• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:49
CEST 18:49
KST 01:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7257 users

Pre-orders "outpaced" HotS

Forum Index > Legacy of the Void
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
necrosexy
Profile Joined March 2011
451 Posts
November 03 2015 04:59 GMT
#1
http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=939963

On November 10, 2015, Blizzard Entertainment expects to launch StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void™, the third installment of the company's real-time strategy sequel. Pre-purchases have outpaced Heart of the Swarm®, the previous installment.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
November 03 2015 05:39 GMT
#2
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
NKexquisite
Profile Joined January 2009
United States911 Posts
November 03 2015 05:47 GMT
#3
Neat to hear. I didn't pre-order LOTV, but I pre-ordered WoL and HoTS. I didn't pre-order this time because I just didn't see a benefit to doing so. I'll swing by Best Buy or something after work on release day and pick it up
Whattttt Upppppppp Im Nesteaaaaaa!!
Dracover
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia177 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 05:50:04
November 03 2015 05:49 GMT
#4
I love this kind of stuff cause it tell you a lot of what they spend their money on.

So for every $1 you pay to them
32 cents is profit
32 cents is to actually produce what they're selling you
14 cents is to pay for the development of their next game
22 cents is marketing sales and other "company stuff"

or in other words
46 cents is for producing what your buying/what you might buy
54 cents is for stuff the customer doesn't value.

EDIT: If only you can see this buy product.
Don't stop
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 06:18:33
November 03 2015 06:00 GMT
#5
Nice, I just put $500 in Activision. Not a ton, but if their stock jumps 10% tomorrow, that's $50 :D
Andarus.Terran
Profile Joined November 2015
3 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 07:16:32
November 03 2015 06:03 GMT
#6
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm


Wat? I bought a Key on --edited-- and did not even know they had PreOrder Stuff, but seriously are there people who really play that Casual-DotA Clone? I doubt anyone bought that Game for a Hero in there. I think I got some Heros from the Diablo 3 CE, but never even installed it lol

User was banned for this post.
skatbone
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1005 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 07:16:49
November 03 2015 06:07 GMT
#7
On November 03 2015 15:03 Andarus.Terran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm


Wat? I bought a Key on --edited-- and did not even know they had PreOrder Stuff, but seriously are there people who really play that Casual-DotA Clone? I doubt anyone bought that Game for a Hero in there. I think I got some Heros from the Diablo 3 CE, but never even installed it lol


...

While Heroes isn't exactly pulling the viewers or players that its competitors pull, the Blizzard sponsored world championship games the other day had 30k viewers. I don't enjoy the game but I have friends that do and once you start playing, there is incentive to spend money to keep pace.

As Activision/Blizzard profits, the discussion across a lot of the new Blizz games seems to be about sacrifices in quality to meet deadlines and make money. I am happy for Blizzard but I do feel some ambivalence about the pressure to churn out content at the expense of quality.
Mercurial#1193
varsovie
Profile Joined December 2013
Canada326 Posts
November 03 2015 07:54 GMT
#8
On November 03 2015 15:07 skatbone wrote:
[...] and make money.


fenix404
Profile Joined May 2011
United States305 Posts
November 03 2015 08:06 GMT
#9
even though i'm somewhat disappointed in the missing potential of multiplayer, i'm obviously excited for the next campaign.

more importantly, I NEEDED the diablo probe pet. they got me, sorry, not sorry.
"think for yourself, question authority"
Brutaxilos
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2634 Posts
November 03 2015 08:08 GMT
#10
That's nice. I'm guessing that Protoss' coolness factor is more appealing to the wide audience than Kerrigan. Artanis looks amazingly badass.
Jangbi favorite player. Forever~ CJ herO the King of IEM. BOMBERRRRRRRR. Sexy Boy Rogue. soO #1! Oliveira China Represent!
Foltest
Profile Joined November 2015
1 Post
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 08:14:56
November 03 2015 08:12 GMT
#11
--- Nuked ---
ThunderBum
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia192 Posts
November 03 2015 08:38 GMT
#12
On November 03 2015 14:49 Dracover wrote:
I love this kind of stuff cause it tell you a lot of what they spend their money on.

So for every $1 you pay to them
32 cents is profit
32 cents is to actually produce what they're selling you
14 cents is to pay for the development of their next game
22 cents is marketing sales and other "company stuff"

or in other words
46 cents is for producing what your buying/what you might buy
54 cents is for stuff the customer doesn't value.

EDIT: If only you can see this buy product.


Are you suggesting Blizzard should price their products to break even every release? I actually really enjoy the teasers, Blizzcon, financial support for tournaments, and other things Blizzard do. The way they balance everything within their business is clearly very effective and far more detailed than what you've outlined, and I hope they don't change it because it works so damn well with what they produce. For the amount of time I put into their games they are amazing value.
adwodon
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom592 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-11-03 09:35:30
November 03 2015 09:28 GMT
#13
On November 03 2015 14:49 Dracover wrote:

or in other words
46 cents is for producing what your buying/what you might buy
54 cents is for stuff the customer doesn't value.

EDIT: If only you can see this buy product.


The customer might not value profits and marketing but they are a vital part of running any business. Without them developers and publishers wouldn't expand beyond a small group of people doing it for fun so that is a really short sighted way of putting it.

If you value big AAA games, or frankly anything above basement indies then you should value these things as they make it possible for companies to produce them whilst being viable. Hell if Blizzard didn't make massive profits there's no way they would've given D3 time of day post release, or taken time to cultivate the pro scene of SC2, whilst constantly updating balance. They wouldn't have been able to scrap Titan and produce Overwatch without the massive success of WoW. They certainly wouldn't attract top tier talent in art and design either, producing all those wonderful marketing videos (yes those great CGI trailers are marketing) or put on fun events like Blizzcon. Without profits and marketing they would've folded before they even made Starcraft 1.

