• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:53
CEST 15:53
KST 22:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13680 users

[M] (2) YGL Niflheim Peaks

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-11 07:13:54
September 26 2011 12:17 GMT
#1


Map Name: YGL Niflheim Peaks
Download: Search "YGL Niflheim Peaks" (EU only atm)

Map size: 157x127
Game types: 1v1
Number of player spawns: 2
Number of bases: 10
Main locations:
  • 2
  • 8
Line of sight blockers hide a back entrance to the natural.
Destructable rocks block a back entrance into the possible third.
Two watch towers placed near the center of the map.

Current images are from version 1.0 (EU)

Top down picture:
[image loading]

Close up images:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Changelog:
11 / 10 / 2012
* published version 1.0 to Bnet (EU)

Map analyser pictures:
+ Show Spoiler +
Summary:
http://i.imgur.com/zexQJ.png

Main to main:
http://i.imgur.com/vNZEH.png

Nat to nat:
http://i.imgur.com/KbBMC.png


Building placement pictures:
+ Show Spoiler +
Protoss FFE:
http://i.imgur.com/tiORM.jpg

Terran wall off:
http://i.imgur.com/AW6m0.jpg

Zerg creep:
http://i.imgur.com/FHiXP.jpg


This is my first time using "custom" textures and messing with the tilesets. So please say if something seems off, I did something wrong or forgot something! Any and all feedback is welcome!
@lawolawol
Proko
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1022 Posts
September 26 2011 13:10 GMT
#2
That natural looks hard for toss to defend. The choke is alright but the rocks are a nightmare.
Caster duos should compliment each others' strengths. "You look very handsome today, Tasteless."
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
September 26 2011 14:27 GMT
#3
Isn't the supply depot usually on the other side of the ramp, so walling to the ramp can be easier? I think that would make it a little more reasonable to defend an open nat like that. I might consider making the back entrance smaller, as well.
all's fair in love and melodies
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
September 26 2011 15:20 GMT
#4
nat2nat distance looks awefully long and prooves how big the map is. possibly too big really. looking at nat and main you can see that hey are the same size! i think with some reworking of space and scale, this layout hasa lot of potential to play quite solid!
TolEranceNA
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada434 Posts
September 26 2011 19:30 GMT
#5
As everyone mentioned, any early expand strategies are discouraged, due to how extremely open the natural yes, i would even argue that the natural is even more open than the one on Xel`Naga cavern.

However i love the texture and tiling on this. GJ
Arotsis:"Nestea, what do you think about Zerg?" Nestea:"...Sad."
prodiG
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2016 Posts
September 26 2011 19:31 GMT
#6
I think this map wins the "smallest main ever on a map that isn't called shrinkage" award
ESV Mapmaking Team || http://twitter.com/prodiGsc || Real talk, I don't have time to sugar-coat it for you sir
Gl!tch
Profile Joined December 2010
United States573 Posts
September 26 2011 22:28 GMT
#7
Sick textures. Dont like the watchtower placement, seems like the opponent could easily take it and watch over both exits from your base.
“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” ― Banksy
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
September 27 2011 10:21 GMT
#8
@Proko: Do you reckon making the rocks smaller would help? If I reshuffle the natural and 4th the rocks could potentially go away or move to the other side of the raised platform. I think removing them would probly cause more problems than solve them... what you think?

@Gfire: I have no idea which side the depot is meant to go! Someone said add them into maps and so I did! lol. I didn't think it mattered which side they go so I'll have to look into it thanks!

@Samro225am/prodiG: Do you think the main is only small compared to other bases, or is to small in general? I mean its easy enough to make the main larger, but from what I assume you think the map itself is a little big?

@Gl!tch: I suppose thats possible! I'll have a go at different placements once I do some changes and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the feedback! It seems I got caught up a bit to much in the look of things and ignored some of the basics/layout ^_^
@lawolawol
Gl!tch
Profile Joined December 2010
United States573 Posts
September 27 2011 14:01 GMT
#9
I've always considered aesthetics to be the fun part of map making, so i always get caught up in thinking "what would look good" before thinking about layout.

