• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:02
CEST 21:02
KST 04:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8841 users

[M] (2) ESV Clearwater

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-23 08:04:07
December 31 2011 22:48 GMT
#1
[image loading]

ESV.TV, the home of the Korean Weekly!


Version 0.4

by IronManSC - Published to NA

Also search for Peepmode to play that version of clearwater


+ Show Spoiler [Replays] +

Master PvZ: RuNei vs Corolla (35-minute match)



+ Show Spoiler [Change Log] +

+ Show Spoiler [0.4 Changes] +

1) Minor bug fixes near the natural back doors


+ Show Spoiler [0.3 Changes] +

1) Adjusted pathing

2) Re-designed the natural backdoors from 3-wide to 2-wide, and also made them more aesthetically appealing.

3) Removed the rocks around the center of the map. These were only important in the early game, but very easy to remove in the mid and late game. The idea was to raise its HP to twice the amount, but it would confuse or upset players it seemed, so the rocks were removed entirely. At first I wanted to leave it open, but then the center base was too open, so I ended up just putting a stationary piece of doodad work there for good.


+ Show Spoiler [0.2 Changes] +

1) Fixed mineral node placements to properly fit the CC/nexus/hatchery


+ Show Spoiler [0.1 Changes] +

1) Re-positioned minerals in main bases

2) Changed the center half-bases to full, regular bases

3) Fixed playable (and overall) map borders to better identify the bounds and pathable areas

4) Aesthetics are updated (dirt/sand blending, main base walls, Vines, bushes, Omni lights, new doodad on center pillar, rocks)

5) Replaced Tyrador Grass with Bel'Shir Brush texture

6) Re-textured the main bases to make them more natural. I also blended the grass with the bricks more around the center to make it look more overgrown.




HQ Overview Pic

[image loading]

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Previous Clearwater Overview versions] +

+ Show Spoiler [Version 0.1] +

[image loading]



Introduction:
I learned a lot from my previous map, ESV Ohana RE. While I believe beach maps look beautiful, I do think they need to be playable at the same time. I took what I learned from Ohana and applied it to my next beach map and decided to make this map more simple in terms of water arrangements. In this map, The island is surrounded by sand, and as you go closer to the center, it becomes more green and lush, while also exploring ancient protoss ruins and artifacts.

There are omni lights in the trees to make them glow more, and the temple banners in various places have a small glow added to them as well. In the middle I added a temple artifact surrounded by destroyed walls, and to emphasize the "power" of this artifact I put sunrays around it to make it look "beaming."

Anyways, this is my newest map, Clearwater, and it is published on NA Enjoy!

Features:

• The half-bases in the center contain lit-up, rich geysers to promote usage but also at risk

• The natural can be walled off with a FFE, but you still have a large back door blocked by rocks

• The watch towers provide safe coverage over your 3rd (which is a little open)

• There are two sets of destructible rocks around the middle that can be used to utilize choke/defensive advantages or to break them down and create a more open battleground (Zergs might like this)

Analyzer:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]


Eye Candy:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Lefiathen
Profile Joined December 2011
70 Posts
December 31 2011 23:25 GMT
#2
looks nice
SigmaFiE
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States333 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-31 23:27:30
December 31 2011 23:27 GMT
#3
I'm trying to find problems with this..... but I can't! You're too good!! Loving the changes you made!
https://johnemerson.artstation.com/
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
December 31 2011 23:44 GMT
#4
The map looks very good with no real way of having a perfect turtle. I commend you for this brilliant map. Also your middle rocks are amazing!!!

10/10
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 00:50:11
January 01 2012 00:40 GMT
#5
Thank you guys ^^

Previously I had 4 sets of rocks in the center, but I replaced the top left and bottom right with man-made protoss wall/structures as you can see in the picture. While I thought 4 sets of rocks was unique, I felt it was too much, and gave Zerg way too big of an advantage if they are aggressive because all they would have to do is knock down the defender's rocks and his middle expansion has no way to be defended. So I put those towers there to give terran and protoss a helping hand with their center base. With that said, I felt the more important rocks were in front of the naturals since they can completely change the the game, whether defensively or aggressively, so I left those there.

I may add pockets of islands around the map... but I think this is just realistic as is. If you notice, there are no palm trees! This isn't your typical beach map, so I thought it was rather unique, and my personal favorite thing about it is how it's beach on the edges, then lush in the middle ^^

I hope you guys enjoy it!
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
January 01 2012 01:11 GMT
#6
that's a really small main. The Terran player inside me groans at it.

Other than that, this looks awesome. Can't wait to play it Ironman.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 01:16:46
January 01 2012 01:13 GMT
#7
On January 01 2012 10:11 Vindicare605 wrote:
that's a really small main. The Terran player inside me groans at it.

Other than that, this looks awesome. Can't wait to play it Ironman.


It might appear small because it's stretched horizontally so you have to build a more horizontal-oriented base rather than just a big ball of buildings, but then again, there is extra room in the natural for production buildings

If you get a chance to play it, please leave your feedback! Mabye a replay!


