• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:33
CEST 19:33
KST 02:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7323 users

[G] Watchtower alternatives

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
February 07 2011 12:53 GMT
#1
After reading SaltyDogs post about the editor I thought about ways to change the appearance of the XelNaga Watchtowers. They annoy me too from time to time when they sit on a tileset where they look totally out of place.

Then I had an idea!

The watchtowers footprint is 2x2. That means you can use the "lower height" tool on a single mesh intersection in between the 4 tiles. Then you can place the tower in the hole, so that you can hide it underneath a doodad.

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

It actually works! It appears normal on the minimap of course, but it lacks a tower activation animation. There will still be a blue beam flash when units approach, so it´s not too bad.

I included a small map file with 3 different examples of camouflaged XWTs.

[image loading]

Download example
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
February 07 2011 13:04 GMT
#2
great idea! love it.

still would be great blizzard would support us with a XWT 'generator' (set of three doodads per setting and a few animations with different styles). one should be able to choose between various doodads.

when you use different dodads, at least there should be a set of distinctive activation animations, otherwise players will be completly confused.
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
February 07 2011 13:06 GMT
#3
Great idea but could get confusing if people aren't careful.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
February 07 2011 13:08 GMT
#4
The all-seeing rock? nice idea btw
KCCO!
DizzyDrone
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands629 Posts
February 07 2011 13:27 GMT
#5
isnt it possible to change the appearance of the tower itself using the map editor?
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
February 07 2011 14:10 GMT
#6
On February 07 2011 22:27 DizzyDrone wrote:
isnt it possible to change the appearance of the tower itself using the map editor?


nope, theres just 1 model
KCCO!
NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
February 07 2011 14:26 GMT
#7
This is the kind of creativity which always amazes me in the communities! Great idea.
The computer terminal looks great on the space platform by the way.

As for a doodad for the jungle set, isn't there an obelisk-like doodad? That might make more sense than a normal looking rock

Could you hide the watch tower without a doodad, but with another texture or something? I'm thinking about for example the center of Crevasse (http://imgur.com/opUS5). Could you make it so that the Watchtower activates when you enter the blue texture in the middle of the map?



Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
February 07 2011 15:01 GMT
#8
The model of the Xel'Naga tower should stay the same for the comfort of the players. It would cause issues if each map of the ladder map pool would have different models of Xel'Naga towers.
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
TedJustice
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1324 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-07 15:46:07
February 07 2011 15:45 GMT
#9
Yeah, the Xel Naga towers are the same for the same reason Nexuses and Command Centers stay the same on every tileset. Your eye needs to be able to tell what it is at a glance, and different variations for anything other than doodads is generally a bad thing, IMO.

This is still an interesting idea for UMS maps or something though.
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-07 17:07:54
February 07 2011 17:01 GMT
#10
On February 07 2011 23:10 ihasaKAROT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 07 2011 22:27 DizzyDrone wrote:
isnt it possible to change the appearance of the tower itself using the map editor?


nope, theres just 1 model

Of course it is possible. You can change it into any structure/doodad you want.

Made this in a couple minutes:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Btw. If you just wanna change it a little bit or like make watchtowers with decreased sight range, there's a doodad called "Xel'Naga Tower Small" that would fit pretty well:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
February 07 2011 18:00 GMT
#11
If people are worried about a different model confusing players, which is understandable, you could always just re-texture the original. I did this in 5-10 minutes just as an example, could probably make it better:

[image loading]

Any colour is possible too of course
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-07 18:52:35
February 07 2011 18:50 GMT
#12
Man, I wish I knew how to do what you guys did. Is it possible to do any of those changes without losing the melee tag?

Btw. FlopTurnReaver I love that you chose an outhouse as an example xD lmao
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
February 07 2011 19:05 GMT
#13
The re-textured version I just posted doesn't seem to change the melee status to custom. I'm tempted to publish the map just to make sure both the texture shows up as it does in that picture, and the status is still melee, cause the last time I tried this it didn't want to work properly, but maybe they changed it in a patch.
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
February 07 2011 19:42 GMT
#14
You don't lose melee when you change some units these days. Did stuff like that in other maps already. It's actually pretty easy to do stuff like that.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 08 2011 06:51 GMT
#15
I apologize for the necro, but this seemed to be closest to what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure the question(s) warrant a new thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to make the Xel'Naga Watchtower bigger. I've seen other units have an option to scale them (like making a rax 4x4 instead of 3x3), but I cannot seem to find it for the watchtower.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible with triggers or something to make capturing one watchtower actaully tigger vision in another part of the map (like around another watchtower).
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Xation
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada147 Posts
August 08 2011 09:16 GMT
#16
Wait, if you can't change the model of the tower... what is with the Xel'Naga towers on some of the GSL maps? I believe Dual sight has them as blue and red warpgates, and there is one more where the tower "dies" after a time, and it's model seems to be an obelisk..
Liquid HerO bonjwa. Stardust fighting! -Jester 1754
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
August 08 2011 09:19 GMT
#17
You can change the actor model on a XWT , thats the best way. There you can also adjust the footprint. Dont use the method from OP, its gimmicky and gives result, but its gimmicky
KCCO!
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
August 08 2011 09:45 GMT
#18
On August 08 2011 18:19 ihasaKAROT wrote:
You can change the actor model on a XWT , thats the best way. There you can also adjust the footprint. Dont use the method from OP, its gimmicky and gives result, but its gimmicky


If only someone would explain to me how exactly I can do that and which models are already there and suited to be used as a watchtower.