Profits and marketing aren't evil. They help businesses grow and continue to produce content and for a pure entertainment industry like games profit is the only thing keeping it alive and thriving.
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
November 03 2015 10:20 GMT
#14
Interesting facts, thanks!


On November 03 2015 14:49 Dracover wrote:
I love this kind of stuff cause it tell you a lot of what they spend their money on.

So for every $1 you pay to them
32 cents is profit
32 cents is to actually produce what they're selling you
14 cents is to pay for the development of their next game
22 cents is marketing sales and other "company stuff"

or in other words
46 cents is for producing what your buying/what you might buy
54 cents is for stuff the customer doesn't value.

EDIT: If only you can see this buy product.


I didn't read the link of the OP, but aren't there supposed to be taxes also?
Even if you remove your own local taxes, and take the price VAT excluded, usually companies still have to pay additional ones.
Depending on how it works in this regard, it could change quite a bit.
AdrianHealeyy
Profile Joined June 2015
114 Posts
November 03 2015 11:04 GMT
#15
On November 03 2015 14:49 Dracover wrote:
I love this kind of stuff cause it tell you a lot of what they spend their money on.

So for every $1 you pay to them
32 cents is profit
32 cents is to actually produce what they're selling you
14 cents is to pay for the development of their next game
22 cents is marketing sales and other "company stuff"

or in other words
46 cents is for producing what your buying/what you might buy
54 cents is for stuff the customer doesn't value.

EDIT: If only you can see this buy product.


For the record (and in case some people are new to this): this is not how entrepreneurship or accounting works.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
November 03 2015 11:34 GMT
#16
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm


Yeah it would be nice if we could compare "# of HotS pre-orders for the sake of SC2" to "# of LotV pre-orders for the sake of SC2" accurately by accounting for other non-SC2 reasons why one might pre-order either game (e.g., the Heroes's Artanis bonus). Were there other pre-order benefits for Heart of the Swarm too? I don't remember. Both pre-orders gained you beta access, at least.

Ideally, it'd be a cool statistic to show something like "Despite the dissension over Heart of the Swarm and any new directions that SC2 have gone in, the number of players who bought SC2: LotV to play SC2 has stayed the same/ increased from SC2: HotS."
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
ThunderBum
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia192 Posts
November 03 2015 11:48 GMT
#17
On November 03 2015 20:34 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm


Yeah it would be nice if we could compare "# of HotS pre-orders for the sake of SC2" to "# of LotV pre-orders for the sake of SC2" accurately by accounting for other non-SC2 reasons why one might pre-order either game (e.g., the Heroes's Artanis bonus). Were there other pre-order benefits for Heart of the Swarm too? I don't remember. Both pre-orders gained you beta access, at least.

Ideally, it'd be a cool statistic to show something like "Despite the dissension over Heart of the Swarm and any new directions that SC2 have gone in, the number of players who bought SC2: LotV to play SC2 has stayed the same/ increased from SC2: HotS."


I think that is exactly what the statistic means if more people buy LotV over HotS. They may not be hardcore starcraft players but they'll try the game if they buy it.
Ramiz1989
Profile Joined July 2012
12124 Posts
November 03 2015 11:56 GMT
#18
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm

But at the same time a lot of them who wanted to pre-order, didn't do it because of the state of LOTV at that time.
"I've been to hell and back, and back to hell…and back. This time, I've brought Hell back with me."
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
November 03 2015 12:07 GMT
#19
I pre-ordered it for the three missions, I guess a lot of people did that as well
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
November 03 2015 12:19 GMT
#20
On November 03 2015 20:48 ThunderBum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2015 20:34 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On November 03 2015 14:39 ETisME wrote:
I wonder how many bought the game for early release of artanis in heroes of the storm


Yeah it would be nice if we could compare "# of HotS pre-orders for the sake of SC2" to "# of LotV pre-orders for the sake of SC2" accurately by accounting for other non-SC2 reasons why one might pre-order either game (e.g., the Heroes's Artanis bonus). Were there other pre-order benefits for Heart of the Swarm too? I don't remember. Both pre-orders gained you beta access, at least.

Ideally, it'd be a cool statistic to show something like "Despite the dissension over Heart of the Swarm and any new directions that SC2 have gone in, the number of players who bought SC2: LotV to play SC2 has stayed the same/ increased from SC2: HotS."


I think that is exactly what the statistic means if more people buy LotV over HotS. They may not be hardcore starcraft players but they'll try the game if they buy it.


I hope that's what the statistic means; I'm just hoping it's as accurate as possible by accounting for other confounding variables
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM605
TaKeTV 179
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 605
TKL 222
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
UpATreeSC 71
Rex 45
Codebar 44
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1001
EffOrt 597
Mini 531
ggaemo 211
firebathero 192
Dewaltoss 114
Rush 78
Barracks 68
910 64
Sea.KH 59
[ Show more ]
Zeus 59
Hyun 50
Shine 47
Killer 38
Shinee 36
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 24
soO 23
Sexy 17
Trap 13
yabsab 11
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4406
Dendi1688
Counter-Strike
Fnx 763
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1003
Liquid`Hasu351
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2289
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt327
ceh9319
Sick185
ArmadaUGS126
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream521
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile129
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade734
Other Games
• WagamamaTV267
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 11m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.