• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:20
CEST 18:20
KST 01:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7517 users

New Setup Ideas - Page 2

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 20 2009 23:19 GMT
#21
Clues are needed because without them, assuming everyone gets good at the game it will be extremely hard to pin some guys down. The reason some games go badly is because people rely on clues TOO much and don't look at people's reaction which is really what clues are good for imo. Clues are great when used to build a case you already have, not for accusing people. Looking at last game I'm sure everyone sees how much stupidity that resulted in.

Insane/Sane Cops and Millers are all better than Cover because they promote discussion amongst the town in a different way. Cops need to know what another cop did or how a RCd flipped before they can accurately call someone out which means they have to actually play the game smart and not do dumb shit like private roleclaim to someone they dont have any clue about. DTs also need infinite rolechecks. There really is no point in having the role if they can't rolecheck people whenever they need to. The basic formula of mafia is DT+Medic+Vanilla townie vs Mafia. Everything else after is just added fluff.

@Framer/Propagandist role: we had a similar thing in a games before but it was a power given to the Godfather. They could leave one fake clue, usually some kind of item they wanted to include in the night post. GF also had the power to "broadcast" messages to the town during the night (usually funny stuff or threats to specific people).
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Malongo
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Chile3479 Posts
July 21 2009 00:09 GMT
#22
I dont really care that much about the setup at this point. The only thing Id really like is autokill to anyone that doesnt vote, mafia or towie.
Help me! im still improving my English. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. M. G.
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
July 21 2009 00:25 GMT
#23
I'd really like it if we could just have smaller games with less retards.

Quite frankly that's all that needs to be done.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
vx70GTOJudgexv
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3161 Posts
July 21 2009 04:41 GMT
#24
On July 21 2009 09:25 L wrote:
I'd really like it if we could just have smaller games with less retards.

Quite frankly that's all that needs to be done.


Pretty much, it boils down to this. We need better balanced activity in the threads (our AC for games is actually through the roof), less stupid trolling and flaming, and less people.

Also, I think at this point introducing new roles is a bad idea.
(-_-) BW for ever. #1 Iris fan.
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
July 21 2009 05:20 GMT
#25
On July 21 2009 08:19 Ace wrote:
Clues are needed because without them, assuming everyone gets good at the game it will be extremely hard to pin some guys down. The reason some games go badly is because people rely on clues TOO much and don't look at people's reaction which is really what clues are good for imo. Clues are great when used to build a case you already have, not for accusing people. Looking at last game I'm sure everyone sees how much stupidity that resulted in.

Insane/Sane Cops and Millers are all better than Cover because they promote discussion amongst the town in a different way. Cops need to know what another cop did or how a RCd flipped before they can accurately call someone out which means they have to actually play the game smart and not do dumb shit like private roleclaim to someone they dont have any clue about. DTs also need infinite rolechecks. There really is no point in having the role if they can't rolecheck people whenever they need to. The basic formula of mafia is DT+Medic+Vanilla townie vs Mafia. Everything else after is just added fluff.

@Framer/Propagandist role: we had a similar thing in a games before but it was a power given to the Godfather. They could leave one fake clue, usually some kind of item they wanted to include in the night post. GF also had the power to "broadcast" messages to the town during the night (usually funny stuff or threats to specific people).


Actually last game the number of sane/insane cops was unknown, so really knowing what other DTs did wouldn't really have helped there. If you set the number before hand, then it could work. My thing with cover is that in the past, we've had a lot of role checking vets which resulted in big debates and big name players just getting killed early. Cover gets rid of that problem. Although the downside of cover is that encourages the DTs to work behind the scenes, which is something we might not like. DTs need infinite checks, but I know this has been strongly opposed in the past. If the insane DT system is used, then DTs NEED infinite role checks. 3 role checks is not enough and the way we always restrict DT checks to only after day 2 really hinders their ability to get started figuring stuff out.

The basic formula is DT Medic Green + mafia, but in a large game vigis or a liberal double lynch system with few restrictions is necessary. Otherwise we have issues on killing a large number of mafia. Especially in this current game: when you have 8 mafia for a 38 player game, you need a way to eliminate mafia before you start dying off too fast.

