• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:26
CEST 20:26
KST 03:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9518 users

Back To The Basics Mini Mafia - Page 14

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 All
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=437262
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 03:38 GMT
#2749
I agree with you that Onegu's case on Mocsta was terrible (by which I mean it proved nothing about Mocsta), but there were some other posts he made towards the end of D2 (IIRC) which made me question my scumread of him. It was a feeling and as such very difficult to express in the thread but I decided I didn't want to lynch him based on those posts.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 03:41 GMT
#2753
Also, Corazon, are you claiming Onegu was a better lynch than Holyflare the next day?
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 04:26 GMT
#2770
ALL? bold words
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 04:35 GMT
#2775
Look, I take responsibility for my part in the Rayn lynch. I misread him and that's on me. But if you're generalising your points about bullying and shitting up town atmosphere to me, that I object to.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 04:54:38
December 03 2013 04:51 GMT
#2782
On December 03 2013 13:46 yamato77 wrote:
...
Thread atmosphere is a culmination of every player's tone, however, and I do think it takes someone to mediate between feuding players to keep the game from degenerating. My criticism here is that no one seems to do this anymore, they just let two players argue incessantly. Hapa is a great town player in this regard, he is quick to both de-tunnel himself in those situations if he is arguing, and to step in if two others are destroying the thread. Someone has to mitigate the negativity.

I tried that at a couple of points IIRC (EDIT: mostly d2 so I suppose you wouldn't have seen it) but it didn't improve much. Whether that's because I don't have the strength of personality of Hapa or because the feuding of townies these days is far more implacable... who knows?
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 05:32 GMT
#2790
On the reading and writing of cases
+ Show Spoiler +
This section was written D3 so there are some flips I haven't seen yet. Just FYI.

I saw a couple of people complaining/ranting this game that nobody read their cases. (Particularly thinking Cora, Onegu and Rayn here, though there may be others). I have a couple of things to say to you all.

1) I read everything you wrote at least once. I read everything at least once and I respond to what I choose to respond to, which is generally most of it eventually. Can any of you say you seriously evaluated Rayn's cases which he begged us to read D1 and posted your conclusions in the thread? 'cos I can.

Whatever you may think my opinion of you is, know that I do read what you write.

2) Just because you put effort into your cases doesn't mean I'm obliged to agree with you. And it doesn't mean that, even if you were right about someone's alignment, you made a case which proved it. Getting angry at me because you put effort in and I still don't agree with you solves nothing. Try to understand what my reservations are, and convince me.

3) If I have to spend as much time reading your case as you spent writing it to understand it, or even a significant fraction as long, your case needs to be refined more. Remember, I have to read everybody's cases AND write my own. Expecting me to spend as much time trying to understand your contribution as you spent on your contribution is not a reasonable expectation of me. I've waited to join a game of mafia until I had quite a lot of time to spend on it, but I don't have THAT much time.

I do have some advice for writing cases. I'm particularly thinking of Onegu's cases here since he particularly said it was a weakness of his (IIRC) but he's not the only one who could write more clearly.

1) Lead with a point indicating scum mentality, and then justify it.. When I read a "stream-of-consciousness" post or a list of posts ordered chronologically it is very difficult to follow your arguments. If you separate your quotes into sections based on what point you're proving with them it will help a lot.

2) Don't just tell me what they posted. I have already read the thread and I know (more or less) how the opinion of each player evolved in the game. You will probably need to quote them somewhat to justify your opinion, but don't quote them just for the sake of it. I want to see justified conclusions not rambling thoughts.

3) Less is more. The longer your post is, the harder it is to navigate and read. Two ways of dealing with this are:
a) Take out the less conclusive stuff. I'm not interested in posts which are mostly null.
b) Put quotes in spoilers. Put sections in spoilers. Separating sections into spoilers does wonders for the readability of a post.




Some other comments for particular players:

Thrawn, Sciberbia
I doubt I have much constructive I can say to either of you since you're both considerably more seasoned players than I. It was a pleasure to play with you both, though.

Chezinu
?
Earned yourself a nightkill though so well played on that basis.

