• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:43
CEST 19:43
KST 02:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7917 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 56

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
May 13 2014 15:37 GMT
#1101
I think Liquid is TSM because of the Euro import mid and B L O G B O Y S.
Moderator
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
May 13 2014 15:39 GMT
#1102
On May 14 2014 00:36 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2014 23:54 Kupon3ss wrote:
The C9 Counterpart is EG, which makes the TL DotA team TSM; we even have the same imported European midlaner that carries us


Wouldn't C9 be the TSM of Dota. Liquid would be more like a CLG or Curse


TSM still 1 Euro import shy of being C9. I don't even consider C9 NA-Dota right now. EE may be the face of the team, but its 3/5's European and they are in the European division of a bunch of events(although Dreamleague did put them in the NA division but that was to have an even 4 team split).
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
May 13 2014 17:09 GMT
#1103
Chillin in teamspeak to watch the games, if anyone wants to join me. :O
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
ketchup
Profile Joined August 2010
14521 Posts
May 13 2014 17:38 GMT
#1104
What I don't understand about NA LoL/DotA is why the teams are so inconsistent. NA LoL has started to show signs of consistency, but it's still shaky compared to Korean LoL teams. These DotA NA qualifiers are really similar in that aspect of the lack of consistency in their play.

I just want to try to figure out how a team can look as dominant as Team Liquid did for most of their games yesterday, to what happened in the final game against NAR. I think the craziest part is that it can happen during the game. The batrider had blink by 8mins, but then it seemed like all of Liquid just started making the weirdest/ most suicidal decisions. It doesn't make sense to me how that switch just happens. Sure, you can attribute this to lack of practice, but a team like Liquid must have better practice/organization behind them. What is it about the NA region that causes this to occur across different games?
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
May 13 2014 18:16 GMT
#1105
It's not inconsistency, it's just NAR played better than Liquid and for the most part has played better recently. They're capable of punishing Liquid for misplays that the other NA teams don't.

Yes, Bulba played too loose as Batrider and fed away his tempo (I would argue this was a big factor in TL losing, as Batrider was the key hero with the ability to actually develop Liquid's game plan). Against the weaker NA teams, his recklessness probably would have gone unpunished because as a whole those teams would be worse at responding to the pressure of a blink Batrider than NAR was. Hell, if all of NAR played as loose as Sneyking even with blink Bat in the game, NAR would have lost, but fortunately not all of NAR is as bad as Sneyking.
Moderator
ketchup
Profile Joined August 2010
14521 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-13 19:41:23
May 13 2014 19:12 GMT
#1106
I agree that NAR played better that game. I also think that Liquid could have played better, and they showed more consistent play earlier throughout the day. That last game was so different that I was definitely confused as to why it turned out that way. Even after the Bulba started doing stupid things, Liquid still had a decent chance to even out the game if they had slowed the pace of the game down(in terms of kills/deaths). The teams are definitely more evenly matched.

Still though I think there is a lot of inconsistent play throughout. I didn't expect that SNA would do so well against NAR today then drop a game to EHug afterwards. Maybe I am overrating some of these teams while underrating others which is what is causing me to think these results are odd. I admit I don't know enough about a few of these teams because I don't watch a lot of tournament DotA streams.
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
May 13 2014 19:44 GMT
#1107
On May 14 2014 04:12 ketchup wrote:
I agree that NAR played better that game. I also think that Liquid could have played better, and they showed more consistent play earlier throughout the day. That last game was so different that I was definitely confused as to why it turned out that way. Even after the Bulba started doing stupid things, Liquid still had a decent chance to even out the game if they had slowed the pace of the game down(in terms of kills/deaths). The teams are definitely more evenly matched.

Still though I think there is a lot of inconsistent play throughout. I didn't expect that SNA would do so well against NAR today then drop a game to EHug afterwards. Maybe I am overrating some of these teams while underrating others which is what is causing me to think these results are odd. I admit I don't know much about most of these teams because I don't watch a lot of tournament DotA streams.


One of the biggest factors IMO is the drafting. Some of these drafts in NA DotA are just confusing as hell, even from the 'good' teams, which can cause huge swings in how good they look from game to game. SNA had a solid draft against NAR(and I felt NAR's was somewhat questionable), and Sneyking had some Sneyking moments that basically cost them the game.

That said there are some players on these teams that are the definition of inconsistent, like Sneyking, who actually has some great games but seems to just totally lose focus sometimes and do some of the dumbest shit you will see from a 'pro'' quality player.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-13 19:51:51
May 13 2014 19:51 GMT
#1108
In general the state of the game in DotA is more volatile and the gap between teams on a mechanical level are comparatively smaller at the higher levels. The wild fluctuations in the ability of NAdota against comparable opponents and the importance of individual lineups and execution.