EDIT:

I just want to make it known that the 3rd feels quite open, but here's the thing, it's away from your opponent. For an opponent to reach your 3rd (along the shore next to your natural), they have to go all the way to the opposite side of the map and attack along the shoreline, or they go through a watch tower that hopefully you occupied, but either way they have to cross over your primary path where you will have an army placed.

In short, the third looks and feels open, but positionally, it's well protected. I just want to clear that up.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 01:21:15
January 01 2012 01:19 GMT
#8
On January 01 2012 10:13 IronManSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2012 10:11 Vindicare605 wrote:
that's a really small main. The Terran player inside me groans at it.

Other than that, this looks awesome. Can't wait to play it Ironman.


It might appear small because it's stretched horizontally so you have to build a more horizontal-oriented base rather than just a big ball of buildings, but then again, there is extra room in the natural for production buildings

If you get a chance to play it, please leave your feedback! Mabye a replay!


Well that's fine except that all Terran addons are placed horizontally.

What it turns into is rows of production facilities with units having to basically traverse a maze to get to their rally point. When bases are constructed in a more vertical fashion there's a lot more freedom of movement for their units.

Terran's really the only race that has to worry about this. Zerg don't have to construct a lot of buildings at all and Protoss Warp Gates don't require rallying.

It's a strategic thing for all Terran production to come from the same place. This is so that if an enemy ever breaches your defenses your units are all spawning at the same place and can rally together to defend your base, doesn't work as well when your production facilities are scattered all over the map.

I'm not sure exactly if its' really going to be a problem yet with your map because I haven't played it yet, this post is really more of an explanation of why Terrans are at a disadvantage when their main base is so cramped.

EDIT: This concern is obviously speculation in nature. I'll leave more detailed feedback about the size of the main after I've played a few games on it.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
January 01 2012 01:23 GMT
#9
Sorry I meant that it's vertical, not horizontal --- but that you had to build bases in a more vertical stance >.<
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
January 01 2012 01:58 GMT
#10
I really think you have to mark walkable area borders with cliffs or doodads. The terrain dropoff and waterline is too ambiguous and not shaped. It's too hard to know what's available for movement for the spectators and players. And honestly, it would be a lot more realistic and I think better looking to have a cliff dropoff near the waterline anyway. I don't think oceans ever have a smooth sandy dropoff like that, as all the sand would fall away to form a more gradual slope, unless there was a rocky cliff.

The dirt texture also feels a bit out of place to be for some reason. Korhal Dirt, right? That one has a hard time fitting in with other tilesets for me. I don't know what would be better, though.

Layout wise, I really like the setup of the bases. Having the five like that is really cool. I don't really like the high yield gas bases like that in general. They never really seemed to play out very well on maps like Daybreak. I think I'd prefer them to be full expos, but that would of course cause other problems. I don't know if others agree, I'm just not really a fan of them. Absolutely destroys any chance of getting it on ladder, too, and I think the ideal maps should be designed for both ladder and tournaments, but that's not too big of a deal.
all's fair in love and melodies
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
January 01 2012 02:07 GMT
#11
I like the look of it, but staring at it I noticed each player only gets 3 and 2/3 expansions, which is new. I dunno, the outside seems a little bare, by the overview at least. I may check it out in game, it might feel better there. But from first impressions, it does look like there are aesthetic pieces to fill in. Great map though!
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 02:20:22
January 01 2012 02:18 GMT
#12
Alright after a couple games on it, I've noticed a few things.

The first is that my fears about the size of the main for terran production are somewhat realized although not to a magnitude greater than maps already in the ladder pool so i suppose it isn't that big of a deal.

It's cramped but workable. So that's not a problem.

The problem I discovered while playing it is that all of the attack paths are very very narrow. There are very few places on the map where its possible to have a battle where one choke or another is not in play. This makes Siege Tanks, and Forcefields exceptionally powerful on this map in a way very similar to Crossfire in the GSL. I didn't play a TvT on it yet but I'd imagine any of the complaints I had with the chokepoints would be greatly magnified if I did.

This is probably an intended design feature although I personally was not much a fan of it.

What I did like was the location of the expansions. They all felt valuable yet there wasn't a clear distinction that made the location of the third something that was predetermined. I like that a lot. The overall aesthetics of the map were what you'd expect from one of Ironman's maps.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 03:46:30
January 01 2012 03:45 GMT
#13
Hahaha, awesome. This is like Rising Tides transported into the future, magically developed through 18 months of SC2 mapping progress.

Best use of rocks in the middle of nowhere that I've yet seen. The outside beach pathways are very interesting; would like to playtest.

Kind of small number of bases. This is a little bit unfortunate because:

A solid, macro oriented player (who won't succumb to the allure of all in play) will try to be cost effective on a map that only has 2.5 bases after the main/natural. In the ideal game between two such players, there would be a lot of interesting repositioning and probably few major fights while the players calculate and try to find openings. But with so few bases, I feel players will have little incentive but to turtle and strike at the right moment. By playing cost effective, you plan to accumulate material advantage and possibly use a starvation endgame. When the timeline is limited by the resource count, it presses back the horizon of when a player should "cash in" his advantage gained through cost effectiveness.