As a suggestion, create your map as all one texture with no doodad's first, and run it through the analyzer so you can make any layout changes before getting into the aesthetics (nothings more annoying then making some nice scenery at the edge, then being told you should widen some choke point and you should delete that scenery to do so).

Just my 2 cents
“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” ― Banksy
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
September 28 2011 13:35 GMT
#10
I've made some changes to the map and uploaded some screenshots of them. Changes:

- Nat2nat distance is a little smaller, its now 140 and was 153.
- The natural has been made smaller.
- I removed the big rocks by the natural.
- Added a little pathway by the natural - not sure if this is needed :c
- The 4th/5th is a little smaller / better positioned.
- Repositioned the watch towers.

+ Show Spoiler +

In game look:
http://i.imgur.com/QgGCl.jpg

Nat2nat:
http://i.imgur.com/HhIqL.png

Summary:
http://i.imgur.com/dU32Z.png


@Gl!tch: It seems to be a bad habbit I picked up :c but you're right lol

I swear I once read a topic where someone posted a channel name or something you could join to get people to test your map. Would really help me out being able to have people play on it before publishing, something I can't really do atm (I only 2-3 people who play this lol). If anyone could point out that topic or channel name it would be much appreciated!
@lawolawol
TwistedFate
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom9 Posts
October 05 2011 18:22 GMT
#11
As with some of your other maps I think the map needs to have a little more going on doodad wise, maybe add some more rocks and trees around?

I'm also not sure about the spires around the edge and the way they just suddenly stop, it might look better if they thin out away from the main map into the big snowy hills

Personally I don't like the second entrance to the natural but thats just because of the way I play

I really like the snowy look btw
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
October 07 2011 16:30 GMT
#12
On October 06 2011 03:22 TwistedFate wrote:
As with some of your other maps I think the map needs to have a little more going on doodad wise, maybe add some more rocks and trees around?

I'm also not sure about the spires around the edge and the way they just suddenly stop, it might look better if they thin out away from the main map into the big snowy hills

Personally I don't like the second entrance to the natural but thats just because of the way I play

I really like the snowy look btw

Thanks, glad you like the look! I'm sort of struggling with doodads on this snow tile set, even more than I usually struggle with them lol. Added a couple more (close to towers) and did some touches up on the spires, not sure if that's enough. Thing is with them "suddenly stopping" is the map bounds stop when they stop. The snowy mountain look fading into the distance seemed nicer than just more spires to me.

I've updated my post and added some of the changes suggested here. The natural is a bit smaller, and so is the back door into it. Repositioned the watch towers and tried making the map a wee bit smaller. It is also now available on NA!
@lawolawol
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
October 07 2011 20:09 GMT
#13
You need to be careful with that high ground terrain near the nat. You made it unpathable, but due to its large size, players will think its droppable and will probably try to abuse it only to get a 'wtf why isnt this working' moment.

For nat design, use protoss FE as a template: have either a wall capable from the ramp to the nexus, or have the entrance wallable. With 'open' nats or nats with two entrances, you will have to rely on ramp-to-nexus layout.
starleague forever
Praetorial
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States4241 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-07 22:04:55
October 07 2011 21:53 GMT
#14
Just played the map online, it's fairly well balanced, although the huge air space can be (just a little, not much) abused.

EDIT: Also looks really nice, except I was using stronger team color with my team color as yellow.
FOR GREAT JUSTICE! Bans for the ban gods!
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
October 22 2011 11:51 GMT
#15
a176: Thanks! I'll upload some examples of FFE using the nexus later and will look into making that highground issue. I hadnt really thought of it like that.

