see someone going 2 base infestor, I would just take a fast third as you will have zero ground army due to teching to infestors, and then I would mass roaches and just roll over you. That's why at the top level you don't see mass infestors, you see people go 200/200 roaches or roach/hydra before getting infestors, because you can max out on roach way much quicker than getting infestors, while the roaches allow you map control vs infestor play. If you go 2 base roach, I just go 3 base roach/hydra, and hold your all-in basically.



Here another example. How could 2 base muta be a bad build when a few weeks ago 90% of high master Z would go for it and still many Z are playing it? You really think you can be right while 90% of the ladder is wrong? Common, if people do a build, there must be a reason for it. You should aim at finding that reason instead of sticking to "the ladder is wrong". And i've seen some koreans go 2 base muta in gsl this week and I wonder if I didnt see it also during bliz cup.

Other things proving you do not really try to find the point in my arguments. You say you'll be countering my 2 base infestor by not going muta and going a fast third. But if you take a third after you saw infestor tech it is not a fast third anymore. You cant know if I'm going muta or infestor before u got a lair urself (cant ov scout that late in the game i guess). So how could you counter my build by not going muta or by going fast 3rd? You simply cant.

So I had little to no trouble getting a third vs mutas player, but well, you wont believe me anyway. You say I dont have ground army. If u take a third and go muta, how do you have a ground army of your own?

And well, I can agree on your point that 3 base before lair is good most of the time. About the "it's easier to max on raoches" idea, I'll hapilly wait for your mass of roaches to attack into my spines + fungal. I could have 10 or 15 less roaches at the time you attack and still hold it imo. Imo 3 bases infestors > 3 bases roaches but if you go 3 bases before lair, you will want to be quite mineral heavy and have late gas (due to the fact you need minerals for hatch, queens and drones), and then once you've good saturation it is very tempting to spam roaches (getting three bases then wait for infestors would be too greedy). And if you start making roaches before infestors, you're going to have very few infestors, and too late to build a good energy pool. I think that's why you'll see mass roaches games out of quick 3 bases.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 00:24:25
December 27 2011 00:12 GMT
#62
On ladder you can do any build with decent macro and be fine, I don't know what you are trying to argue. I'm only basing my argument on personal experience, solid analysis, and perhaps mmost influentially, on what nestea and losira always do.

And I would lose 10 times out of 10 playing nestea - not even, destiny, crazymoving, tlo - going fast third vs them, or 2 base muta vs their 2 base r/h.

If you watch koreans though, especially macro players llike losira and nestea, you'll see that fast third is the future of ZvZ.

I'm not saying that 2 base muta is such a bad build you'll autolose. I'm saying when played correctly, against someone of similar skill, its better than any other 2 base build (despite july losing, his build got him ahead of yugioh before yugioh out multitasked him), and that fast third is better than any 2 base lair build, including 2 base muta.

Its not hard to fathom. Take a third and defend with hydras against 2 base roach. Take a third a defend with spores against 2 base muta. Take a third and mass roaches and drones against 2 base infestor.

No, I don't take a third as a response to your infestors. I took the third as a response to you getting 2 base lair - I don't make hydras or mutas but rather mass roaches when I scout you going infestors, and contain you. Even 2 base pure roach is better than 2 base infestor, that's why koreans go roach/hydra instead of quick infestors, and onky get infestors after taking their third.

Your arguing with the wrong person. I'm not the guy who wrote the original post. You should talk to the OP. I just think 2 base muta is the best 2 base build, and I agree with you that its not optimal. I suppose we disagree about 2 base infesot vs 2 base muta, and I don't care to argue it (it would be like arguing 3 rax vs 1 base roach opening as a better macro opener), but in such a case, neither player has a third or ground army, but the muta player gets total map control and get his third much quicker. With decent micro, the muta player will win a fight, but he could just go his own roach infestor with better econ.

When I go fast third vs your 2 base infestor, why would I ever attack you? I contai. You, grab a fourth, and then get my own infestors. Ill get broodlords eventually. The advantage is that. I see you are going infestors instead of a third or mass roach, so I just completely drone up while denying your third. Your 2 base infestor will no way beat 3 base pure roach, particualrly because even if you win the battle, I just remax instantly and trade more with your dying economy. Once I've contained you, or even just significantly denied your third, I get my own infestors, and win.

Hell, its just a matter of I get my third before you, and because you can't kill me for doing so, I'm ahead. That's it, that's all I'm saying, the build ends up ahead. Anything vcan still happen and you can still win, I'm just saying going 3 base before lair is better than 2 base lair.

