• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:15
CEST 09:15
KST 16:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
https://www.facebook.com/QinuxFisioFeetUSA/ Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10792 users

Liquid in Future Tense: A Call for Participants

Forum Index > General Forum
63 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Deleted User 135096
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3624 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-26 14:17:04
June 26 2015 13:36 GMT
#1
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/wo1fwood/TLStrategy/layout2.css"><link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Source+Sans+Pro:400,300,300italic,400italic' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'><style type="text/css">.fp1 .forumPost{background:url('http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/shiroiusagi/misc/callforpartici_tl.jpg')no-repeat;background-size:100%;}#tlshead{padding-bottom:40.25%}</style><!--
TLS HEAD--><div id="tls"><!--
--><div id="tlshead">[image loading]</div><!--
--><div id="tlsbody" style="background-color:#F0F1F3">
<div class="section"><h2 id="1-0">Liquid in Future Tense: A Call for Participation</h2><div class="author">by wo1fwood (gfx by shiro)</div>
Today I'd like to briefly talk about a project that has far reaching implications for tl.net and its users. For some time I have been working on - or considering the question of - what tl.net is, what it does, and how it could grow to reach its fullest potential as a site and community that over the last number of years has bloomed with not just content about all things StarCraft, but for Hearthstone, Dota, League, Smash, Heroes, and now Counter-Strike.

I've opened this topic because I'm looking to get ideally about 100 users or more (from tl.net, liquiddota, liquidhearth, liquidlegends, yes even you causal reddit viewers) to take part in a survey/questionnaire that will show us a clearer idea of what everyone is doing on TL and how, and why. Additionally, I'll want to ask further questions/tasks for a smaller group of people as needed.

The obvious question you may be asking is why are you looking for user input like this? Just curious? Well yes I am, but that's not really answering why. Recently there's been quite a bit of discussion regarding user interface design on TL with the Announcement by Valve on the new Dota 2 UI, and this TL Redesign Thread about one persons' design exercise. While the latter was an unofficial creation, what I'm excited to say is that we've been discussing this idea of a redesign internally for some time already and wanted to let everyone know that we decided to rebuild and streamline the TL experience the best we can. In order to get it right however, we need as much data about how, what, and why you are interacting with the content and platform that is teamliquid.net (and perhaps even esports as a whole) before we make any moves in that direction.

So... interested in helping us out? If so simply <a href="http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/index.php?view=new&to=wo1fwood" target="_blank">shoot me a PM</a>. Please include what site you are from, how often you visit TL as a start, and whether you'd be willing to be available for more questions as we need them. Overall I'd like to get a relatively even sample size from all walks of people who visit here, so even if you casually visit TL your experiences could be very helpful in figuring out what we need to do, or be mindful of throughout this process.

The last thing I should probably mention is that we don't really have a time frame for when this project will be complete right now. Rebuilding TL is a complicated process as the content that we have to offer is very diverse, and the time we have to work on it can and will be a bit sporadic. We'll be updating you as things develop so you have an idea of what we're thinking about and how we're progressing, so stay tuned. :D
</div>
</div><!--EndBody
--></div>
Facebook Twitter Reddit
Administrator
KadaverBB
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany25658 Posts
June 26 2015 13:47 GMT
#2
Do I still "need" to PM you eventhough we already talked about it in the staff thread?
AdministratorLaws change depending on who's making them, but justice is justice
Deleted User 135096
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3624 Posts
June 26 2015 13:49 GMT
#3
nope, staff need not worry as you're covered already.
Administrator
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
June 26 2015 13:50 GMT
#4
Interesting, I sent my PM
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Rassy
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2308 Posts
June 26 2015 13:51 GMT
#5
Am interested in helping out and offering some ideas.

Have been a member for around 4-5 years I think,came to the site when I started playing starcraft and was looking for community sites. Was active in the beginning but activity did drop over the years till virtually zero. It feels as if the whole site gets less visitors these days then a few years ago though I do not have any data for that. If its the case I think the reason is the decline of starcraft 2, the release of lotv should give the site and its activity a boost again.
Maybe tl could start focus more on other games and become a gaming forum in general. It is however not easy to penetrate other games where other sides have a dominant position already.

