• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:49
CEST 01:49
KST 08:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9202 users

[M] (2) Galápagos - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
July 03 2012 11:47 GMT
#41
Hello TL,

Just wanted to let you ya'll know I'm busy with a few changes after which this map will also be published on NA (thanks to iGrok for offering!). I'm currently toying around with two different alternatives to the current layout: one with the middle rocks still in the middle but further apart and with gaps (meh) and I'm also taking WniO's suggestion and playing around with that. Hopefully I'll be able to get something that doesn't feel so base-racey.

Guardian85: That makes looking through Elton John's sunglasses on LSD sound very boring. The lighting is currently being tweaked but I suspect the saturation will stay where it is. I love strong colours and I love working with them and pushing them to the limit. It makes me happy.

Aunvilgod: Hey, that's really cool, pretty convincing result. I really like the idea and I'm going to try it out - it might be contained to that general area though, I want to keep the total doodads <1000. Thanks for posting that, sir!

eTcetRa: Thanks for the feedback - I'm currently re-working that center and trying different things out, ramps to the middel being one of them. A few people have suggested it and whilst I'm still not fond of the idea, I'm going to try and make it work before discarding it. Thanks for the input sir.

IronManSC: Yeah you're right. Mar Sara turns out to be really red/pink on here, but I'm currently working to get this lighting into the same value range of existing light sets. Thanks!
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
July 03 2012 13:08 GMT
#42
The map theme is beautiful!

The brightness can be a bit annoying in the main base, but I got over it, perhaps tune it down a tiny bit. The whole island is just wonderfully built and aesthetically I think you have a real talent. One thing though:

- Please consider removing those Terran Dominon Flags. Their animation is distracting!

Now for the balance:

- The natural is very choky, which makes is extremely easy to take and defend, which is great for macro style plays.
- The main zone is great for me (as zerg) but I can imagine it is a bit small.
- The fourth and third are both equally easy to take and nearly equally difficult to defend, they motivate a beautiful macro play.
- The rush distance is a bit long, but this seems to become the trend and if it's a designer choice there is nothing wrong with it.
- The geyser placement in the natural is unique, don't know how else to say it.
- Important: This map demotivates drop play (overlord, nydus worm, medivac and warp prisms) due to the small air space and the limited places to land forces. Consider increasing the main landing area and perhaps increasing the air space around the whole map.

I really enjoyed playing on this map. Good luck with getting it polished!
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
Praetorial
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States4241 Posts
July 03 2012 13:29 GMT
#43
This is by far the most beautiful map I have ever lain eyes upon.

My prediction: future GSL map, winner of MotM.
FOR GREAT JUSTICE! Bans for the ban gods!
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
July 03 2012 17:45 GMT
#44
Mabye try agria or bel'shir lighting?
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
xTrim
Profile Joined April 2011
472 Posts
July 03 2012 18:03 GMT
#45
Bro is that a 3 minutes walking distance? Isn't it too much?
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
July 03 2012 18:04 GMT
#46
Sweeett map, one of the best I've seen in a while.

My two complaints are that the split paths are awfully annoying and the natural mineral/gas layout is bad. For the latter, I suggest just making the mineral line a normal mineral line that players are used to. If you're concerned about the gas being tanked, just move it so its near the ramp. You might have to increase the size of the main and natural (subsequently the third too) in order to make it fit, but I think it is worth it so there is a comfortable amount of space and the minerals are normal.

On the previous, I tend not to like split paths as they encourage base trades and dumb situations if both players attack. However I do like the split more than Daybreak, because the expansion pattern almost requires it. So my two ideas to solve this are to either add a 1x ramp near the tower leading to the other side (so the split paths aren't as long) or you could do a middle like Asgard from brood war, with 3x ramps and rocks. Like this:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
July 03 2012 18:07 GMT
#47
Too many destructible rocks and not enough open spaces IMO. The map obliges you to take out those rocks before attacking, unless you enjoy funnelling your units through those two entrances from the high grounds.
I like the clear water. Reminds me of the beach
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
July 03 2012 18:08 GMT
#48
On July 04 2012 03:07 sorrowptoss wrote:
Too many destructible rocks and not enough open spaces IMO. The map obliges you to take out those rocks before attacking, unless you enjoy funnelling your units through those two entrances from the high grounds.
I like the clear water. Reminds me of the beach


Going to argue that the rocks add a dimension to the game that requires positioning, but in no way do you have to break them to attack. There are lots of open spaces, you just can't engage around the rock chokes.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Syphon8
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada298 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 14:00:31
July 04 2012 13:58 GMT
#49
Without play-testing it, the only thing I'd really have to say is that there seems to be too much airspace on the sides. I'd take 8 off the left and right.

On July 04 2012 03:08 monitor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2012 03:07 sorrowptoss wrote:
Too many destructible rocks and not enough open spaces IMO. The map obliges you to take out those rocks before attacking, unless you enjoy funnelling your units through those two entrances from the high grounds.
I like the clear water. Reminds me of the beach


Going to argue that the rocks add a dimension to the game that requires positioning, but in no way do you have to break them to attack. There are lots of open spaces, you just can't engage around the rock chokes.