Mocsta
Likewise, a pleasure. This was the towniest game I've ever seen you play (not entirely sure why I think that, but whatever). I still saw some questionable single-post reads and leaps of logic from you BUT you seemed to mostly identify the dodgy ones and filter them out of your eventual solid reads, which I was very happy to see.

I think Thrawn's answered your questions about your play more effectively than I could, so I'll leave that to him.

Bereft
You were clearly town and didn't rely on your doctor role as a crutch. There are probably improvements you could make to your play but I can't easily come up with any that haven't been mentioned already.

JarJarDrinks
Your lynch was unfortunate, but at that point in the game a townie was almost certainly going to get lynched; to lynch scum we'd have had to find Sciberbia (a comparatively active player) and lynch him, lynch an uncounterclaimed doctor in Holyflare, or lynch a slot which hadn't posted for 48+ hours. Your number came up on the dice rather than Onegu's. Sorry.

Onegu
I think part of the reason you get mislynched often as town (or at least, the reason I regarded you as at least possible scum this game) is that your arguments are, for lack of a better word, mechanical. That isn't a criticism of your play. What I'm trying to say is that I feel like you follow a fairly rigid process when making your reads and arguments, and it's a process which you could emulate quite closely as scum. I wouldn't be suprised to see you produce umpteen pages of notes as scum. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it is how I percieve your play.

As for improving your reads... I can tell you one or two things I think you're doing wrong but I'm not sure how constructive it'll be. Anyway. My feeling when I read your cases (particularly the one on Mocsta) was that you were looking through his filter and coming up with a plausible scum motivation for all of them. The step which I think was missing is to look at the posts and think "Is there a plausible town motivation as well?". You might also look at the stuff on case-writing above, though I think you already did a fair bit of that in the last case you posted (on Corazon?).

Holyflare, Alakaslam
Not having actually played scum I won't presume to offer you advice. Well played though.

I think I've already said everything I need to to Corazon and Rayn.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 06:47:56
December 03 2013 06:46 GMT
#2803
On December 03 2013 15:34 Holyflare wrote:
As far as the game itself, I can't really say anything other than the arguments ruined it for you. I was allowed to play scummy as hell and get away with it because so much attention was drawn away from me it was unreal. My claim allowed things like this to occur:
Show nested quote +

Holyflare
11-23-2013
10:04 PM ET (US)
Haha this works so well, they spend the day talking about my role only to realise "hey we can't lynch a potential doctor and we really don't know if he's scum or not" then they realise they have no real guess work for the day and default to their original scum trail of onegu. Successful day wasted.


To be honest, rean's slot being AFK for almost all of d2 kind of made a mess of my plans for the day. Though I agree d2 could have gone better.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 07:29:42
December 03 2013 07:20 GMT
#2813
Corazon, I've been at least partially in your position before. I've been frusturated because I thought nobody was paying attention to my cases and my arguments.
+ Show Spoiler +
Particularly I'm thinking of wanting to lynch Kickstart over Munk-E in Newbie XXXI and TestSubject over Glurio in TL Mafia LX, if anyone's interested.

However, in neither of those cases did I get mad, despite my inclination to do so. Why? Because it wouldn't make anyone more interested in talking to me, and it wouldn't make the game any more fun for anyone else.

Other approaches I've used in the past which you might want to keep in mind are:
  • Ask specific people - nicely - why they're not voting for your read. Keep an open mind; they might have entirely valid reasons why they're disagreeing with you. If you are nasty about it you're unlikely to get useful responses. If you ask the entire thread you're probably not going to get many responses, either.
    People won't always offer all their thought to the thread of their own accord. If you don't ask, they won't necessarily tell. Hell, sometimes they may not even tell if you do ask, for their own reasons.
  • Simply drop it and revisit it the next day. Sometimes a particular lynch just isn't going to happen until people have a chance to fully analyse your case over the night phase.
  • Consider the cases of other people instead of only thinking about your own. There's generally more than one scum in the game. Even if you're right about your read someone else might be right about theirs too. Lynching their scum before your scum doesn't really cost you anything. If nothing else, if you do other people the courtesy of commenting on their cases they are more likely to do the same for you.