Come to the site mostly when I like to post something on a general forum,and sometimes for specific new games I started playing,like agario recently and hearthstone a year ago. When I look at agario or even hearthstone then the lack of activity more or less made me stop posting as well. lot more people post on reddit for example. And people usually do flock to the place that has the most users. It might sound blasphemy but maybe tl should lower its standards.
The gaming forums have a sort of elite feel to it and the attitude of many posters is somewhat elite, one looks down on the official gaming forums from blizzard where "only noobs post" so to say. With gaming becoming more casual maybe users are looking for a more casual site with more casual users. Not sure if this is an issue at all but its just a thought that came to my mind.

Am open to intervieuw but I am not the most active user so I think other people will be more suited.
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4388 Posts
June 26 2015 14:10 GMT
#6
Well I'm registered since 2010, been visiting the site since 2006 or 2007 and I log in everyday, multiple times per day.

I appreciate this initiative. When I get home from work I'll probably PM you to help out with the survey. I'm a fairly busy person due to work (T_T) but I'll gladly help in what I can
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
Yhamm
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
France7248 Posts
June 26 2015 14:12 GMT
#7
"I've opened this topic is because I'm looking to get ideally about 100 users"
either you are missing "why" or "is" is too much
LiquipediaWe will have only each other at the last
Dagobert
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Netherlands1858 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-26 14:26:52
June 26 2015 14:20 GMT
#8
You do know that you won't even get close to a "relatively even sample size from all walks of people who visit here", right?
Also, the expression is "people from all walks of life". If you're looking for walks of people, this documentary is probably better suited.

Since you're opt-in, you're effectively advertising the survey, which is going to give you very skewed data. You do not have a random sample, so you cannot extrapolate to the TL user group as a whole. Here's what you should do if you want (at least) halfway representative results: Send an authoritative PM to a random subset of all registered users, with a nice text and link to the survey.

Expect <1/3 to respond, expect ~20% of the responses to be incomplete; you'll end up with roughly 25% useful responses, so I'd say about 400+ invitations should do the job.
Hatchet_man
Profile Joined December 2013
Russian Federation249 Posts
June 26 2015 14:27 GMT
#9
I like Dagobert's approach. But sent a pm anyway
Tngabor
Profile Joined December 2013
Serbia60 Posts
June 26 2015 14:29 GMT
#10
I'm a UX/UI/Interaction designer.
wo1fwood, do you need help from a design aspect?

Also, the redesign of the website would be most welcome
from most users in my opinion, for example one problem with
it is that it's too small. For this reason i've been looking
at it on 150% zoom for years now
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
June 26 2015 14:39 GMT
#11
PM'd you. Great idea!
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
Eyx
Profile Joined December 2010
England165 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-26 14:40:17
June 26 2015 14:39 GMT
#12
On June 26 2015 23:20 Dagobert wrote:
You do know that you won't even get close to a "relatively even sample size from all walks of people who visit here", right?
Also, the expression is "people from all walks of life". If you're looking for walks of people, this documentary is probably better suited.

Since you're opt-in, you're effectively advertising the survey, which is going to give you very skewed data. You do not have a random sample, so you cannot extrapolate to the TL user group as a whole. Here's what you should do if you want (at least) halfway representative results: Send an authoritative PM to a random subset of all registered users, with a nice text and link to the survey.

Expect <1/3 to respond, expect ~20% of the responses to be incomplete; you'll end up with roughly 25% useful responses, so I'd say about 400+ invitations should do the job.


The way you suggest will hardly prove much better as the randomness is lost by the fact you use the 25% or less useful responses. The same people who fill in a useful response would respond to this opt in and so your data will be skewed in the same way. There is a reason it's the law to respond to government surveys, any opt in system will produce skewed data.
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
June 26 2015 14:41 GMT
#13
PM sent
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
June 26 2015 14:44 GMT
#14
PM sent, glad to help out.
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
Tufas
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Austria2259 Posts
June 26 2015 15:38 GMT
#15
On June 26 2015 23:10 KobraKay wrote:
Well I'm registered since 2010, been visiting the site since 2006 or 2007 and I log in everyday, multiple times per day.

