• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:57
CEST 07:57
KST 14:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War595.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7764 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 36

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 69 Next
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
November 10 2011 18:13 GMT
#701
I have a problem....i am playing this German, and it says its a demo. And it doesn't let me learn more then 10 words...
Is there a full german or....?
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
Jayjay54
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2296 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 18:17:43
November 10 2011 18:17 GMT
#702
On November 11 2011 03:13 Gotmog wrote:
I have a problem....i am playing this German, and it says its a demo. And it doesn't let me learn more then 10 words...
Is there a full german or....?


yup. you'll need to sign up though

e: also, good luck dude
Things are laid back in Unidenland. And may the road ahead be lid with dreams and tomorrows. Which are lid with dreams. Also.
Yenticha
Profile Joined July 2010
257 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 18:28:32
November 10 2011 18:21 GMT
#703
@gregdetre : the problem with the "only pronunciation" thing with Chinese (and korean?) still exists. Its very frustrating, to the point that I have stopped using this site
Do you plan on fixing it? Either by setting to default the "reading mode", or by simply allowing each user to chose between pronunciation and reading modes? Or, do you plan on letting the "only pronunciation" mode persist on the long term?
to be honest, learning Chinese without the characters makes very little sense.

Thanks a lot for your work by the way!

edit: I do know that one can still have character quizz by clicking on more options, then "learn". But this is more tedious/less fun/interesting than following the indications given by the whole system. Like "there are X plants that need to be watered", and then you have a test specifically on these words. This is what I miss
ShesSoHeavy
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada15 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 19:57:15
November 10 2011 19:52 GMT
#704
Some bugs I'm encountering as of TODAY:

-Being given almost all pronunciation tests while harvesting newly planted (this was never the case before and is very difficult to do, since at this point, you've only seen the word maybe 2 times)

-Partially correct (for instance wrong tone in Mandarin) are still going straight to the next question without showing the correct answer or playing the correct audio, so there's no way to improve on them

-When I accidentally type Pinyin instead of English or vice versa, it is now counting it as incorrect and going on to the next question after I hit okay even though it says to try again! (I think it used to let you re-enter)

-Timer for questions seems to rarely actually count down (seems pretty random when this occurs)

Overall, the site is great though!
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
November 10 2011 20:03 GMT
#705
On November 11 2011 03:13 Gotmog wrote:
I have a problem....i am playing this German, and it says its a demo. And it doesn't let me learn more then 10 words...
Is there a full german or....?


after clicking on the German click on show all wordlists and find one that works for you... unfortunately there aren't that many where the voices have been done, but it's still a great place to start.

On November 11 2011 02:26 seanisgrand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 02:23 tofucake wrote:
Signed up. Started learning German for some reason. It won't give me new words T.T Also I had a miss click on die Kartoffel so I only have 86% on it (stupid touchpad).


Are you only doing the demo? If so it's only 10 words.

Anyone have a suggestion as to a good German wordlist to use after the demo?


It totally depends on your level... I started with comprehensive basic german and it is a really basic place to start. Family members, colors, animals, etc. Then German more basic words is already a bit of a step up with a lot more verbs. I'd say both good, but not too much voice work right now... including a bit where ausziehen and anziehen are both the exact same recording (anziehen).
Jayjay54
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2296 Posts
November 10 2011 20:22 GMT
#706
by the way, is it possible to see your high fives after turning off the email notifications?
Things are laid back in Unidenland. And may the road ahead be lid with dreams and tomorrows. Which are lid with dreams. Also.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
November 10 2011 20:30 GMT
#707
-.- Its refusing to acknowledge the word 'Ne' has been watered - the timer just keeps going no matter how many times you complete it.

(TOPIK korean list)

Also the whole every single answer is correct thing. Sad TT
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
seanisgrand
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1039 Posts
November 10 2011 20:34 GMT
#708
On November 11 2011 05:03 HotShizz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 03:13 Gotmog wrote:
I have a problem....i am playing this German, and it says its a demo. And it doesn't let me learn more then 10 words...
Is there a full german or....?


after clicking on the German click on show all wordlists and find one that works for you... unfortunately there aren't that many where the voices have been done, but it's still a great place to start.

Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 02:26 seanisgrand wrote:
On November 11 2011 02:23 tofucake wrote:
Signed up. Started learning German for some reason. It won't give me new words T.T Also I had a miss click on die Kartoffel so I only have 86% on it (stupid touchpad).


Are you only doing the demo? If so it's only 10 words.

Anyone have a suggestion as to a good German wordlist to use after the demo?


It totally depends on your level... I started with comprehensive basic german and it is a really basic place to start. Family members, colors, animals, etc. Then German more basic words is already a bit of a step up with a lot more verbs. I'd say both good, but not too much voice work right now... including a bit where ausziehen and anziehen are both the exact same recording (anziehen).


Thanks for the suggestion.
This is well below quality expected of a post in any forum. -Empyrean
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
November 10 2011 21:34 GMT
#709
On November 11 2011 04:52 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Some bugs I'm encountering as of TODAY:

-Being given almost all pronunciation tests while harvesting newly planted (this was never the case before and is very difficult to do, since at this point, you've only seen the word maybe 2 times)

-Partially correct (for instance wrong tone in Mandarin) are still going straight to the next question without showing the correct answer or playing the correct audio, so there's no way to improve on them

-When I accidentally type Pinyin instead of English or vice versa, it is now counting it as incorrect and going on to the next question after I hit okay even though it says to try again! (I think it used to let you re-enter)

-Timer for questions seems to rarely actually count down (seems pretty random when this occurs)

Overall, the site is great though!


I'm using a temporary workaround for the first problem. You can force your harvested plants to be based on meaning tests by doing the following:
- Click on the "Harvest Plants" button (or whatever it is called)
- Once the URL appears in the URL bar, append the following without quotes: "&reading_pronunciation=reading" and press enter

That tells the system to only give you reading tests, not pronunciation tests, during harvesting.
ShesSoHeavy
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada15 Posts
November 10 2011 21:45 GMT
#710
On November 11 2011 06:34 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 04:52 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Some bugs I'm encountering as of TODAY:

-Being given almost all pronunciation tests while harvesting newly planted (this was never the case before and is very difficult to do, since at this point, you've only seen the word maybe 2 times)

-Partially correct (for instance wrong tone in Mandarin) are still going straight to the next question without showing the correct answer or playing the correct audio, so there's no way to improve on them

-When I accidentally type Pinyin instead of English or vice versa, it is now counting it as incorrect and going on to the next question after I hit okay even though it says to try again! (I think it used to let you re-enter)

-Timer for questions seems to rarely actually count down (seems pretty random when this occurs)

Overall, the site is great though!


I'm using a temporary workaround for the first problem. You can force your harvested plants to be based on meaning tests by doing the following:
- Click on the "Harvest Plants" button (or whatever it is called)
- Once the URL appears in the URL bar, append the following without quotes: "&reading_pronunciation=reading" and press enter

That tells the system to only give you reading tests, not pronunciation tests, during harvesting.



Good call! Hopefully they fix it so we don't have to do this in the future. I don't think it makes any sense to start testing on pronunciation at the harvesting stage, since it would be almost impossible to have learned it by then.
[KGS]Slacker
Profile Joined November 2009
Denmark82 Posts
November 10 2011 22:11 GMT
#711
TL-ChineseGrack

Learning Mandarin! Having fun so far, but the pronunciations are hard to remember. Will probably take it slow, not in a hurry to get through the whole Mandarin Survival set :D.
Rainmaker5
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States1027 Posts
November 10 2011 22:17 GMT
#712
Oh man, this is too much fun :DDDD

