• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:58
CEST 10:58
KST 17:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6460 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 1672

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 5994 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 01:07:47
July 17 2019 01:07 GMT
#33421
--- Nuked ---
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 01:55:48
July 17 2019 01:53 GMT
#33422
On July 17 2019 09:58 Jockmcplop wrote:
There's a difference between supporting racist policy for non racist reasons and literally telling Americans with different racial backgrounds to go back to their countries.

Do you really think Trump's tweets need artificially forcing into the prism of identity politics?


But you see, when Trump is telling these women to go back to their own countries he’s not being “racist”. He’s only defending the jewel of Western Civilisation from turning into a shithole like the rest of the world, which these women are trying to do with their identity politics and European economic ideas.

The United States has no place for foreign ideas because if foreign ideas were any good, they’d match the United States in economic and cultural power. But instead they’re all shitholes many times weaker than the United States.

Sorry you liberals can’t see what Trump is actually saying in his tweets and only see racism. Do I need to remind you that all of these women are horribly racist towards Jews? How come you guys don’t call out those women for those comments hmmmmm?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
July 17 2019 01:59 GMT
#33423
This used to be really simple. If they’re born here but you tell them to go back to their country because they’re brown then you’re saying that they’re excluded from the US because they’re brown. That’s as textbook racist as it gets. It still is that simple, but it used to be simple too.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 02:10:07
July 17 2019 02:02 GMT
#33424
On July 17 2019 10:59 KwarK wrote:
This used to be really simple. If they’re born here but you tell them to go back to their country because they’re brown then you’re saying that they’re excluded from the US because they’re brown. That’s as textbook racist as it gets. It still is that simple, but it used to be simple too.


Well, it’s not so simple anymore because apparently everything Trump does has 20 layers of strategy and liberals are always getting caught in his masterful traps and everything he says doesn’t actually mean what he says so it doesn’t count and
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4456 Posts
July 17 2019 02:02 GMT
#33425
Having a strong border and saying people should go home if they don’t love the country are pretty moderate i’d Say.

Warren calling for slavery reparations and Biden claiming he’d cure cancer if he was elected, I’d say not so moderate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
July 17 2019 02:03 GMT
#33426
America is their home, which is why it’s blatant racism. Nice try though.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 02:08:39
July 17 2019 02:06 GMT
#33427
On July 17 2019 11:02 iPlaY.NettleS wrote:
Having a strong border and saying people should go home if they don’t love the country are pretty moderate i’d Say.

Warren calling for slavery reparations and Biden claiming he’d cure cancer if he was elected, I’d say not so moderate.


So you have to love everything about your country to stay in the country? Maybe you should get out of Australia considering how much you’ve moaned about it in the past. If you were born in Australia, I dunno go buy a kit from Ancestry and see where your ancestors came from and move there.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
July 17 2019 02:08 GMT
#33428
On July 17 2019 11:03 farvacola wrote:
America is their home, which is why it’s blatant racism. Nice try though.

As everyone except Nettles understands. The only thing foreign about AOC is her skin and her name, and that’s only if you believe that the US should be solely populated by Northern Europeans.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 02:10:13
July 17 2019 02:08 GMT
#33429
Obviously there's no point in talking to xDaunt about this, so I'll talk about another thought I've had recently. I think the way reactionaries behave when it comes to racism and other targeting of minorities is a consequence of the decision of attacking those views primarily from a moral angle.

In my view racism is morally wrong. But if I was a racist, I obviously would disagree that being racist is morally wrong. And then I wouldn't be able to say it because of political correctness, so my goal as a racist would be to make sure I am never called a racist (because that's perceived as morally wrong) while maintaining my views (because I disagree). I had this exchange with Danglars a while ago where I asked him what he didn't like about transphobia, and he kept talking to me about what he didn't like about being called a transphobe, over at least 10 posts and over my objections. I couldn't get him to admit to a difference between those two.

Racism and those other views also don't make sense rationally though. I wonder if we would have gotten better results if, instead of talking about tolerance and morality, we talked about the stupidity of it all. Not saying we never do but, just, more often.
No will to live, no wish to die
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 02:47:12
July 17 2019 02:33 GMT
#33430
It's strange that people can claim Trump didn't mean they weren't from the United States when the tweets are pretty explicit about they "came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe". Trump didn't say places, home or whatever else you can misremember. Trump says counties, which clearly means Trump doesn't think they belong in the United States of America.