Not even EG DotA (the equivalent of C9 in terms of their skill against the rest of NA) can pick a generic cookie cutter lineup every game and expect it to work 100% of the time due to the variance in drafting and laning that allows predictable styles to be hardcountered.

Another factor is the way scaling and snowballing works in their respective games. Lalush had collected a set of LoL and DotA pro games to compare the overall "snowballiness" of the relative games that gets some of the point across.

On May 09 2014 21:48 LaLuSh wrote:
[image loading]

Bottom red marker represents the 5th percentile, meaning only 5% or 1in20 of a wining team's games are below that marker in terms of gold lead/deficit.

The bottom whisker represents 10th to 25th percentile, which means that between red marker and beginning of whisker is where the 5th to 10th percent of teams with the lowest leads reside. And withinin the whisker the 10th to 25th percentile.

Bottom red box area: 25th to 50th
Top box area: 50th to 75th

Top whisker: 75th to 90th
Top blue cross marker: 95th


The chart shows the winning team's gold lead/deficit over the losing team as a percentage.

The line that goes through the boxes is the average lead.

+ Show Spoiler [non gif graphs] +

[image loading]
[image loading]


One of the key differences in game design is dynamic asymmetric scaling, in which lineups and heroes in DotA do not get stronger at a linear rate of power and CC is far stronger than AD or AP scaling spells. As a result a situation in LoL in which the advantaged team can be caught in poor situations and still often come out even or ahead simply because their "QWER" deals more front-ended damage than their opponents happen more rarely in DotA.

When this is combined with the increased spread of the map and higher potentials of pickoffs due to the lack of vision in DotA and the overall propensity of strategic play that dictates farming a larger portion of the map, it leads to a far greater "ability to throw" in a DotA game in games like

[image loading]

Which ironically, was performed by the DotA Dignitoss but is very representative of the NA scene as a whole.

At the end of the day I think Yango is being too hard on Bulba. A player's inconsistency and instability is not always a bad thing. Sure a more conservative Bulba might not have fed that double kill that brought SF back into the game, but a more conservative Bulba would also likely not have gone all-in to solo kill Sneyking in lane or stole the stacked camps that led to a sub 10 minute blink on an offlane Batrider. Those things are part of how individual players function as part of teams and such "playmakers" need to be balanced with more conservative "anchors" in any functioning lineup.
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-13 20:00:05
May 13 2014 19:58 GMT
#1109
I didn't actually mean to single out Bulba, and I'm sorry if my post seemed like that. It was just meant to point out that what seems like Liquid being extremely solid against weaker teams is in large part those teams being weaker and not being as on point in handling that kind of play.
Moderator
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
May 13 2014 20:10 GMT
#1110
Liquids main problem that game was not so related on actual singular players or plays but rather a lack of a coherent gameplan. Liquid had picked functionally the same lineup for every game besides that one and was hugely outdrafted. The lineup was an odd mix of heroes that wanted to push and teamfight with heroes that wanted to go to the super lategame and spread out the map. As a result unless the team straight up significantly outplayed NAR in every lane, the midgame would be very difficult with a lategame the didn't actually favor liquid even if they got to it.
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
ketchup
Profile Joined August 2010
14521 Posts
May 14 2014 00:37 GMT
#1111
Thanks for the effort in explanation put in from you lot. I need to learn more about the drafting in general. I seem to have a very vague idea, but not good enough knowledge to understand some of it. Need to play more DotA just in general too just so I can understand certain map/item timings.
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
May 14 2014 01:28 GMT
#1112
Speaking of inconsistency, uG looks like they're about to beat Liquid, after beating NAR as well today, and yet they won't even make top4.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
May 14 2014 01:42 GMT
#1113
On May 14 2014 10:28 red_ wrote:
Speaking of inconsistency, uG looks like they're about to beat Liquid, after beating NAR as well today, and yet they won't even make top4.

That game was so embarrassing in so many ways. ;;
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-14 01:48:13
May 14 2014 01:43 GMT
#1114
Actually I think I saw standings before they were updated, uG is 6-4 with 2 other teams, so I think there will be tiebreakers?

Edit: Yes tiebreakers, starting in ~15 minutes.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
May 14 2014 01:48 GMT
#1115
On May 14 2014 10:43 red_ wrote:
Actually I think I saw standings before they were updated, uG is 6-4 with 2 other teams, so I think there will be tiebreakers?

