• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:39
CEST 01:39
KST 08:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8491 users

World Chess Championship 2013 - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 98 Next
Chess discussion continues here
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 08 2013 17:18 GMT
#221
On November 09 2013 01:33 -Kaiser- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2013 17:46 Aerisky wrote:
On November 08 2013 16:24 urboss wrote:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101174841

Anand has the bigger serve, and Carlsen is more of the baseline, persistent player. Carlsen in particular just has an indomitable will to win. He aims for quiet positions where nothing seems to be going on and says, 'Well, nothing's going on, but you're going to lose.

I follow tennis (but not chess that closely), but that caricature of both players seems very suspect lol. Wasn't that the quote from some financier who dabbled in chess? The quotation itself seems overtly flashy and rather contrived imo, again I don't follow chess that much and don't have too much knowledge, but it seems sort of off.


I think it's a good analogy for non-chess players.

Anand is a preparation monster, and most people are expecting him to reach midgames in good or at least equal positions to Carlsen, who is regarded as pretty lazy with his openings. Carlsen has a reputation for grinding out games into wins that other grandmasters would agree to a draw in.

I don't think that's quite a fair characterisation - just that it's not his main strength.

Carlsen joked in New in Chess recently that he was happy just to reach an equal position as White when he played against Kramnik :>
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
November 08 2013 18:08 GMT
#222
On November 09 2013 01:33 -Kaiser- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2013 17:46 Aerisky wrote:
On November 08 2013 16:24 urboss wrote:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101174841

Anand has the bigger serve, and Carlsen is more of the baseline, persistent player. Carlsen in particular just has an indomitable will to win. He aims for quiet positions where nothing seems to be going on and says, 'Well, nothing's going on, but you're going to lose.

I follow tennis (but not chess that closely), but that caricature of both players seems very suspect lol. Wasn't that the quote from some financier who dabbled in chess? The quotation itself seems overtly flashy and rather contrived imo, again I don't follow chess that much and don't have too much knowledge, but it seems sort of off.


I think it's a good analogy for non-chess players.

Anand is a preparation monster, and most people are expecting him to reach midgames in good or at least equal positions to Carlsen, who is regarded as pretty lazy with his openings. Carlsen has a reputation for grinding out games into wins that other grandmasters would agree to a draw in.

I suppose so, but as it fits into tennis, the serve is a weapon, not an indication of how well you prepared for the match. But I guess he means that in the sense of "anand opens very well"--->has a good serve. It's just...he's taking preparation in chess, and comparing it to specific strokes in tennis, I dunno. Tennis obviously takes its preparation against the strategy of the opponent too, it's just an imperfect analogy (like almost all analogies) in the first place I suppose. I mean, I guess it makes sense and I get what you mean, but I think it's a rather superficial connection.
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
November 08 2013 18:21 GMT
#223
On November 09 2013 03:08 Aerisky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 01:33 -Kaiser- wrote:
On November 08 2013 17:46 Aerisky wrote:
On November 08 2013 16:24 urboss wrote:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101174841

Anand has the bigger serve, and Carlsen is more of the baseline, persistent player. Carlsen in particular just has an indomitable will to win. He aims for quiet positions where nothing seems to be going on and says, 'Well, nothing's going on, but you're going to lose.

I follow tennis (but not chess that closely), but that caricature of both players seems very suspect lol. Wasn't that the quote from some financier who dabbled in chess? The quotation itself seems overtly flashy and rather contrived imo, again I don't follow chess that much and don't have too much knowledge, but it seems sort of off.


I think it's a good analogy for non-chess players.

Anand is a preparation monster, and most people are expecting him to reach midgames in good or at least equal positions to Carlsen, who is regarded as pretty lazy with his openings. Carlsen has a reputation for grinding out games into wins that other grandmasters would agree to a draw in.

I suppose so, but as it fits into tennis, the serve is a weapon, not an indication of how well you prepared for the match. But I guess he means that in the sense of "anand opens very well"--->has a good serve. It's just...he's taking preparation in chess, and comparing it to specific strokes in tennis, I dunno. Tennis obviously takes its preparation against the strategy of the opponent too, it's just an imperfect analogy (like almost all analogies) in the first place I suppose. I mean, I guess it makes sense and I get what you mean, but I think it's a rather superficial connection.

