• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:15
CEST 19:15
KST 02:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War245.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8517 users

[HotS] Interview with QuackNiix

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
2 CommentsPost a Reply

[HotS] Interview with QuackNiix

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
September 18th, 2018 19:02 GMT

Interview with

QuackNiix

by ethyr



Roll20 has been making waves in HGC EU recently. After a disappointing run in the first half of Phase 2, the newly sponsored Zealots have finally ended their losing streak and have their sights set on the Playoffs.

We recently spoke with their flex player, QuackNiix, to discuss the state of the team and what’s changed since picking up their first win of the season.




Who are you and what is your role in Roll20?

My name is Dob Engström aka QuackNiix and I play for Roll20 esports in the HGC. I don’t know if I would call myself the captain, but I’m the shot caller and drafter in this team as well as playing the flex role.

Congratulations on getting an org! What was the process like?

It was actually messy in my opinion because we weren’t talking with them for a very long time and they never got around to pulling the trigger. It took some time, but hey I’m not complaining! But they finally picked us so we’re just happy they want to be a part of us and our journey even though our results were not very convincing. We were in talks with them a lot and they kept assuring us that despite these results it wouldn’t change anything. They just needed to get things sorted out before they could give us the final contract. We’re just super happy that they stuck around and actually wanted to pick us up even though we were like 0-7.

Nolan brought up a quote from you the other week: “we’re not toxic players but maybe we should be more toxic.” Could you elaborate on that a bit more?

I’m not sure if it was me who said it but I can elaborate. I always have the approach of trying to not be toxic because I think the way you speak in general--especially when you give feedback--can have very different outcomes, or be received in very different ways depending on the person. Like, if you start harassing somebody they most likely won’t take the feedback very well, right? But if you say it in a really good way then obviously there’s a higher chance of them actually listening to what you have to say and therefore actually getting something out of that information.

But sometimes people need to get a boot, y’know? You can’t be nice all the time. I can’t be like “hey, I thought you should have done this here.” It can’t be like this every single time, like, I’m always gonna start like that, obviously, but one month in and he’s doing the same mistake for instance, I might change my approach and be like “hey, you really need to step this up, this is not working.” I’m not toxic but some people, if you’re just nice to them, sure they might acknowledge what you’re saying but they might still not change it, because they don’t care enough or it’s a bit underwhelming I guess. Some people just need to get the boot, y’know.




Do you think there’s been a shift in the team’s attitude?


Not recently, but I think the break did us very good individually. But for me I’ve been working since day one. I think people came back fresh and it was like a bit of a reset. Even though we were 0-7, it’s a new season with new opportunities, we’re playing everybody again, we have been improving over the past and then all of a sudden, even though we went 0-3 against both Liquid and Fnatic, we had been improving and playing quite good the first weeks of scrims, so it was a bit surprising and also a bit mentally crushing for me and also Rob. He talked about it, like all of a sudden we felt like we were starting to do actually good and then we still got crushed in the opening series.

Then we were up against Method and felt like “oh shit, this is going to be rough” but mid-series, as we win the first game, everybody gets so pumped and so hyped, like, everybody was just playing really well that series and hopefully we can just keep it up now, because we know that we can actually play good and we’re a contender in the league. It’s just that we’re a bit inconsistent and don’t really have a good standard I guess.


Was the win against Method surprising?


Yeah I must say it was a bit surprising. I always thought Method was a really hard team to play against just because, in general, they have so many things that you have to be scared of. But with this ban system it feels like we could punish them a bit with banning Abathur, and Medivh, and Tassadar’s not really meta. So it felt like already there we had a pretty good chance and, on top of that, it feels like they’re struggling. They have some internal problems, but that’s not for me to decide or spoil anything about.

I just felt like they were really not the same team as I expected, and obviously when we get that first win we get the momentum swing because we realised “hey, we can actually win this.” Obviously we’re always thinking that if the draft’s good and we play good, we can win but when you’re 0-9 you’re kinda doubting yourself every now and then. When we got the first win and good drafts, I felt really confident, and was so hyped trying to pump everyone up. People were getting really into it, calling a lot more than usual and really trying to be a big reason why we’re gonna win this series. I wanna give mad props to Rob and Shad for stepping up majorly, in my opinion.