Which game(s) had the a framer/propagandist-like role? And how did that turn out?
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 21 2009 05:36 GMT
#26
You don't need to know the # of DTs in the game. What I meant by that was the Cop just has to figure out which of the two he is (because both have to exist in the same game). If you know what another DT did, you could do the same thing and figure out your alignment from there.

Role checking vets is just part of the game. It happens. Thats why you see millers, insane/sane cops and Godfathers - all of which do a better job of adding discussion to the game than Cover ever will. You need big debates about facts and motives or else the game will be terrible and the last game shows you why when they stopped doing that.

I've almost always been in favor of infinite role checks. Honestly I don't know where the idea of limiting DT role checks started but it had to be in combination with something else. As for 8 mafia in a 30 player game I agree the town needs a way to kill them off without having to lynch a lot. Vigis and Dbl lynch are always needed in that case or as you've implied the town is going to be massacred.

I only remember the Godfather using the fake clue thing like twice, probably because it's not easy to always figure out what clues tie to what mafia and then twist it correctly. As for the announcement thing that was rarely used.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 05:52:22
July 21 2009 05:52 GMT
#27
On July 21 2009 14:36 Ace wrote:
You don't need to know the # of DTs in the game. What I meant by that was the Cop just has to figure out which of the two he is (because both have to exist in the same game). If you know what another DT did, you could do the same thing and figure out your alignment from there.


What I meant was the number of insane DTs. If you do not know the number of sane/insane DTs, then even if you know someone else's results, you can't know your alignment since there could be two insane DTs or whatnot. Anyway this isn't too big of a problem. I see your point with cover. You can't really discuss motive when using that mechanism. It probably adds the wrong kind of doubt that we want. But definitely infinite role checks. I think we're on the same boat there.

As I see that you haven't made many critical comments about framer/propagandist, would it be appropriate to add it just for fun/comic relief? (Framer actually could serve a purpose though).
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
July 21 2009 06:04 GMT
#28
well yea. I doubt that role could really be game breaking and if we ever start playing themed games that role will obviously be well received. It's just that we have issues with just getting people to remain active when they don't get the current Blue roles so they never get used to their full potential.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 07:22:15
July 21 2009 07:17 GMT
#29
I would like to see Caller's game happen, with whatever rules he wants to set. I don't think it's necessary to have such a big discussion like this

Actually the one discussion I would like to have is having smurfing compulsory in the next game. This can easily be arranged in a number of ways;
1) Everyone creates their own smurf, pms me with the details and ill add them to the forum
2) I create 100 accounts called Mafia_1 ... Mafia_100 and everyone customizes their profile (accounts are re-given out each game)
3) I create 100 accounts called Mafia_THUNDERSTORM etc and players can customize their profiles (accounts can also be re-given out each game)
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
July 21 2009 09:25 GMT
#30
The problem with hosts doing stuff on their own is that it's really really hard to balance stuff out while promoting good new ideas on your own. Out of 9 games made solo, only 2 have had solid balance (chuiu game 2 bc's 1st game); Chuiu's is really tough to say objectively, as it had so many bizarre occurrences that warped the outcome, while BC says he got extremely lucky in his game being somewhat balanced (even then there were many role problems). I know back when I was starting out I had a whole game planned that as I look at it right now it would be a disaster.

I think Callers game will happen still. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't; but so long as there are 2 games (which will probably happen) there should be coordination between them.

And I (and so far everyone else) who's said anything is up for a smurf game. It sounds delightful and extremely amusing. Option 1 seems the best; I'm sure seeing whos who afterwards would be hilarious as it's easier to tell people apart (another plus).
Liquipedia
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
July 21 2009 15:39 GMT
#31
On July 21 2009 16:17 Plexa wrote:
I would like to see Caller's game happen, with whatever rules he wants to set. I don't think it's necessary to have such a big discussion like this

Actually the one discussion I would like to have is having smurfing compulsory in the next game. This can easily be arranged in a number of ways;
1) Everyone creates their own smurf, pms me with the details and ill add them to the forum
2) I create 100 accounts called Mafia_1 ... Mafia_100 and everyone customizes their profile (accounts are re-given out each game)
3) I create 100 accounts called Mafia_THUNDERSTORM etc and players can customize their profiles (accounts can also be re-given out each game)


I am up for a smurf game, but option 2 would just drive me crazy. I already have problems with confusing people with somewhat similar names (for the longest time I kept confusing malongo and mandalor, sorry guys). Accounts only differentiated by a number? I would spend all day hunting for clues for Mafia_15 when it was really Mafia_5 I thought was suspicious......