Which is "go back to africa" and the many variations though american racist history.
+ Show Spoiler [the tweet people seem to forget] +

Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 02:37:44
July 17 2019 02:35 GMT
#33431
On July 17 2019 11:08 Nebuchad wrote:
I had this exchange with Danglars a while ago where I asked him what he didn't like about transphobia, and he kept talking to me about what he didn't like about being called a transphobe, over at least 10 posts and over my objections. I couldn't get him to admit to a difference between those two.

I assume you're referring to this, a discussion from an article whose quoted section was
And so it is not transphobic for a gay man not to be attracted to a trans man.


I spent quite a while puzzling over the apparently asinine conversation. Why would someone need a separate discussion on transphobia, as a thing unto itself, when it's obviously a pejorative term (or badly connoted term) applied towards people's attitudes? Why, in an article that talks about the harm in the overlabeling of transphobia and transphobes, is he hung up on transphobia vs transphobes? Some attitude or position is called transphobia/transphobic, and they are expounded on by humans, maybe called transphobes for their committment to such attitudes.

But, to be more than usually generous, I'll link what should've resolved your difficulties. I have a problem with transphobia so far as it means ... and (IgnE beat me to it, and I explicitly credited him) is there a duty to be attracted to everyone?. Literally asked and answered, but that would apparently be too easy.

Now, you went on to explicitly connect what I just described as elements deemed transphobia that I didn't like to trans activism. Obviously, it's your right to think my qualms about transphobia and how it's used is actually just some activists. Just don't act like a child afterwards and pretend your disagreements on what fairly fits under the banner represents a refusal to answer you plainly. I have started to step up my requirements on engaging with the article and the primary topic before launching into tangents, because of people like you playing games with "that wasn't real transphobia." I say this even if such games are evidently very amusing to those practicing them, and somewhat popular among denizens here.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 17 2019 02:36 GMT
#33432
--- Nuked ---
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
July 17 2019 02:54 GMT
#33433
On July 17 2019 11:35 Danglars wrote:
I spent quite a while puzzling over the apparently asinine conversation. Why would someone need a separate discussion on transphobia, as a thing unto itself, when it's obviously a pejorative term (or badly connoted term) applied towards people's attitudes?


You need a separate discussion because a transphobe also would perceive transphobia to be a pejorative term, but they wouldn't perceive that it's a pejorative attitude. So there's a difference between having a problem with the attitude and having a problem with the word. It's not that subtle.
No will to live, no wish to die
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-17 03:31:56
July 17 2019 03:24 GMT
#33434
On July 17 2019 10:53 Womwomwom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 09:58 Jockmcplop wrote:
There's a difference between supporting racist policy for non racist reasons and literally telling Americans with different racial backgrounds to go back to their countries.

Do you really think Trump's tweets need artificially forcing into the prism of identity politics?


But you see, when Trump is telling these women to go back to their own countries he’s not being “racist”. He’s only defending the jewel of Western Civilisation from turning into a shithole like the rest of the world, which these women are trying to do with their identity politics and European economic ideas.

The United States has no place for foreign ideas because if foreign ideas were any good, they’d match the United States in economic and cultural power. But instead they’re all shitholes many times weaker than the United States.

Sorry you liberals can’t see what Trump is actually saying in his tweets and only see racism. Do I need to remind you that all of these women are horribly racist towards Jews? How come you guys don’t call out those women for those comments hmmmmm?

I'm gonna need a Poe's Law check on this.

On July 17 2019 11:08 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 11:03 farvacola wrote:
America is their home, which is why it’s blatant racism. Nice try though.

As everyone except Nettles understands. The only thing foreign about AOC is her skin and her name, and that’s only if you believe that the US should be solely populated by Northern Europeans.

Even then she's ethnically Puerto Rican(therefore, American) and Cortez is a Spanish name, therefore European.

From there we have to go down unraveling the onion of "white"ness to see what level of purity is required which, as you said, limits to Northern Europeans.
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 17 2019 04:20 GMT
#33435
On July 17 2019 11:54 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 11:35 Danglars wrote:
I spent quite a while puzzling over the apparently asinine conversation. Why would someone need a separate discussion on transphobia, as a thing unto itself, when it's obviously a pejorative term (or badly connoted term) applied towards people's attitudes?


You need a separate discussion because a transphobe also would perceive transphobia to be a pejorative term, but they wouldn't perceive that it's a pejorative attitude. So there's a difference between having a problem with the attitude and having a problem with the word. It's not that subtle.

I really must ask that you offer a substantive disagreement with what I argued in this post, referring back to what you brought up from a post some months ago. You may also confirm that I answered your question, and you didn't like my answer, and previously confused that with not answering you. I said already I was done with "no true transphobia" games, and these tend to shit up the thread in general. The article is linked in my prior post, and I beg you to read and engage with it instead of silly semantical games.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
July 17 2019 04:31 GMT
#33436
On July 17 2019 13:20 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 11:54 Nebuchad wrote:
On July 17 2019 11:35 Danglars wrote:
I spent quite a while puzzling over the apparently asinine conversation. Why would someone need a separate discussion on transphobia, as a thing unto itself, when it's obviously a pejorative term (or badly connoted term) applied towards people's attitudes?