On the other hand, it might just make for slow and cagey games, assuming the style of play I describe above.

+ Show Spoiler [in other words] +
To take the above and say it a different way -- zerg is kind of on a timer. They have to win with their 9 geysers, there's nowhere else to extend the game. Even though most lay spectcators consider a lategame battle epic, it's still an all in if you're forced to just "go for it" because you can't possibly take more bases and keep the game going.


And this map has so many cool ways to reposition, it's a shame if they can't be used to their fullest extent. But, it's also just a style of map and that's okay too, even if the terrain rarely gets to experience its potential fully, cause it's nice terrain.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
XenoX101
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia729 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 05:21:13
January 01 2012 05:20 GMT
#14
Pretty nice, I like the simplicity of it and the openness of the third. One thing I've noticed with your maps IronManSC is that your texturing is a bit cut-and-dry, in that there isn't much natural blending between certain textures like grass and dirt, and that there also doesn't seem to be much natural terrain deformation such as hills and valleys. Still looks great and better than most maps out there, but it's something you could perhaps work on if you want to step your aesthetics up a notch. Also it's distinct enough that I instantly knew this was one of your maps before looking at the name because of the texturing .
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
January 01 2012 05:50 GMT
#15
too few bases to be a serious map, but it certaintly looks fun, and in my books thats all that matters. nice dirt/jungle work too.
lost_artz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States366 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 06:50:06
January 01 2012 06:43 GMT
#16
On January 01 2012 14:50 WniO wrote:
too few bases to be a serious map, but it certaintly looks fun, and in my books thats all that matters. nice dirt/jungle work too.


I agree somewhat with this statement, however there are 10 bases which is a decent amount even if 2 are 'half-bases'. It's good to keep in mind every map doesn't have to be a macro map. It also means you won't see extremely long drawn out game where both players just posture back and forth and one eventually gets steam-rolled because of a simple mistake.

Lastly to address the issue some people are having with space in the mains for terrans, you could move the gas and mineral to be at the back of the mains. This might fix the issue all together. TBH I don't think the mains are small, they're probably the same size as Xel'Naga if not slightly bigger, I think it's just a positioning issue.

---
PS the Protoss artifact in the middle is kinda boring , not the walls around it, just the artifact in the little pedestal.
CycoDude
Profile Joined November 2010
United States326 Posts
January 01 2012 12:16 GMT
#17
pretty basic and straight-forward; i like these kind of maps.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
January 01 2012 17:13 GMT
#18
Awesome. I really like the creativity in it. I think that it could really benefit from adding islands in the dead space (either top right/bottom left corners or in the top/bottom middle) so that you have another expanding option past 4 or 5 bases.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
XenoX101
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia729 Posts
January 01 2012 18:01 GMT
#19
On January 01 2012 14:50 WniO wrote:
too few bases to be a serious map, but it certaintly looks fun, and in my books thats all that matters. nice dirt/jungle work too.


Not true at all, this map has 10 bases. Dual Sight, Crossfire and Shattered all have 10 bases as well. Bel'Shir Beach, Metalopolis & Daybreak have 12 just 2 more than this map.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-01 18:29:21
January 01 2012 18:28 GMT
#20
This map takes a bit to wrap one's head around.

MisfortuneS Ghost mentioned the outside looks a little bare, and, while it does on the overview, I think, for the most part, it will look quite nice in a casted match. Not every map needs huge protoss relics surrounding it. Not to discourage you from taking the aesthetic a bit further, but mostly just say "ahhh, I like it".

Aesthetically speaking, the mains feel... almost out of place. We have these massive artificial structures on both sides of the island (the mains) that are rather plain, and then the rest is bright and organic, till we get to the mysterious middle ruins. I think giving them an overgrown look, or having the outward-facing cliff as organic (with doodads hidding the seam), would remove the out-of-place feel I get from it now.

I like it, IronMan, nice layout.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 751
SteadfastSC546
EnkiAlexander 76
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 546
UpATreeSC 113
JuggernautJason59
BRAT_OK 57
PtitDrogo 40
MindelVK 16
ZombieGrub4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29924
Soulkey 307
Dewaltoss 130
Mini 80
Trap 31
ToSsGirL 25
Shine 19
NotJumperer 4
Dota 2
Dendi993
qojqva811
Counter-Strike
fl0m1398
Fnx 725
shoxiejesuss694
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King111
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2778
Khaldor2072
Liquid`Hasu778
Other Games
Grubby2887
ArmadaUGS1146
B2W.Neo603
ceh9520
byalli466
C9.Mang0168
Pyrionflax86
Chillindude82
Trikslyr55
Railgan21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 5
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki50
• blackmanpl 31
• 80smullet 15
• FirePhoenix13
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1153
Other Games
• imaqtpie1079
• Scarra614
• Shiphtur315
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
14h 58m
OSC
17h 58m
Stellar Fest
17h 58m
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 17h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.