How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
December 27 2011 00:16 GMT
#63
Here's the replay of VIBE doing a 3 base roach/hydra build. Once he gets 3rd base up I feel like I have to kill that 3rd base or lose. You can't get enough gas to make enough banelings to kill hydras and have enough mutas to stop roaches.
http://drop.sc/79899

On December 27 2011 03:38 Kinshuk wrote:
SO i have a question - would you recommend going mutas to deal with mutas or is sticking with roach hydra infestor still fine... lately i've been having tons of problems against mutas especially because i cannot get my third or fourth up more so on large maps due to lack of mobility. This also forces me to just all in on 2 or 3 base and hope for the best.

If you have 2 base vs a muta user. You should have lost the game. I would do a 2 base roach/hydra or roach/ queen infestor timing attack and get it over with.


On December 27 2011 03:27 Iksf wrote:
Please correct me if im wrong but iv always opened with a pretty roach centric style and have really never had a problem with an equally skilled 2 base muta user.

The way I go about dealing with it is applying a lot of pressure with roaches and speedlings at around 7-8 mins. This forces a lot of spine crawlers generally as mutalisks will not be out in time (or if they are he will just die for obvious reasons). It is ofc perfectly possible for the muta user to hold the aggression if they are willing to delay their spire a bit (though quite commonly they just straight up die, but you discussed dealing with things like this in your guide.)

However I ensure all my roaches survive the push, not committing at all if there are too many spines. With my roaches I will not let you get a third until you have a substantial flock of mutas, honestly under 10 mutas my roaches simply do not care about, above that i can extend their life by use of burrow etc before finally retreating. Additionally if the mutas are attacking my roaches I can skimp on turrets just that bit longer to pump more drones/units and if they go for straight for my base their third will be even further delayed.

Using these roaches I can almost always guarantee a MUCH faster third, sometimes even 4th and hold off with spores and queens until my own spire completes. Then a switch into mutas myself, as well as considering I also have useful roach tech, (generally warren+speed+burrow, maybe +1) leaves me way ahead.

Is there something im missing, am i just playing bad people/inexperianced ML users or is this something you just don't really see?

I can't see how you can take a 3rd with mutas on the map. If you don't make much roaches, spines will easily take care of the threat. If you make a lot of roaches, then they're no way you can afford a 3rd, plus the money it takes to cover your bases with spores. Making spines doesn't hurt the muta user, it doesn't cost any gas.
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
December 27 2011 09:53 GMT
#64
On December 27 2011 09:16 T.O.P. wrote:
Here's the replay of VIBE doing a 3 base roach/hydra build. Once he gets 3rd base up I feel like I have to kill that 3rd base or lose. You can't get enough gas to make enough banelings to kill hydras and have enough mutas to stop roaches.
http://drop.sc/79899



To me, that game shows exactly why knowing that the opponent doesn't have a third is so important. I tend to park a pair of Zerglings there just to intercept early drones, and if he takes a third I should scout it much sooner, before you did anyway. When you scouted it the third was already up and had a ton of creep there, I would've personally contested it harder, but ViBE just gained himself an eco advantage at the start that you had to catch up to and you had no choice but to drone. Which was a very good situation for him.

Once he gets Roaches up and his third is already up with a Sporecrawler, and Hydralisks on the way. Then yes, you will have to play extra hard even things up. I would think maybe harass the extractors for limiting his gas intake some, otherwise you will just get so far behind any frontal attack will just crush you. The third needs to be late or denied by a large Zergling force if it was going down before the lair finished, and perhaps you just needed to get a third at roughly the same time as he had to even things up because he sure wasn't aggressive towards you in the least.

Thanks for showing me a high level replay of 2base -> lateish third Muta versus quick 3 base Roach Hydra though. It really opens my eyes about how a good R/H player should play and how much more you have to defend in that scenario than you can be out there attacking the third with your Mutalisks. <3
Iksf
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom444 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 10:16:38
December 27 2011 10:05 GMT
#65
On December 27 2011 09:16 T.O.P. wrote:
Here's the replay of VIBE doing a 3 base roach/hydra build. Once he gets 3rd base up I feel like I have to kill that 3rd base or lose. You can't get enough gas to make enough banelings to kill hydras and have enough mutas to stop roaches.
http://drop.sc/79899

Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 03:38 Kinshuk wrote:
SO i have a question - would you recommend going mutas to deal with mutas or is sticking with roach hydra infestor still fine... lately i've been having tons of problems against mutas especially because i cannot get my third or fourth up more so on large maps due to lack of mobility. This also forces me to just all in on 2 or 3 base and hope for the best.

