• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:06
CEST 12:06
KST 19:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9176 users

[map] Sapphire -madsquare

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-09 15:09:02
October 04 2010 13:47 GMT
#1
Updated 26. Nov 2010

[image loading]

(detail screens removed)


Specifications:

4 Spawnlocations

12 mineral bases
-main has 8 patches
-natural has 7 patches
-expansions have 7 patches

00 gold bases

00 Xel'naga Towers

Size: 144x144 playable


Notes:

Center is pathable

Your 'actual' third and the 'possible' third (clockwise nearest natural) have the same distance from your mains ramp


Feedback is always highly appreciated.

If you would like to talk to me about something concerning starcraft2 mapping, you can catch me on irc in #teamliquid @ quakenet.

greetings, madsquare.

other maps:
Exe9
BBQ
Amnesia
Ice Wastes
Beta Sation
Emerald Plateau
Dreamscape
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-04 17:05:38
October 04 2010 17:04 GMT
#2
Looks good and solid, nice idea with the 2nd entrance to the natural, I just hope you increased the hitpoints of the rocks a bit or stacked 2 on top of each other. Not sure about the main's sizes, look a bit tight? And I hope you're not done with the textures^^

Good work once more

EDIT: Just saw the detailed screens, guess you did put some more textures in there than I saw on the big one^^

+ Show Spoiler [BTW.] +
WHERE'S THE SQUARE???
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-06 14:32:22
October 04 2010 20:13 GMT
#3
Main size is fairly large, comparble to Lost Temple. May look smaller since its a 144x144 instead of 128x128 map.

The textures on the layout screen look really mediocre, this is because i wanted to keep the purple color and so i just lightly toned it with the green stuff, and the cracks are the same color, so it looks unfinished.
Though ingame its really nice. The shakuras trees are probably the most awesome doodad in this game so far.
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
BoomStevo
Profile Joined August 2010
United States332 Posts
October 04 2010 21:59 GMT
#4
I don't think the destructible rocks are needed.

The expansions are basically Fighting Spirit except more open.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=158246 - My Maps
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
October 04 2010 22:22 GMT
#5
On October 05 2010 05:13 Madsquare wrote:
Main size is fairly large, comparble to Lost Temple. May look smaller since its a 144x144 instead of 128x128 map.

Don't let yourself get fooled by liquipedia, there are no 128x128 maps by blizzard. 144x144 is pretty standart actually.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-04 22:26:43
October 04 2010 22:25 GMT
#6
Lost Temple still uses less space because it's a diamond shaped map instead of square like this. 144x144 is pretty big and I think you could make this one smaller.

Edit: I have no problems with the map. Seems nice and stable. I would get rid of even paths and add more textures.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
October 05 2010 02:04 GMT
#7
This looks neat! I however think that the choke of the natural is a bit far away from the main. Maybe move it more in the mains, while pushing the tip of the main in front of the natural slightly, like on LT the ledge helps guard the expansion and the ramp itself is below it and curled off in a safer direction. This would also decrease the amount of creep tumors needed to connect main and nat, which right now looks like four, which is too many.

good luck!
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-06 14:32:05
October 05 2010 13:36 GMT
#8
I said the main is similar to Lost Temple, because its actually similar to Lost Temple. Sapphire has got 24x32 squares + ~1-3rows artwork, the same applies for Lost Temple.

I think I hit my idea pretty well. I wanted to make a lowfeature, macro heavy, standard fashion, with a lot of mapcontrol involved. The flatness and large distances help with this, as far my understanding goes.

Main-Nat can be covered well with 2 tumors.

Im considering moving the mains choke further inside, and also mirroring it, so that it points towards the nat's ressources, instead the exit.
However there wont be a ledge, because I want to punish players for not fast expanding. Due to the distances wich are really far, its quite easy to do that.

I really like the texturing ingame, because its adding some minor tone to the largely violet tone of shakuras. This looks like a dreamscape to me; so calm and simple, yet varied.
Though I will add more strength to the texturing if many people report its an issue to them.

