• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:09
CEST 20:09
KST 03:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8155 users

[M] (2) ESV Clearwater - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
January 04 2012 22:31 GMT
#41
What prompted those changes in 0.3?

You could use smaller (like 4x4) rocks partially overlapping to require more time and effort for the removal of the center obstacles. In my games these rocks have been important early and the open space is fine lategame... so I don't understand a permanent obstacle at all.

The natural back door is fine in my games but I guess it doesn't hurt to make it smaller. :\
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 04 2012 22:42 GMT
#42
On January 05 2012 07:31 EatThePath wrote:
What prompted those changes in 0.3?

You could use smaller (like 4x4) rocks partially overlapping to require more time and effort for the removal of the center obstacles. In my games these rocks have been important early and the open space is fine lategame... so I don't understand a permanent obstacle at all.

The natural back door is fine in my games but I guess it doesn't hurt to make it smaller. :\


I've had over a dozen games played yesterday with a few grandmasters, LiquidRet, a wannabe oGsMC, and a few masters. Most of the observers were platinum+. They all concluded that the center rocks were unique, but worthless after the early game. At first I was suggested to raise the HP by one player, but the rest said it was not a good idea and that I should just put a small, permanent doodad there instead. I have to take their word for it.

The back door to the natural needed to be shortened, as indicated by all these players, because for a terran or protoss to fast expand, those rocks can post a threat (moreover, the width of the ramp). I needed to give defenders more confidence of securing that back door.

SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
January 05 2012 01:30 GMT
#43
On January 05 2012 07:42 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2012 07:31 EatThePath wrote:
What prompted those changes in 0.3?

You could use smaller (like 4x4) rocks partially overlapping to require more time and effort for the removal of the center obstacles. In my games these rocks have been important early and the open space is fine lategame... so I don't understand a permanent obstacle at all.

The natural back door is fine in my games but I guess it doesn't hurt to make it smaller. :\


I've had over a dozen games played yesterday with a few grandmasters, LiquidRet, a wannabe oGsMC, and a few masters. Most of the observers were platinum+. They all concluded that the center rocks were unique, but worthless after the early game. At first I was suggested to raise the HP by one player, but the rest said it was not a good idea and that I should just put a small, permanent doodad there instead. I have to take their word for it.

The back door to the natural needed to be shortened, as indicated by all these players, because for a terran or protoss to fast expand, those rocks can post a threat (moreover, the width of the ramp). I needed to give defenders more confidence of securing that back door.



That's fair, I don't think you lose that much in the changes so I won't dig my heels in about it. Just wanted to share my personal thoughts from about as many games.

Btw I have really been enjoying the use of the beach lanes on the outside edges. It's so open and removed from the rest of the map, makes for really interesting scout/proxy pylons to watch drops and stage harass zealots, different than anything I've played on before in a subtle way. Also provides a really nice escape route for blink stalkers from the tower ridge.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
January 05 2012 07:13 GMT
#44
On January 04 2012 04:50 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2012 04:37 WniO wrote:
change the cliffs in the water so they dont just drop off, it looks awkward, have it gradually go away, like a sand beach.


It was previously like this. I've gotten too many suggested comments to make it a cliff.

well make the boundaries obvious without the cliff... idk rocks or stark color contrast.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
January 05 2012 07:40 GMT
#45
On January 05 2012 16:13 WniO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2012 04:50 IronManSC wrote:
On January 04 2012 04:37 WniO wrote:
change the cliffs in the water so they dont just drop off, it looks awkward, have it gradually go away, like a sand beach.


It was previously like this. I've gotten too many suggested comments to make it a cliff.

well make the boundaries obvious without the cliff... idk rocks or stark color contrast.


You might be able to use fog with a sharp cutoff setting and very thick density.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
farside604
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada127 Posts
January 05 2012 09:45 GMT
#46
Very nice map, I always cheer whenever I see a map on Belshir as there are too few. I like the Zel Naga towers on the high ground thats gonna make for some interesting plays. I'd like to see maps where the natural is not given to the players and are instead "risky" to secure.
Tumor
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria192 Posts
January 05 2012 10:13 GMT
#47
Just impresive have to try it with friends
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 05 2012 16:48 GMT
#48
On January 05 2012 19:13 Tumor wrote:
Just impresive have to try it with friends


This is only on NA at the moment, seeing as you are EU
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
January 05 2012 18:38 GMT
#49
Holy crap...... I want to play on this so bad!!!

Another great map by ESV!
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 05 2012 23:05 GMT
#50
A replay section has been added to the OP above the changelog! There is only one so far, and it was a Master PvZ. A very epic battle! Download it and check it out More replays coming when I find good games!
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
January 06 2012 00:18 GMT
#51
Played a game on it, and while I really like it overall, there are some misplaced cliff gap fillers, as in they haven't been adjusted and look wrong. I was in the southeast main, so that's where I saw them. They were sort of floating in between cliff levels. Get on it

I do like the feel of the natural specifically though. It's just cool. I did also spot how the a-move path goes through a mineral line, which should discourage a-moving in general on this map.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
January 06 2012 02:29 GMT
#52
very good map! there's nothing wrong with it
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
January 06 2012 04:20 GMT
#53
Really enjoyed trying to mentally critique this map. Every time I find a problem I manage to counter it myself. I like the natural progression from easy to defend to game-making decision time when the rocks go down. Complicated thirds and difficult fourths further my interest in this map.

It seems as if faster strategies may shine on this map, but macro strategies based on zone-defense (with structures and quick units) could tear that to pieces if done appropriately.