TL-Rainmaker on memrise
(-_(-_(-_(^_(-_(-_(-_-)_-)_-)_-)_-)_-)_-) CJ Fighting! "Beer -> soju -> whisky is a terrible build"~~ Scrarecrow.
Reptilia
Profile Joined June 2010
Chile913 Posts
November 10 2011 22:48 GMT
#713
cool! I'm learning French
un
deux
trois



au revoir, merci for this game.
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Djin)ftw(
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Germany3357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 00:31:22
November 11 2011 00:25 GMT
#714
is anyone learning mandarin with the comprehensive set? ( http://www.memrise.com/set/538/mandarin-comprehensive/)

I dont understand when wei2 (surround) is being used, how to create it (I can write kou3 (口) but not wei2) and if the two words are actually different characters or not (wei2 looks bigger).

Also I looked up a word list for the HSK test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanyu_Shuiping_Kaoshi) but even on level 4 the word is not included (achieving level 4 would be my goal I guess t.t). I think that's a bit strange, I learned lance and dart but not something simple like... hello. name. to be. .....
"jk CLG best mindgames using the baron to counterthrow" - boesthius
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
November 11 2011 00:32 GMT
#715
On November 11 2011 06:45 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 06:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On November 11 2011 04:52 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Some bugs I'm encountering as of TODAY:

-Being given almost all pronunciation tests while harvesting newly planted (this was never the case before and is very difficult to do, since at this point, you've only seen the word maybe 2 times)

-Partially correct (for instance wrong tone in Mandarin) are still going straight to the next question without showing the correct answer or playing the correct audio, so there's no way to improve on them

-When I accidentally type Pinyin instead of English or vice versa, it is now counting it as incorrect and going on to the next question after I hit okay even though it says to try again! (I think it used to let you re-enter)

-Timer for questions seems to rarely actually count down (seems pretty random when this occurs)

Overall, the site is great though!


I'm using a temporary workaround for the first problem. You can force your harvested plants to be based on meaning tests by doing the following:
- Click on the "Harvest Plants" button (or whatever it is called)
- Once the URL appears in the URL bar, append the following without quotes: "&reading_pronunciation=reading" and press enter

That tells the system to only give you reading tests, not pronunciation tests, during harvesting.



Good call! Hopefully they fix it so we don't have to do this in the future. I don't think it makes any sense to start testing on pronunciation at the harvesting stage, since it would be almost impossible to have learned it by then.


Agreed - it's a right pain. I had 56 plants to harvest when this bug appeared, and I almost had to give up, as I hadn't paid any attention to pronunciation when learning them at all. The original system seems to work really well, where they teach meaning first, and then pronunciation. They explained the whole idea behind it in their blog here: http://blog.memrise.com/2011/01/why-does-memrise-teach-meanings-and.html

Hopefully they can test their changes a little more before pushing them live in future, as they are developing quite a captive audience.
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
November 11 2011 00:34 GMT
#716
On November 11 2011 09:25 Djin)ftw( wrote:
is anyone learning mandarin with the comprehensive set? ( http://www.memrise.com/set/538/mandarin-comprehensive/)

I dont understand when wei2 (surround) is being used, how to create it (I can write kou3 (口) but not wei2) and if the two words are actually different characters or not (wei2 looks bigger).

Also I looked up a word list for the HSK test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanyu_Shuiping_Kaoshi) but even on level 4 the word is not included (achieving level 4 would be my goal I guess t.t). I find that a bit strange, I learned lance and dart but not something simple like... hello. name. to be. .....


I'm also learning the comprehensive set.
Wei and Kou are different characters, and yeah, it seems like wei is just bigger. I haven't yet got to a stage where I have to 'create it' though, just had to write the pinyin.

The reason you're learning stuff like lance and dart is that they are radicals. Radicals are the building blocks of other words, so by learning them first it's much easier to learn other words, as you can just see them as combinations of characters you already know, instead of trying to stick the picture in your mind. For example speech (yu3) is made up of mouth, five and word.

If you want more stuff you can use straight away, you could also learn the survival Chinese set at the same time. Hope that helps.