3/4/5 are tied yeah. If there will be a tie after tiebreakers then... good ol' gametime will decide who moves on. =D
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-14 02:04:19
May 14 2014 01:54 GMT
#1116
On May 14 2014 10:48 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2014 10:43 red_ wrote:
Actually I think I saw standings before they were updated, uG is 6-4 with 2 other teams, so I think there will be tiebreakers?

3/4/5 are tied yeah. If there will be a tie after tiebreakers then... good ol' gametime will decide who moves on. =D


I mean, I kind of hate that, but at the same time these dudes have actually been playing games for like 9 hours straight with 15-20 minute breaks, I can understand both parties(tourney organizers + players) not wanting the specter of endless tiebreaker groups.

Edit: Since everyone else seems to be discussing this, who here thinks TL threw that on purpose to put SNA into tiebreakers?

I'm on the fence. I can see why people thought it was a throw, but it felt more to me like they just didn't care either way(their top2 was secure). I guess I just don't see them as nefarious enough(nor having a shitty relationship with Fluff/Mike) to lose on purpose, and it's more likely that they were capping their qualifier stage with a 'Clowney Ass Game' -Draskyl, every 5 minutes.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
ketchup
Profile Joined August 2010
14521 Posts
May 14 2014 03:55 GMT
#1117
On May 14 2014 10:54 red_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2014 10:48 r.Evo wrote:
On May 14 2014 10:43 red_ wrote:
Actually I think I saw standings before they were updated, uG is 6-4 with 2 other teams, so I think there will be tiebreakers?

3/4/5 are tied yeah. If there will be a tie after tiebreakers then... good ol' gametime will decide who moves on. =D


I mean, I kind of hate that, but at the same time these dudes have actually been playing games for like 9 hours straight with 15-20 minute breaks, I can understand both parties(tourney organizers + players) not wanting the specter of endless tiebreaker groups.

Edit: Since everyone else seems to be discussing this, who here thinks TL threw that on purpose to put SNA into tiebreakers?

I'm on the fence. I can see why people thought it was a throw, but it felt more to me like they just didn't care either way(their top2 was secure). I guess I just don't see them as nefarious enough(nor having a shitty relationship with Fluff/Mike) to lose on purpose, and it's more likely that they were capping their qualifier stage with a 'Clowney Ass Game' -Draskyl, every 5 minutes.


I don't think it was on purpose. We saw similar play yesterday with NAR. They get over confident, start doing stupid stuff, then before they realize it, they are losing because of the stupid shit they did. It's not really anything new with NA DotA teams I think. I also don't think they'd ruin whatever relationship they might have SNA by losing on purpose.
red_
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8474 Posts
May 14 2014 16:15 GMT
#1118
Bumpity for NA Qualifier bracket stage, on TS if anyone wants to join.
How did the experience of working at Mr Burns' Nuclear Plant influence Homer's composition of the Iliad and Odyssey?
ketchup
Profile Joined August 2010
14521 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-14 22:36:07
May 14 2014 22:35 GMT
#1119
NAR looked really really far above TL in the winner's bracket today. That first game was played especially well. uG aiming for the true underdog story line if they beat SNA too. I just don't think they could beat TL and NAR back to back tomorrow. They'll probably be on edge from the stress, and could easily fall apart/go on tilt due to it. Of course they could pull if off, but it will be so difficult for them.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
May 17 2014 04:21 GMT
#1120
SEADOTA. <3
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM764
TKL 244
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 764
ByuN 300
mouzHeroMarine 245
TKL 244
UpATreeSC 73
BRAT_OK 35
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19628
Calm 2997
Shuttle 1053
Horang2 443
Dewaltoss 126
Rush 105
Zeus 57
Free 42
sorry 32
Killer 25
[ Show more ]
Trap 24
ToSsGirL 19
scan(afreeca) 19
PianO 17
Bale 16
Aegong 15
Rock 13
Hm[arnc] 12
Sacsri 7
Noble 7
Dota 2
Dendi1401
League of Legends
KnowMe52
Counter-Strike
fl0m5042
pashabiceps749
Fnx 636
x6flipin274
edward17
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King57
Other Games
singsing2007
Grubby1505
Liquid`RaSZi1468
Beastyqt706
C9.Mang0279
crisheroes266
B2W.Neo216
420jenkins174
IndyStarCraft 166
dupreeh160
QueenE104
Trikslyr95
JuggernautJason11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH276
• EnkiAlexander 22
• Hinosc 12
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3352
• WagamamaTV498
League of Legends
• Nemesis3456
• TFBlade653
Other Games
• Shiphtur670
• imaqtpie514
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 17m
INu's Battles
17h 17m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 17m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.