About Me (feel free to skip this part):
I'm a mid++ level diamond Random/Zerg player. I haven't played much in the past 2 months (Went 10-2 last set of games I played two weeks ago and went from 1000 to 1200 in a snap), but I was fairly hardcore in the beta and hit diamond within 25 games on release. When the top diamond player was 1600, I was 1000 (as random). I say I haven't played much, but that has a lot to do with how much time I've spent studying SC2. I've watched/studied hundreds of hours of high level streams/replays/etc. (Why the fuck would I do this? Because I'm a mapmaker, which is also the reason I'm making this map). My best race by far is zerg, and I am good at terran simply because they are very intuitive to me. But my protoss play is absolutely terrible. That is why I need your help.
Why I need your help:
No, I don't need your help to become a better player. What I need is you to help me understand what makes a map protoss favored. Two reasons: First, it simply helps me as a mapmaker to make more balanced maps; second, because I am trying to make a map that is utterly protoss favored. I have already made the layout for an utterly zerg favored map, something that took me far too long to do (I am not finishing the zerg favored map yet because they don't need it, but they did when I started working on it). BTW, I am making imbalanced maps on purpose simply as an exercise, because I feel it helps me become a better mapmaker. But I also think there's at least a handful of you who would totally enjoy having a map that can help you defeat one of your friends who you normally couldn't, especially since protoss has seen better days.
What I already understand about protoss-favored maps:
- Plenty of narrow places that increase the usefulness of
- Force Field
- Psi Storm
- Force Field
- An in-base natural with very hard to defend thirds (this is a great boon PvZ)
- Larger maps that help them utilize the full potential of Warp Gates (And, in turn, bases that are fairly far away from each other, but this really just hurts zerg and terran more than it hurts protoss, more than actually "helping" protoss).
- Areas for Proxy Pylons where the pylon power goes directly into important areas like the back of their base.
- Tight offensive areas where they can drastically reduce the surface area to demote ling surrounds
- Destructible rocks near enemy base to help void rays charge up before entering
- A lack of good counter-attack paths for zerg to utilize
- I'd say that a protoss favoured map is a map with a lot of cliffs, protoss units tend to make the most out of cliffs with stalkers, colossi and carriers.
Ok maybe I know more than I give myself credit for... I already drew a map layout that incorporates all of these features, but I still need your help with more map features that help protoss more than they help the other races.