It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
November 11 2011 00:39 GMT
#717
On November 11 2011 09:32 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 06:45 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 11 2011 06:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On November 11 2011 04:52 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Some bugs I'm encountering as of TODAY:

-Being given almost all pronunciation tests while harvesting newly planted (this was never the case before and is very difficult to do, since at this point, you've only seen the word maybe 2 times)

-Partially correct (for instance wrong tone in Mandarin) are still going straight to the next question without showing the correct answer or playing the correct audio, so there's no way to improve on them

-When I accidentally type Pinyin instead of English or vice versa, it is now counting it as incorrect and going on to the next question after I hit okay even though it says to try again! (I think it used to let you re-enter)

-Timer for questions seems to rarely actually count down (seems pretty random when this occurs)

Overall, the site is great though!


I'm using a temporary workaround for the first problem. You can force your harvested plants to be based on meaning tests by doing the following:
- Click on the "Harvest Plants" button (or whatever it is called)
- Once the URL appears in the URL bar, append the following without quotes: "&reading_pronunciation=reading" and press enter

That tells the system to only give you reading tests, not pronunciation tests, during harvesting.



Good call! Hopefully they fix it so we don't have to do this in the future. I don't think it makes any sense to start testing on pronunciation at the harvesting stage, since it would be almost impossible to have learned it by then.


Agreed - it's a right pain. I had 56 plants to harvest when this bug appeared, and I almost had to give up, as I hadn't paid any attention to pronunciation when learning them at all. The original system seems to work really well, where they teach meaning first, and then pronunciation. They explained the whole idea behind it in their blog here: http://blog.memrise.com/2011/01/why-does-memrise-teach-meanings-and.html

Hopefully they can test their changes a little more before pushing them live in future, as they are developing quite a captive audience.


Yes this is pretty frustrating. Even after paying some attention to the tones and saying them as I learned, there was no way to get them right for words I can just about remember the English for, with a strict time limit. After failing I was given the (very good) mnemonics for the pinyin, but I wish I'd had those before being tested...
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
November 11 2011 01:00 GMT
#718
On November 10 2011 22:45 Latedi wrote:
So I got high fived by TL-Pandaz. How do I high five him back without looking for page 1 thousand something? :p

<3 I'm usually somewhere in the top 100 for the day, just not yesterday because of the always correct but I wasn't learning anything and stopped. I noticed you managed to find me somewhere and high five me anyway, cheers. Thanks to everyone else for all the high fives too.
iMYoonA
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia462 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 03:01:38
November 11 2011 01:06 GMT
#719
[image loading]


awww thanks you babes <3

edit: anyone having problems uploading a profile pic? trying to get a picture of Bomber on their but it says invalid image
*yoona | taeyeon | jiyeon | na eun | cho rong | IU | nana | suzy | yejin*
Latedi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden1027 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 01:10:32
November 11 2011 01:08 GMT
#720
On November 11 2011 10:00 Pandaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2011 22:45 Latedi wrote:
So I got high fived by TL-Pandaz. How do I high five him back without looking for page 1 thousand something? :p

<3 I'm usually somewhere in the top 100 for the day, just not yesterday because of the always correct but I wasn't learning anything and stopped. I noticed you managed to find me somewhere and high five me anyway, cheers. Thanks to everyone else for all the high fives too.


Ooh good. I just don't thinking i understand the site completely and then I went on a high five spree.

On November 11 2011 10:06 iMYoonA wrote:
Show nested quote +
[image loading]



awww thanks you babes <3


lol free points.

You know, this "game" utilizes the same psychological trick as farmville.
I am Latedi.
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4723
Leta 1719
Shuttle 697
Shine 42
ZergMaN 20
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm201
League of Legends
JimRising 622
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King40
Other Games
summit1g7628
WinterStarcraft615
Sick147
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick474
BasetradeTV200
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1417
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2165
League of Legends
• Lourlo1041
• Rush771
Other Games
• Shiphtur369
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 3m
Patches Events
9h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 3m
OSC
17h 3m
OSC
1d 6h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.