Shadowing - What is shadowing?
Shadowing is participating alongside one of the players of a game of Mafia. Think of it as sort of a reverse coaching. In traditional coaching, you as the player are asking for tips and advice from your coach in regards to your role and the game-state. In the case of shadowing, you are in direct contact with ONE player with the goal of getting insight into how that player perceives and plays their current game. The shadow never interacts directly with the game/thread or others involved with the game. It is a one-to-one relationship with a single player in a game.
Hosts reserve the right to deny allowing shadows in their games. Please respect the hosts' wishes.
Rules of Shadowing
- Shadowing must be cleared with the game host.
- You may choose to request being a shadow with a player of your own choice.
- You may not receive the Observer QT.
- You may not receive or know the alignment of any other player in the game.
- You may not disclose the interactions you have with your shadow to anyone outside of the host and the player you are shadowing until the game has ended.
- Remember that the player you are shadowing is doing you a great service!
During the game:
- Do not tell people who you are shadowing
- At any point the player you are shadowing may have to prioritize rl or actually playing the game, at that point, you may be put on the back burner, be accommodating.
- You may only communicate with the person you are shadowing with respect to the game
- Its your job to keep in touch with your mentor. Use any resources you deem amicable. PM, private QT, Skype, etc.
- Disclose your shadowing and share anything you feel is relevant.
- Ideas for things to talk about include how your views of the game were different from the players'.
- Share analysis / tips you have learned after the game has ended, so that others may also benefit.
Rules for the player being shadowed
- Don't give the person you are shadowing any knowledge other than that of your alignment, and if you want role.
- Don't talk about your shadow in the thread
- Try to keep in touch with the shadow and keep them informed. Remember, you are essentially a mentor.
- If anything looks odd or goes wrong, it is your job to get inform the host as fast as possible.
Each shadow team must be cleared by the host to be able to shadow in their game. This thread will keep a list of players who want to be shadowed, and people who want to shadow so we can get them in touch with each other and then in touch with the host. This can also serve as a sort of queue if the demand is high enough.
Post here, or PM me to get on the list. With any luck this will raise the general level of play, and allow newer players a way to get a better insight into the game.
(credit for the revamped op goes to ObviousOne, who re-wrote it for me)