I don't know how difficult it is, but if it's not too difficult I really think people should change the watchtower model more often so it fits the map design, like on Xel'Naga Fortress and Bel'Shir Beach. I'd really love to see more mechanical or natural watchtowers like in the OP
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
August 08 2011 09:53 GMT
#19
On August 08 2011 15:51 HypertonicHydroponic wrote:
I apologize for the necro, but this seemed to be closest to what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure the question(s) warrant a new thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to make the Xel'Naga Watchtower bigger. I've seen other units have an option to scale them (like making a rax 4x4 instead of 3x3), but I cannot seem to find it for the watchtower.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible with triggers or something to make capturing one watchtower actaully tigger vision in another part of the map (like around another watchtower).

Regarding the sight revealing: Xel'naga towers by default use gamedata effects and not triggers to reveal the area, so it would be ideal to use gamedata and not triggers for it.

That said, I think both gamedata and triggers should be possible. For triggers it should be really easy, so probably your overall best option, and for gamedata, there might be a few ways of doing it, but it would be more challenging

Regarding the size of the structure, I am not sure why you are saying that you cannot find the option to scale the watchtower, but can for other buildings — elaborate?

You need to do 2 things:
- Change the footprint of the object (that's how much space it takes up)
- Scale the size of the actual unit (there are two methods I think, one is via the model, the other is via the unit... best to use the unit one)
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 08 2011 12:43 GMT
#20
On August 08 2011 18:53 Xapti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 15:51 HypertonicHydroponic wrote:
I apologize for the necro, but this seemed to be closest to what I'm looking for, and I'm not sure the question(s) warrant a new thread.

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to make the Xel'Naga Watchtower bigger. I've seen other units have an option to scale them (like making a rax 4x4 instead of 3x3), but I cannot seem to find it for the watchtower.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible with triggers or something to make capturing one watchtower actaully tigger vision in another part of the map (like around another watchtower).

Regarding the sight revealing: Xel'naga towers by default use gamedata effects and not triggers to reveal the area, so it would be ideal to use gamedata and not triggers for it.

That said, I think both gamedata and triggers should be possible. For triggers it should be really easy, so probably your overall best option, and for gamedata, there might be a few ways of doing it, but it would be more challenging

Regarding the size of the structure, I am not sure why you are saying that you cannot find the option to scale the watchtower, but can for other buildings — elaborate?

You need to do 2 things:
- Change the footprint of the object (that's how much space it takes up)
- Scale the size of the actual unit (there are two methods I think, one is via the model, the other is via the unit... best to use the unit one)

Thanks the reply, seriously.

Here's what I know about resizing: If I select Destructible Rocks 6x6 (another unit on the map) and press Enter, the first tab of the properties screen has a "Scale" section the allows you to scale up/down the unit. If I select Xel'Naga Tower and press Enter, the first tab has no such section.

I am pretty noob to this, so I did some google search and could not find exactly what I was looking for. So then I hunted around in the game data and still could not figure out how to scale it. Does the footprint control whether of not you can scale the object? Do I just need to use say a Destructible Rocks footprint instead of the Footprint 2x2 and Footprint 2x2 (Contour) of the original watchtower?

As for the sight revealing, I have found out how to change how close a unit has to be to trigger the tower sight as well as how to increase/decrease the tower sight. However, I have not been able to figure out how to offset the sight range (so that the center of sight is x/y away from the center of the tower), and also I want to mess with how much sight is given based on certain parameters that I do not think the game data section allows. But again, I am pretty noob so any tips you might have would be appreciated!
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM708
TKL 312
TaKeTV 261
IndyStarCraft 177
BRAT_OK 137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 708
TKL 312
IndyStarCraft 177
ProTech144
BRAT_OK 137
MaxPax 93
UpATreeSC 80
Rex 63
MindelVK 19
EmSc Tv 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 937
EffOrt 592
Mini 534
ggaemo 178
firebathero 167
Barracks 59
910 56
Hyun 48
Shine 42
Shinee 40
[ Show more ]
Killer 31
Bale 28
Sea.KH 25
ToSsGirL 20
Trap 19
soO 17
yabsab 11
White-Ra 11
Dota 2
qojqva4296
Counter-Strike
Fnx 707
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3840
crisheroes1455
Liquid`Hasu1090
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2670
singsing1494
B2W.Neo1016
ceh9588
Beastyqt480
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0127
Dewaltoss94
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream459
Other Games
BasetradeTV187
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 11
EmSc2Tv 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2247
• TFBlade920
Other Games
• Shiphtur247
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 27m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 27m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.