• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:39
CEST 03:39
KST 10:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8955 users

[M] (2) ESV Brineclaw

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-10 16:20:22
January 07 2012 09:21 GMT
#1
[image loading]

ESV TV, The home of the Korean Weekly!


Published on NA and EU.

      ESV Brineclaw by GWen

[image loading]
Angled view:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Replays:
+ Show Spoiler +
FourKGerbil vs TheoRy (ZvP) (GM vs GM)
http://drop.sc/103881

POlar vs FourKGerbil (TvZ) (M vs GM)
http://drop.sc/103882

FourKGerbil vs TheoRy (ZvT) (GM vs GM)
http://drop.sc/103883


Map Analyzer Pictures:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Distances:
- Main to main: 47 seconds (in game)
- Nat to nat: 37 seconds (in game)

Xel'Naga towers:
- None

Size:
- 151x122 Playable

The first odd thing you may notice about the map is the third with a ramp that faces away from the natural. While at first this may make the third harder to hold it balances out quite nicely for two reasons. The third is fairly close to the natural and your opponent has to travel quite a far distance in order to attack your third. These factors combined with the fact that the natural ramp is 3 tiles while compared to the 2 of the third may make your natural more vulnerable than your third.

The cliffs that surround the centre base is unpathable. Many engagements that focus on taking out a third or a fourth base will be determined by careful positioning around these cliffs. Since there are no watch towers flanking, counter attacks and harassment are slightly stronger options on this map; especially when combined with the cliffs around the third and centre bases.

Textures used:
[image loading]

Eye Candy:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


For the decoration on the map I wanted to create a spooky forest. To distinguish it from the rest of the jungle maps I tried to stay away from dirt textures and chose a color scheme that is fairly cold. The minimal use of textures (only 5) and the use of textures from three completely different packs (and trees from Aiur) led to a fairly unique look for the map. The texturing isn't quite done yet so expect it to be updated over the next few days.
ESV Mapmaking Team
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
January 07 2012 10:42 GMT
#2
1 word: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

I so freaking want to play on this
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-07 12:23:55
January 07 2012 12:23 GMT
#3
On January 07 2012 19:42 Seeker wrote:
1 word: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

ಠ_ಠ

I guess we reached the same point with 2p maps as with 4p maps, where everything looks the same
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
Arceus
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Vietnam8333 Posts
January 07 2012 13:19 GMT
#4
On January 07 2012 21:23 FlopTurnReaver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2012 19:42 Seeker wrote:
1 word: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

ಠ_ಠ

I guess we reached the same point with 2p maps as with 4p maps, where everything looks the same

this. the map looks beautiful and all but Im kinda fed up with this concept of 2p maps. Tiny feature like third's ramp doesnt make it freshier than something like Dual Sight. gj in designing though
CaptainCrush
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States785 Posts
January 07 2012 13:44 GMT
#5
Ummmm, this is xel'naga caverns with grass? Way to similar IMO....
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-07 14:00:25
January 07 2012 14:00 GMT
#6
It would be really cool if you would tell the size of the map -.-
Kurumi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Poland6130 Posts
January 07 2012 14:01 GMT
#7
Looks like people would split the map in half. Looks good, don't know about actual gameplay.
I work alone. // Visit TL Mafia subforum!
Gl!tch
Profile Joined December 2010
United States573 Posts
January 07 2012 19:29 GMT
#8
I dont like that the thirds ramp faces away from the natural. The opponent could easily plant his army there to cut off the third from the nat. (Im seeing myself do just this in a PvZ)
“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” ― Banksy
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
January 07 2012 22:06 GMT
#9
On January 07 2012 22:44 CaptainCrush wrote:
Ummmm, this is xel'naga caverns with grass? Way to similar IMO....