You are just taking a simple analogy way too far. No analogy is perfect, you are talking about diferent things after all, there are bound to be diferences, you may as well disregard any of them. It's just a quick way for someone to grasp the concept that a player will get an advantage from the opening.
Mathematics
Profile Joined June 2011
Belgium35 Posts
November 08 2013 18:59 GMT
#224
Looking forward to this!
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 08 2013 19:14 GMT
#225
Get to know your world champion:



Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
November 08 2013 20:15 GMT
#226
On November 09 2013 03:21 SKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 03:08 Aerisky wrote:
On November 09 2013 01:33 -Kaiser- wrote:
On November 08 2013 17:46 Aerisky wrote:
On November 08 2013 16:24 urboss wrote:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101174841

Anand has the bigger serve, and Carlsen is more of the baseline, persistent player. Carlsen in particular just has an indomitable will to win. He aims for quiet positions where nothing seems to be going on and says, 'Well, nothing's going on, but you're going to lose.

I follow tennis (but not chess that closely), but that caricature of both players seems very suspect lol. Wasn't that the quote from some financier who dabbled in chess? The quotation itself seems overtly flashy and rather contrived imo, again I don't follow chess that much and don't have too much knowledge, but it seems sort of off.


I think it's a good analogy for non-chess players.

Anand is a preparation monster, and most people are expecting him to reach midgames in good or at least equal positions to Carlsen, who is regarded as pretty lazy with his openings. Carlsen has a reputation for grinding out games into wins that other grandmasters would agree to a draw in.

I suppose so, but as it fits into tennis, the serve is a weapon, not an indication of how well you prepared for the match. But I guess he means that in the sense of "anand opens very well"--->has a good serve. It's just...he's taking preparation in chess, and comparing it to specific strokes in tennis, I dunno. Tennis obviously takes its preparation against the strategy of the opponent too, it's just an imperfect analogy (like almost all analogies) in the first place I suppose. I mean, I guess it makes sense and I get what you mean, but I think it's a rather superficial connection.

You are just taking a simple analogy way too far. No analogy is perfect, you are talking about diferent things after all, there are bound to be diferences, you may as well disregard any of them. It's just a quick way for someone to grasp the concept that a player will get an advantage from the opening.

No that's exactly what I'm saying. I still don't like it though w/e lol
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
xM(Z
Profile Joined November 2006
Romania5299 Posts
November 09 2013 02:32 GMT
#227
what a downer, nothing happens.
only the clock is moving
And my fury stands ready. I bring all your plans to nought. My bleak heart beats steady. 'Tis you whom I have sought.
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 09 2013 07:25 GMT
#228
Carlsen thinking about 1. a4...
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 09 2013 08:21 GMT
#229
On November 09 2013 16:25 urboss wrote:
Carlsen thinking about 1. a4...

Doesn't the game start at 10:30 CET? (in 1h&10m)
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 09 2013 08:36 GMT
#230
On November 09 2013 17:21 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 16:25 urboss wrote:
Carlsen thinking about 1. a4...

Doesn't the game start at 10:30 CET? (in 1h&10m)

yes it does, they are just showing an empty board right now in the streams
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
November 09 2013 08:39 GMT
#231
LOL I so forgot about time difference. At least for today, this makes it even better to watch for me.
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 09 2013 09:11 GMT
#232
The official stream is starting 10 minutes before for introductions.
9 more minutes...
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
November 09 2013 09:28 GMT
#233
So, which stream is best to follow?
Arevall
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1133 Posts
November 09 2013 09:28 GMT
#234
I'm a bit worried for Carlsen already, he looks so pressured.
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
November 09 2013 09:29 GMT
#235
Oh my god with 10 seconds to spare!!! Anand enters
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
November 09 2013 09:31 GMT
#236
Nf3 it is on
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 09 2013 09:32 GMT
#237
No eye contact at all, lol
oBlade
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States6553 Posts
November 09 2013 09:32 GMT
#238
Looks cramped for a WCC match.
"I read it. You know how to read, you ignorant fuck?" - Andy Dufresne
-Kaiser-
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada932 Posts
November 09 2013 09:35 GMT
#239
Who are the commentators?
3 Hatch Before Cool
nFo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada56 Posts
November 09 2013 09:36 GMT
#240
Man the photographers are kind of distracting, it looks so uncomfortable for them.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 98 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
23:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings46
Liquipedia
OSC
22:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE164
Nina 159
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13859
Artosis 538
PianO 27
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm160
canceldota144
League of Legends
Doublelift3851
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1621
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe111
Other Games
summit1g7761
shahzam611
Day[9].tv466
C9.Mang0386
Maynarde90
Trikslyr52
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV15
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 50
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP29
• RyuSc2 28
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1008
• Shiphtur576
• Day9tv466
Upcoming Events
OSC
23h 21m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 10h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.