Your reasons for behaving as you did in this game explain your actions to me. I now have a better understanding of why you did what you did. However, they do not justify your actions, and furthermore didn't help you either win the game or have fun playing it. Holding the game to ransom, making the game unfun for everybody, is simply unjustifiable - which is why the postgame comments have been coming down on you so hard.

Blaming Onegu for your read on him isn't exactly sportsmanlike either - it's a kind of justifiable thing to say about a lurker who puts no effort in, but Onegu clearly gave some kind of a damn about this game regardless of his alignment. He played to his wincon as best he knew how, and that is all I ask of anyone.

I offer this to you as reasonable feedback on your play, trying to understand your motivations as best I can. I don't need you to reply - either you take my feedback on board, or you don't.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 07:41 GMT
#2819
One other general comment I have about this game is that townies really do need to try to save themselves from being lynched. Both Rayn and Onegu martyred a fair bit and almost seemed to want to get themselves lynched (Rayn self-voted and Onegu tried to extract promises from people to do stuff after his flip... at MYLO).

Now look I agree that scum have no reason to want themselves lynched - but townies shouldn't either. Furthermore, since martyring is a comparatively easy thing to emulate as scum, but scum have "no reason to do it", that in as of itself makes it something scum might choose to do. Especially if we start giving out townreads for it.

If you find coming under suspicion so unpleasant that you just want to get lynched to get away from it (and to be able to say "I told you so" to whoever suspected you) then perhaps Mafia is not the game for you.

(JarJar's position was quite awkward since I believe he wasn't around for most of D2 to defend himself. Therefore, I don't blame him - but even if his absense wasn't his fault, that didn't help us stop a mislynch.)
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 07:58:09
December 03 2013 07:57 GMT
#2828
On December 03 2013 16:54 yamato77 wrote:
thrawn - obviously town, a little backseat for my tastes.

You have good reads in general, and know how to play town, you just don't have that leader-y quality that top tier townies do.

That being said, an entire town of leaders might not accomplish a whole lot, so I don't think this would be necessarily a bad thing.

@Onegu: besides what I've said already I don't really have any general advice for you, but if you have specific questions I (and/or other people) can try to answer them.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 10:28:58
December 03 2013 09:39 GMT
#2849
Have confidence that even if you get into a little trouble at the start of the game you can talk yourself out of it. Confidence will do wonders for you. (Don't get cocky though, that gets you lynched. It's a fine line to tread.)
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 12:10:32
December 03 2013 12:10 GMT
#2853
Are all the analysts' comments going to boil down to "I stopped seriously reading the thread sometime D2"?

I don't blame you, it's entirely understandable.
Aquanim
Profile Joined November 2012
Australia2849 Posts
December 03 2013 15:13 GMT
#2878
On December 04 2013 00:11 Mocsta wrote:
Seeing that last post of Onegu again.

I would love to know in general why all the town thought it was scummy to have a post restriction and then remove it.

Lol.. like its null .. but if you really wanted to stretch the alignment-boundaries, its definitely townier to remove it.
Scum should be happy to use it as a fallback to lurking.

After your first couple of posts in quick succession it was an object of some amusement to me to guess how soon you were going to ditch the idea... but I basically ignored it in terms of your alignment.
Prev 1 12 13 14 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 417
UpATreeSC 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1041
actioN 393
Dewaltoss 145
firebathero 89
Zeus 65
Trap 44
Sexy 30
zelot 27
ToSsGirL 22
Bale 22
[ Show more ]
soO 21
JYJ 19
Shine 16
NaDa 14
Dota 2
Gorgc7146
qojqva2002
Dendi933
420jenkins157
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1285
Fnx 674
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5824
Liquid`Hasu1046
Other Games
Grubby5057
summit1g1303
Beastyqt759
B2W.Neo634
ceh9473
byalli351
C9.Mang0154
KnowMe146
ArmadaUGS144
Khaldor122
TKL 109
BRAT_OK 83
Railgan11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV253
WardiTV251
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 30
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• FirePhoenix17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3775
Other Games
• Shiphtur368
• WagamamaTV312
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 34m
Kung Fu Cup
16h 34m
Stellar Fest
18h 34m
The PondCast
1d 15h
OSC
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.