What’s the team atmosphere been like since then?


I think everybody was a bit crushed, or mentally defeated, after going so poorly, but after we got this win I think everybody got a bit hyped and wanted to do more in scrims. They tried harder, not just auto-piloting which is really good, and exactly how they should be, because all of a sudden we actually have a chance to dodge crucible, so that’s what we’re fighting hard for right now. I am super try hard right now, *laughing* I mean, I don’t care if they don’t like it or not, I’m gonna tell them what they’re doing wrong when they’re doing something wrong. But yeah since we have a chance it feels like everybody’s try-harding a bit more now at least. I still think there’s too much auto-piloting in general, but it’s a common thing, not just this team only, it’s happened to every team I feel.




How do you de-stress when you get tilted? Do you have any strategies?


I guess I’m just really good at resetting. Not necessarily instantly, but if it’s a tournament, I would never tilt. If it happens that I tilt in scrims then I get a bit upset I guess, but the way I “de-tilt” is by actually talking. I might sound upset when I’m talking because I’m a bit tilted but I want to talk and just fix the active problems before we move on. So that’s something we’ve gotten really good at and value in our scrims right now whereas most teams try to push six games in a three hour scrim block. I value it so much higher to just do five and make sure after every game we talk about what went wrong, what should have been better, and also what we did good.


What advice would you give to any aspiring pro players?


I think the most important thing is to just work on self-improvement. I don’t know where those people are lacking but what I mean is, all the time people come into my Twitch chat and ask me “Hey Quack, how do I win Hero League? My team is always losing my games,” and that right there is already the wrong mindset because you’ll never be able to change all those players you play with every single day in Hero League, so what you should be focusing on is self-improvement.

Regardless of whether you’re losing the game or not, you can still practice your own Jaina combos or map awareness or positioning. No matter what, even if you’re down five levels, you can still think about how you can play this game better, and that’s the only thing you should do because when you improve as a player you’ll have an easier time climbing ladders and finding a team.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

I wanted to say thanks to Roll20 for picking us up and yeah, good luck to all the people trying to go pro. Don’t be toxic and just focus on your own gameplay, become a better player and you will climb and succeed. And, hi to all the fans!



You can follow QuackNiix on Twitter:

@QuackNiix

And Emily “Ethyr”:

@ethyrHotS


Check out our latest articles:


Japanese heroes join the Nexus
Roll20’s Journey back to HGC
Garden of Terror rework discussion




Interview: Ethyr
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Formatting: Phantom
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: Blizzard


Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Amarok
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia2003 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-19 01:51:34
September 19 2018 01:51 GMT
#2
Cool interview but the font colour on that background makes the text really difficult to read.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been fixed.
Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity
ariyanusman
Profile Joined September 2018
1 Post
September 22 2018 12:56 GMT
#3
Awesome... Love it
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 282
ProTech128
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26914
Calm 5544
Stork 275
Rush 178
Light 157
Barracks 132
Free 124
Zeus 92
910 92
Mind 87
[ Show more ]
Shinee 43
Trap 43
Hyun 38
Killer 33
Aegong 30
ToSsGirL 25
Rock 24
soO 21
Sexy 16
Sacsri 8
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9083
XaKoH 364
Counter-Strike
fl0m5274
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby359
Other Games
singsing2076
FrodaN781
B2W.Neo598
Beastyqt594
crisheroes306
mouzStarbuck299
Livibee177
Hui .162
C9.Mang0154
RotterdaM125
KnowMe98
Trikslyr79
QueenE65
BRAT_OK 24
edward19
MindelVK14
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Dystopia_ 24
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2535
Other Games
• Shiphtur835
• imaqtpie0
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 45m
Big Brain Bouts
16h 45m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
23h 45m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
Patches Events
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.