I agree, and also add that the way the rocks are setup in the middle allows you to take down just 1 to funnel small units through.
',:/
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
July 06 2012 22:04 GMT
#50
Hello TL

Galápagos has been updated! I've used the solution suggested by WniO and monitor, adding ramps to the center but blocking them off with rocks. All other rocks have been removed. There are a lot of small additional changes, including lighting tweaks and increasing the mains. See the changelog for all the changes. I hope the new version is better and that is more fun. Any feeback would be greatly apprecaited!

Callyn: Thank you for the excellent feedback! I've increased the size of the mains and fixed the natural resource layout. I hope it plays out better! Any replays would also be greatly appreciated, I don't get time to play. Thank you again, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

Praetorial: haha god forbid. It would be insulting to people who know what they're doing

IronManSC: They're better. I went through them all and the best were actually Tyrador and Tarsonis, but even they made the map look real ugly. I've almost completely redone the lighting, eliminating the brightness and being far more consistent on different graphics settings. I'd love to hear your feedback!

monitor: Thanks for the feedback! I've addressed both o your concerns and hopefully these solutions are better. I liked the Asgard solution best for now, as it incentivizes alternate scouting paths to check watchtowers. I've kept the ramps kinda small and blocked them with rocks, but I think it'll work out fine because the center is now open. I've also changed the mineral layout at the natural, it's definitely better but I'm not sure it's optimal, one gas feels a little far away. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I really appreciate them.
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
July 07 2012 00:34 GMT
#51
On July 07 2012 07:04 SeinGalton wrote:
Hello TL

Galápagos has been updated! I've used the solution suggested by WniO and monitor, adding ramps to the center but blocking them off with rocks. All other rocks have been removed. There are a lot of small additional changes, including lighting tweaks and increasing the mains. See the changelog for all the changes. I hope the new version is better and that is more fun. Any feeback would be greatly apprecaited!

Callyn: Thank you for the excellent feedback! I've increased the size of the mains and fixed the natural resource layout. I hope it plays out better! Any replays would also be greatly appreciated, I don't get time to play. Thank you again, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

Praetorial: haha god forbid. It would be insulting to people who know what they're doing

IronManSC: They're better. I went through them all and the best were actually Tyrador and Tarsonis, but even they made the map look real ugly. I've almost completely redone the lighting, eliminating the brightness and being far more consistent on different graphics settings. I'd love to hear your feedback!

monitor: Thanks for the feedback! I've addressed both o your concerns and hopefully these solutions are better. I liked the Asgard solution best for now, as it incentivizes alternate scouting paths to check watchtowers. I've kept the ramps kinda small and blocked them with rocks, but I think it'll work out fine because the center is now open. I've also changed the mineral layout at the natural, it's definitely better but I'm not sure it's optimal, one gas feels a little far away. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I really appreciate them.


Great job on the update, I like it a lot more now (I didn't know that was even possible, tbh). Thanks for listening ^^
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
July 31 2012 19:44 GMT
#52
Cheers, monitor.

Just wanted to notify those of you who might be interested that Galápagos has been published on the NA server (at least for the month of August, I believe), with many thanks to Veloh and the Mapper's Monthly Tournament, whom you should all check out.

There are still a few more tweaks to be made, and I'll try to get a version 1.0 up by the end of August.

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
NiKoJa
Profile Joined June 2012
26 Posts
July 31 2012 22:59 GMT
#53
Makes me wanna live there rofl

Great map!
PandaZerg
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada148 Posts
August 01 2012 01:16 GMT
#54
I think you need to publish map again with patch 1.5 because I don't see your map on NA
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-01 17:37:40
August 01 2012 09:31 GMT
#55
On August 01 2012 10:16 PandaZerg wrote:
I think you need to publish map again with patch 1.5 because I don't see your map on NA


Unfortunately I myself have no way to double check the NA server. The guys at Mapper's Monthly are using it in their tournament, so unless they made a mistake during publishing (like publishing it privately) it should definitely be available soon. Also, the á has given some people some trouble, searching for "pagos" works on EU, but I'm pretty sure it's just that Veloh and his team haven't gotten around to publishing it again
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
MachineGunPanda
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden14 Posts
August 05 2012 13:36 GMT
#56
This map should real get a shot to be featured in the ladder or GSL. It shows real estetich beauty in combination to being an excelent map with some unique features. I real hope it will win MotM and get some shine on it.
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
August 06 2012 01:28 GMT
#57
On August 05 2012 22:36 MachineGunPanda wrote:
This map should real get a shot to be featured in the ladder or GSL. It shows real estetich beauty in combination to being an excelent map with some unique features. I real hope it will win MotM and get some shine on it.

Unfortunately, without another TLMC, it's impossible for any maps on the forum to get on GSL (Unless it's Prime/Crux)
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 53
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12497
Rain 654
Artosis 619
White-Ra 196
ToSsGirL 40
Dota 2
monkeys_forever503
NeuroSwarm149
League of Legends
Doublelift4398
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1292
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1884
Other Games
summit1g7872
Grubby2701
shahzam580
ArmadaUGS556
JimRising 465
Day[9].tv452
C9.Mang0329
ViBE137
Maynarde96
Trikslyr57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick708
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• davetesta33
• musti20045 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1412
• Day9tv452
• Shiphtur270
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 12m
OSC
13h 12m
Stellar Fest
13h 12m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.