• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:31
CEST 11:31
KST 18:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8035 users

Work 55 hrs/wk for 52 wks. at McD's for $102k - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
{ToT}Strafe
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Thailand7026 Posts
January 23 2009 19:56 GMT
#121
and cartoonist having to hide because he drew a picture of mohammed lolz.
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
January 24 2009 06:06 GMT
#122
Haha I remember in my Chemistry we had to figure out how long you had to work at McDonalds to make a million dollars and it was something like 80 years
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
January 24 2009 08:10 GMT
#123

On January 23 2009 12:12 TanGeng wrote:
Wow, those wage rates in Scandinavia are ridiculous. Your unemployment must be ridiculous because such jobs should be rare.

That's the downside of minimum wages laws. It really really hurts the poor and relatively unproductive. $4/hr jobs don't change into $7.50/hr jobs because minimum wage laws are passed. Instead $4/hr job turns into no job. It gets eliminated and the employee gets fired.

I like how the classic conservative viewpoint on minimum wage got promptly raped by the actual unemployment numbers shown in this thread.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
bburn
Profile Joined September 2004
United States1039 Posts
January 27 2009 00:12 GMT
#124
Looks like this ended rather anticlimactically because it was basically not possible to get the required number of hours.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker-beats-brags-variance/boom-goes-dynamite-mcds-day-1-pics-393056/index42.html
banana[AfO]
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-27 00:22:27
January 27 2009 00:16 GMT
#125
On January 27 2009 09:12 bburn wrote:
Looks like this ended rather anticlimactically because it was basically not possible to get the required number of hours.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/54/poker-beats-brags-variance/boom-goes-dynamite-mcds-day-1-pics-393056/index42.html



seems the hours issue was the main cause for failure after all

Conclusion-

As much as I hate to do this, I think I am going to have to put a halt on this bet. This halt for the time is in hopes that some new terms canned be reached and I can give it another shot soon, but unfortunately some things have to change in order for me to be able to do this. The number 1 problem is hours, its just going to be impossible to get the hours I need under the current conditions. Thoughts of getting a second job were a possibility for a while, but it is against policy and ultimately I don't think there is any way around it.

I knew if I didn't think I could do it, I should quit in the first week. Working 7+ hours a day for a year is no cakewalk, I don't know how anyone could say it is. For the time commitment I am going to be giving I just don't know that this is my best investment. I am going to return to poker on a stake and see how the next month goes. I will be sure to keep bbv updated throughout the year on my journey. I hate to let so many people down, but ultimately I think that it is the best choice for me at the time.

Snake has been kind enough to only make me pay half of my original wager (600$) and will make sure to help me with hands. He has also agreed to let this bet be payed off at my leisure, with no due date until I get back on my feet. This has certainly been an emotional ride, but for the time being I feel as if this is the best choice. Thanks to everyone for their support.

The good news is that snake has also agreed to leave the prop bet proposition door open. If Idream up a crazy enough scheme, we can make it happen.

Thanks again to everyone, you haven't seen the last of me.

I worked for 5 days at mcdonalds 25 hours total, its been a wild ride.



But you have my word,

Al will return


LOL
ALReturnsLOL is offline Reply With


Apparently the guy got staked some cash and is back to grinding 50NL, he was originally broke that's where this whoe prop bet came from in the first place.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
29 fps
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States5725 Posts
January 27 2009 00:34 GMT
#126
fail. he couldnt get the hours or he couldnt put up with it?

he couldnt get the hours = beyond his control = not really his fault

he couldnt put up with it = he fails. why take such a bet? and if those other posts on that site were true (has a kid coming, has no money), he should have sucked it up if not for himself, for the kid. playing poker? he better be good cuz it seems he's starting with a small bankroll and might go broke again.
4v4 is a battle of who has the better computer.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
January 27 2009 01:04 GMT
#127
On January 27 2009 09:34 29 fps wrote:
fail. he couldnt get the hours or he couldnt put up with it?

he couldnt get the hours = beyond his control = not really his fault

he couldnt put up with it = he fails. why take such a bet? and if those other posts on that site were true (has a kid coming, has no money), he should have sucked it up if not for himself, for the kid. playing poker? he better be good cuz it seems he's starting with a small bankroll and might go broke again.