You need a separate discussion because a transphobe also would perceive transphobia to be a pejorative term, but they wouldn't perceive that it's a pejorative attitude. So there's a difference between having a problem with the attitude and having a problem with the word. It's not that subtle.

I really must ask that you offer a substantive disagreement with what I argued in this post, referring back to what you brought up from a post some months ago. You may also confirm that I answered your question, and you didn't like my answer, and previously confused that with not answering you. I said already I was done with "no true transphobia" games, and these tend to shit up the thread in general. The article is linked in my prior post, and I beg you to read and engage with it instead of silly semantical games.


I understand your point but I'm confused as to whether you think transphobia (however you're comfortable defining it) is acceptable?

Or if you agree transphobia is bad but think people go to far in lumping things into transphobia?

I think it's the latter but I don't think I saw you say it specifically.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
July 17 2019 04:32 GMT
#33437
On July 17 2019 11:08 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 11:03 farvacola wrote:
America is their home, which is why it’s blatant racism. Nice try though.

As everyone except Nettles understands. The only thing foreign about AOC is her skin and her name, and that’s only if you believe that the US should be solely populated by Northern Europeans.


Dude, AOC is white AF. This idea that descendants of Spanish folks are non-white is hilarious (which is why white people yelling at other white people because they're Mexican is pretty comical).
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
July 17 2019 04:36 GMT
#33438
On July 17 2019 13:20 Danglars wrote:
You may also confirm that I answered your question, and you didn't like my answer, and previously confused that with not answering you.


This did not happen btw
No will to live, no wish to die
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
July 17 2019 04:50 GMT
#33439
On July 17 2019 13:32 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 11:08 KwarK wrote:
On July 17 2019 11:03 farvacola wrote:
America is their home, which is why it’s blatant racism. Nice try though.

As everyone except Nettles understands. The only thing foreign about AOC is her skin and her name, and that’s only if you believe that the US should be solely populated by Northern Europeans.


Dude, AOC is white AF. This idea that descendants of Spanish folks are non-white is hilarious (which is why white people yelling at other white people because they're Mexican is pretty comical).

descendants of spanish folks encounter racism based on the fact that they are descendants of spanish folks
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
July 17 2019 04:51 GMT
#33440
On July 17 2019 13:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2019 13:20 Danglars wrote:
On July 17 2019 11:54 Nebuchad wrote:
On July 17 2019 11:35 Danglars wrote:
I spent quite a while puzzling over the apparently asinine conversation. Why would someone need a separate discussion on transphobia, as a thing unto itself, when it's obviously a pejorative term (or badly connoted term) applied towards people's attitudes?


You need a separate discussion because a transphobe also would perceive transphobia to be a pejorative term, but they wouldn't perceive that it's a pejorative attitude. So there's a difference between having a problem with the attitude and having a problem with the word. It's not that subtle.

I really must ask that you offer a substantive disagreement with what I argued in this post, referring back to what you brought up from a post some months ago. You may also confirm that I answered your question, and you didn't like my answer, and previously confused that with not answering you. I said already I was done with "no true transphobia" games, and these tend to shit up the thread in general. The article is linked in my prior post, and I beg you to read and engage with it instead of silly semantical games.


I understand your point but I'm confused as to whether you think transphobia (however you're comfortable defining it) is acceptable?

Or if you agree transphobia is bad but think people go to far in lumping things into transphobia?

I think it's the latter but I don't think I saw you say it specifically.

The definition is the problem, and I think the usage such as from the linked article delves into why. If I consider the main things from last discussion, which Nebuchad strangely thinks isn't a criticism of transphobia, as one big limit, the other would be lack of individual decency and equal legal protections (like lobbying the government for change, free speech, federally recognized unions). I don't know if I'll ever know why Nebuchad omits the inconvenient answers, still professing to desire answers. I'll review the reasoning he gave to for condoning punching nazis while admitting he couldn't be so sure, because that was also ideology and reaction.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Prev 1 1670 1671 1672 1673 1674 5994 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 108
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli673
Other Games
summit1g9641
olofmeister1021
Happy339
Sick199
crisheroes180
KnowMe106
Pyrionflax96
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick740
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos900
• Stunt438
Other Games
• WagamamaTV111
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 2m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 2m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 2m
Replay Cast
14h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.