• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:53
CEST 20:53
KST 03:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11626 users

Pick Your Power: Redux - Page 15

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 87 Next
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
May 14 2012 16:36 GMT
#281
On May 15 2012 01:32 deconduo wrote:
Heya

I'm picking [1,1] and I'm gonna take godfather if I'm unopposed. Why? The main reason is thatl it denies mafia (and SK) a pretty powerful role, and means that any DT checks become a lot more reliable. I also wanted to play an unusual class this time.

But what if I'm scum? Well the power of the godfather role arises from the fact that town don't know who has it. Any clean DT check is unreliable, and any lynch could give mafia a free kill. However if town knows exactly who the godfather is, nearly all of the role's power is negated. Its a win/win either way.

If you're scum nothing stops you from picking another role secretly and let one of your buddies pick gf later. But I like this plan. Mainly because I think you're town due to if you were scum you would had actually thought it through and realised that.
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
May 14 2012 16:36 GMT
#282
Ok. I strongy disagree with people telling us the numbers they picked until something like 5 minutes prior to the deadline.

Reasoning: Mafia can talk about this in privacy and figure out what's the best course of action, town can not. I don't need to tell mafia what I picked making it easier (imo) to get a higher draft.

That being said I already send in my numbers and I won't tell people for now :p

I still think #1 and #2 draft both HAVE TO pick CPR. It's the by far strongest role around and we can not let mafia have that role.
#2 picks CPR as well to get some fool-safety.

That way we probably will end up loosing a CPR night 1 or mafia shoots into a hider / vet if the #1 guy chose to take the rnd-chance that #2 is town as well (yeah I am assuming that #1 is town for the sake of discussion, if #1 ends up being mafia we don't even need this discussion, that's why). But I am frankly perfectly fine with that.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:37 GMT
#283
Sandroba's denial plan (TM)
1.GF
2.RB
3.Janitor

GF is there because it's powerful. RB and janitor are there because as soon as there are 2 rb claims or janitor is used you know the guy in that position is mafia. Also there is only 1 rb'er (besides jailer) so denying mafia rb makes claiming later much more powerful.
Every guy after that picks what ever focusing on roles that are great for both sides or are extremely good for town first (kp/protection/investigation).
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:39 GMT
#284
I've thought about assigning cpr too, but I'm not sure it's good since target for mafia to hit if the guy in the pos is town. So I think it's best for it to remain open.
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
May 14 2012 16:40 GMT
#285
On May 15 2012 01:36 risk.nuke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2012 01:32 deconduo wrote:
Heya

I'm picking [1,1] and I'm gonna take godfather if I'm unopposed. Why? The main reason is thatl it denies mafia (and SK) a pretty powerful role, and means that any DT checks become a lot more reliable. I also wanted to play an unusual class this time.

But what if I'm scum? Well the power of the godfather role arises from the fact that town don't know who has it. Any clean DT check is unreliable, and any lynch could give mafia a free kill. However if town knows exactly who the godfather is, nearly all of the role's power is negated. Its a win/win either way.

If you're scum nothing stops you from picking another role secretly and let one of your buddies pick gf later. But I like this plan. Mainly because I think you're town due to if you were scum you would had actually thought it through and realised that.


Oh yeah, I forgot about dropping roles down. I'll try to think of a way to compensate for that, maybe a check on me first night? Though with a possible framer as well it gets annoying. My hope was to have the framer as the only possible way for scum to fuck with DT checks.
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
May 14 2012 16:41 GMT
#286
someone who knows game balance.

would 15 blue townies vs 4 "role"mafia and 1 "role"sk be town favored?
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:42 GMT
#287
@decon I'd rather you picked other numbers and let luck decide who takes GF at 1. I agree that it loses power if you know where it is, but it doesn't necessarily has to be you. It's safer that way, I'm sure you agree.
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
May 14 2012 16:42 GMT
#288
On May 15 2012 01:39 sandroba wrote:
I've thought about assigning cpr too, but I'm not sure it's good since target for mafia to hit if the guy in the pos is town. So I think it's best for it to remain open.


ok but you do agree that the CPR is the by far strongest power for mafia right?
I agree that it's not the strongest role for Town at all. You might pull a Toad on everyone and end up shooting 3 townies but we can not let mafia have CPR. That being said I don't even care if a townie CPR dies to mafia.
<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:46 GMT
#289
I do. Mafia is not likely to get shot, so town cpr is very good (infinite vigi). It's very strong for both teams. Do you agree with my denial plan? I need everyone that sees a problem with it to step up and say it.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:48 GMT
#290
And how exactly assigning cpr will prevent mafia from getting it or using it?
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
May 14 2012 16:48 GMT
#291
On May 15 2012 01:46 sandroba wrote:
I do. Mafia is not likely to get shot, so town cpr is very good (infinite vigi). It's very strong for both teams. Do you agree with my denial plan? I need everyone that sees a problem with it to step up and say it.

I like your denial plan.

can you answer my question
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
May 14 2012 16:50 GMT
#292
On May 15 2012 01:42 sandroba wrote:
@decon I'd rather you picked other numbers and let luck decide who takes GF at 1. I agree that it loses power if you know where it is, but it doesn't necessarily has to be you. It's safer that way, I'm sure you agree.


Given that mafia could drop the role down, I'm more inclined to stick to my position. I know I'm town, and by taking GF I know for certain it will be denied. It also means that if mafia do want to get the #1 spot, they are forced to openly oppose me by picking [1,1]
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
May 14 2012 16:51 GMT
#293
On May 15 2012 01:46 sandroba wrote:
I do. Mafia is not likely to get shot, so town cpr is very good (infinite vigi). It's very strong for both teams. Do you agree with my denial plan? I need everyone that sees a problem with it to step up and say it.