It was a combination of both actually, he said he never worked a low paying job like this for 40 hours a week before. Which was a lot tougher than he expected and probably couldn't hack it anyways. But the main concern was that they couldn't give him the 55 hours a week required, or allow him to work 2 McD's for 30 hours or whatever.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
January 27 2009 01:53 GMT
#128
On January 27 2009 10:04 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2009 09:34 29 fps wrote:
fail. he couldnt get the hours or he couldnt put up with it?

he couldnt get the hours = beyond his control = not really his fault

he couldnt put up with it = he fails. why take such a bet? and if those other posts on that site were true (has a kid coming, has no money), he should have sucked it up if not for himself, for the kid. playing poker? he better be good cuz it seems he's starting with a small bankroll and might go broke again.

It was a combination of both actually, he said he never worked a low paying job like this for 40 hours a week before. Which was a lot tougher than he expected and probably couldn't hack it anyways. But the main concern was that they couldn't give him the 55 hours a week required, or allow him to work 2 McD's for 30 hours or whatever.


No way, he was going to quit because it was too hard. The "can't get the hours" is a convenient excuse. If he wanted to get the hours he could have, I'm sure the guy offering the prop bet would have let him work the extra hours at a burger king or whatever in addition if he really went out and wanted it.

He had an earlier blog post a week ago or so saying that he was basically considering giving up because it was too hard, and wanted to go back to poker. If he wanted to get the hours from another place he could have.
stk01001
Profile Joined September 2007
United States786 Posts
January 27 2009 01:57 GMT
#129
good luck finding an hourly wage job that will pay you that much overtime... lol... guarantee it won't happen at McDonald's...
a.k.a reLapSe ---
Radivel-X17
Profile Joined January 2006
Canada144 Posts
January 27 2009 03:38 GMT
#130
Don't know if anyone posted it but damn if I wouldn't show up the first day, and say to the manager, "Ok, I've got this bet, if you can rig it in such a way so as to show I did this, I'll give you $25K at the end of the year under the table..."

Really poorly played by the test subject.
I used to run SC2GG, if you remember that. Come to NHFFA discord. It's where a bunch of old players who all suck at BW hang out, as well as people who like to play FFAs for some reason. https://discord.com/invite/kWNQvnd
29 fps
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States5725 Posts
January 27 2009 04:39 GMT
#131
On January 27 2009 12:38 Radivel-X17 wrote:
Don't know if anyone posted it but damn if I wouldn't show up the first day, and say to the manager, "Ok, I've got this bet, if you can rig it in such a way so as to show I did this, I'll give you $25K at the end of the year under the table..."

Really poorly played by the test subject.


that would be really good, but the manager might think he's bullshitting, unless theres some officially signed bet that guarantees the money. i wouldnt believe such a bet unless there was word from at least 5 people. something like a signed paper of some sort would be better proof that this bet is actually going on.
4v4 is a battle of who has the better computer.
Bub
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States3518 Posts
January 27 2009 10:14 GMT
#132
Don't think I could do something like this. I drink too much.
XK ßubonic
Matoo-
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Canada1397 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-27 11:00:34
January 27 2009 10:30 GMT
#133
On January 23 2009 05:50 Daigomi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2009 00:45 Night[Mare wrote:
On January 23 2009 00:37 Hans-Titan wrote:
Jesus christ, 7.50? Raise the minimum wage US of A. How the hell can people live of that?

On topic, no way in hell would I spend a year working at McD's. Gotta be the shittiest job imaginable.


minimum wage in mexico is $4.6 usd a DAY.

i think 70% of the people here in mexico doesnt even make 50K usd a year. Most likely everyone here would take that bet


Minimum wage in SA is $1.80

Show nested quote +
On January 23 2009 03:14 -orb- wrote:
On January 22 2009 22:56 Matoo- wrote:
No way I would ruin one entire year of my life for $100k.