If you have 2 base vs a muta user. You should have lost the game. I would do a 2 base roach/hydra or roach/ queen infestor timing attack and get it over with.


Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 03:27 Iksf wrote:
Please correct me if im wrong but iv always opened with a pretty roach centric style and have really never had a problem with an equally skilled 2 base muta user.

The way I go about dealing with it is applying a lot of pressure with roaches and speedlings at around 7-8 mins. This forces a lot of spine crawlers generally as mutalisks will not be out in time (or if they are he will just die for obvious reasons). It is ofc perfectly possible for the muta user to hold the aggression if they are willing to delay their spire a bit (though quite commonly they just straight up die, but you discussed dealing with things like this in your guide.)

However I ensure all my roaches survive the push, not committing at all if there are too many spines. With my roaches I will not let you get a third until you have a substantial flock of mutas, honestly under 10 mutas my roaches simply do not care about, above that i can extend their life by use of burrow etc before finally retreating. Additionally if the mutas are attacking my roaches I can skimp on turrets just that bit longer to pump more drones/units and if they go for straight for my base their third will be even further delayed.

Using these roaches I can almost always guarantee a MUCH faster third, sometimes even 4th and hold off with spores and queens until my own spire completes. Then a switch into mutas myself, as well as considering I also have useful roach tech, (generally warren+speed+burrow, maybe +1) leaves me way ahead.

Is there something im missing, am i just playing bad people/inexperianced ML users or is this something you just don't really see?

I can't see how you can take a 3rd with mutas on the map. If you don't make much roaches, spines will easily take care of the threat. If you make a lot of roaches, then they're no way you can afford a 3rd, plus the money it takes to cover your bases with spores. Making spines doesn't hurt the muta user, it doesn't cost any gas.


Mutas arnt out in time. I take my third at about 7:20 every single ZvZ unless there is a very good reason not too and then do a pressure to cover it. Taking a 3rd once mutas are out is very hard but theres little they can do if you take it before they have mutas out. Also mutas are surprisingly mineral heavy if you go for extremely quick mutas. If you go for a very fast spire you can definitely get mineral blocked if your forced to make spines and lings to hold a push. In addition they also lose a drone for each spine remember. It actually takes a lot of spines to hold off about 10-12 roaches and a pack of speedlings, especially on maps like metalopolis.

By pressuring the muta user like this you can gain an economic and map control (until mutas) advantage even without doing real damage. You also have an opportunity to kill the enemy zerg if they are unprepared for the aggression
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
December 30 2011 16:23 GMT
#66
You can take a normally timed 50-60 third against 2 base muta and have spores up in time at the third. I don't like roach/hydra against mutas, I think mutas are the better composition in a straight up battle, but it's 3 base vs 2 base then and probably roach/hydra favored if he can deny the muta's third.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 642
ComeBackTV 559
SteadfastSC427
Rex103
CosmosSc2 49
EnkiAlexander 41
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 427
ProTech145
Rex 103
CosmosSc2 49
UpATreeSC 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 44074
Jaedong 1332
Hyuk 1200
Mini 648
Soma 506
Horang2 484
BeSt 479
Soulkey 317
Larva 306
Rush 290
[ Show more ]
ZerO 267
Last 205
Snow 200
hero 81
Liquid`Ret 56
Mind 56
Free 36
Killer 35
sorry 33
Terrorterran 23
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 22
yabsab 21
HiyA 18
Shine 18
Trap 16
Dota 2
Gorgc7888
qojqva1470
Dendi891
Counter-Strike
Fnx 859
x6flipin778
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2558
Khaldor1972
Liquid`Hasu0
Other Games
ArmadaUGS3136
singsing1841
B2W.Neo990
hiko809
byalli454
KnowMe141
Liquid`VortiX117
QueenE89
Mew2King53
Trikslyr40
Railgan16
ZerO(Twitch)12
Chillindude1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream99
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 23
• mYiSmile123
• Adnapsc2 7
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix13
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2813
League of Legends
• Nemesis2025
• Jankos1122
• TFBlade737
Other Games
• Shiphtur322
• WagamamaTV261
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 54m
OSC
20h 54m
Stellar Fest
20h 54m
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 20h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.