I totally agree with it for the most part and like I already said pregame (I was allowed to talk about roles as long as I don't do plans :p) the roles that you listed are very powerful for mafia.

I don't actually think the GF part of the GF isn't that strong for mafia in this set-up imo because frankly a tracker or bullet-bob seems much more powerful than any kind of cop in this set-up but the vengeful part of this role adds up.

The janitor is just really screwing with town and the RB is really hard for town to use (if at all) but still very nice for mafia to kill people or RB them.


The only thing I disagree about is that the CPR is not there. +1 kill every night can lose us the game at before d3 has started as pointed out by me, although the example I did was tailored for a 15 player game.
Therefore I will not agree to any plan that hasn't a CPR as #1 denial in it.

<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
deconduo
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Ireland4122 Posts
May 14 2012 16:51 GMT
#294
I'd also say that janitor is probably more dangerous that RB, assuming people get informed if they are RBed.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:51 GMT
#295
@mattchew sorry i missed it. I would say yes, very town favored. 15 blues aren't guaranteed though.

I have a new adition to the denial plan
4.pardoner
He actually sends pardon through pms so we profit from knowing where it is.
Mattchew
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States5684 Posts
May 14 2012 16:54 GMT
#296
On May 15 2012 01:51 sandroba wrote:
@mattchew sorry i missed it. I would say yes, very town favored. 15 blues aren't guaranteed though.

I have a new adition to the denial plan
4.pardoner
He actually sends pardon through pms so we profit from knowing where it is.

Ok.. so what if we assigned everyone to enter a number and also assigned them a role. It would create a pre-game accountability for people and we would have better shot of getting 10+ roles to town...

theres something wrong with this plan that needs to be pointed out to me.. i just cant figure out what it is yet
There is always tomorrow nshs.seal.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:58 GMT
#297
@decon I asked this already and they are informed. I fail to see how dropping godfather is good. Means that if gf is ever killed we get a bonus mafia for free.
@toad tell me how assigning cpr will help to keep it off mafia hands. GF is strong because it's imunity to checks + 1 free kill. But it's way stronger as mafia so that's why it's in the denial plan. Unlike cpr which is strong as both alignments.
sandroba
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada4998 Posts
May 14 2012 16:59 GMT
#298
On May 15 2012 01:54 Mattchew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 15 2012 01:51 sandroba wrote:
@mattchew sorry i missed it. I would say yes, very town favored. 15 blues aren't guaranteed though.

I have a new adition to the denial plan
4.pardoner
He actually sends pardon through pms so we profit from knowing where it is.

Ok.. so what if we assigned everyone to enter a number and also assigned them a role. It would create a pre-game accountability for people and we would have better shot of getting 10+ roles to town...

theres something wrong with this plan that needs to be pointed out to me.. i just cant figure out what it is yet

it's town favored if mafia doesn't know exactly where all important blues are. There is not enough protection roles around to make this work. And it's very good for SK too. So yeah it sucks for town.
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
May 14 2012 17:00 GMT
#299
I don't think I agree on pardoner. The mafias benefit of having a pardoner (an extra night) is significantly reduced by having a game stacked with blues.
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
talismania
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States2364 Posts
May 14 2012 17:00 GMT
#300
On May 15 2012 01:37 sandroba wrote:
Sandroba's denial plan (TM)
1.GF
2.RB
3.Janitor

GF is there because it's powerful. RB and janitor are there because as soon as there are 2 rb claims or janitor is used you know the guy in that position is mafia. Also there is only 1 rb'er (besides jailer) so denying mafia rb makes claiming later much more powerful.
Every guy after that picks what ever focusing on roles that are great for both sides or are extremely good for town first (kp/protection/investigation).


I like this but I would swap CPR doc for GF at number 1. As toad is pointing out, CPR doc is way too powerful to have as scum (or SK). In fact I would make it so that #2 is required to RB the CPR doc as a failsafe until we decide it's really necessary to use it as a vig. Then both would have to be scum for them to use their powers otherwise (because CPR doc can confirm he was roleblocked since I'm assuming those roleblocked are told so).

Also, why are people scared of GF that people want to pick it #1? It doesn't even seem like a good role for scum to have given how many KP roles there are. Furthermore I don't think there's much point in relying on the information roles in a game with framers and roleblockers and all that. We'll probably do just as well with old-fashioned analysis rather than waiting for parity cop/tracker/bullet bill/etc claims.
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 87 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1174
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1174
ByuN 490
TKL 409
IndyStarCraft 278
Reynor 237
EmSc Tv 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28224
Calm 2500
Shuttle 376
Mini 173
White-Ra 144
firebathero 93
Mong 55
scan(afreeca) 22
soO 14
Sacsri 6
[ Show more ]
ZZZero.O 4
Dota 2
Gorgc11268
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3599
Liquid`Hasu490
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2321
fl0m2091
FrodaN1737
summit1g1022
olofmeister842
B2W.Neo788
Khaldor448
Beastyqt294
crisheroes169
Livibee164
Mew2King72
ToD61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick480
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 13
EmSc2Tv 13
angryscii 10
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach57
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV589
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur606
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
7m
BSL Open Qualifier
7m
OSC
4h 7m
Replay Cast
4h 7m
OSC
17h 7m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.