ESV is lucky to have you Iron. If you need someone to publish it to EU let me know, I've still got spaces available (only hosting RetroSpork 4v4 by Namrufus at the moment).
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
NET
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States703 Posts
January 06 2012 05:25 GMT
#54
Pretty fun map. Overall nothing bad sticks out to me. I played on the version with random rocks put in place, was interesting because I was expecting a watch tower once I destroyed it and and nothing came out lol. I later realized it was to create a choke point which is pretty unique I think.

I love the locations of the three third expos though!
"Dark Templar are the saviors of the Protoss Race." -Artosis
coolcor
Profile Joined February 2011
520 Posts
January 06 2012 05:46 GMT
#55
On January 05 2012 07:42 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2012 07:31 EatThePath wrote:
What prompted those changes in 0.3?

You could use smaller (like 4x4) rocks partially overlapping to require more time and effort for the removal of the center obstacles. In my games these rocks have been important early and the open space is fine lategame... so I don't understand a permanent obstacle at all.

The natural back door is fine in my games but I guess it doesn't hurt to make it smaller. :\


I've had over a dozen games played yesterday with a few grandmasters, LiquidRet, a wannabe oGsMC, and a few masters. Most of the observers were platinum+. They all concluded that the center rocks were unique, but worthless after the early game. At first I was suggested to raise the HP by one player, but the rest said it was not a good idea and that I should just put a small, permanent doodad there instead. I have to take their word for it.

The back door to the natural needed to be shortened, as indicated by all these players, because for a terran or protoss to fast expand, those rocks can post a threat (moreover, the width of the ramp). I needed to give defenders more confidence of securing that back door.



What if you took that timer that made the xel'naga tower on GSL xel'naga fortress blow up after a certain time and gave it to the rocks/doodad so they would go away after they became worthless? Or is that even worse than changing the HP?
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 06 2012 06:37 GMT
#56
On January 06 2012 13:20 Chargelot wrote:
ESV is lucky to have you Iron. If you need someone to publish it to EU let me know, I've still got spaces available (only hosting RetroSpork 4v4 by Namrufus at the moment).


This map can be maxed out on bases to the point where one player may start to take one of his opponent's expansions (see replay in OP). Not every map has to be 12+ bases, as 10 is ideal, and not every game has to be macro either - although 10 bases can turn into a macrofest.

The map was commented as "positional play" because of the watch towers and the backdoor rocks into the natural. It's unique I think, and your strategic success is dependent on your positioning rather than just grabbing 3+ bases.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 06 2012 06:37 GMT
#57
On January 06 2012 14:46 coolcor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2012 07:42 IronManSC wrote:
On January 05 2012 07:31 EatThePath wrote:
What prompted those changes in 0.3?

You could use smaller (like 4x4) rocks partially overlapping to require more time and effort for the removal of the center obstacles. In my games these rocks have been important early and the open space is fine lategame... so I don't understand a permanent obstacle at all.

The natural back door is fine in my games but I guess it doesn't hurt to make it smaller. :\


I've had over a dozen games played yesterday with a few grandmasters, LiquidRet, a wannabe oGsMC, and a few masters. Most of the observers were platinum+. They all concluded that the center rocks were unique, but worthless after the early game. At first I was suggested to raise the HP by one player, but the rest said it was not a good idea and that I should just put a small, permanent doodad there instead. I have to take their word for it.

The back door to the natural needed to be shortened, as indicated by all these players, because for a terran or protoss to fast expand, those rocks can post a threat (moreover, the width of the ramp). I needed to give defenders more confidence of securing that back door.



What if you took that timer that made the xel'naga tower on GSL xel'naga fortress blow up after a certain time and gave it to the rocks/doodad so they would go away after they became worthless? Or is that even worse than changing the HP?


Xel'Naga Fortress doesn't use the self-destruct watch tower anymore because of balance-related problems, so it will remain as it is on clearwater.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 09 2012 21:54 GMT
#58
ESV Clearwater updated to 0.4. Minor bug fixes were addressed when bugs were found near the natural back doors during gameplay where units (stalkers in particular) would get stuck between doodads.

No major changes.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 23 2012 08:04 GMT
#59
ESV Clearwater has been added to Peepmode ^^
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
fenix404
Profile Joined May 2011
United States305 Posts
January 23 2012 08:19 GMT
#60
^^^ GENIUS
"think for yourself, question authority"
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 1033
ComeBackTV 931
TaKeTV 573
SteadfastSC554
LamboSC2359
IndyStarCraft 212
Rex108
EnkiAlexander 72
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 554
LamboSC2 359
mouzHeroMarine 339
IndyStarCraft 212
ProTech134
Rex 108
UpATreeSC 95
JuggernautJason0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24720
firebathero 212
Rush 127
ToSsGirL 37
Trap 22
Sexy 22
Bale 19
Shine 17
Djem5 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7263
qojqva1758
420jenkins149
monkeys_forever19
Counter-Strike
fl0m1620
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1894
crisheroes1150
Liquid`Hasu607
XaKoH 156
MindelVK18
Other Games
Grubby2216
FrodaN785
ceh9743
Beastyqt603
ArmadaUGS203
KnowMe153
Hui .145
QueenE133
C9.Mang0128
Trikslyr81
Mew2King64
Dewaltoss55
byalli9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 6
• Adnapsc2 3
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 31
• FirePhoenix12
• 80smullet 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2366
League of Legends
• TFBlade1170
Other Games
• imaqtpie809
• WagamamaTV262
• Shiphtur256
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 51m
Stellar Fest
18h 51m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.