Agreed.

What's the average life expectancy? 70? Assuming he's already in his 20s I wouldn't waste 1/50th of the rest of my life working that much for a year for 100k.


This is a silly argument. 99% of people will waste way more than 810 hours ([14 hours additional work per week * 50 weeks] + [55 hours a week * 2 weeks that you normally have leave] = 810) of their life paying off study debts/buying a place to live. I don't know how things are in the US, but my sister got a good job at a big SA engineering firm last year, and she will work for 8 years to pay off the car + apartment she bought. If she could do this for a year before moving out she would be able to buy both those things in cash, and then spend the next seven years of her life saving up a shitload of cash that she would have payed on the house. For those with study loans, this is probably even worse.

I would do this in the blink of an eye simply because working hard for one year will save me a lot of work and money in the long run. I am fairly sure that I will come close to dying of boredom during that year, but many people have much worse jobs and they survive, if I put my mind to it I'm sure I could survive. It's funny how we all seem to believe that we deserve jobs that will entertain us.

Honestly though, if you think about it, how many of you will have jobs where they can claim an $80,000 tax free profit at the end of the year. That is a larger profit than the average psychologist with a Ph.D makes per year in total(according to wikipedia), and yet some of you claim that you wouldn't work weekends for one year to make that. You must have the world's most comfortable jobs.

I don't think life quality can be measured as an average. Working like a madman for one year and then slacking off the next is far less enjoyable overall than working normally for two years for the same total revenue.

The next thing I disagree with is that you say people will waste more time earning the same amount of money with regular jobs. But all jobs do not waste your time the same way. The current job I do now is wasting my time only around 20%. Some braindead jobs I had before were sitting at about 60%. McDonalds would waste about 90% since I'd have to interact with people for trivial matters and would probably not be able to learn a foreign language through audio methods for example. This is obviously very personal. Some people won't care about learning a foreign language and will genuinely consider chatting with other McDonald's employees not a waste.

I'm not sure why you speak about deserving an interesting job. I don't think I deserve an interesting job, I merely know I can have one and of course it goes into the equation like the rest. If I was struggling to feed a family like the guy in the story it would weigh next to zero, but I'm lucky enough not to be in that situation so it's a pretty big factor.

But anyway it's very simple imo. You just have to ask yourself these questions:
- How much is earning $102k (compared to your current job income) going to increase your happiness now and in the future?
- How much is spending all your time doing hamburgers (compared to current schedule and activities) going to decrease your happiness now and in the future?

Of course, the answers to this depend completely on your actual salary, how much you enjoy your actual job, your family situation, the cost of life in the country you live in etc. That's why all the answers in this thread are different.

Personally, I'd not do it because the difference with my actual salary would not improve my future life enough compared to what I'd lose overall, both in terms of immediate loss (I don't like making hamburgers) and future loss (I won't sell much higher on the employment market after that, I won't have improved at my personal interests because I didn't have free time for them).
Kerensky
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
148 Posts
January 27 2009 11:02 GMT
#134
LOL he only needed to work 55 hrs/week? omg what a loser , he gets let off $600 aswell -.- getting paid $600 for being a loser :@
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 7988
Rain 3592
Leta 2445
Soulkey 404
Soma 335
BeSt 302
soO 259
Rush 231
firebathero 169
Barracks 154
[ Show more ]
Stork 130
Sexy 65
Killer 37
Shinee 34
Shine 27
Sacsri 18
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
Sharp 15
sorry 12
yabsab 11
Noble 7
zelot 6
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc4335
XcaliburYe171
League of Legends
JimRising 496
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King77
Other Games
gofns29741
WinterStarcraft671
singsing607
Pyrionflax187
Sick153
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 72
• Sammyuel 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2210
• WagamamaTV7
League of Legends
• Jankos2536
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
29m
Patches Events
5h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 29m
OSC
13h 29m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.