I fail to see the resemblance
On January 08 2012 04:29 Gl!tch wrote:
I dont like that the thirds ramp faces away from the natural. The opponent could easily plant his army there to cut off the third from the nat. (Im seeing myself do just this in a PvZ)

I don't see how that's a problem. If an army gets to that point on any other map, then the expansion would be dead anyway so it doesn't really matter. Not to mention how open that leaves you to counters.
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 07 2012 22:24 GMT
#10
Considering the distance from the natural to the opponent's third, I don't actually think it's all that much harder to hold than a map like Shakuras, or something. I think it's fine, and kind of interesting. Despite being fairly central, they don't control the map that well, like maybe Xel Naga Caverns or Jungle Basin or something, but only the shortest attack path.

People say this map is a lot like other maps, but I think it has some subtle things about it that interest me. The ability to swing around behind when a Terran takes a planetary in the middle makes for some interesting positioning.

I think it might just be a little too small. I would love just a little bit of extra width added to the center line, which would make defending all the expos just a little easier and to increase the rush distance.
all's fair in love and melodies
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
January 07 2012 23:16 GMT
#11
On January 07 2012 22:44 CaptainCrush wrote:
Ummmm, this is xel'naga caverns with grass? Way to similar IMO....


I'm starting to think this specific comment should get a warning, sort of like people posting one-liner responses to strategy [H] threads.

I agree with flop that this map is overall uninspiring However, I think it's our responsibility as serious critiquers to see past the "everything looks the same" we've reached with many 2p and 4p maps. It's time to start really analyzing the minor details and how they are combined, because that is the level of the craft (mapping) and metagame (play) these days.

One thing I really like is that the center bases are actually stable, if dangerous. Much more than Shakuras or XNC, or Scrap Station 3rds ::shudder::, which of course isn't saying much but I think it's important to note because not many maps include stable central bases, they usually are there as terran or protoss bases exclusively, or desperation / victory stomp zerg bases.

I also like the concept of the long route to the 3rd which the 3rd ramp plays up, as neobowman addressed. Nevertheless, I think it might prove a little too hard for PvZ against mutas with lings easily threatening both the front and the 3rd while mutas put the stalkers out of position and then smash the walls / cannons / zealots guarding against the lings. This is exacerbated by the long attack distance with four huge runby / flanking opportunities and no towers, and the difficulty in effectively assaulting either the zerg natural or 3rd up a ramp with mass spines / lings.

That's my hunch and I would specifically test on that a bit if you can.

I'm curious if you tried towers and didn't like them? This is certainly a great map without them (preferred) but the following tower arrangement seems alright too, if a little too nice for tank play. (It would help PvZ imo.)

[image loading]
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
January 08 2012 05:03 GMT
#12
On January 08 2012 08:16 EatThePath wrote:
I agree with flop that this map is overall uninspiring However, I think it's our responsibility as serious critiquers to see past the "everything looks the same" we've reached with many 2p and 4p maps. It's time to start really analyzing the minor details and how they are combined, because that is the level of the craft (mapping) and metagame (play) these days.

One thing I really like is that the center bases are actually stable, if dangerous. Much more than Shakuras or XNC, or Scrap Station 3rds ::shudder::, which of course isn't saying much but I think it's important to note because not many maps include stable central bases, they usually are there as terran or protoss bases exclusively, or desperation / victory stomp zerg bases.

...

I'm curious if you tried towers and didn't like them? This is certainly a great map without them (preferred) but the following tower arrangement seems alright too, if a little too nice for tank play. (It would help PvZ imo.)


The exact reason I don't like XWTs on the map is because it would either make the centre base too powerful when held of too hard to hold. I think you placed the towers at the optimal position but in the event of an assault on the centre base it pretty much makes flanks impossible due to the amount of vision one unit can give for the entire army. I really wanted to make the attacking army vulnerable when trying to engage the centre base to balance out the vulnerabilities of the position of the base. By adding watch towers the attacking army loses that vulnerability.