Either one of 1 or 3 would be fine by me though, depending on if you think it's easier to distribute account names each game or add smurf names to the forum each game.
Uff Da
Foolishness *
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3044 Posts
July 21 2009 15:53 GMT
#32
A smurf game would be quite excellent indeed.
geript: "Foolishness's cases are persuasive and reasonable but leave you feeling dirty afterwards. Kinda like a whore." ---- Manager of the TL Mafia forum, come play!
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
July 21 2009 16:42 GMT
#33
smurf should be good
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
July 21 2009 17:09 GMT
#34
I, too, mixed up mandalor and malongo at first, and L and LTT kind of blended together.
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
July 21 2009 17:11 GMT
#35
Also, I thought cover was a lot better than having millers / insane DTs because there was actually strategy/planning/thinking to it rather than just odds.
Infundibulum
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States2552 Posts
July 21 2009 19:17 GMT
#36
I think a smurf game sounds awesome. I would make a name that's easier to type

I don't know too much about balance but I hope we can leave the Mad Hatter role in. It's prob my favorite role and it has a lot of potential.
LoL NA: MothLite == Steam: p0nd
Caller
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Poland8075 Posts
July 21 2009 19:33 GMT
#37
On July 22 2009 04:17 iNfuNdiBuLuM wrote:
I think a smurf game sounds awesome. I would make a name that's easier to type

I don't know too much about balance but I hope we can leave the Mad Hatter role in. It's prob my favorite role and it has a lot of potential.

I have something like that in my game-Red Army Demoman
-he acts like a combo of a suicide bomber as well as a meth dealer.
Watch me fail at Paradox: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397564
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 20:40:26
July 21 2009 20:40 GMT
#38
One problem of smurfing...is player imbalance. I don't think we want a repeat of Chuiu's last game where all the good players were on the town side. Would smurf accounts be completely anonymous or would the host know who is who just so we don't end up with an all-star mafia/town team?
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
Foolishness *
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3044 Posts
July 21 2009 23:23 GMT
#39
On July 22 2009 05:40 Incognito wrote:
One problem of smurfing...is player imbalance. I don't think we want a repeat of Chuiu's last game where all the good players were on the town side. Would smurf accounts be completely anonymous or would the host know who is who just so we don't end up with an all-star mafia/town team?


I think it would be best if it were double blind. Since it's a smurf game I don't think it'd be as easy even if all the good players were on town side.
geript: "Foolishness's cases are persuasive and reasonable but leave you feeling dirty afterwards. Kinda like a whore." ---- Manager of the TL Mafia forum, come play!
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
July 21 2009 23:38 GMT
#40
Option 3)

I want a RAD NAME.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1239
ComeBackTV 1000
SteadfastSC847
TaKeTV 545
IndyStarCraft 196
Rex141
EnkiAlexander 81
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 847
IndyStarCraft 196
Rex 141
ProTech124
BRAT_OK 37
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 43012
Bisu 2384
EffOrt 945
Shuttle 603
Soma 481
BeSt 477
Mini 398
Larva 344
Light 333
Rush 209
[ Show more ]
ZerO 200
Hyuk 128
firebathero 77
Mong 73
Snow 52
Pusan 52
Sexy 43
ToSsGirL 33
Terrorterran 26
Trap 25
JYJ 21
Bale 18
yabsab 14
Rock 14
Shine 14
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Dewaltoss 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9311
qojqva1377
Counter-Strike
fl0m1056
Fnx 803
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1547
Khaldor1192
Other Games
singsing2208
hiko1409
FrodaN457
DeMusliM408
Livibee199
Hui .177
ArmadaUGS163
XaKoH 113
KnowMe113
QueenE90
Mew2King83
ZerO(Twitch)13
CosmosSc2 9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV229
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream77
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 45
• StrangeGG 36
• Hinosc 13
• Gemini_19 10
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 43
• Michael_bg 11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3683
• TFBlade594
Other Games
• Shiphtur349
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 41m
CranKy Ducklings
17h 41m
Online Event
18h 41m
FEL
23h 41m
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.