I appreciate this initiative. When I get home from work I'll probably PM you to help out with the survey. I'm a fairly busy person due to work (T_T) but I'll gladly help in what I can



.... I am you
Where is my ACE flair
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-27 07:48:04
June 26 2015 15:58 GMT
#16
On June 26 2015 23:29 Tngabor wrote:
I'm a UX/UI/Interaction designer.
wo1fwood, do you need help from a design aspect?

Also, the redesign of the website would be most welcome
from most users in my opinion, for example one problem with
it is that it's too small. For this reason i've been looking
at it on 150% zoom for years now

I don't know where you get your data from, that you can say that most users think it's too small or some such?
I never have problems reading things (except occasionally on mobile, not preferred).

I like the concept of the data shown. All forum activity on the left, pro dota on the right, content in the middle.

+ Show Spoiler [whoops this became a long rant] +

My main concern is with possible improvement with discussion structure. Dota's complexity makes discussion difficult. Difficult to follow and to engage in. (All just my opinion and to some extent theorizing.) One example is the hero strategy discussion. There's so many heroes with each their own thread, but hero interaction is also very relevant as well as all the items, which could also have their own discussion. General strategy is difficult to discuss with many factors, starting with hero picks. I don't have an answer how to provide better grip for enjoyable discourse. But this would mean less graphical design, more technical design and perhaps conceptual innovation in how to structure a forum.

Compare this to starcraft, I would say that it's rather simple to discuss strategy. And this is not saying that starcraft is less of a game in terms of strategy, but as a game it builds up context over game-time in a steady fashion, where you can anchor a discussion comparatively easy to a certain time and space in a game. The most difficult part of the discussion is not being smart enough to see the better choices and understanding the ramifications in a given situation.

The last point there, the difficult part for starcraft, also holds for Dota and basically any game (right?) but dota builds up context in game-time at a stupendous rate. How are you gonna convey those things in a discussion when talking scenario's, and alternative choices with some branching. This is also why I liked the setup of this and this discussion because it had limited context and can provide for entertaining thoughts.

How this can relate to a LiquidDota redesign... that's up to TL in the first place


Edit: I've taken another look at the redesign and I see a good point with dropping the right bar at various places. Easy access to the pro happenings is major, but when people start browsing site and community content they already choose to explicitly ignore that info. Easy pull up of the bar might be important, or perhaps the ability to mark a calendar entry to make sure it's in a visible spot with a timer, at all times.
And conversely it might make sense, when showing a stream or calendar info, that the community bar drops away from view. It would be very orthogonal in experience.
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
boxerfred
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Germany8360 Posts
June 26 2015 16:03 GMT
#17
Of course I'm helping out!
joshie0808
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada1024 Posts
June 26 2015 16:22 GMT
#18
Would love to help! Sent PM.
Adept
Profile Joined December 2009
United States472 Posts
June 26 2015 16:24 GMT
#19
Wouldn't mind helping out, sent in a PM!
"HSC casting is essentially an LR thread read aloud." -ThomasjServo
Haighstrom
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom216 Posts
June 26 2015 16:38 GMT
#20
So... interested in helping us out? If so simply shoot me a PM. Please include what site you are from


I don't get it... I'm not from... a site? Are you looking for people with website-building experience to apply to support a redesign project, or for users of this site to offer to help complete a questionnaire about how we use it?

I would be happy to fill out the questionnaire - do you want a PM?
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 882
ggaemo 427
Stork 319
Leta 206
PianO 103
Larva 52
Hyuk 32
ZergMaN 29
yabsab 23
Bale 22
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm170
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Reynor88
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King171
Westballz33
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor780
Other Games
summit1g10149
C9.Mang0256
Sick171
PiGStarcraft132
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2288
League of Legends
• Lourlo1221
• Stunt525
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
2h 45m
Online Event
3h 45m
FEL
8h 45m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 45m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.