• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:17
CEST 16:17
KST 23:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6297 users

[G] Watchtower alternatives - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 09 2011 02:13 GMT
#21
I thought I ought to reply with the solution I found. I still have not found how to scale the Xel'Naga watchtower, footprint and all, like you can with the destructible rocks via the properties screen when you press Enter, what I did find is that under the Model for the Unit, there are two properties: Scale Minimum and Scale Maximum. These allow you to put a range so that you can get randomly generated variations of the shape. What I did was to make a complete copy of the original Watchtower (renaming all of the related Actors, Footprints, etc. with the same suffix) for each of the different sizes I wanted, and then I modified the Scale Minimum and Scale Maximum to the specific size I wanted (the X, Y, and Z all to the same number for each). That way it "randomly" generates to the exact size. Additionally, I modified the Unit Sight Range and Tower Capture [suffix] abilities so that the baby watchtowers give less sight than the larger watchtowers, and you also have to stand closer to the smaller ones.

I'm still working on "throwing" the vision, but I will update when I have a solution.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
August 09 2011 02:57 GMT
#22
On August 09 2011 11:13 HypertonicHydroponic wrote: what I did find is that under the Model for the Unit, there are two properties: Scale Minimum and Scale Maximum.
...
I'm still working on "throwing" the vision, but I will update when I have a solution.

Yes that's what you want to do. There should be a scale on the xelnaga tower unit as well as the model (for whatever reason).
Footprint is how much space the unit actually takes up on the ground (2x2). Even if you scale the model larger, it will still be 2x2 unless you change it's footprint. Footprint should be under unit I think.

For the sight offset, that might be a bit tricky, so you might as well just use a trigger.
Events - Unit - Any Unit enters a distance of X from Unit
Conditions - no units from another faction around
Actions - reveal area at location
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 09 2011 04:21 GMT
#23
On August 09 2011 11:57 Xapti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2011 11:13 HypertonicHydroponic wrote: what I did find is that under the Model for the Unit, there are two properties: Scale Minimum and Scale Maximum.
...
I'm still working on "throwing" the vision, but I will update when I have a solution.

Conditions - no units from another faction around

My head is swimming from all the triggers I've been looking through to try to do this. I cannot seem to figure out how to do this condition -- any suggestion?
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
hobbidude
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada171 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-09 06:48:49
August 09 2011 06:47 GMT
#24
No triggers are really needed for xwt - its all done in data.

Are you still looking for "throwing" vision and do you just mean what the tower reveils suchs as the sight radius? Let me know and i should be able to help.

Your aware now that you don't need to hide the real tower in a ditch and instead just change the model to whatever doodad you want right?
FiLmBoT
Profile Joined June 2011
United States107 Posts
August 09 2011 07:50 GMT
#25
This is really cool I hope more people that make custom maps, use more xel naga towers like this in different way like Icup having one that's destructible.

HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 13:14:28
August 11 2011 11:54 GMT
#26
Ok! After much google searching, checking out the mapping sites, and just generally plowing through the trigger editor, I came up with a way that I think approximates the behavior of the towers while doing the funky little tricky things I wanted to do with the vision. I will edit this later with some of the specifics (i.e. actual trigger code) for anyone wanting to know how this is done, but basically, I create an 2-dimensional array for the number of units per player (row) by each tower (column) and another one for the Revealers (row) per player (column) that are used to "throw" the vision. I have a setup where there are four mini watchtowers and one large watchtower -- each of these is a copy of the original. The mini towers are 50% size, do their animation pretty much only if your unit is touching it, and only reveal sight of 1 so you don't even notice it. The large tower is 300% size, does the animation if you are up to a range of 64 (!!!) away but only reveals a sight of 2 which pretty much only lights itself up (and it IS in a ditch, but not for reasons of the OP). The last piece of the terrain setup is the addition of four regions, each centered upon the large tower with varying radii (16, 32, 48, 64 -- I've found that 64 is the largest revealer that can be created). So now the sweet triggers: these allow you to capture a mini tower which creates a revealer in one of the regions. If you capture one mini tower, you get the 16 radius vision; two towers, 32; etc. And as you leave towers, it does the reverse. The mini towers are placed just within the activation of the large tower, so the first thing you will see is the glow of the big tower, and then as you activate a mini one the sight seems to grow. It's a pretty neat effect if I do say so myself. I still need to work out some of the gotchas and test a bit more -- as one site mentioned burrowing/unburrowing and deaths need to be accounted for in whether or not vision should still be held. I really cannot wait to get this finished up and post the map.

EDIT 1: Ok, before I publish the triggers, I really want to do a thorough test of my map with more than one player since I don't want to put up something that doesn't actually work. I know it works for just one player, but I want to make sure it works properly when more than one player contests a mini-tower. Is there anyway to get the "Test Document" feature to allow the control of units from another player?

EDIT 2: I have published my triggers here ( http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=255017 ) for anyone who is interested.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 984
WardiTV792
OGKoka 259
Rex138
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 259
ProTech148
Rex 138
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2881
Shuttle 1728
EffOrt 897
BeSt 674
Light 412
firebathero 346
Mini 333
ZerO 282
Stork 259
Rush 244
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 241
Barracks 120
Shine 86
Zeus 85
Sea.KH 71
Killer 66
Hyun 49
sorry 42
Sexy 29
Shinee 28
ToSsGirL 28
Mong 28
Aegong 25
Bale 21
Terrorterran 21
soO 17
HiyA 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Sacsri 10
yabsab 9
Icarus 8
zelot 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
qojqva3115
Dendi1953
BananaSlamJamma323
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes470
Other Games
singsing2247
olofmeister1639
hiko1044
B2W.Neo810
Lowko352
Pyrionflax227
Liquid`VortiX201
Sick188
ArmadaUGS103
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream542
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 5
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH295
• mYiSmile14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2034
• Nemesis1862
• TFBlade604
Other Games
• WagamamaTV283
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.