Decisions will come when im completed with the replays.

Thanks for the Feedback

cheers.
madsquare
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
October 06 2010 00:20 GMT
#9
2 tumors? Lol I'm blind
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-06 01:28:01
October 06 2010 01:26 GMT
#10
This map looks very fun to play on; the choke points lend themselves to variability, not obligation.

Personally, I don't like the destructible rocks as they are now. It seems like adjacent spawns favour the person with the open path away from opponent for third, and taking the rocks down to your righthand third will be a pain.

I think you lose very little by modifying or removing them. Alternatively, you could twist the map a little more by putting another diagonal rock piece at the choke to the lefthand third, making an S pathway to the center from natural. This addresses the asymmetry of adjacent spawns, but takes away the semi-open feel.

What if the diagonal rocks were instead a large square that left a small gap? Attackers would still have to clear it to make a big flank maneuver but defenders could reposition to the righthand third reasonably well.

In any case this map is solid.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
October 06 2010 01:28 GMT
#11
On October 06 2010 10:26 EatThePath wrote:
This map looks very fun to play on; the choke points lend themselves to variability, not obligation.

Personally, I don't like the destructible rocks as they are now. It seems like adjacent spawns favour the person with the open path away from opponent for third, and taking the rocks down to your righthand third will be a pain.

I think you lose very little by modifying or removing them. Alternatively, you could twist the map a little more by putting that same diagonal rock piece at the choke to the lefthand third, making an S pathway to the center from natural. This addresses the asymmetry of adjacent spawns, but takes away the semi-open feel.

What if the diagonal rocks were instead a large square that left a small gap? Attackers would still have to clear it to make a big flank maneuver but defenders could reposition to the righthand third reasonably well.

In any case this map is solid.


Yes, that is a huge argument right now whether or not rotationally symmetrical maps should be used in tournaments.
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-26 14:47:34
October 06 2010 13:04 GMT
#12
Fixed the plunder with the rocks between natural and third.
Im quite happy with the changes. The map was really solid every time I looked at it, but something felt wrong. Now thats gone (for now at least ). They really didnt fit into the concept and I have no idea why i wanted to force an ultra safe natural.


About the rotational symetrie.
It has the benefit to get rid of close spawns, like on metalopolis. Though it has the disadvantage, that with various layouts one player can expand away from his opponents while the other has to expand towards him.
I adressed this issue as far as i could; if you spawn clockwise of your opponent, your third is nearer to him, while his third is farther from you.
I set the bases up in a way that you can use the clockwise nearest natural as your third. Your 'actual' third and 'possible' third (clockwise nearest natural) have pretty much the same travel distance from the main.

cheers.
madsquare
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
Madsquare
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany157 Posts
November 26 2010 14:56 GMT
#13
Updated.

- Replaced and moved some doodads
- Strengened overall texture work and altered the texture concept


Feel free to leave some feedback!


-madsquare
I do not obey any norms. I redefine standard with every thought I make.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 765
Soma 627
BeSt 405
910 351
Light 323
Horang2 315
Hyuk 274
Jaedong 222
Pusan 122
Stork 121
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 105
Dewaltoss 91
Shinee 59
ZerO 54
Killer 46
Mong 45
Yoon 38
Mind 37
Rush 32
Sharp 28
Bale 26
ggaemo 25
sorry 19
yabsab 18
hero 17
ZergMaN 17
Snow 16
Noble 9
Creator 8
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
Gorgc1171
XcaliburYe196
League of Legends
JimRising 360
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1481
pashabiceps1006
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2401
Khaldor649
Other Games
gofns28370
singsing1366
ceh9676
XBOCT317
Pyrionflax181
DeMusliM158
Mew2King104
ArmadaUGS39
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick597
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream239
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH270
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2226
League of Legends
• Jankos1547
• Stunt496
Other Games
• WagamamaTV177
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
54m
Stellar Fest
2h 54m
The PondCast
23h 54m
OSC
1d 2h
Stellar Fest
1d 2h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.