On January 08 2012 08:16 EatThePath wrote:
I also like the concept of the long route to the 3rd which the 3rd ramp plays up, as neobowman addressed. Nevertheless, I think it might prove a little too hard for PvZ against mutas with lings easily threatening both the front and the 3rd while mutas put the stalkers out of position and then smash the walls / cannons / zealots guarding against the lings. This is exacerbated by the long attack distance with four huge runby / flanking opportunities and no towers, and the difficulty in effectively assaulting either the zerg natural or 3rd up a ramp with mass spines / lings.

That's my hunch and I would specifically test on that a bit if you can.


This came up when the map was being created and it's definitely a thing we're going to test for.
ESV Mapmaking Team
CaptainCrush
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States785 Posts
January 08 2012 12:43 GMT
#13
On January 08 2012 08:16 EatThePath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2012 22:44 CaptainCrush wrote:
Ummmm, this is xel'naga caverns with grass? Way to similar IMO....


I'm starting to think this specific comment should get a warning, sort of like people posting one-liner responses to strategy [H] threads.

I agree with flop that this map is overall uninspiring However, I think it's our responsibility as serious critiquers to see past the "everything looks the same" we've reached with many 2p and 4p maps. It's time to start really analyzing the minor details and how they are combined, because that is the level of the craft (mapping) and metagame (play) these days.


I hope you're joking.... I honestly think it looks like xel'naga caverns with grass and Im not a fan. There is no reason that I can't post that and there is no law, rule, or other governing feature ANYWHERE that made u some sort of mod or even map critiquing authority. Get off your soap box, at the end of the day this is still a game and I'm entitled to my own opinion just like you.
PlaycaLm
Profile Joined March 2006
United States242 Posts
January 08 2012 13:43 GMT
#14
This is such a pretty map!

In the OP it states that it is published on NA? Does this mean we are supposed to be able to search for it and be able to create a game? I was looking forward to trying it out but it doesn't seem to show up in search results.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
January 08 2012 14:02 GMT
#15
--- Nuked ---
AssyrianKing
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia2121 Posts
January 08 2012 16:11 GMT
#16
This is one of the most beautiful maps I have seen
John 15:13
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
January 08 2012 18:05 GMT
#17
On January 07 2012 22:44 CaptainCrush wrote:
Ummmm, this is xel'naga caverns with grass? Way to similar IMO....

No... It's a very good copy of New Bloody Ridge from the BW maps :D GO BW MAPS!!!

In other stuff, this map looks really cool and will probs see some interesting games. Hurray for breaking circle syndrome!
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
January 08 2012 18:26 GMT
#18
On January 08 2012 22:43 PlaycaLm wrote:
This is such a pretty map!

In the OP it states that it is published on NA? Does this mean we are supposed to be able to search for it and be able to create a game? I was looking forward to trying it out but it doesn't seem to show up in search results.


I probably forgot to make it public, check again in 20 minutes.
ESV Mapmaking Team
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
January 08 2012 19:29 GMT
#19
Map updated, foliage added, trees added to the centre to make it more natural.

Low ground decoration coming next, doodads on the cliffs surrounding the centre expansions to make it more clear it's unpathable. More texture refinement.

I'm glad most people enjoy the map, it's now public!

[image loading]
Here's what the centre looks like now.
ESV Mapmaking Team
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 08 2012 19:57 GMT
#20
So i have to ask a serious question.

Does ESV communicate at all when making maps? Or do you guys just make maps and add an ESV tag to them? Because this map here, and this map, and this map, and this map are basically all the same map. Yes yes, there are slight differences in the terrain and base positions, but lets be honest here, its not really enough to differentiate them all from each other.
starleague forever
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 51
NaDa 24
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm230
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g9362
JimRising 778
ViBE149
Mew2King91
ArmadaUGS78
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1302
BasetradeTV174
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream117
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• davetesta59
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 21m
INu's Battles
10h 21m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 21m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 21m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 21m
Replay Cast
21h 21m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.