On October 08 2011 06:53 PraetorialGamer wrote:
Just played the map online, it's fairly well balanced, although the huge air space can be (just a little, not much) abused.

The air space is a mistake on my part lol. I made the map smaller but never changed the camera bounds :< Have fixed this now, thanks!
@lawolawol
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
October 23 2011 10:48 GMT
#16
Hi Lawol!

This map is pretty, and thoughtfully put together, making playtesting more difficult, lolt .

Played through several games on this map, with players of various skill levels. Unfortunately, I got disconnected and my stream crashed partway through, so I have only two replays for you-- both relatively low-level ZvZs.
http://drop.sc/46570
http://drop.sc/46571
VoD: www.twitch.tv/blazinghand/b/298141913

Overall, there are no glaring problems with the map. It plays out a LOT like xel'naga caverns in terms of defending the natural, 2 base play, etc. Only two major issues stand out, and they seem related:

1) there are only two attack paths through the center
2) there is no way to go from one side of the map to the other without passing under a watchtower.

Most maps either have multiple attack paths, so that controlling a watchtower doesn't necessarily mean you can stop troop movement (Crossfire) or area and paths that circumvent the watchtowers entirely if someone's willing to make a longer trip (Xel'Naga Caverns, Backwater Gluch). I'd recommend doing something to address this-- ling runbys, ground-based harass and the like are all seen by the the watchtowers. The biggest mitigating factor is the distance between the towers, making it harder for a single player to control both-- but it's worth looking into. I don't think it imbalances things, buit could be a problem.

Adding slightly more room, maybe with a movement blocker (like on xel'naga caverns) might work.

Good luck!
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
lawol
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-10 22:09:15
October 10 2012 22:08 GMT
#17
Hey! So this is a rather old thread and bump, but I'm in the process of reworking my old maps for a new team a friend of mine is starting.

Have done several graphic tweaks and a couple of minor game play tweaks. The major one likely being the addition of some rocks to block the route to the one base. I've also included a video which provides a play through of the map - it is fairly slow paced but I figured its intention was to give people a look, not show off the map. Anyway new name is: YGL Niflhelm Peaks

The problem is, I can't seem to edit my OP. o_O Hopefully a bump allows me to lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qJ_5ig_q1w&feature=youtu.be

edit: no, bumping did not allow me to edit. Is there any way for me to edit the OP? I'd really prefer not to make a new one....
@lawolawol
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
October 10 2012 23:13 GMT
#18
Hi. Nice job on the aesthetics!
As for the layout, I think everything is a bit blown out of proportion. If you amake the efficiency a bit better, I think you can fit the whole idea onto a smaller map. Good Lcuk!
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
October 10 2012 23:26 GMT
#19
edit: no, bumping did not allow me to edit. Is there any way for me to edit the OP? I'd really prefer not to make a new one....

pm a mod.
Not a bad update either.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 262
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SHIN 262
mouzHeroMarine 167
ProTech142
CosmosSc2 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41546
Bisu 2806
Hyuk 1748
Shuttle 1632
Mini 673
EffOrt 601
Larva 481
Soma 428
firebathero 239
ZerO 220
[ Show more ]
hero 115
Last 96
Zeus 69
Sexy 55
sorry 54
Pusan 53
Killer 51
Hyun 47
Bale 36
Trap 33
Hm[arnc] 28
ToSsGirL 26
PianO 26
Aegong 25
zelot 19
Rock 13
yabsab 13
Noble 11
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6487
qojqva1383
Dendi969
Counter-Strike
fl0m114
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1200
crisheroes856
Lowko416
Liquid`Hasu405
Other Games
gofns41675
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1229
DeMusliM254
Livibee187
Liquid`VortiX126
Mew2King89
ArmadaUGS85
Hui .75
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 52
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 6699
League of Legends
• Jankos1880
Other Games
• WagamamaTV224
Upcoming Events
FEL
2h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
3h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 7m
INu's Battles
22h 7m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.